TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Flop

Hannibal "Aperitif" (OAD 4/4/2013, Spoilers)

SP deleted about 3/4 through. I found it completely unwatchable. The whole "empathy" guy (sorry, forgot his name and can't be bothered to go look it up) reliving the events with the scenes shifting into and out of his imagination and reality multiple times gave me a headache. Could they hire a worse actor for Hannibal? I couldn't understand most of what mumble mouth said. I didn't have high hopes going in, and this failed to even meet my extremely low expectations for a NBC scripted program.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Really? I thought it was fantastic. Lecter *was* hard to understand, but otherwise it was really great.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Roommate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Really? I thought it was fantastic. Lecter *was* hard to understand, but otherwise it was really great.
I agree. I had to turn on subtitles as soon as Hannibal showed up, but other than that I absolutely loved it. I went in expecting to be disappointed, as I was with The Following, but it well exceeded my expectations. I hope it sticks around.
Roommate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

When the camera first showed the face of Lecter, did anyone think he looked like Hitler's twin brother minus the moustache?
As far as the show, I didn't like it enough to give it a season pass.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I was amazed at how quickly Hugh Dancy made Will Graham his own. William Peterson was so freaking brilliant in that role, I thought nobody else could ever be anything but a cheap imitation, but within minutes I was totally convinced.

(It helps that this Will Graham is quite a different character...)

Mads Mikkelsen still hasn't pushed Anthony Hopkins out of my mind, but it's an interesting take.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roommate View Post
I agree. I had to turn on subtitles as soon as Hannibal showed up, but other than that I absolutely loved it. I went in expecting to be disappointed, as I was with The Following, but it well exceeded my expectations. I hope it sticks around.
Yeah, I had to turn on subtitles too. The combination of dense accent + esoteric phrasing made it impossible to decipher without subtitles.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

I'm willing to give Bryan Fuller a chance and see where this goes but I feel a little out of the loop since I've never seen any of the "Lector" movies.
(Although Manhunter is on my watch list.)

But I can't help feeling that the NBC executives keep telling Fuller, "You see, what Hannibal needs is a cult of Lector followers."

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I loved Manhunter very very very very very much (way more than Silence of the Lambs) and I hated this Jack Crawford (not smart enough), hated this Will Graham (too squirrely), and hated this Hannibal Lector (too flat a personality).
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I loved Manhunter very very very very very much (way more than Silence of the Lambs) and I hated this Jack Crawford (not smart enough), hated this Will Graham (too squirrely), and hated this Hannibal Lector (too flat a personality).
But did you like the SHOW??? lol. I jest.

I didn't watch but from what I've read it seems to be getting a lot of praise, which is good. I was starting to actually feel bad for NBC lately with their show launches just tanking. Everyone needs a victory, lol. I was wondering if every single comment was gonna be a rip, but I read things like "a broadcast show that feels like it belongs on cable", which is a big change for something on NBC.

Hopefully it sticks around for those who watch.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
super dave
Upgrade Willy

I didn't care for it at all. I didn't like the phase in and out of reality going over the murders and quite frankly it didn't hold my attention.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
2004raptor

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so but that was because I was tired. I did not like the way the guy did the reinactment or whatever it was. I really wasn't feeling it so far. Maybe I'll try and rewatch it and give it another shot.
2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the empathy flashback sequences have gotta be shortened, have better continuity, and used sparingly - 5 minutes of that plus another 5 of hannibal eating his prey at dinner every week will get old really fast.

i like laurence fishburne as crawford, hugh dancy has the potential to make a great graham, and mads mikkelsen is arrogant and creepy enough for hannibal. if they clean up the production, move the plot along, and cut out the repetition, it has hope.

i try not to judge too much from the pilot, or even the first 6 episodes. i can remember when i was telling everyone i knew about the sopranos, people looked at me and said "james gando-who?".

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

I'll give just about anything a few episodes to get going but this one did nothing for me. No SP or more episodes for me!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
ADG
Allan

Big fan of the Hannibal franchise and really wanted to like this show, but found it tedious. I'll give it another episode or two, but I think both the casting and the directing leave much to be desired. The "empathy scenes" are a little tooooo artistic for my taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
But did you like the SHOW??? lol. I jest.
If it was all there was available I might watch it.
But these days adding a new show to our limited TV time demands that the show be extraordinarily good. What with Netflix, Amazon, DVD's, On Demand, and other 'unnamed sources' the pool from which to choose is larger than ever so a "just OK" show just doesn't cut it any longer.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
jamesl

Silence of the Lambs = one of the dumbest, most boring "thriller" movie ever
(and I do mean the first one)
there was absolutely nothing scary, interesting or suspenseful about the character Hannibal

have no interest in the tv show at all

the only redeeming thing about the movie was that it gave SouthPark something to use
http://youtu.be/jSa9mkAAWsg
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
stellie93

I saw The Silence of the Lambs a million years ago, and all I remember is the mask--like he was going to take a bite out of anyone walking by. If you're going to eat human flesh, at least cook it first.

So I guess I'm missing stuff. No idea who the squirelly guy is and I'm having trouble deciding if a scene is really happening or not. Was the "sausage" human? Also don't know if Hannibal is the murderer in this case, or just a murderer in general. Or maybe we aren't supposed to know that yet.

I thought the other guy was a serial killer too, and was sure he was going to kill that dog. I liked how he slept all surrounded by dogs.

I guess I'll give it another week.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So I guess I'm missing stuff. No idea who the squirelly guy is and I'm having trouble deciding if a scene is really happening or not.
Red Dragon, the book this all started with, was a prequel to Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal was the third book). So if SotL is all you've seen there is backstory you are missing.
That backstory is roughly the time frame of this show.
I'd suggest either reading Red Dragon or watching Manhunter (film version of Red Dragon) if you want to know what is going on because it seems to me this show is going to take it's time telling everything.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
and I'm having trouble deciding if a scene is really happening or not. Was the "sausage" human?
Same here. I was wondering about the sausage as well- anyone have thoughts?
dwells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

here's a review i stumbled on:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/tv-review-hannibal.html

enjoy...or not...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
Test

So in the movie world it's Manhunter (1986), Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal? In that order, none of them are prequels? Red Dragon (2002) is just a remake of Manhunter?
Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
So in the movie world it's Manhunter (1986), Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal? In that order, none of them are prequels? Red Dragon (2002) is just a remake of Manhunter?
That is correct.

Hannibal the TV series is the story of how Will & Hannibal got into the state they were at the beginning of Manhunter/Red Dragon. There is also a movie (and book) called Hannibal Rising which, if the TV series fits into the book/movie continuity, would occur before the series.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

By the way, here is a very interesting interview with showrunner Bryan Fuller in which he discusses (among other things) how he plans to have the show tie into Red Dragon/Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

I thought this was fantastic. I loved the cinematography, the interspersing of crime scene and Will's imagineering of how it happened, and the portrayal of Hannibal. This is going to be an awesome slow burn of a show.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I feel like the Crawford character in the movies was a cipher, so I'm curious to get to know more about him. I liked William Petersen as Graham in Manhunter, and while this is certainly a different take, it also (maybe) reflects a different take on the character. Petersen's Graham is very aloof, whereas Dancy's Graham identifies himself as being on the autism spectrum, something which was not as widely known in the 80s when Manhunter came out. As for Lector, Hopkins is so over-the-top in the role that I think Mikkelsen had no choice but to go the other way with it.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
whitson77
Director Level

I thought it was a great episode. We will see how it works as a series. Hugh Dancy is really good actor and this is a great fit for him.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #28
mattack

So I saw Silence of the Lambs eons ago.. Is there any reason to/not to watch them in storywise-chronological order? Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal?

(I did see Manhunter eons ago on TV, maybe even in a rerun back when I watched reruns…)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #29
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

none that i can think of...the movies stand independently, but hannibal will make more sense following sotl. imho, hannibal should watched be last anyway (it was my least favorite).

Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked the show quite a bit. I'm not sure how it will hold my interest over time, but for now I am very pleased with it. Very visually appealing. A lot more gory and dark than I would expect from a network TV show.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote