TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Project Runway Season 11 - Teams! - all season thread - spoilers to date!

I watched this episode at lunch today (anything to drown out the beeping).

I liked it and I liked the team idea. I think this will be an interesting season.

I also agree with the judges picks for winners and losers. So we are off to a good start!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Ruth
Now with toddler

What happened to Michael Kors?

Also, I have a question about the teams: Is this like Survivor tribes and those the teams for all season (unless there is a reshuffling), or are there going to be different teams every week? It wasn't totally clear to me.

What on earth was Emily DOING all those hours? Someone else made her dress, and she hot-glued her jacket together at the last minute. What did she spend all her time on?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I love the idea of teams for the built-in drama if nothing else...the last few seasons have been a bit "meh" for me...

I do miss Michael Kors-I think he just announced he wasn't coming back and Zac Posen is flat-out adorable so although I miss Michael, Zac is OK for now.

I loved how several members of Team "Keeping it Real" trash talked - I don't remember her name, but her Native American name is Water Lily's-dress as looking like an art project, or like a little kid did it, or worse..then she got one of the highest scores on the winning team! HA!

Then there was major trash talking on the other team, with "I just have to be better than one person..." and then Cindy couldn't take it and even though she probably knew that - um - (sorry, bad with names) - the girl who eventually got sent home was talking sh*t about her behind her back, about her changing careers this late in life, etc, she helped her by making that skirt...I wonder if the judges knew that, and that is why they kept Cindy, since she did actually look out for her teammate.

Anyhoo-it's all puppies and sunshine in this first ep (for the most part) but the previews tell a different story...

Spoiler:
and it does look like they might be switching the teams around...of course, that might be just creative editing....we shall see....

Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
What on earth was Emily DOING all those hours? Someone else made her dress, and she hot-glued her jacket together at the last minute. What did she spend all her time on?
From what they showed us, it appeared that she spent hours and hours fiddling with her muslin.

I suspect they did cut Cindy some slack for tossing together some clothes just so Emily's model didn't have to walk down the runway naked.

Now that it has been demonstrated to both teams that it pays off to work together, I wonder if this will encourage people to be better team players.

We'll see.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Glad that Cindy was kept at least for one more week, just because she did jump in and really help the girl that got cut.

But, what was up with her dress and the red pattern as a belt/waist type thing. I was thinking it may have helped if it was in the same color scheme as the dress. Maybe a grey or tan or dusky color but the red was just too glaring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
But, what was up with her dress and the red pattern as a belt/waist type thing. I was thinking it may have helped if it was in the same color scheme as the dress. Maybe a grey or tan or dusky color but the red was just too glaring.
I have a picture of a vest that Todd Oldham did once, that mixed all sorts of different color values and patterns. It was beautifully balanced. He could have gotten away with doing the checker pattern at the waist like that, because no matter how outrageous the combination of prints turned out, he would have made it work.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

So this episode brought home a question I have had for contestants on any reality show for years- why don't you prepare better?

One would think they have at least a few days or a weeks lead time on having to show up for the actual competition. Use that time!

If I was a contestant on SYTYCD I would be in classes for my weak areas. If I was a contestant on Idol I would be in voice lessons. If I was going to be on Hell's Kitchen you can bet your butt I'd be making risotto and beef Wellington every night. If I was a contestant on a more strategy based show I would be watching every past episode multiple times to find out how things worked.

In this show, I would be honing my sewing skills and finding out the models of machines they used so I could learn them inside and out.
I would also get my ass to MOOD and learn the layout of the store and where every single item was located.
Hell, as the over preparer I am I would likely map the place so I could study at home.

Now you're going to say they get prepaid tickets that only put them in NYC the day the show starts filming.
People- airline tickets can be purchased. It is an expense, sure, but so it taking weeks off your normal job to compete on a show- why would they not invest at least airfare and one nights hotel to enhance their chances?
Many of them fail by not being able to find the correct fabric for their design- the lady wandering around looking for interfacing is one small example. I've seen folks that can't find the right zipper.
This makes no sense to me.
Plan and rehearse every single thing you can. There's enough randomness without not being able to find a good wool blend or screwing up your machine by not understanding how it works and threading it backwards.
And the "I never worked with tulle/chiffon/jersey before."
Well, why not? Do they not sell chiffon in other cities?
Have you never even watched an episode of this show to see what some of the more common pitfalls are?
Do you not know your strengths and weaknesses?
If you are slow to design or a poor pattern maker- get on that!
Practice.

Like I said, I am an over preparer and things like this bug me.
I swear, some of these folks show up looking like they haven't even prepared at all.
Rant over
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
And the "I never worked with tulle/chiffon/jersey before."
Well, why not? Do they not sell chiffon in other cities?
OMG, this one!

I was talking about this with my husband last night, and said that if I were truly serious about going on Project Runway, I would pull out my DVDs, pick out a challenge, set the budget, go to Britex (the closest I have to something like Mood), and actually try to do the challenge in the time allowed. People have 10 seasons of challenges they could use for prep, so why not do them?

Sure, it would be expensive, but the designers need pieces to show at audition anyway, don't they? And if you messed up, you could fix the mistakes before you showed the pieces -- but you'd still have the experience of trying to design and construct your piece under the time limit.

But to address your point -- you don't necessarily have to buy a garment length of something to practice sewing it. Hit the remnant bin, and practice!

And I agree 1000% about the dance classes for SYTYCD. Even if you get nothing but the baby steps down in a new style, you've gotten over the 'culture shock' of the unfamiliar dance, which is the most time-consuming part.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-26-2013 at 11:09 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Cainebj

I was kindof dreading this season when I heard it was going to be all teams but I was wrong - it's not so bad.

My fear was everything was going to be collections and collaborations and we weren't going to get to see what they could do as individuals.

This first challenge perfectly set it up so we could see what they each were capable of...

I am glad Cindy stayed - I am curious as to what her design would have been if she had stuck to her original idea with the long shirt and the pants.

Interesting that the contestants with the most bravado about how great they are in this and the preceding Road to Project Runway sucked the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
What happened to Michael Kors?
Apparently season 10 and season 11 were actually shot back to back and Kors couldn't commit to the ongoing schedule given he has an actual business. From what I heard, he's not gone - just taking a season hiatus.

I did kinda miss him. Posen was a bore.

Quote:
One would think they have at least a few days or a weeks lead time on having to show up for the actual competition. Use that time!
As usual you are SO right! Kindof shocking that no one does on these shows!

Hey curiosity question - does anyone know if there is any evidence of who the most successful former PR contestant is?
Just based on the fact I still hear about him - I would think it was Christian Siriano but it's not like American Idol where we can go look up record sales.
Anyone know?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

..and I'd build fires if I were going on Survivor and learn to drive a stick shift for Amazing Race.

The losing look was such a mess... don't think they could have sent anyone else home but it was a shame as I did like some of her audition pieces.

The funeral director's dress (Cindy?) was awful.... that checkerboard in the middle was so distracting. The fabric was lovely, but the dress was nondescript. Did you happen to notice her house, design studio, and pool? I guess there's good money in the funeral home business !!! She seemed like a lovely lady though so was glad she got another week, anyway.

I miss Michael Kors too, but at least he'll be back for the finale. And so glad to have Tim, Nina and even Heidi back. Such an improvement over all-stars.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
jradosh
Newlywed

So sad my local representative was such a loser! Not only bad at the challenge but a braggart to boot!. That leaves the Thai monk as my next closest local contestant. Go TWO !!!

Boy... the funeral business must pay pretty well. How 'bout that house!

I'm liking the personality of most of the contestants, and the ones I don't like too much are fun to root against, so I'm down for the season. And thank goodness Tim and Heidi are back (but WTF was she wearing at the runway part?!?!? )

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
And thank goodness Tim and Heidi are back (but WTF was she wearing at the runway part?!?!? )
I forgot about that... it was really really ugly.

And looking for this photo, I found that
> Heidi danced on Jay Leno's desk this week, showing off some major thigh
> Michael Kors is making comments on Lifetime & his own website For the losing look, he said: " Emily's total mess was a bad combo of no ideas and zero execution. Her shrug looked like a transparent barber's smock!about the some of the designs. "
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

So we get Zac Posen on screen, and Michael Kors' catty comments on the website? Win-win!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Bob Coxner

I really enjoyed the preview show and getting to know the contestants much better before the competition began. They should do that on all the reality contest shows, such as Amazing Race. There's one for Survivor that airs on the TV Guide channel.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I really enjoyed the preview show and getting to know the contestants much better before the competition began.
I do too and said so last year.
It's great because by the time the first episode starts you feel like you have a pretty good idea of who everyone is...
My only complaint was that Tim Gunn wasn't a part of the audition process. I continue to be SO over Mondo so why he's the head interviewing panelist is beyond me. I realize the past contestants are there for familiarity reasons and the decisions are probably made by the producers - but really? Laura Kathleen?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
My only complaint was that Tim Gunn wasn't a part of the audition process.
Because Tim Gunn (unlike Mondo?) has a life.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Making Balls their Business

It's a KILT!!!

It's NOT a SKIRT!!!!!

I thought it was a cute idea, okay, maybe not the logo right over the crotch, but a ulti-kilt is fun.

I also loved the guy that went homes first design of the shirt looking like a ping pong table. Wish he could have carried that off.

I am getting the feeling of Project runway survivors style. It would be fun if they switched the teams around so the same people aren't on the same teams over and over.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

The judges seemed to be unaware that the panel on the kilt with the slogan on it was sort of in the same location a sporran would be. But it seemed to be just a 'billboard' for the slogan and not a pocket.

I liked the kilt a lot, but in head-to-head judging of the entire outfits, the other ballboy outfit was clearly better.

I really liked the quiver for the ball-retrieval tool. That was genius.

The skort with the built-in server's apron was also genius. Way too short for me, so if I were young and wearing it, I'd have to wear black tights to avoid feeling naked. But that outfit was a brilliant ensemble -- totally recognizable as a server's uniform, but fun and fresh. It was clearly the best of the servers' uniforms, and deserved to win.

Edited to add: I liked the idea of the ping-pong table shirt, but the execution just wasn't there. Pity. But I think the designer fell victim to the same problem I used to have when shopping for fabric -- he went for the color he wanted, without really thinking about whether the fabric would be good for what he wanted to do.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 02-02-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
BrandonRe

I know skirts aren't exactly high fashion, but I was blown away that Susan Sarandon had no idea what they were.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Was there some sort of requirement that they use no color?
I wasn't paying close attention until the end then wondered why everything was black and white.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
I know skirts aren't exactly high fashion, but I was blown away that Susan Sarandon had no idea what they were.
Did you get hit with an auto-correct?

She had never heard of a skort.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
A skort, sometimes called a scooter or 'skant', is a pair of shorts with a fabric panel resembling a skirt covering the front.
As Wikipedia says, the term is a portmanteau of skirt and shorts. ('Skant' is very likely to be a portmanteau of 'skirt' and 'pants'.)

Maybe she's not a big sports fan. Skorts are popular for golf and tennis, and other women's sportswear / team uniforms. You get the look of a skirt in front but the freedom of movement and modesty of shorts.

Quote:
Was there some sort of requirement that they use no color?
I wasn't paying close attention until the end then wondered why everything was black and white.
The black-and-white wasn't required, but it is traditional for server attire in restaurants.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 02-02-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

The black-and-white wasn't required, but it is traditional for server attire in restaurants.
Yeah, I just thought that this particular place could have used some color.
It's not exactly fine dining
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
BrandonRe

Quote:

Did you get hit with an auto-correct?

She had never heard of a skort.
D'oh. Yep, autocorrect for the win.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
Cainebj

Quote:
The judges seemed to be unaware that the panel on the kilt with the slogan on it was sort of in the same location a sporran would be. But it seemed to be just a 'billboard' for the slogan and not a pocket.
I loved the kilt and I don't know what the judges were so offended by. The slogan is Balls are my business so putting it where they did seemed more obvious than anything else especially since it was in fact a sporran.

I have always loved Sarandon but "my guys wouldn't wear a dress" in a hip place like Spin?
Maybe you need to get some new guys.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
jradosh
Newlywed

How can the judges (or Susan Sarandon for that matter) get all prissy about the logo placement when the slogan is "Balls Are Out Business" Once you've "gone there" with the double-entendre why is placement such an issue?

Oh, and what the heck is up with the whole "ping pong and party" theme anyway? Is this a new trend that I'm unaware of, or is this really a start-up thing that they're just now launching? I've never heard of "Spin" or similar establishments (but I have heard of "skorts" )

I noticed the winner was wearing the same top as Heidi was during last week's runway segment. It looked better on her (whatever her name is).

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Cainebj

Quote:
Oh, and what the heck is up with the whole "ping pong and party" theme anyway? Is this a new trend that I'm unaware of, or is this really a start-up thing that they're just now launching?
If I got this right ...
Sarandon invested in a pool / billiards bar that was super successful and did become a big NYC trend.

I am guessing the ping pong concept is an offshoot of that.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
How can the judges (or Susan Sarandon for that matter) get all prissy about the logo placement when the slogan is "Balls Are Out Business" Once you've "gone there" with the double-entendre why is placement such an issue?
That is what I was wondering at one point. SS not knowing what a skort was is incredible. I mean she just seemed very, well, dumb about a couple things. Almost like she was trying to follow the other judges leads instead of thinking for herself. I would have thought she would have thought men in kilts were sexy and often men really do enjoy wearing them.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

'Sport kilts' or street-wear kilts have been around for a while now. I can't blame SS for being oblivious to them, but the fashion people should have known about them. If you compare the dropped-crotch pants and the kilt idea, isn't the kilt more fashion-forward, and more fresh?

On the other hand, I agree with the judges' comments that the top didn't pair up with the kilt very well.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

"Surprise Me"

I thought the winning team was heads and shoulders above the losing team.. again. There were some hot messes; I liked Cindy but it was time for her to go.

I liked the winning looks quite a bit. However, once again, I thought Heidi looked pretty awful. And what was Zac's suit made from? Looked like something from a 1970's prom to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
Ruth
Now with toddler

They are going to have to shuffle the teams pretty soon. I like the concept, but the teams are so lopsided that it's keeping the strong members of the Dream Team from getting any recognition, and allowing the weak members of Keeping It Real to skate by every week.

Or maybe enough dead weight has been cut from the Dream Team that they might actually start winning? I suppose in theory that should happen, but they still have some pretty weak links (Ben).

Last edited by Ruth : 02-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote