TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Happy Endings moving to Friday, so ABC can run another crappy reality show

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...friday/169439/

Quote:
ABC announces midseason scheduling moves, with “Celebrity Wife Swap,” the reality series that shines a light on how controversial celebrities really live their lives, returning on TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26 with all-new episodes, and competitive cooking show “The Taste” moving back an hour, starting that same night. Beginning FRIDAY, MARCH 29, critically acclaimed comedy “Happy Endings” will move to Friday nights, airing back-to-back original episodes from 8:00-9:00 p.m., ET.
WTF ABC? Do that many people really watch this reality crap? I'm guessing this is the kiss of death for Happy Endings. Friday night burnoff of remaining episodes.

This is one more night I now watch nothing on ABC {sigh}
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Don't know about burn-off but I'm happy to see Happy Endings move: I rarely get to see it at its current timeslot.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

WTF ABC? Do that many people really watch this reality crap? I'm guessing this is the kiss of death for Happy Endings. Friday night burnoff of remaining episodes.

+1

I hate those fu****g shows.

They are inane, scripted, predictable, old hat rubbish.

I know it's like shouting in a hurricane, but as much as possible I boycott any products advertised on them.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
mattack

Unless you WRITE TO THE NETWORK AND THE SPONSORS, your "boycott" is entirely meaningless… (and even if you do, it's virtually 100% meaningless)

BTW, I like some reality shows.. But this is a burnoff of a good show (2 new eps/week)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
I know it's like shouting in a hurricane, but as much as possible I boycott any products advertised on them.
Really? You keep track? Who sponsored "The Bachelor" this week?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Really? You keep track? Who sponsored "The Bachelor" this week?
It's an imperfect system
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

The answer must be YES, since we keep getting them. While not a fan of Happy Endings, I'm always discouraged when scripted shows get pushed for more drivel like this. You know how to stop it? Get people not to watch. When rating plummet (and obviously, you have to believe the ratings are a true representative of who's actually watching, advertisers still do) for these shows they will stop producing them. Conversely if ratings start to rise for scripted shows, more will be created.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

...and the TV snobs come out to play.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
remington24601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Isn't this thread pretty much intended for them?
remington24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington24601 View Post
Isn't this thread pretty much intended for them?
??

I don't get it
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm guessing the comment was directed at my phrase "crappy reality show", hence snobbery in action (IOW, me).

And that's ok, it is a form of snobbery. I used to watch reality shows, but got tired of the gross manipulation by the producers. Whether it's Survivor, Loser or Idol, it may be unscripted, but they still play us (the viewers, that is). And my resentment is because every reality show takes a spot a well-written drama or sitcom could have.

I can only hope that more people get tired of reality shows as time passes, and we see them slowly fade away. Unlikely, but one can hope, eh?

In the ratings, I noticed BBT handily beat Idol last night. A few years ago, Idol was the undisputed King Kong of TV. There's hope!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
remington24601

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
??

I don't get it
Really? WhiskeyTango is saying all the folks who like to look down their noses at the unwashed masses who watch reality TV are starting to post here. Then I said the thread was designed for that purpose in the first place (look at the thread title). I'm surprised it took someone who watches so much reality TV to explain that.
remington24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Oh, and it's not just ratings. It cost a pittance to produce the average reality show, compared to a scripted show. So the networks love 'em.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Oh, and it's not just ratings. It cost a pittance to produce the average reality show, compared to a scripted show. So the networks love 'em.
^This. Even with equal ratings, the networks will pick a crappy reality show over a good scripted show. And, yes, I detest reality carp.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington24601 View Post
Really? WhiskeyTango is saying all the folks who like to look down their noses at the unwashed masses who watch reality TV are starting to post here. Then I said the thread was designed for that purpose in the first place (look at the thread title). I'm surprised it took someone who watches so much reality TV to explain that.
Okay.

I guess.

But you can dislike reality shows without making any kind of statement about those who do like them.

I know lots of people who love reality shows and I've never considered that to be a flaw in their character.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The thing is, there are GOOD reality shows and then there is drivel. There are also 10 copies of successful shows. How many copies of Idol are there? How many copies of Survivor? Or of Jersey Shore? Really, what is original about Celebrity Wife Swap? Nothing, it's just a slightly different take on a dozen other shows. We've gotten to the point where there's just nothing new or original any more. Look at the ratings for AI or Survivor and you can see people are tired of those too.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

lol wait till ABC's Celebrity Diving next month....
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
the reality series that shines a light on how controversial celebrities really live their lives
Sad part is that a lot of people will actually believe that statement
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Happy endings a great show that is doomed. Nobody watches.
I'm hoping it winds up with a new life on TBS like Cougar Town did.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Azlen

I'm wondering if we are seeing and inflection point with television viewing. Do No Harm and Zero Hour debuted to historically low ratings. Ratings this week, in the middle of sweeps, seem to be down from normal with shows like Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy hitting lows. Meanwhile Walking Dead is breaking all kinds of records. I don't know if Netflix is going to make their money back on House of Cards but it's something that people are watching and talking about. I'm curious to see where network television is headed and what it will look like in 5 years.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Isn't there an According to Jim forum somewhere you can grace with your presence instead?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The thing is, there are GOOD reality shows and then there is drivel.
You're half right...

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #23
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Isn't there an According to Jim forum somewhere you can grace with your presence instead?
Never watched that show but that's exactly what I'm talking about. You somehow feel you are better than me based on what we watch on TV, or rather what you THINK I watch. It all comes back to the 3rd grade level "You don't like what I like? Well that's because you're dumb" argument.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I don't watch any reality TV show either, but it doesn't upset me that they exist. Somebody is watching them.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The thing is, there are GOOD reality shows and then there is drivel. There are also 10 copies of successful shows. How many copies of Idol are there? How many copies of Survivor? Or of Jersey Shore?
To be fair, the copying you mention also happens for scripted shows. It is not unique to really TV.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I don't watch any reality TV show either, but it doesn't upset me that they exist. Somebody is watching them.
Same here.

I don't know where WhiskyTango is coming from, but his own comments might be construed as offensive by some.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
mrdazzo7

It's a matter of preference. There has to be some merit to what the networks are doing, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. If we went back 13 years ago, you'd see me saying "man I can't wait until a couple of years go by so this god forsaken fad can be over with", but over a decade later, and it hasn't gone anywhere.

I hate the fact that scripted TV is getting completely decimated while these shows are trippling in numbers every week. I just don't understand how someone can sit and watch 47 cycles of The Bachelor and still care. I've watched Biggest Loser for about five years now, and every season I care less and less to the point where now I watch about 30 minutes of every episode, MAX. It's all filler and nonsense. They give it a two hour block because it costs them 1/100th the price and they get a better return (which is business 101). But I'm sure no one involved thinks 2 hours a week is necessary.

If somoene likes these shows then fine, it has nothing to do with people who watch them. It just sucks because they're terrible AND they're ruining TV...lol. If a scripted show isn't a hit right out of the gate, it's gone. Happy Endings is hysterical, and they did give it three seasons, so I can't knock them for that... but with that, Don't Trust the B, and Ben and Kate getting canceled, and 30 Rock / The Office ending, and my interest in Modern Family evaporating overnight, I have no single-camera comedies left.

I blame the viewers too though - the fact is, if people watched scripted shows more then those shows would be where they should be - at the top the food chain. But when a show has been on for three seasons and still pulls in lower ratings than season 32 of The Bachelorette, guess what's gonna get a green light.

I wish networks didn't have to care about ad dollars and could keep shows on based on ACTUAL viewership (TV airings, DVR, downloads, streaming, etc) but until they come up with a new system (and stop caring about revenue), we're stuck.

This is why I love what's happening on cable and basic cable right now. Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Banshee... thank god for those networks because regular TV is killing me lately. The Following, Criminal Minds, and eventually Revolution are the only ones I'm into now.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
If a scripted show isn't a hit right out of the gate, it's gone. Happy Endings is hysterical, and they did give it three seasons, so I can't knock them for that... but with that, Don't Trust the B, and Ben and Kate getting canceled, and 30 Rock / The Office ending, and my interest in Modern Family evaporating overnight, I have no single-camera comedies left.
If a scripted show isn't a hit right away, it's gone? You kind of undercut your own point there-- three of the four low-rated shows you mentioned (which I've bolded for emphasis) had very low ratings and were given multiple seasons to find an audience.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I wish networks didn't have to care about ad dollars and could keep shows on based on ACTUAL viewership (TV airings, DVR, downloads, streaming, etc) but until they come up with a new system (and stop caring about revenue), we're stuck.
I don't think we are ever going to see the day when they stop caring about revenue. Why would any for profit business ever do that?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I don't think we are ever going to see the day when they stop caring about revenue. Why would any for profit business ever do that?
Obviously, they're going to chase the $$$. The problem is, we seem to be in a race to the bottom. Reality stuff is cheap! Which means that scripted shows don't just have to be more popular, they have to be popular enough to overcome the cost advantage of the Reality stuff.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote