TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Top Gear USA - Season 6 Thread

Top Gear USA finally came back last week. Apparently Adam Ferrara hurt his shoulder pretty badly during the taping of the last episode of S5 and by the time he was healed, Tanner and Rutledge had scheduling problems so that's why the show was off the air for 18 months.

So far, three episodes have aired:

S05E01: Mapping the Rubicon Trail - The guys each buy a 4x4 and borrow a military-grade 360 degree camera to tackle the Rubicon Trail through the Sierra Nevadas and map the trail for Google Street View.

S05E02: America vs. Europe - The guys each buy a car from the country of their ancestors (England, Germany, Italy) and test them against each other and then they get to drive modern supercars from those countries against a US supercar.

S05E03: 24 Hours of LeMons - The guys each buy a $500 car and test them against each other to see which is the best, then they enter their car in the 24 Hours of LeMons series at Sonoma Raceway.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Episode 2: I found it really hard to believe that the national anthems were the same length. No way did the Viper do nearly two laps while the McLaren didn't even finish one in allegedly the same amount of time.

Episode 3: Wasn't there an episode of the British show where May went over 400 km/h in a Veyron? I'm surprised the US show would go to all the trouble of having Tanner go to Sweden to drive the Koenigsegg to "only" go 362 km/h. Seems like they should have found a longer track/runway so Tanner could try to at least come closer to the Bugatti.

I know this show isn't nearly as good as the British version, and I can't wait for Jezza, Hamster, and Capt. Slow to release their new Amazon show, but until then, this version is still relatively fun to watch.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I suddenly want to catch up on this show. I think I quit watching during or after season 2.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
osu1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Episode 2: I found it really hard to believe that the national anthems were the same length. No way did the Viper do nearly two laps while the McLaren didn't even finish one in allegedly the same amount of time.

Episode 3: Wasn't there an episode of the British show where May went over 400 km/h in a Veyron? I'm surprised the US show would go to all the trouble of having Tanner go to Sweden to drive the Koenigsegg to "only" go 362 km/h. Seems like they should have found a longer track/runway so Tanner could try to at least come closer to the Bugatti.

I know this show isn't nearly as good as the British version, and I can't wait for Jezza, Hamster, and Capt. Slow to release their new Amazon show, but until then, this version is still relatively fun to watch.

They were on Volkswagens private high speed oval track, Ehra Lessein, with its 9km long straightaway for the Veyrons runs with capt slow.

osu1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I suddenly want to catch up on this show. I think I quit watching during or after season 2.
Set your OP to new & repeats.. They have been re-airing previous episodes. (As much as I generally avoid repeats of shows (since they're often modified/cut from the original airing), various cable channel original shows are ones I've loosened my stance on, as they're generally the first thing I nuke to make space.)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
MarkofT

Quote:

May has done the high speed run in a Veyron twice, IIRC. He's also gone up in a U2 so of the original trio, he's the fastest and highest Top Gear presenter.

They adjusted the length of the anthems to match. There was quite a lot of ad libbing by the guitarist during the USA anthem. The McLaren was damaged by the time Rut got it. That's why his top speed run on the causeway was so much lower then the other two. That wasn't your standard Viper either. It's an ACR, American Club Racer. It is a racecar with headlights and the slowest Viper, according to the listed top speed which is due to the excessive aero that almost doubles the drag of a standard Viper. Plus it was a Stig (alone) driving while the McLaren had Rut and a rather large lady to tote around.

In other comments, I quite enjoyed Tanner's entry with the Porsche at the beginning of the episode.

MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
Bob Coxner

It looks like Top Gear USA has been cancelled. http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-usa-app...nel-1782663776 It's really too bad. I thought his season has been great and the team chemistry was solid.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
It looks like Top Gear USA has been cancelled. http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-usa-app...nel-1782663776 It's really too bad. I thought his season has been great and the team chemistry was solid.
Bummer. I quit watching it a couple of years ago but picked up this season when they did a weekend marathon a few weeks back. When you quit thinking of it as Top Gear it is pretty good.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I saw the description of them driving the Rubicon and started watching again. I was looking if the show was on Hulu and watched a bit of the first episode. The show was really following the Top Gear formula. I forgot that's how it was. This most recent season was good. They just did their own thing.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/h...aking/?ref=yfp

Old 06-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

That article makes a good point that the BBC still owns the show and History Channel was just a licensing partner, so if the BBC feels there's still value in the concept, they could certainly shop it around and see if anyone else wants to partner with them to keep producing episodes.

However, I doubt anyone will make any decisions until we see how TGT on Amazon fares. If it's a big success, it could generate more interest in the genre. But if it fizzles, and the original UK version certainly seems to be fading as well, then that could spell the end of the whole franchise.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I haven't watched regularly in years, but peeked in once a season or so to see if it improved (it didn't). It's a miracle that this show survived 6 seasons with a cast that didn't jell from day one. Everyone is complaining about the UK version, especially Evans BUT it has better chemistry between hosts even with all the reports of friction than the US version ever had. I'm anxiously awaiting The Grand Tour to bring back the type of car show UK Top Gear took away and US Top Gear never delivered. I hope it doesn't fizzle!

Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I watched the Cuba episode last night. I was kind of sad when it was over knowing that was the end for the show.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think Velocity would be an excellent home for Top Gear USA... much better fit than History Channel.

LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #15
RonDawg
TiVo Forum Special Member

I have been watching this latest (and last) season of TG:US and find it more entertaining than the current TG:UK. Too bad it's been cancelled.

2016 is going to be a rough year for us gearheads: the cancellation of Fifth Gear, and TG:US now that it's become better than its UK counterpart, and possibly TG:UK itself if it doesn't fix things soon. Hopefully TGT won't let us down.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #16
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
Everyone is complaining about the UK version, especially Evans BUT it has better chemistry between hosts even with all the reports of friction than the US version ever had.
Oh hell no. TG:US hosts aren't exactly made for being in front of the camera, but it's far better than the so-called "chemistry" of the current UK version.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Such a shame, Adam eh, I liked Tanner, and Loved Rutledge.

The only thing I didn't like was that Tanner was a much much better driver than the rest of the crew, they had to fake stuff to try and keep things fair.

Hope another network picks it up.

billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
RonDawg

Quote:
I watched the Cuba episode last night.
I finally got to watch the Cuba episode last night. While not the best of this season (the military one was my favorite) I enjoyed it for allowing us a glimpse into Cuba's auto scene. That said, those cars were in a lot worse shape than I always thought. Once the embargo lifts, I can't see too many of those being repatriated to the US and restored; perhaps some (especially rarer models) might be bought up for whatever original parts still remain and that aren't easily sourced over here.

I also take issue with a glaring error that could have been avoided with just a quick Wikipedia search. Rutledge's '57 Bel Air wagon was retrofitted with a diesel truck engine which he said was from a Hino, a "Chinese" truck manufacturer. No Rut, Hino is a Japanese company and is actually part of the Toyota Group. They've even sold some trucks here, though they're much rarer than Isuzu, much less North American brands like Freightliner or Mack. The engine could very well be from a Chinese truck, but then it wouldn't have come from a Hino.

About the embargo: does anybody know if you could get parts for US cars into Cuba via other countries like Canada or Mexico? I ask because in some scenes I saw some recent-vintage US Ford Econoline vans in the background.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
I finally got to watch the Cuba episode last night. While not the best of this season (the military one was my favorite) I enjoyed it for allowing us a glimpse into Cuba's auto scene. That said, those cars were in a lot worse shape than I always thought. Once the embargo lifts, I can't see too many of those being repatriated to the US and restored; perhaps some (especially rarer models) might be bought up for whatever original parts still remain and that aren't easily sourced over here.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Will auto parts stores become common and all those old cars being held together with bailing wire and duct tape will start to be properly maintained? Or will imported cars become so much more commonplace that it will no longer make sense to keep all those 50s cars running?

Old 07-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
RonDawg

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens. Will auto parts stores become common and all those old cars being held together with bailing wire and duct tape will start to be properly maintained? Or will imported cars become so much more commonplace that it will no longer make sense to keep all those 50s cars running?
Assuming the lifting of the embargo will have direct economic benefits* I think most of the owners of these cars will want to move on something more reliable. They do this because they have no other choice. I read an article in one of the major car magazines a long time ago that these cars are usually handed down through the generations, and if true means some of them are literally driving their (grand)father's Oldsmobile!

There will be some that will hang on to their cars for nostalgia purposes, but I suspect most won't if given the opportunity to drive something else newer and more reliable.

*I have my doubts, but that's for another thread

Last edited by RonDawg; 07-03-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #21
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post

I also take issue with a glaring error that could have been avoided with just a quick Wikipedia search. Rutledge's '57 Bel Air wagon was retrofitted with a diesel truck engine which he said was from a Hino, a "Chinese" truck manufacturer. No Rut, Hino is a Japanese company and is actually part of the Toyota Group. They've even sold some trucks here, though they're much rarer than Isuzu, much less North American brands like Freightliner or Mack. The engine could very well be from a Chinese truck, but then it wouldn't have come from a Hino.

About the embargo: does anybody know if you could get parts for US cars into Cuba via other countries like Canada or Mexico? I ask because in some scenes I saw some recent-vintage US Ford Econoline vans in the background.
If you're curious about the Cuban car scene there was a really good series recently on Discovery called Cuban Chrome. You may be able to find it somewhere. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/cuban-chrome/ The quality isn't good but I found one full episode on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1MoS_S320k

As for parts, Cuban-Americans are allowed to travel back and forth to visit family. Some of them bring car parts in their luggage.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
MarkofT

Not to mention that the USSR tended to make parts quite similar to what the West used in their cars. I seem to recall that points from a Lada work perfectly in a Chevy.

MarkofT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #23
Bob Coxner

The craziest Frankenstein car I saw on Cuban Chrome had an engine from a boat. Apparently it's not that uncommon there.

By necessity, Cubans are amazing mechanics. They seemed to be able to fabricate all kinds of parts from unlikely sources.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:05 AM   #24
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The craziest Frankenstein car I saw on Cuban Chrome had an engine from a boat.
I believe Chrysler had marine versions of some of their famous engines including the Slant Six.