TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Doggie Bear

24: Live Another Day "8:00 pm - 9:00 pm" OAD 6/30/14

Just 2 more episodes left! Recap at my blog.

* Were you expecting Navarro to get hit by a car or bus while running away from Jack? I sure was. I'm glad the writers didn't take the cheap way out.

* Jack's interrogation didn't seem very effective, given what we know about his skills as the MacGyver of torture, which was a clue that a longer game was in play. Again, I'm glad that the writers came up with a new way of getting information out of someone rather than resort to more torture.

* That was a very nice scene in the car between Jack and Kate, where Kate was visibly torn with grief as she confessed that the last time she saw her husband in prison, he could see that she didn't believe in his innocence, and realizing that was most likely why he committed suicide. And then asking Jack how you get over that, and Jack saying "you just do," and then admitting to his having taken as much revenge as any person possibly could, and that it cost him everything he had left, and it didn't help.

* We're still waiting for the time jumps -- 10 hours have gone by, 2 episodes left, and 14 hours left in the "24" day. I briefly thought that the car crash with the Russians could have left Jack unconscious and eaten up a bunch of time, but nope. Perhaps the scene with the President's being told that Air Force One is ready means that 5-6 hours will be occupied by a trans-Atlantic flight back to the U.S.

* The last we saw of Chang was being taken into custody by then-CTU head Bill Buchanan at the end of season 6. How is he out now? Well, I guess if you total up the time between the end of season 6 until the start of "Live Another Day," something like 9 1/2 years have passed. I suppose he could've gotten a sentence shorter than that.

* When the Chinese capture Adrian and Chloe and take the override device, Adrian tells them that hacker Yates altered it so that it could be used only on drones. Chang tells him to restore it, and Adrian confesses that he lacks the technical skills to do so. Chang turns to Chloe and expects that she can do it. Now, I know that Chloe is a tech nerd goddess, but on multiple occasions on this day, we've seen Chloe ask Adrian for help. How is Chloe able to restore the override device when Adrian can't?

* I've been saying this for several weeks now, but I really love how tightly plotted this season has been. There really haven't been any extraneous subplots; Kate's husband, the Russians, the rendition order, Jordan Reed's murder - they all tie in to the main plot.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

Nobody was thrown out a window. This show sucks now.

I'm glad Aidrian caught a bullet upside his arrogant head.

The Russian subplot needs to go away.

The "Next week on 24..." gave away a lot.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I was really annoyed that Jack didn't hop onto the back of the underground car, break his way into the back, then shoot his way to Chloe.

Now, THAT is the way to do a twist. I didn't see the Chinese dude coming, and he still doesn't know Jack's involved. It's gonna be fun.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Wouldn't it be neat if the show ended with a full-out nuclear war between Russia and China over who gets Jack?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wouldn't it be neat if the show ended with a full-out nuclear war between Russia and China over who gets Jack?
Remember the small scale nuclear bomb that went off in LA a few seasons ago? No "fallout" from that event.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
* We're still waiting for the time jumps -- 10 hours have gone by, 2 episodes left, and 14 hours left in the "24" day.
Did they actually say it was going to be a full 24 hours (of story time)?

I thought they were just making 12.. (and last night, I was thinking they should have called it "12", or for familiarity, do something cutesy like "24 / 2" and make the "/2" part much smaller.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
EscapeGoat
wPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought they were just making 12.. (and last night, I was thinking they should have called it "12", or for familiarity, do something cutesy like "24 / 2" and make the "/2" part much smaller.)
I think the working title was "12: Under the Drone", but they didn't want to be held to those higher expectations of plot development and script writing.
EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
* We're still waiting for the time jumps -- 10 hours have gone by, 2 episodes left, and 14 hours left in the "24" day. I briefly thought that the car crash with the Russians could have left Jack unconscious and eaten up a bunch of time, but nope. Perhaps the scene with the President's being told that Air Force One is ready means that 5-6 hours will be occupied by a trans-Atlantic flight back to the U.S.
The President already told Audrey to have Air Force One stand down, saying they weren't going anywhere until the situation is resolved.

Quote:
* The last we saw of Chang was being taken into custody by then-CTU head Bill Buchanan at the end of season 6. How is he out now? Well, I guess if you total up the time between the end of season 6 until the start of "Live Another Day," something like 9 1/2 years have passed. I suppose he could've gotten a sentence shorter than that.
In the show Chloe says that Cheng was supposed to be in prison in China so apparently they traded him and he got out somehow.

Quote:
* When the Chinese capture Adrian and Chloe and take the override device, Adrian tells them that hacker Yates altered it so that it could be used only on drones. Chang tells him to restore it, and Adrian confesses that he lacks the technical skills to do so. Chang turns to Chloe and expects that she can do it. Now, I know that Chloe is a tech nerd goddess, but on multiple occasions on this day, we've seen Chloe ask Adrian for help. How is Chloe able to restore the override device when Adrian can't?
I believe the idea is that the different hackers have different skills, that's why they were all needed.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #9
Church AV Guy

I think the big conflict at the end of the season will be over the world shortage of eye makeup that Chloe is creating.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

I could buy into the fact that the override device could control drones but have a hard time believing that it can also send verifiable launch codes to a submarine. I'm also surprised that a submarine commander would fire on a Chinese carrier without checking with his superiors. Maybe they're trained to immediately act on orders without question but you'd think he'd at least check for a declaration of war against China first.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
toddvj

I thought the immediate firing of missiles seemed a bit strange too. Wasn't there like a whole movie (Crimson Tide) about whether to fire or not?

I love "The Override Device." Reminds me of the Ultimate Nullifier.
toddvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I could buy into the fact that the override device could control drones but have a hard time believing that it can also send verifiable launch codes to a submarine. I'm also surprised that a submarine commander would fire on a Chinese carrier without checking with his superiors. Maybe they're trained to immediately act on orders without question but you'd think he'd at least check for a declaration of war against China first.
Yeah, I was WTFing over that one.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
dtle

From the documentaries I've watched about the launch sites (sub and underground), part of the personnel's fitness is to act on orders without any reserve. The actions of Crimson Tide was unique, since the order to rescind was interrupted by a communication disruption.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I think the big conflict at the end of the season will be over the world shortage of eye makeup that Chloe is creating.
Chloe Winehouse
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Azlen

Quote:
Where's Denzel when you need him??
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I may be wrong on this but I could swear I heard that the plan isn't called "Air Force One" until the president is actually on board. Anyone else hear this or am I crazy?

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
I may be wrong on this but I could swear I heard that the plan isn't called "Air Force One" until the president is actually on board. Anyone else hear this or am I crazy?
I vaguely remember hearing that too. Though that doesn't eliminate the second option.

BEEP
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Ereth

While that might technically be true (any Air Force aircraft carrying the President is "Air Force One" by definition) and the call sign changes when he's on board, I don't think that the staff and President wouldn't simply call it "Air Force One" out of simplicity.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

when nixon resigned, the plane was redisignated "sam 27000" mid flight once ford was sworn into office (no president was on board).

also, it's "executive one foxtrot" when the president's family is on board.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If they are going to question every order then they wouldn't be very effective. Especially if you have dozens of nuclear missles headed our way. You would need to fire back while you were able. If they didn't follow the order then i would think that would be odd.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
randian

They did hesitate once they saw what was being ordered, but since it had an authentic code they had no choice.

The question is how the Chinese got that code. All the override device did was let them give the fake order to the sub, it didn't give them the code nor knowledge of the exact format sub orders are formatted in. The sub's code couldn't be remotely hacked because it was on paper in a locked safe. There is a spy/traitor (most likely traitor since 24 is so fond of moles) we haven't seen yet.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The sub's code couldn't be remotely hacked because it was on paper in a locked safe.
If you don't think computer hackers on 24 can write programs that can look at papers in locked safes, then obviously you don't really watch this show.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #23
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
You're correct. The Boeing 747-based VC-25A planes normally used for Air Force One are known as SAM (Special Air Mission) 28000 and SAM 29000 when not carrying the President.

Similarly, any plane that the President is aboard almost always* takes on the "<whatever> One" designation (Marine One, Air Force One, Executive One [for commercial flights, if it ever happened again], etc.) This was depicted in fictional form in the movie Air Force One, where they had the line of dialogue from the pilot "Liberty 24 is changing callsigns. Liberty 24 is now Air Force One" once the President was aboard.

* There has been at least one incident where the President, attempting to fly incognito, flew aboard a secondary aircraft while SAM 28000 flew ahead under the "Air Force One" callsign.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
* There has been at least one incident where the President, attempting to fly incognito, flew aboard a secondary aircraft while SAM 28000 flew ahead under the "Air Force One" callsign.
Which President? Was this on 9/11?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Which President? Was this on 9/11?
No, Clinton. (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...ow/5071226.cms)

For some reason, I seem to recall Obama on a secret trip to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan where he may have done something similar, but I can't find an article that definitively says he wasn't on AF1 when he did so.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #26
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Chloe Winehouse

I loved the scene where Kate and Jack tricked Navarro into giving them the tracking code.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #27
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
I loved the scene where Kate and Jack tricked Navarro into giving them the tracking code.
It was fun, but really what's Navarro's thinking here? "I'll tell them the secret code which is the only reason anyone cares if I'm alive, that will definitely keep Kate from shooting me in the head!" Err... ok....

I mean, I know it's a TV show. And 24.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It was fun, but really what's Navarro's thinking here? "I'll tell them the secret code which is the only reason anyone cares if I'm alive, that will definitely keep Kate from shooting me in the head!" Err... ok....

I mean, I know it's a TV show. And 24.
I don't think Navarro was thinking beyond "Agh, I'm gonna die!!!one!". And maybe "Oh carp" when he realized he'd been played like a fiddle.

BEEP
Old 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I don't think Navarro was thinking beyond "Agh, I'm gonna die!!!one!". And maybe "Oh carp" when he realized he'd been played like a fiddle.
I thought it was within the realm of possibility for Navarro to react the way he did. He knew that Kate knew that he was responsible for her husband's suicide. I think he really believed Kate would kill him and I thought that was realistic...not much on this show is realistic, but I thought that scene played out well.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #30
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Did they actually say it was going to be a full 24 hours (of story time)
Spoiler:
The final episode is titled "Day 9: 10:00 p.m. – 11:00 a.m." on my To Do list.

Last edited by CraigK : 07-03-2014 at 06:08 PM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote