TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
jkeegan

The Leftovers S1E2 "Penguin One, Us Zero" 7/6/2014

Wow people are lazy to not post a new thread (and talk about this week's episode in last week's thread).

I was underwhelmed by the pilot. I liked this episode more. We'll see where this goes.

The daughter absolutely interacted with the guy, took beer from him, and then later asked "who was that?".

I liked the questions the woman was asking of the elderly couple that lost their son.. "Had he (recently/ever?) been to Brazil?".. And she hugged the guy handing out pamphlets that screamed "IT'S NOT THE RAPTURE!! THIS WOMAN BEAT HER KID!!", so that's probably where he's getting his data from.. And SHE probably is working for this relief fund specifically because she wants to find out WHY some people disappeared and others didn't, since her whole family disappeared (yet she didn't).

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Test

Season threads spoil us.

From other thread:
I don't think the friend acknowledged the mystery man...he of course blatantly jumped out of her way. The daughter did acknowledge him...something that runs in the family? OR he really was there and the friend is just rude.

Also, realized this during yesterday's episode...it would stink to have actually been abducted on that day. Is anyone looking for you? Wonder how many people ran away and started new lives from this event?!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Jim_TV

I agree, the fact that the police chief found the bagel in the toaster and the fact that the daughter saw the guy with the truck and took the beer probably means he is real and not imaginary.

But why did that teenage girl need hand lotion immediately when they were in the car watching that Nora woman ask that older couple questions? It makes no sense. I mean you're on a caper, following someone, trying to stay low profile so they don't notice you. And all of a sudden you desperately need hand lotion so badly that you are willing to open up the vehicle of the person you are stalking right in the driveway in full view of the window on the off chance she has hand lotion in the car? Really? It was that important at that moment? Was she just being an impulsive teenage girl? Or does the guy that wrote the novel this is based on have a hand lotion fetish along with a smoking fetish?
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
stellie93

So when his Dad said "they" were sending someone to help him--was that just his illness, or does he really know something? Or was he never crazy at all, but he's just in touch with whatever this is all about? Lots of times in sci fi crazy people can see and understand out there stuff that normal people can't. I'm liking this a little more--it has possibilities.

If it were really the Rapture, then a lot of bad stuff should be following right along--plagues and pestilence and earthquakes and such. If life just goes on like normal for a few years, then it's probably not the rapture. And that guy beat his wife.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

One interesting thing, to me, is "this is not the rapture". Is it like, "They're not in purgatory?" Because the opening credits show religious rapture imagery.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I'm liking this a little more--it has possibilities.
Yes, and I think I have a better sense of what Lindelof means when he says he's not going to explain the "event," and why it doesn't matter...because the "real" mysteries, the ones that DO matter, are the little ones. Those are the ones we're still asking about, and those are the ones that will (probably) get explained eventually. As long as the show is structured so those little mysteries matter, and the big one is just a big thing in the background, I think they can get away with not explaining the big thing.

If you know what I mean.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Wow people are lazy to not post a new thread (and talk about this week's episode in last week's thread).

I was underwhelmed by the pilot. I liked this episode more. We'll see where this goes.

The daughter absolutely interacted with the guy, took beer from him, and then later asked "who was that?".

I liked the questions the woman was asking of the elderly couple that lost their son.. "Had he (recently/ever?) been to Brazil?".. And she hugged the guy handing out pamphlets that screamed "IT'S NOT THE RAPTURE!! THIS WOMAN BEAT HER KID!!", so that's probably where he's getting his data from.. And SHE probably is working for this relief fund specifically because she wants to find out WHY some people disappeared and others didn't, since her whole family disappeared (yet she didn't).
I liked this one more than the pilot, too. And with Nora, I wondered if she was even working for a relief fund. Or if she was just searching for info and/or crazy.

Yeah, the daughter interacted with the mystery man. But maybe the family "sees dead people" (or whatever mystery man is) and other people can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
I agree, the fact that the police chief found the bagel in the toaster and the fact that the daughter saw the guy with the truck and took the beer probably means he is real and not imaginary.

But why did that teenage girl need hand lotion immediately when they were in the car watching that Nora woman ask that older couple questions? It makes no sense. I mean you're on a caper, following someone, trying to stay low profile so they don't notice you. And all of a sudden you desperately need hand lotion so badly that you are willing to open up the vehicle of the person you are stalking right in the driveway in full view of the window on the off chance she has hand lotion in the car? Really? It was that important at that moment? Was she just being an impulsive teenage girl? Or does the guy that wrote the novel this is based on have a hand lotion fetish along with a smoking fetish?
If I didn't know my wife, I would agree with you that this is lunacy. But my wife keeps hand lotion in our cars and in her purse and probably would go insane if she didn't have access to it. I also am sure she thinks it's "normal" to keep hand lotion in your car. I'm not sure if she'd resort to stealing it, but I wouldn't be shocked. The woman needs her hand lotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So when his Dad said "they" were sending someone to help him--was that just his illness, or does he really know something? Or was he never crazy at all, but he's just in touch with whatever this is all about? Lots of times in sci fi crazy people can see and understand out there stuff that normal people can't. I'm liking this a little more--it has possibilities.
One of the big questions seems to be whether Dad is crazy or if he's just tapped in to whatever is happening more than everyone else. (And if the son is crazy, too, or is becoming tapped in himself.)
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, and I think I have a better sense of what Lindelof means when he says he's not going to explain the "event," and why it doesn't matter...because the "real" mysteries, the ones that DO matter, are the little ones. Those are the ones we're still asking about, and those are the ones that will (probably) get explained eventually. As long as the show is structured so those little mysteries matter, and the big one is just a big thing in the background, I think they can get away with not explaining the big thing.

If you know what I mean.
Agreed..

Although, I'd also like him to have the card in his back pocket that he can play later where we actually find out what it was, and it's satisfying and we move on from caring about that.. He preserves the chance for that by telling us he won't explain it..

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i agree with rob, tivoboyjr, and jkeegan, this was a much improved ep, and gives me hope for future eps to be even better. knowing what caused the event will never be an issue, as long as the show moves and is interesting.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
jkeegan

It felt like the Dad's "they're sending someone to (help?) you" (or whatever he said) was too conveniently timed with the main guy's problem with the dog-shooting-guy for it to be a crazy coincidence from a truly crazy guy.. There's almost definitely something there.. I can't wait to hear more details about what exactly when crazy when people say he lost his ****.. (we saw a brief flash of something with him running naked in some back yard or something in the pilot?).

The lonely guy shooting dogs was "sent".

This is fertile soil.. There's a lot that people could do with all of this (which I didn't feel after the pilot). And that brings me back to - it's Damon.. (then again it's based on a book).

...and if anyone posts any spoiler stuff from that book, there will be blood..

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
...and if anyone posts any spoiler stuff from that book, there will be blood..
We should have another thread for people who have read the book.

And another thread for people who have read the book up to the point they've reached in the show.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
We should have another thread for people who have read the book.

And another thread for people who have read the book up to the point they've reached in the show.

vBulletin needs a spoiler module that lets you set a show/season, episode, date or book/page number or movie as required viewing/reading and it needs to interface to www.trakt.tv to check if you've already seen the show/movie (and maybe Amazon to find out the book), and the hide/show the spoilered item based on the result.

And there probably should be another module that interfaces with www.televisionwithoutpity.com to compare text content to automatically set spoiler data as above based on content in the post for those folks who forget to set the appropriate matching spoiler data.

This is the 21st century. This all shouldn't be such a manual process.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
This is the 21st century. This all shouldn't be such a manual process.
do you think it will be included in the 20.4.2 summer release?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I liked this one more than the pilot, too. And with Nora, I wondered if she was even working for a relief fund. Or if she was just searching for info and/or crazy.

Yeah, the daughter interacted with the mystery man. But maybe the family "sees dead people" (or whatever mystery man is) and other people can't.

If I didn't know my wife, I would agree with you that this is lunacy. But my wife keeps hand lotion in our cars and in her purse and probably would go insane if she didn't have access to it. I also am sure she thinks it's "normal" to keep hand lotion in your car. I'm not sure if she'd resort to stealing it, but I wouldn't be shocked. The woman needs her hand lotion.

One of the big questions seems to be whether Dad is crazy or if he's just tapped in to whatever is happening more than everyone else. (And if the son is crazy, too, or is becoming tapped in himself.)
I'm a guy and I keep hand lotion in my car in the winter. My hands get very dry and cracked if I don't moisturize them with the lotion periodically in the winter.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
GoPackGo

Just came here to say I'm looking forward to jkeegan's contributions to this show's threads a la Lost.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm a guy and I keep hand lotion in my car in the winter. My hands get very dry and cracked if I don't moisturize them with the lotion periodically in the winter.
There is nothing wrong with using hand lotion. However, there is something wrong with stalking someone that did nothing to you, blowing your cover while following them, breaking into someone's car on the outside chance of finding hand lotion, stealing trivial items from their vehicle and finally having your accomplice blowing the horn loudly to alert the whole neighborhood and draw the mark's attention to yourself just to get hand lotion immediately like it was a fire extinguisher that you needed to douse the flames from consuming someone! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! That was so dumb.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
Cainebj

It wasn't dumb at all.
She didn't NEED hand lotion.
The hand lotion just became the catalyst for a dare - they are following a woman they don't know, they have cut school, they have planted themselves as the driver and the front seat passenger into a car with the twins that they previously wouldn't give the time of day.
It could have been anything.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
It wasn't dumb at all.
Or rather, it was plausibly dumb, for all the reasons you outline.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #19
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
But why did that teenage girl need hand lotion immediately when they were in the car watching that Nora woman ask that older couple questions? It makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
She didn't NEED hand lotion.
The hand lotion just became the catalyst for a dare - they are following a woman they don't know, they have cut school, they have planted themselves as the driver and the front seat passenger into a car with the twins that they previously wouldn't give the time of day.
It could have been anything.
This, exactly this. It was clearly just a dare situation: Aimee asked for some hand lotion, and Jill took the opportunity to get her to do something crazy. These kids obviously have some trauma and are doing all sorts of stupid things, like teenagers do but moreso.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #20
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Just came here to say I'm looking forward to jkeegan's contributions to this show's threads a la Lost.

Thanks!

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #21
jkeegan

Re: the dare thing, just last week they were playing some spin-the-iPhone game where one of the options was "burn", and one of the guys heated up a fork and branded himself with it.

Stalking someone they identified as a target is quite believable for kids who would do that.

I wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg of what they're going to show us happens to teen culture as a result of all of this. I'd like to think we're becoming more and more secular and that something shaking up religion wouldn't matter so much, but maybe in this show they'll show the result of formerly religious-at-the-core kids lose what they believe is the reason for their morals, and go all hedonistic and everything else..

(Would that iPhone app as-is exist 3 years and one day ago?)

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I really don't think it has to do with religion. We were talking about this yesterday after dinner. My suspicion is that these kids now just don't care that much about the future. I mean, 2% is not a debilitating number of people physically, for the world, but mentally what must it be like to know that at any time, any of you could just disappear with no warning, no reason, no way to avoid it. Why would you plan for your future, or care about consequences of your actions? Maybe you'd just live for the now and do whatever you wanted.

I don't know if that's really how people would react, but that seems to be how the show is setting up the teenagers (at least this group: based on the ping pong kids it seems maybe the group we're following, through Jill and Aimee, is just farther out there and there are still plenty of "normal" kids left).
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #23
jkeegan

Yeah but after enough time wouldn't even that be worked into your psyche, at least for most people? Any of us could die from 1000 things (car crashes, disease, etc) and yet we find a way to ignore that threat and deal with it. A large number of people had to be able to do just that (as crazy as it sounds).

I'll tell you this - as an atheist, if I saw someone actually just disappear right in front of me - just go from being there to immediately disappearing (like while I was looking at them), I'd think I'd experience these (not sure in what order):

1) FLIP OUT.. I'd be like "BUT NO!! That's NOT POSSIBLE!!", then try like crazy to figure out how the hell that physically happened. Of course this is a show where they just wrote it to happen, so you wouldn't be able to find out why.. But if it happened in reality I'd be looking for some explanation as to how it physically could have happened.

2) I'd start assuming there was something wrong with me - I was going crazy. Seeing others share this same belief though would change that.. The entire world covering this in the media would resolve #2 for the most part.

3) I'd start doubting the universe.. Gotta be a holodeck or simulation of some sort, which implies it's deliberate. That's a huge game changer that would take a lot of time to get one's head around.

But just like trying to solve a problem in a dream (where the problem itself is fake, so you can't actually solve it), it's futile for us to imagine more without more details of what people in the story have tried and experienced.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Either way it's not something that a normal person would recover from. It would forever change you in one way or another.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
Dawghows

Quote:
Either way it's not something that a normal person would recover from. It would forever change you in one way or another.
I'm not convinced this is true. Yeah, sure, if you happened to be watching when someone just suddenly disappeared it would be devastating. But if we're talking about 2% of the population, most people would not have actually seen that.

For most people, it would be like your spouse going to work and never coming home, or one of your coworkers going missing, or suddenly realizing that you haven't heard from a certain friend in an unusually long time.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be traumatizing, but we humans tend to be a pretty resilient bunch. I think three years after the event, with nothing having happened since, most people would probably have found a way to move on in a relatively normal fashion.

I'm still not quite sold on the show, and I think this is why. It just doesn't quite seem right to me that EVERYbody would be so incredibly blown away by it three years after the fact.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post

I'm not saying it wouldn't be traumatizing, but we humans tend to be a pretty resilient bunch. I think three years after the event, with nothing having happened since, most people would probably have found a way to move on in a relatively normal fashion.

I'm still not quite sold on the show, and I think this is why. It just doesn't quite seem right to me that EVERYbody would be so incredibly blown away by it three years after the fact.

Agreed. I'm hoping we get some characters that are over it and rarely think about it.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
I'm not convinced this is true. Yeah, sure, if you happened to be watching when someone just suddenly disappeared it would be devastating. But if we're talking about 2% of the population, most people would not have actually seen that.

For most people, it would be like your spouse going to work and never coming home, or one of your coworkers going missing, or suddenly realizing that you haven't heard from a certain friend in an unusually long time.

Sure people would move on, but they would be forever changed. Just the fact of not knowing, would eat away at many people. You wouldn't need to actually see a person disappear for this to happen. Things happen today that forever changes people. A death, a person goes missing etc. But in this show you are talking about 140 million people vanishing worldwide.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
voripteth
User Advocate

Before I get too invested in the series I need to know. Is this being made up as they go along like in Lost?
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #29
Dawghows

Quote:
Sure people would move on, but they would be forever changed. Just the fact of not knowing, would eat away at many people. You wouldn't need to actually see a person disappear for this to happen. Things happen today that forever changes people. A death, a person goes missing etc. But in this show you are talking about 140 million people vanishing worldwide.
I didn't say people wouldn't be changed. Certainly they would be. But pretty much to a person, the characters we've seen depicted (so far) in this show are all just barely keeping themselves together. If this were three weeks or three months after the occurrence, fine; I could easily believe people's minds would still be pretty blown. But this is three years later. I just can't quite buy it.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm not in love with this show. Part of me wants to stop watching it and wait and see what people think of the season when it is all aired. If people are like, "damn that show got so awesome", then I'll go back and watch it.

I heard an interesting theory on some TV show podcast I listen to. That the bagels disappeared in the toaster, or were raptured. That later, the cop dude found the bagels. So, maybe one day, he will find the missing people somehow.