TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
alleybj

Questions re those annyoing transport stream transfers

So, now that Comcast has switched my beloved Turner Classic Movies to Mpeg4/H264, I am forced to archive movies using transport stream rather than program stream. My goal is to transfer the movies with as little alteration as possible, so that I can later transfer them back or stream them with no loss in quality. However, it seems that transferring the movie in transfer stream, in and of itself, introduces artifacts in the movie. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a program that does a better/the best job of transferring transfer stream files from Tivo to computer? Kmttg? Tivo Desktop? Archivo? something else? I would really like to duplicate my experience with program stream transfers, which was flawless with Tivo Desktop and Kmttg

2. Is it true that undecrypted transport stream files can't be transferred back to a Tivo? That has been my anecdotal experience with Tivo Desktop and pyTivo

3. What is the best program to decrypt transport files? Handbrake seemed to make the file unwatchable. I'm currently using VideoRedo

4. What is the best program to transfer decrypted transport stream files back to the Tivo? I can get pyTivo to do it, but it takes a 3G file and turns it into a 20G file on the Tivo, which I would prefer to avoid.

Thanks very much for any help!

alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
moyekj

1. kmttg can do it with config--Program Options--Transport Stream option turned on

2. pyTivo can handle these just fine. You are better off enabling "ts" option in pyTivo (ts=on in Server section) for series 4 and later TiVos.

3. Handbrake is for encoding, not decrypting TiVo files. tivolibre works fine to decrypt TS TiVo files and doesn't require Windows and partial TiVo Desktop installation. Otherwise DirectShowDump and VRD can be used on Windows with at least a partial TiVo Desktop installation. All options for decrypting TS TiVo files are available via kmttg.

4. That's probably because you don't have "ts" option enabled so it's transcoding to mpeg2 upon return. Enable "ts" option in pyTivo (ts=on in Server section) and the file will return without transcoding for series 4 and later TiVos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
alleybj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
1. kmttg can do it with config--Program Options--Transport Stream option turned on

2. pyTivo can handle these just fine. You are better off enabling "ts" option in pyTivo (ts=on in Server section) for series 4 and later TiVos.

3. Handbrake is for encoding, not decrypting TiVo files. tivolibre works fine to decrypt TS TiVo files and doesn't require Windows and partial TiVo Desktop installation. Otherwise DirectShowDump and VRD can be used on Windows with at least a partial TiVo Desktop installation. All options for decrypting TS TiVo files are available via kmttg.

4. That's probably because you don't have "ts" option enabled so it's transcoding to mpeg2 upon return. Enable "ts" option in pyTivo (ts=on in Server section) and the file will return without transcoding for series 4 and later TiVos.
Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely try enabling the ts option. Am I correct that pyTivo won't transfer an encrypted transfer stream file back to the Tivo?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Am I correct that pyTivo won't transfer an encrypted transfer stream file back to the Tivo?
Partially incorrect. It works fine for pulling, just not for pushing.

Even for pushes it *could* be made to work pretty easily by having a wrapper script for tivodecode that uses tivolibre instead. Pushes need to decrypt on the fly to transfer, but the standard tivodecode doesn't work well for TS TiVo files, hence need for tivolibre instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
gweempose

I've recently started using KMTTG to archive a bunch of stuff I had cluttering up my TiVos. I have not been using the transport stream option because I had read in the past that it caused problems. Is this still the case? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this option? I only have Series 4 and 5 TiVos.

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
moyekj

Advantages:
* REQUIRED for recordings from H.264 channels which is becoming more prevalent now with cable companies (Cox, Comcast, FIOS).
* Downloads faster than PS transfers

Disadvantages:
* Apparently for some people results in incomplete transfers - haven't run into that myself.
* Can't use tivodecode to decrypt. tivolibre is a platform independent solution that can handle them that works for most cases, but there's still a few cases when it can't decrypt TS TiVo files correctly (still actively being developed as cases of those come up). DSD or VideoRedo for Windows with partial TiVo Desktop installation can be used to decrypt them fine as well.

Bottom line - stick with PS transfers if you can.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
gweempose

Quote:
Advantages:
* REQUIRED for recordings from H.264 channels which is becoming more prevalent now with cable companies (Cox, Comcast, FIOS).
* Downloads faster than PS transfers

Disadvantages:
* Apparently for some people results in incomplete transfers - haven't run into that myself.
* Can't use tivodecode to decrypt. tivolibre is a platform independent solution that can handle them that works for most cases, but there's still a few cases when it can't decrypt TS TiVo files correctly (still actively being developed as cases of those come up). DSD or VideoRedo for Windows with partial TiVo Desktop installation can be used to decrypt them fine as well.

Bottom line - stick with PS transfers if you can.
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll stick with PS transfers as long as Comcast lets me.

This is slightly off-topic, but is there any reason to check the "metadata" box if I am not decrypting the files? I'm simply archiving them and then pulling them back to my Tivos with pyTivo.

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
This is slightly off-topic, but is there any reason to check the "metadata" box if I am not decrypting the files? I'm simply archiving them and then pulling them back to my Tivos with pyTivo.
Nope. Note that if you care about captions, pulling back TiVo files in PS container kills them - a TiVo side bug present for years now...

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
alleybj

So, every time I try to pull an encrypted transport stream file back to the Tivo with pyTivo, it works for a bit and then stops, with this message--An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This happens on every single file I try. Any thoughts on what's going on? thanks

Old 02-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
So, every time I try to pull an encrypted transport stream file back to the Tivo with pyTivo, it works for a bit and then stops, with this message--An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This happens on every single file I try. Any thoughts on what's going on? thanks
Do you have a recent wmcbrine pyTivo installation? If not that's what I would suspect 1st.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
alleybj

Quote:
Do you have a recent wmcbrine pyTivo installation? If not that's what I would suspect 1st.
I'm not sure, but I think it's lucasnz. Should I reinstall with wmcbrine? Thanks

Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think it's lucasnz. Should I reinstall with wmcbrine? Thanks
Never used any other fork, but AFAIK wmcbrine fork is always the most recent/reliable.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
alleybj

Quote:
Ok, I uninstalled pyTivo and reinstalled with a recent wmcbrine installation. Unfortunately, pyTivo will not transfer any unencrypted transport stream files back to the Tivo. They all start and then stop before the transfer completes. I've viewed the files, and I can't see any glitches that might be causing this, and it happens on every file I've tried. Any thoughts? Is there any other software out there that might transfer unencrypted transport stream files from computer to Tivo? Thanks very much!

Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Ok, I uninstalled pyTivo and reinstalled with a recent wmcbrine installation. Unfortunately, pyTivo will not transfer any unencrypted transport stream files back to the Tivo. They all start and then stop before the transfer completes. I've viewed the files, and I can't see any glitches that might be causing this, and it happens on every file I've tried. Any thoughts? Is there any other software out there that might transfer unencrypted transport stream files from computer to Tivo? Thanks very much!
I know it works for sure, so it's likely a setup issue of some sort. Post your pyTivo.conf file settings here. Also, if you add debug=true in [server] section of pyTivo.conf and run pyTivo and attempt a transfer again it will give you a bunch of information in the console which would be useful to see. Without any log information my guess is the issue is related to ffmpeg not being properly configured/installed as part of pyTivo setup.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
alleybj

Quote:
I know it works for sure, so it's likely a setup issue of some sort. Post your pyTivo.conf file settings here. Also, if you add debug=true in [server] section of pyTivo.conf and run pyTivo and attempt a transfer again it will give you a bunch of information in the console which would be useful to see. Without any log information my guess is the issue is related to ffmpeg not being properly configured/installed as part of pyTivo setup.
Thanks, Here's the pyTivo.conf file (with sensitive info redacted). ffmeg was installed prior to pyTivo as part of kttmg. Where do I find the console?

[Server]
tivo_password = redacted
debug = on
togo_path = m:\movies5
tivo_mak = **********
tivo_username = alleybj
ffmpeg = c:\users\alleybj\desktop\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe

[_tivo_SD]

Old 02-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
moyekj

You don't have ts=on in [server] section, which should be added and then pyTivo re-started.
ffmpeg setting looks reasonable, assuming there's actually an ffmpeg.exe there.
I don't see any video shares defined either (unless you just intentionally removed that section).

Console is the black background "cmd" window that appears when you run pyTivo.py. There should be a bunch of messages in that window telling you what pyTivo is doing.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #17
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Just checking..isn't the tivo_username usually in the form of an email address?

e.g. it would be
Code:
tivo_username = alleybj@gmail.com
..or something similar.

A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #18
moyekj

Yes, the tivo username is an email address normally. Perhaps it was modified/redacted by alleybj to not reveal the real one.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
alleybj

Quote:
Yes, the tivo username is an email address normally. Perhaps it was modified/redacted by alleybj to not reveal the real one.
Do you mean what I used to login to my Tivo account? That's just alleybj

thanks

Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
moyekj

Anyway, the tivo_password and tivo_username are only important for pushes which is not relevant here at the moment.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #21
alleybj

Quote:
You don't have ts=on in [server] section, which should be added and then pyTivo re-started.
ffmpeg setting looks reasonable, assuming there's actually an ffmpeg.exe there.
I don't see any video shares defined either (unless you just intentionally removed that section).

Console is the black background "cmd" window that appears when you run pyTivo.py. There should be a bunch of messages in that window telling you what pyTivo is doing.
For some reason the console isn't showing anything. I think it's because I have it running as a service now; if I click on the pyTivo run file, I get the console but it's for a second running version. How do I get the console for the one that runs on startup? I copied the log, which shows all of the errors, but Tivo Community says it has 144 images in it and won't let me send it. Any suggestions as to how to copy it or find the right console? thanks

Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
moyekj

Just make a zip file with the log and attach that to a post.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #23
alleybj

Quote:
Just make a zip file with the log and attach that to a post.
Here it is in all its glory. Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: zip log zip.zip (13.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #24
moyekj

I pulled out the most relevant lines that really matter. From what I can see pyTivo is behaving as expected but for some reason your Roamio Pro is rejecting the H.264 TS TiVo file (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host):

YOURS
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File=m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo vCodec=h264 vWidth=1920 vHeight=1080 vFps=59.94 millisecs=8160920 TIVO_HEIGHT=1080 TIVO_WIDTH=1920
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.1.39 [03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] "GET /Movies5/The%20V.I.P.s.TiVo?Format=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg-ts HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] Start sending "m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" to Roamio Pro
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:"m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" is tivo compatible
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] Done sending "m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" to Roamio Pro, 0 bytes, 0.00 Mb/s
As a comparison here's a pull of a sample H.264 TS TiVo file of mine using pyTivo. As you can see it's doing the exact same thing with a video of similar specs but the difference is my Roamio is accepting it fine:
MINE
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File=c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo vCodec=h264 vWidth=1920 vHeight=1080 vFps=59.94 millisecs=149280 TIVO_HEIGHT=1080 TIVO_WIDTH=1920
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.91 [03/Feb/2016 18:36:14] "GET /videos/Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo?Format=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg-ts HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 18:36:14] Start sending "c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" to Roamio
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:"c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" is tivo compatible
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 18:36:48] Done sending "c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" to Roamio, 132156968 bytes, 29.28 Mb/s

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #25
alleybj

Quote:
I pulled out the most relevant lines that really matter. From what I can see pyTivo is behaving as expected but for some reason your Roamio Pro is rejecting the H.264 TS TiVo file (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host):

YOURS
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File=m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo vCodec=h264 vWidth=1920 vHeight=1080 vFps=59.94 millisecs=8160920 TIVO_HEIGHT=1080 TIVO_WIDTH=1920
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.1.39 [03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] "GET /Movies5/The%20V.I.P.s.TiVo?Format=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg-ts HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] Start sending "m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" to Roamio Pro
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:"m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" is tivo compatible
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 19:09:11] Done sending "m:\movies5\The V.I.P.s.TiVo" to Roamio Pro, 0 bytes, 0.00 Mb/s
As a comparison here's a pull of a sample H.264 TS TiVo file of mine using pyTivo. As you can see it's doing the exact same thing with a video of similar specs but the difference is my Roamio is accepting it fine:
MINE
Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:File=c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo vCodec=h264 vWidth=1920 vHeight=1080 vFps=59.94 millisecs=149280 TIVO_HEIGHT=1080 TIVO_WIDTH=1920
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.91 [03/Feb/2016 18:36:14] "GET /videos/Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo?Format=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg-ts HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 18:36:14] Start sending "c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" to Roamio
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:"c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" is tivo compatible
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[03/Feb/2016 18:36:48] Done sending "c:\home\dvd\Overboard_h264_sample.TiVo" to Roamio, 132156968 bytes, 29.28 Mb/s

thanks for looking at it; I wish I could figure it out, but as a result of your pointing out that I had the TS=on instruction in the wrong place, after fixing that, I'm getting much better transfer back of unencrypted transport stream files with pyTivo, so thanks again very much for that

Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #26
moyekj

2 things would be helpful for you to post:
1. Decrypt "The V.I.P.s.TiVo" and post the details of the video using mediainfo
2. Post pyTivo log showing push of the decrypted video above if decrypted push doesn't work.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #27
andrew1883

Quote:
Nope. Note that if you care about captions, pulling back TiVo files in PS container kills them - a TiVo side bug present for years now...
Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere in detail, but I'm running into this problem. I'm using kmttg 2.1h to transfer from Premiere to my computer, then using the TiVo to pull the files from computer to Premiere when I'm ready to watch them. I'm using kmttg with whatever the default settings are (except file paths of course).

They're working fine (though the transfer to TiVo is way slower than I remember) but I'm losing the captions. Is there something I can do to get them? Would switching to TS in the kmttg config (for TiVo-computer) fix that? Or are the captions already gone one the files sitting on my computer? If they're not stripped until transfer back to the TiVo, is there something I can do to the files already transferred to PC?

Thanks!
=aw

andrew1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #28
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1883 View Post
They're working fine (though the transfer to TiVo is way slower than I remember) but I'm losing the captions. Is there something I can do to get them? Would switching to TS in the kmttg config (for TiVo-computer) fix that? Or are the captions already gone one the files sitting on my computer? If they're not stripped until transfer back to the TiVo, is there something I can do to the files already transferred to PC?
The captions are present in .TiVo file transferred from TiVo no matter which download method you use.
But due to a TiVo side bug you need to transfer back with pyTivo with ts=on setting in [server] section of pyTivo.conf. Basically the key is you have to transfer back in TS container to the TiVo for it to retain EIA captions.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #29
andrew1883

Thank you, that's great. I think I used pyTivo a couple of years ago to push recordings from computer to TiVo, but ended up going back to pulling from the TiVo. It's just easier to use the TiVo to do it. I guess there's no chance TiVo will fix this, if it's such a long-term bug.

=aw

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

andrew1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #30
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1883 View Post
Thank you, that's great. I think I used pyTivo a couple of years ago to push recordings from computer to TiVo, but ended up going back to pulling from the TiVo. It's just easier to use the TiVo to do it. I guess there's no chance TiVo will fix this, if it's such a long-term bug.
FYI, you can pull from the TiVo using pyTivo the exact same way you do with TiVo Desktop - it's using the exact same protocol except pyTivo supports way more video types and options.