TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
mbergen

Tivo stuck on guided setup - Please Wait

Hi. I have a Tivo I'm trying to get setup, that I have borrowed from my brother - he had used it and closed it down. I've reactivated it, and it says the status is that I have an active subscription. I first ran through the setup with the old software that was on it - 7.1 I think. I got it to download the new software by connecting to Tivo.

I'm using and antenna with a digital converter box. When I select this option I tell it to get the information it needs from the network, and it appears to do that - connects downloads info it needs for the guided setup, and then after I press select to continue it goes to a please wait screen and just stays there.

It was up all night long with this. This morning I unplugged it, and replugged it in and it started up ok, and went into the guided setup, and I went through everything and the same thing happened. I thought I might try it again with plain antenna and see if the same thing happens, however I don't want to just use the plain antenna - the reception is not good with those channels as with the digital.

Any suggestions? I have to go to work but will call Tivo tonight if I can't get this going.

I am fairly familiar with Tivos - I've had a Directivo for years and just suspended my service to try and save money but can't live without the Tivo.

Oh - it is a series 2 one tuner Tivo - and I'm using a network card to connect to the internet, which worked fine to get the update of the software anyway.

Meg
mbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Puppy76

If it's connected over a broadband connection that step should only take a few minutes (the actual downloading of data should be near instantaneous), and I wouldn't think it would take all that long over a phone either.

My first thought is wondering if the hard drive has damage, but I could be completely wrong. I just played around with this last night though and the whole process took maybe 15-30 minutes-just a few minutes for that step of it.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
mbergen

Step

Well, I managed to go through the guided setup completely earlier, before getting the software update - it was only when I tried to rerun it with the digital converter box that I ran into trouble. I don't know if that tells you anything. I did not, however check to see if I could get any of the channels at that time, because it took awhile for activation to take effect, and by that time I had the new software and had started through the guided setup again.

The other thing I did which may have no relation to my problem was install the Tivo Desktop software on my computer while I was waiting for the update to download and install.

Meg
Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Puppy76

Tivo Desktop should be fine, shouldn't affect anything one way or the other

Someone else probably has a MUCH better grasp on how all this works than I do, but if you got a software update in between when it worked and when it didn't, that could explain the problem. My understanding is Tivos have two system partitions (or areas or whatever) that they switch back and fourth on each time they install a new software update, so that they have something to fall back on. If there's an issue with the part of the drive the new software's on, that could explain it....

...but I could be completely off base on all this! At any rate, my 3 1/2 year old S2 unit got switched to a digital converter box with no issues last night-happened really fast. (There are some annoyances related to how that all works, but it's working as far as the basics go.)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
mbergen

Just a little more background information - I asked my brother. He said he bought it new, used it for about two months, then he went back to Directv and deactivated it and reset it - so it's basically a nearly unused Tivo - bought in 2005.

Meg
Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
mbergen

Ok - well I just tried again and I can make it through the guided setup as long as I choose the option that I have no converter box, so it's not the Tivo and I get the local channels though the picture is lousy - reception on the digital ones is better. I'm connecting to Tivo again to make sure I really have the latest version of the software, then I'm calling Tivo.

Meg
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
tbergen

Link to thread regarding converter boxes and 9.1.1

Here is a thread with lots of info about the digital boxes and tivo

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ht=digital+box
tbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
tbergen

Typo

Sorry, I mean 9.3.1
tbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The latest software version is 9.3.1 - 01 something. You'll need to get that version first before setting up for a OTA converter box.

Also, what brand is your converter box? Tivo has found that some boxes are incompatible with the Tivo DVR.

ETA: Here is Tivos converter list.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...95#post6571295

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-02-2008 at 07:35 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
mbergen

Hi. The version of the software I have is 9.3.1-01-2-540

The converter box is GE 22729, which is on the list. I called up Tivo and after looking some things up the technician said that it was not working because both analog and digital channels were both coming through the converter box still and that it would work once they are all shut off before February 2009. I told him that I really didn't want to wait that long and it would be after my 30 day trial is up in case I still can't get it working, and since reception is very poor on the analog channels that I'd prefer to just upgrade to a HD Tivo now, so they gave me a good deal - I told them I was going to get it at Amazon for $250, but they offered to sell me a new one for $199 with free shipping so I figured that was a better deal even if there is a little tax. They are giving me a free month of service with the old Tivo, and I just need to transfer service to the new Tivo when it comes.

I'm not going to mess around with this too much anymore, though I may just try programming out all analog channels on the box first and see if that makes a difference and see if I can get it working till the new box comes. I am starting to think it won't though because just to see if it would make a difference I unhooked the box entirely before starting setup and it still stalls.

Meg
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergen View Post
Hi. The version of the software I have is 9.3.1-01-2-540

The converter box is GE 22729, which is on the list. I called up Tivo and after looking some things up the technician said that it was not working because both analog and digital channels were both coming through the converter box still and that it would work once they are all shut off before February 2009. I told him that I really didn't want to wait that long and it would be after my 30 day trial is up in case I still can't get it working, and since reception is very poor on the analog channels that I'd prefer to just upgrade to a HD Tivo now, so they gave me a good deal - I told them I was going to get it at Amazon for $250, but they offered to sell me a new one for $199 with free shipping so I figured that was a better deal even if there is a little tax. They are giving me a free month of service with the old Tivo, and I just need to transfer service to the new Tivo when it comes.

I'm not going to mess around with this too much anymore, though I may just try programming out all analog channels on the box first and see if that makes a difference and see if I can get it working till the new box comes. I am starting to think it won't though because just to see if it would make a difference I unhooked the box entirely before starting setup and it still stalls.

Meg
Where exactly does the process fail on your Tivo? It sounds like it's at some point during the part where it's downloading info for the converter box setup? Do you know the exact part it sits on?

The info they're giving sounds bogus to me. I'm not familiar with all of these boxes, but if I'm understanding where the process is failing, you haven't even gotten to the point where you're setting up what channels you have, right? The converter box is only outputting video from ATSC channels-I mean that's the entire point of these converter boxes. You should have it connected to your Tivo ONLY through composite video cables (or whatever the best connection your converter box supports).

At some point during the setup if you still have an antenna or cable connected to the antenna-in RF jack on your Tivo at the same time the converter box is connected through composite cables, the setup screen will ask you which source your converter box is using (the whole setup is really straight forward).

At this point though, if I didn't already have my S2 with Lifetime, I'm sure I'd just switch over to a Tivo HD...especially if they offered it for $200 for a new one! Even if you're not using HD, it still has the dual tuners which is very, very handy, and for SD content has a TON of storage space. For HD content though it's pretty puny-the drive only stores around 20 hours of HD. So for me, when I switch to a Tivo HD I'm probably going to get one with a larger drive installed (probably a 750GB drive that gives 107 HD hours, although Weaknees' prices are a bit much).
Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
mbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
The info they're giving sounds bogus to me.
I suspected the same thing, but rather than trying to see if maybe this thing worked 5 months from now after my 30 day trial is up, I'd thought I'd go for the HD Tivo and two tuners since they gave me a good deal for it. Also I get more channels and great reception with digital - I don't actually have an HD TV. I am used to having 2 directivos with 2 tuners each so going down to one would have been difficult.

It is very early in the process that it fails. I get through the part where I select Antenna. Then I tell it to download via network (or phone - I've tried both ways). It downloads some info then says press select to continue. I press select and that's where it hangs up. I really doubted it was scanning the box at that time - but I didn't know.

The point where they offered me the box for $199 from them was when I said I was going to buy it for $250 from Amazon.com and they had free shipping and no tax.

Meg
Old 09-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Puppy76

That sounds like some software error to me. It can't really scan the box. It walks you through setting it up so it can remote control it, but it gives you directions along the way and tells you what it's going to do before it does it (like "I'm going to try changing the channel to 25-1, please note what happens" and then it asks you what happened)-something along those lines. It was very straight forward.

Oh, I suppose I should ask if when you were doing that, you already had the IR controller plugged into the correct port on the back of the box. Maybe if you don't have that plugged in, it just sits there looking for it or something?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
hardly

me too

I too am stuck in guided setup with a converter box. I have a Toshiba RS-TX20. I am posting here because there is no hint of this problem in the DVD forum. When I get to the screen to choose a converter box, it does not populate with check boxes and converter box names. I have gone back one screen and tried again, unplugged and started over, clear and delete everything and start over. When running guided setup for antenna without converter box, or for cable, works as expected. Been on the phone with TiVo TS twice, each time for over an hour and a half, they say I'm the first to report this and they have no answer. If this were a PC I would reinstall the operating system, TiVo TS seems unable to do this.
I also have a Toshiba SDH-400 and it's up and running with a converter box with no problems.

Last edited by hardly : 09-04-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: clarity
hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
hardly

bump

To see if anyone can point me in the right direction.
TiVo TS said they would escalate and have someone call me.
Haven't heard a thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
paceyrocks

Are we seriously the only 3 that this is happening to?

I just got the 9.3.1 software update yesterday. I run the Guided Setup and pick antenna, then Yes to "if i have a converter box". It then proceeds to download info, goes ok, i click on Continue, and then it says " Please Wait.." And stays there .. without me even getting a chance to scan for channels ..

By the way, my converter box is the Channel Master CM-7000.

When i picked Cable with box (instead of antenna with converter box), after unplugging tivo and rebooting it, everything's ok. So, does this mean this software update is the problem?
paceyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #17
hardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paceyrocks View Post
. . . By the way, my converter box is the Channel Master CM-7000. . .
Here are some more data points:
When I saw that we are using the same converter box, I tried each of the 3 TiVo inputs (S-video, composite and RF) and 3 of the 4 TiVo outputs (I don't have an S-video capable TV). No love with any combination.
I then tried another brand of converter box (no S-video) trying all possible combinations. Still no love.
Let me know if you have any luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #18
paceyrocks

After waiting on hold on the phone with tivo for 30 minutes, i gave up ..

Is there a way to revert back to the previous update so we can "reload" 9.3.1 again? That is, without opening the tivo box and reformating the hard drive ..
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
paceyrocks

Now stuck at a different spot

Ok, some weird sh*t is happening ..

I unplugged and restarted tivo and did a Clear and Delete Everything (luckily i didn't really have that much saved so it was ok). I picked antenna again and Yes for converter box. For whatever reason, I got past the dreaded Please Wait after the downloading of setup info and tivo actually got to scan for channels.

BUT, when it got to the Converter Box Brand section, wherein it tells me to "select the brand of your converter box from the list below," uh, there is NO list below. What the hell! This is really getting on my nerves ..
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 AM   #20
hardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paceyrocks View Post
. . . "select the brand of your converter box from the list below," uh, there is NO list below. What the hell! This is really getting on my nerves ..
If you re-read my previous posts you'll find that this is as far as I've been able to get.
Keep me posted, please.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I got a PM from hardly and have enabled diagnostic logging to figure out what is going on. Anyone else who has 9.3.1 and is not presented with a list of converter manufacturers should send me a PM briefly describing their issue (I get lots of PMs) along with their 15-digit TiVo Service Number so I can look into this further.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I've gotten a result from one of the posters who contacted me. I had him perform a set of tasks in a specific order and the situation was resolved, but the steps were a bit of overkill. A change was made at the same time that may have produced the desired result.

So, for the rest who sent me a PM, I've replied with instructions to give it another try...minus the extra work. Please let me know the results ASAP so I can see which factor fixed the issue.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
hardly

You're the BEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
. . .
Please let me know the results ASAP so I can see which factor fixed the issue.
Thanks TiVoJerry, You're the BEST!
You fixed mine.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #24
paceyrocks

Thanks, TivoJerry! Mine's fixed, too!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #25
woolyster

just joined this group and very happy to see this message:
"
Ok, some weird sh*t is happening ..

I unplugged and restarted tivo and did a Clear and Delete Everything (luckily i didn't really have that much saved so it was ok). I picked antenna again and Yes for converter box. For whatever reason, I got past the dreaded Please Wait after the downloading of setup info and tivo actually got to scan for channels.

BUT, when it got to the Converter Box Brand section, wherein it tells me to "select the brand of your converter box from the list below," uh, there is NO list below. What the hell! This is really getting on my nerves"

This is exactly my experience!

So How do I "PM" Tivo Jerry and get the magic incantations? What's a PM?
Thanks! I'm struggling with an SD400 and 9.3.1.
woolyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #26
woolyster

ok, i clicked around and found the PM action.
eagerly awaiting his response. i've got 7 days to return this unit if i can't get it playing properly.
this group is great. gotta love the internet.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #27
woolyster

Still not out of the woods.

Turns out, per TivoJerry, there isn't a fix out yet for my SD-H400. Something to do with the fact that the unit was out of date/service for a long time. Latest 9.3.2a update pulled in last night didn't help. Still an empty box below the "Select your digital converter from the list below" sorta issue. Argh. He's out through Jan 13 so sounds like nothing to do between now and then but wait.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
nbarday

Help on the way?

I ran into the "no converter box brands listed" problem over the weekend. Spent a few hours on the phone with TiVo and running guided setup over and over again. Looks like there's an update you may be able to pick up by forcing several (Five?) TiVo service connections in a row. I tried having my TiVo connect over 15 times tonight after various changes, but no luck. Here's hoping the update hits my service number over the next few days ...
nbarday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
bbgmuaw

I'm having the "no converter box brands listed" problem also and Tivo CS said they would call back, this was 12-22 but never a call. I have the current update and tried eveything I know to do. Any help???
bbgmuaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #30
woolyster

Tivo Jerry should be back from his glorious month long break. Hoping he can work some magic soon. I've been fiddling with this for many many weeks now and no joy. I'm hoping if any of us get past this issue, we'll post the details (as many as we know anyway) on how it was fixed.