TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Revolution - S01E13 - "The Song Remains The Same"

Learned some interesting things in tonight's show:

Diamonds are apparently used as currency, since Tom was carrying diamonds on his truck going to the concrete plant to get the nuke.

Randall must have a lot of pendants at the rate Rachel is destroying them.

Finally some glimer of why/how the power is off. It's apparently absorbed by the huge number of special viruses spread all over the planet out of control because of something going wrong in "the tower". (Sounds kinda like how the force works in Star Wars, eh?)

So Rachel and Aaron are off to "the tower" to make things right and turn the power back on for everyone?

Tom and his wife are on the lam from Monroe and Randall.

Discussion?

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Peter000

Well, we got the techno-babble explanation for how the power went bye-bye. Microscopic power sucking dust bunnies floating around. Rigggght. Oh well. As good as explanation as any I guess.

Since they are in people's bodies, they probably could be programmed to do horrible things.

And yeah, Miles had a somthin'-somthin' going on with Rachel. Good call, whoever predicted that.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Learned some interesting things in tonight's show:

Diamonds are apparently used as currency, since Tom was carrying diamonds on his truck going to the concrete plant to get the nuke.
I thought we learned this last week, when somebody was paid off for information with diamonds (before being summarily executed and the diamonds retrieved).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

So Rachel and Aaron are off to "the tower" to make things right and turn the power back on for everyone?
Even if they "re-enable" power, how many functional power plants are there going to be?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
DouglasPHill

Why do you guys continue to throw logic at this show? lol I think back to BSG and how they kept saying "they had a plan" and they didn't. And how there was no consistency from week to week. One week if you hit the green button the door opens and the next week it causes an explosion (made up to make my point) And it bugged the heck out of me.

So here we are with Revolution and Following (or whatever) and there is absolutely no logic to the writing. These writers suck so bad, how can they even call themselves writers? But the writers here are still way better than the writers in the Following.

AND I WATCH BOTH SHOWS. So my brain has atrophied and now I accept poorly written shows as entertainment. "They have assimilated me." Where is my red shirt?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Even if they "re-enable" power, how many functional power plants are there going to be?
I agree with you. Somehow, however, I'll bet everything starts to "magically" work again.

Dave
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
And yeah, Miles had a somthin'-somthin' going on with Rachel. Good call, whoever predicted that.
Several people, including myself, predicted that.

Spoiler:
Makes it much more likely, considering how Rachel is acting, that Miles is Charlie's dad.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Well, we got the techno-babble explanation for how the power went bye-bye. Microscopic power sucking dust bunnies floating around. Rigggght. Oh well. As good as explanation as any I guess.
While I agree that it's a very convenient explanation, I was assuming that they were nano technology based micro machines and not biological.

Nanotech at least has some basis in reality.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Why do you guys continue to throw logic at this show? lol I think back to BSG and how they kept saying "they had a plan" and they didn't. And how there was no consistency from week to week. One week if you hit the green button the door opens and the next week it causes an explosion (made up to make my point) And it bugged the heck out of me.

So here we are with Revolution and Following (or whatever) and there is absolutely no logic to the writing. These writers suck so bad, how can they even call themselves writers? But the writers here are still way better than the writers in the Following.

AND I WATCH BOTH SHOWS. So my brain has atrophied and now I accept poorly written shows as entertainment. "They have assimilated me." Where is my red shirt?
I'm with you, but the show has to have SOME logic to it, even if it's built on fake science. It's not meant to be a cartoon.

As far as the power plants go (from other posts), it probably would be dangerous just to "turn on" everything at once, since the power plants are falling apart, but not completely, so there's no telling what will happen if they start up unattended.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
While I agree that it's a very convenient explanation, I was assuming that they were nano technology based micro machines and not biological.

Nanotech at least has some basis in reality.
And actually one of the better portrayals of nanotech I've seen...usually, it's miniature machinery, when in fact nanotech looks like...well, kinda like a virus.

Poor Superman. Escapes from prison while chained to a chair using only a nail on the other side of the room, and he's still marked for death by his crazy boss. Rachel was right, they should have killed him...but it was almost worth it for the look on his face when he realized he'd been tricked.

Is this the first time they haven't had flashbacks?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
BrandonRe

What's a boy band?
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Finally some glimer of why/how the power is off. It's apparently absorbed by the huge number of special viruses spread all over the planet out of control because of something going wrong in "the tower". (Sounds kinda like how the force works in Star Wars, eh?)
The second I heard that explanation I thought, 'So that's where midichlorians came from".

Quote:
Tom and his wife are on the lam from Monroe and Randall.
Did we actually see them leave Phillie? Or just get ready to?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Did we actually see them leave Phillie? Or just get ready to?
I would assume it would be pretty stupid to hang around Phillie.

What are the chances that Tom will come over to the Rebel side? Of course, we don't know yet what Monroe really thinks about Tom's failure.

Dave
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
What are the chances that Tom will come over to the Rebel side? Of course, we don't know yet what Monroe really thinks about Tom's failure.
Well, judging from the dark and threatening look Monroe was giving Tom while uttering vague threats about the consequences of failure, I'd say we have a pretty good idea...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just went back and re-watched this episode.

Rachel says the "devices" are virus sized, not that they are viruses, so apparently they are nano-technology. And Aaron calls them computers and Rachel does not correct him.

Programmed to do 2 things: Absorb electricity and replicate. Apparently the problem in "The Tower" allowed uncontrolled replication and they got up to a couple hundred quadrillion of them, enough to absorb all the electrical power on the entire planet.

This would explain how the pendants and amplifiers work, if they turn off the nano-bots within their range, which would allow electricity to work again within that radius.

Dave
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
vertigo235

I'm OK with it, we've had to accept much larger stretches in sci-fi shows before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Ereth

Quote:

Rachel says the "devices" are virus sized, not that they are viruses, so apparently they are nano-technology. And Aaron calls them computers and Rachel does not correct him.

Programmed to do 2 things: Absorb electricity and replicate. Apparently the problem in "The Tower" allowed uncontrolled replication and they got up to a couple hundred quadrillion of them, enough to absorb all the electrical power on the entire planet.

This would explain how the pendants and amplifiers work, if they turn off the nano-bots within their range, which would allow electricity to work again within that radius.

Dave
So, basically the same thing that happened to the Morris worm back in the early days of the Internet.

(for those not old enough, Robert Morris found a bug in Sendmail that let him gain elevated privilege. He wrote a worm that would attack sendmail, make 10 copies and send those 10 copies to other machines. But his routine that made 10 copies had a mistake in it, and it made infinite copies, effectively bringing the Internet down. As machines became overloaded with hundreds of copies of the worm trying to replicate SysAdmins would reboot them and become infected again in seconds, leading to them eventually disconnecting backbone servers from the backbone, and breaking most of the routing until they brought everything back online again. The Internet was much smaller then).
Also, check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #18
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
So, basically the same thing that happened to the Morris worm back in the early days of the Internet.
Thanks for posting that. I was not aware of it. The explanation you posted wasn't correct though. According to Wikipedia, it was something different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm#The_mistake

Quote:
The critical error that transformed the worm from a potentially harmless intellectual exercise into a virulent denial of service attack was in the spreading mechanism. The worm could have determined whether to invade a new computer by asking if there was already a copy running. But just doing this would have made it trivially easy to kill; everyone could just run a process that would answer "yes" when asked if there was already a copy, and the worm would stay away.
The defense against this was inspired by Michael Rabin's mantra, "Randomization." To compensate for this possibility, Morris directed the worm to copy itself even if the response is "yes", 1 out of 7 times.[3] This level of replication proved excessive and the worm spread rapidly, infecting some computers multiple times. Morris remarked, when he heard of the mistake, that he "should have tried it on a simulator first."

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tom's escape had me shaking my head. The Padre was so badass he could swordfight 6 guys at once, but he gets taken by surprise and put up against a wall to get skewered. Yeah, right...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Tom's escape had me shaking my head. The Padre was so badass he could swordfight 6 guys at once, but he gets taken by surprise and put up against a wall to get skewered. Yeah, right...
And as I hinted earlier, it's pretty awesome that he managed to hop that chair all the way across the room, fall over, and pick up the nail, all without making enough noise for the guard to hear.

How could Monroe ever consider disposing of such a god among men?!?

(I think you're confusing the Padre with Miles's old war buddy...)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

My biggest LOL came when I explained to my son how Neville escaped (using the nail to free himself).

His response?

"that's stupid!"

he is 7 years old.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

He'll understand when he's older.

That TV writers are...complicated.

Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
(I think you're confusing the Padre with Miles's old war buddy...)
Uh oh, have I fallen into a bad stereotype?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh, I was also waiting for Tom's wife to get killed. After all doesn't Kim Raver have a new gig with another NCIS spinoff?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Uh oh, have I fallen into a bad stereotype?
I tried so hard to come up with a joke that wouldn't go badly...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
Barmat

Quote:

Dave
If the Nano bots turn the power off how are they powered?
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
they suck the power from anything around them, so at the beginning at least, that is the source. Not sure how they get more power to stay alive or reproduce.

The thing about the explanation so far is that she did not mention any way they were meant to be contained (which is what I assume failed). because the virus' programming, as stated (suck power, reproduce), worked perfectly. Nothing went wrong!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
robojerk

Their explanation for the power going out makes no sense on their original project of creating free green energy.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
Nanotech isn't like little machines with wires that carry electricity through them. They are more like tiny organic thingies, that are powered in the same way cells are powered...and since the cells in human bodies aren't affected by the power-damper, we can assume that the power in the nanites isn't either.

This is one thing they've gotten surprisingly right. I'm not sure how the pendants are supposed to work, but since we can't build nanotechnology like that yet, I guess I can pretend that in the development process something will present itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Their explanation for the power going out makes no sense on their original project of creating free green energy.
It's not really supposed to. This is one of those situations where scientists were trying to do one thing, and stumbled across something completely different.

How were they planning to use nanotech in a power distribution scheme? Dunno. But it's not completely insane that it would play some role.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
jeff92k7

Yeah.... all these comments are valid, but none of them touch on the most important part of this episode. Why in the world does Miles hate Texas so much?
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote