TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Shaunnick
Registered User
 
Shaunnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,917
Game of Thrones "The Watchers on the Wall" 6/08/14 S4E9

Well that was exciting. I was sad to see Pyp and Grenn die. I had to laugh out loud when the kid gave Jon the, "You're welcome, bro!" head nod after killing Ygritte.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
pendragn
Registered User
 
pendragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Ames Iowa
Posts: 10,528
That was a pretty intense episode. I'm not sure how they're going to wrap everything up in the last episode.
__________________
Todd O. Klindt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Da boogie down Bronx
Posts: 6,611
I've could've sworn Sam killed the big Thenn. But was glad Jon put a hammer in his head.

And why would they chain up Tormund?!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
That was a pretty intense episode. I'm not sure how they're going to wrap everything up in the last episode.
Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll leave something for the next few seasons.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass
 
MegaHertz67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 590
Giants riding mammoths...cool.

Oh, and Jon Snow still knows nothing.
__________________
MegaHertz

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,823
I was a bit concerned when the opening credits had Kit Harington and 'bout no one else.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
desulliv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 315
Not that formidable a wall after all.


Sent from my iPhone
__________________
Scrawled on an underpass wall in Seattle in 1970:
If it's your bag, then do your thing.
desulliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
Family
Registered User
 
Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 822
I thought the episode was horribly dull. Guess I don't think 60 minutes of fighting is interesting.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 7,826
I don't think Castle Black had enough men to bring that Scythe back up. That thing was HUGE.
__________________
This is so not gummy bears
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,998
So is Thorne alive or dead? Who's next in command if he's out of the picture?

Good episode, if a bit silly. Seems like the place to climb the wall would be a mile or two in either direction instead of right underneath the defenders and their arrows, rocks, oil, and giant scythe thing.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
zordude
WDW Fan
 
zordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 10,946
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I don't think Castle Black had enough men to bring that Scythe back up. That thing was HUGE.
Maybe it is counter weighted like the elevator.
__________________
Crotch facing, butt facing, or Anubis style if possible. - jsmeeker
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
So, by my unofficial count, Castle Black started out with 102 men and is now down to -1,050

Jon Snow killed that Phen guy because of what that killer at Craster's Keep taught him...very nice touch. I kept waiting for Jon's head to get chopped off as he held Ygrit.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I don't think Castle Black had enough men to bring that Scythe back up. That thing was HUGE.
Janos Slynt would be the obvious candidate. After all, I heard somewhere that he has leadership experience as Commander of the City Watch of King's Landing...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #14
zordude
WDW Fan
 
zordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 10,946
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
So is Thorne alive or dead? Who's next in command if he's out of the picture?
I think it would be the guy that hid in the pantry, right? He was the one that was put in charge up top.

It seems really strange to me that the outer gate of the tunnel wasn't locked in any way, and they just relied on it being really heavy to prevent it from being lifted. I'm pretty sure it would have some kind of lock...
__________________
Crotch facing, butt facing, or Anubis style if possible. - jsmeeker
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
It seems really strange to me that the outer gate of the tunnel wasn't locked in any way, and they just relied on it being really heavy to prevent it from being lifted. I'm pretty sure it would have some kind of lock...
It probably used to, but we live in an era when nobody believes that creatures capable of lifting it exist, so why bother keeping it in good repair?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I think it would be the guy that hid in the pantry, right? He was the one that was put in charge up top.

It seems really strange to me that the outer gate of the tunnel wasn't locked in any way, and they just relied on it being really heavy to prevent it from being lifted. I'm pretty sure it would have some kind of lock...
and if one Giant could lift it, 2 would have done it much easier. Then all they had to do is put something under it to keep it propped open...
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,739
I thought it was an awesome episode, much better than I expected. I checked the time for the first time, and there was only 10 minutes left to go.

So GoT "world" question. Are the people at Castle Black the ONLY defenders of the Wall, or, can they signal back and get reinforcements from others in the realm? As Jon Snow mentioned, they maybe could hold out for one or two more days, but, if they could get reinforcements, they possibly could hold out longer? OTA, it's possible that any reinforcements might just be too far away.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
su719
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I thought it was an awesome episode, much better than I expected. I checked the time for the first time, and there was only 10 minutes left to go.

So GoT "world" question. Are the people at Castle Black the ONLY defenders of the Wall, or, can they signal back and get reinforcements from others in the realm? As Jon Snow mentioned, they maybe could hold out for one or two more days, but, if they could get reinforcements, they possibly could hold out longer? OTA, it's possible that any reinforcements might just be too far away.
Their are only 3 forts out of the original 12 that are manned today. Eastwatch by the sea, Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. Castle Black had the most men and was the most heavily fortified.

So their were really along with no real reinforcements to bring in.
su719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by su719 View Post
Their are only 3 forts out of the original 12 that are manned today. Eastwatch by the sea, Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. Castle Black had the most men and was the most heavily fortified.

So their were really along with no real reinforcements to bring in.
I wasn't necessarily thinking from the other forts, but from other parts of the realm. We know Winterfell or what's left of it is somewhat close (but probably still many days away). I guess without modern communication, there's probably no way to get help. But maybe I just missed something.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Bob Coxner
Registered User
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,608
We only a limited number of episodes each season. It seems to be a waste to spend an entire episode on one battle, without progressing any of the other story lines by an inch. It also doesn't fit with the ending of last week's episode. Not to mention, although I will, that large segments were just a mass of faceless men fighting each other inside the castle.

Color me disappointed overall.
__________________
Sceptre 40" X405BV-FHD3
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I wasn't necessarily thinking from the other forts, but from other parts of the realm. We know Winterfell or what's left of it is somewhat close (but probably still many days away). I guess without modern communication, there's probably no way to get help. But maybe I just missed something.
The Watch used to be enough. But it's been so long since there's been a real threat, nobody believes a real threat exists any more, so they figure there's no need for more than a skeleton crew to keep the Wildlings at bay.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #22
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I wasn't necessarily thinking from the other forts, but from other parts of the realm. We know Winterfell or what's left of it is somewhat close (but probably still many days away). I guess without modern communication, there's probably no way to get help. But maybe I just missed something.
Bolton is supposed to help (As Ned Stark would have). But Bolton is still just leaving Moat Cailin; which is at the south end of his territory. We know Winterfell is weeks away from the Wall (I'm thinking a month), and he's a couple of weeks away from Winterfell.

They are on their own unless Stannis has been on his way (we have no clue where Stannis is) and magically appears just in time with an army bought with the Braavos money.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #23
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
I thought the episode was horribly dull. Guess I don't think 60 minutes of fighting is interesting.
I agree.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
and if one Giant could lift it, 2 would have done it much easier. Then all they had to do is put something under it to keep it propped open...
Maybe they are like giants in the Harry Potter world. Dumb but strong.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #25
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Maybe they are like giants in the Harry Potter world. Dumb but strong.
Mance isn't dumb. Instead of the mammoth, all he needed was to tell those 2 giants to lift the gate!
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Oh, and lucky that Ygritte didn't let go of her arrow as she got shot
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #27
vertigo235
Registered User
 
vertigo235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 12,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Mance isn't dumb. Instead of the mammoth, all he needed was to tell those 2 giants to lift the gate!
Maybe he assumed that the keepers of the gate were not dumb, and it was likely locked?
__________________
vertigo235 xbox live and PSN ID = IamVertigo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,739
And we all could have predicted her last words would have been "You know nothing Jon Snow"
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #29
Shaunnick
Registered User
 
Shaunnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by su719 View Post
Their are only 3 forts out of the original 12 that are manned today. Eastwatch by the sea, Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. Castle Black had the most men and was the most heavily fortified.

So their were really along with no real reinforcements to bring in.
There were 19 forts I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
We only a limited number of episodes each season. It seems to be a waste to spend an entire episode on one battle, without progressing any of the other story lines by an inch. It also doesn't fit with the ending of last week's episode. Not to mention, although I will, that large segments were just a mass of faceless men fighting each other inside the castle.

Color me disappointed overall.
They did this in season two with the Battle of the Blackwater and the story overall did not suffer for it.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles
 
MonsterJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central MA
Posts: 12,963
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. (dot)
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |