TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #721
Tenkian

Hi guys,

I've succeeded in backing up my 320GB Aussie TIVO 3, to the primary HDD (drive C.
The Tivo HDD was connected via USB to an external case, and was recognised without problem.
However . . . . . .
I'll be damned if I can get DVRBars to recognise the new, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.
I can get the Seagate recognised by Win7, and DVRBars will recognise it as a "mounted" drive but will, of course, refuse to wipe the HDD.
So, quit out of DVRBars and unmount the Seagate. Restart DVRBars (under admin, of course) and go to "Restore" but "No useable drive available" (or equivalent).
Ok, so swap out DVD ROM drive for the new Seagate. Try the process again.
Still no joy.
I'm sure there's something REALLY basic I'm missing out on here.
Can anyone assist?
Thanks.
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #722
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkian View Post
Hi guys,

I've succeeded in backing up my 320GB Aussie TIVO 3, to the primary HDD (drive C.
The Tivo HDD was connected via USB to an external case, and was recognised without problem.
However . . . . . .
I'll be damned if I can get DVRBars to recognise the new, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD.
I can get the Seagate recognised by Win7, and DVRBars will recognise it as a "mounted" drive but will, of course, refuse to wipe the HDD.
So, quit out of DVRBars and unmount the Seagate. Restart DVRBars (under admin, of course) and go to "Restore" but "No useable drive available" (or equivalent).
Ok, so swap out DVD ROM drive for the new Seagate. Try the process again.
Still no joy.
I'm sure there's something REALLY basic I'm missing out on here.
Can anyone assist?
Thanks.
As you noticed, even though I put an option in DvrBARS to "show" mounted drives I refuse to wipe it for you. Call me chicken.

The easiest and safest way to wipe it is to use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics by WD or Seatools by Seagate. Run the Write Zeros test after being ABSOLUTELY SURE that you have the right drive selected. You can use the quick option that only wipes the first thousand sectors.

I was wondering when an Aussie would jump in. I want a copy of that image! Since your post count is low I'm sending you a PM with my email address. We'll work something out.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #723
emerz

Low Level Format Tool from the HDD Guru site has always work flawlessly for me.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-...l-Format-Tool/

Just select the option "Perform Quick Wipe (just remove partition and MBR)". Takes less than 5 seconds to complete.

No fussing with creating boot floppys or cd's. The portable version of LLFT runs in Windows by clicking the exe file.

Just throwing another option out there.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #724
TriGeek

ggieseke-

I tried PMing you, but apparently my permanent lurk mode around here means I don't have enough posts to send PM's. Would you be able to send me the information on how to find the 746 image? My premiere is deader than a doornail. Thanks in advance!
TriGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #725
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGeek View Post
ggieseke-

I tried PMing you, but apparently my permanent lurk mode around here means I don't have enough posts to send PM's. Would you be able to send me the information on how to find the 746 image? My premiere is deader than a doornail. Thanks in advance!
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #726
waynomo
My One Time

First time DvrBARS user here.

I want to make a backup of my series 1 Sony-2000. The instructions seem pretty straight forward. My one question is about hooking up a TiVo drive to a Windows machine that will boot into Windows. I read elsewhere...

"If you boot into Windows with a TiVo hard drive attached, Windows writes a signature to the first sector which prevents the TiVo from booting."

Should I be worried about this? If not, why?

The!
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #727
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

I want to make a backup of my series 1 Sony-2000. The instructions seem pretty straight forward. My one question is about hooking up a TiVo drive to a Windows machine that will boot into Windows. I read elsewhere...

"If you boot into Windows with a TiVo hard drive attached, Windows writes a signature to the first sector which prevents the TiVo from booting."

The!
That's only like Windows 2000 (maybe Vista), and before, that automatically did that. Now, if you open Disk Management console with a TiVo drive attached, it will say you have a disk that needs to be initialized, and ask Y/N (if you find yourself there, say NO). Best to just stay out of anything more than device manager, to see if Windows acknowledges the drive is there (purely as hardware).

You can still do it safely with older Windows, or be extra cautious with Win7/8/8.1, by doing this (which is not necessary for 7/8/8.1):

Get an administrative command prompt.
Type diskpart
Wait about 5 seconds for a new prompt to appear
Type automount disable
Verify it confirms automount is now disabled
Type exit
Type exit
Shut down, hook up drive, do your things.
Once done, make sure to turn automount back on using "enable" in place of "disable", verify it's enabled, exit, exit, and done.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #728
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

The!

If you're running XP Service Pack 3, you're okay. SP1 or 2, I won't swear that it won't put an MBR on there, so update to SP3 if necessary.

That's if you're running XP.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #729
waynomo
My One Time

Yes, I will be using an old XP machine. It's on SP3 so I should be good.
Thank you.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote