FovisJoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
Thank you, sir!
FovisJoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #602
gsol

I have a 746320 with a WD 1 TB external esata hooked up. I hooked both drives to a Win 7 PC and used DvrBARS to do modified full backup. The 320gb internal TiVo drive backed up fine to a 301gb .vhd file. The 1tb external drive gave numerous "read error messages" during backup which I kept clearing. The backup stopped at a file size of 984 gb because the backup site disc was full. I was surprised the external backup was so big since I only had 34% usage indicated on My Shows. I was thinking 34% of 1.3 tb should be 450 gb for both drives???
Any way, I would like to get both drives backed up with all the recordings (34%) and then restore all of it to a single 1tb drive to eliminate the existing internal and external drives. How can I do this.
Thanks for any help.
gsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #603
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Does anyone have a TCD750500 image?

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #604
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Does anyone have a TCD750500 image?
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #605
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsol View Post
I have a 746320 with a WD 1 TB external esata hooked up. I hooked both drives to a Win 7 PC and used DvrBARS to do modified full backup. The 320gb internal TiVo drive backed up fine to a 301gb .vhd file. The 1tb external drive gave numerous "read error messages" during backup which I kept clearing. The backup stopped at a file size of 984 gb because the backup site disc was full. I was surprised the external backup was so big since I only had 34% usage indicated on My Shows. I was thinking 34% of 1.3 tb should be 450 gb for both drives???
Any way, I would like to get both drives backed up with all the recordings (34%) and then restore all of it to a single 1tb drive to eliminate the existing internal and external drives. How can I do this.
Thanks for any help.
Something in recent versions of the OS is throwing off DvrBARS when it comes to making truncated bakups. It may be affecting Modified backups too, but I haven't had time to analyze an image with lots of recordings and figure it out. You might try clearing out the Recently Deleted folder and run the backup again.

As far as consolidating 1.3TB onto a single 1TB drive goes, it can't be done at this time (you can't go smaller). You could probably xerox the 320GB internal onto a 2TB drive, manually copy the MFS partitions from the external to the end, and get it to work. You would have to manually edit the partition table and the MFS superheader. It would be similar to jmbach's procedure to make a 4TB Premiere and not for the faint of heart.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #606
gsol

Quote:
Something in recent versions of the OS is throwing off DvrBARS when it comes to making truncated bakups. It may be affecting Modified backups too, but I haven't had time to analyze an image with lots of recordings and figure it out. You might try clearing out the Recently Deleted folder and run the backup again.

As far as consolidating 1.3TB onto a single 1TB drive goes, it can't be done at this time (you can't go smaller). You could probably xerox the 320GB internal onto a 2TB drive, manually copy the MFS partitions from the external to the end, and get it to work. You would have to manually edit the partition table and the MFS superheader. It would be similar to jmbach's procedure to make a 4TB Premiere and not for the faint of heart.
Hmm. I guess at this point I fall in the faint of heart category since I know nothing about copying MFS partitions or editing partition tables, etc. Thanks for your help, though.
gsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #607
UCLABB

I believe the HDD on my Premiere is dying (I've had to do multiple plug/unplug to get it booted for the last three mornings. I bought a 2TB HDD and want to do a modified backup/restore. The existing drive is about half full and been used for over a year. I also bought an HDD so that I have enough space in my computer to load the backup on.

Am I good to go?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #608
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I believe the HDD on my Premiere is dying (I've had to do multiple plug/unplug to get it booted for the last three mornings. I bought a 2TB HDD and want to do a modified backup/restore. The existing drive is about half full and been used for over a year. I also bought an HDD so that I have enough space in my computer to load the backup on.

Am I good to go?
If you have a way to have both drives connected to your computer at once, I would recommend using JMFS to copy/expand. You can then create a backup copy of the old drive if you so desire using DvrBARS after getting your TiVo back into operation. In any case, the first thing you should do is run the manufacturers diagnostics on the new drive.

What size is the existing drive?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #609
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you have a way to have both drives connected to your computer at once, I would recommend using JMFS to copy/expand. You can then create a backup copy of the old drive if you so desire using DvrBARS after getting your TiVo back into operation. In any case, the first thing you should do is run the manufacturers diagnostics on the new drive.

What size is the existing drive?
The existing drive is 2TB as will the new one. No need to expand. I just want to use the simplest method.

Thanks for the tip on doing the diagnostics on the new drive; I'll do that.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #610
lpwcomp

Quote:
The existing drive is 2TB as will the new one. No need to expand. I just want to use the simplest method.

Thanks for the tip on doing the diagnostics on the new drive; I'll do that.
You also need to be sure that the actual size of the new drive is as large as or larger than the existing drive. Even if they are labled the same, i.e. 2TB, there might be slight differences.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #611
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You also need to be sure that the actual size of the new drive is as large as or larger than the existing drive. Even if they are labled the same, i.e. 2TB, there might be slight differences.
Just use "properties" when I have them connected to check size?

So is it best to use DVrBARS or JMFS? I just want to do whatever is easiest.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #612
lpwcomp

Quote:
Just use "properties" when I have them connected to check size?
Compare the LBA values on the physical label on the drive. You really don't want to be using Windows file explorer to look at the disks.

Quote:
So is it best to use DVrBARS or JMFS? I just want to do whatever is easiest.
See this post to help you decide whether or not it currently makes sense to do a modified backup. If you're going to do the backup, you should permanently delete everything in "Recently Deleted" before removing the drive from the TiVo. If not, you can use JMFS or any boot disk that has ddrescue and use it to do the copy.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #613
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I just installed a 500gb drive in a TCD746320 which isn't active or subscribed to Tivo yet. I used DVrBars to restore a 320gb image to the 500gb drive and then JMFS live to expand it and it appeared to work after I did a clear and reset as I have 75hd hours.

However is it normal that the Tivo central menu is simple with only My Shows, Watch Live TV, Find Shows, Video on demand and Settings and Messages? I have never restored or expanded a drive in an inactive box before as this one is an extra Tivo that was given to me since it had a bad drive. I haven't seen such a simplified menu before.

I presume it will be normal once the TiVo is subscribed and active?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #614
tailwagger

Greg, thank you for all of your hard work on this thread. It is very informative. I have a Tivo Premiere XL (TCD 748000) and need an image for it. Do you have a DvrBARS image for this? Thanks in advance.
tailwagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #615
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I just installed a 500gb drive in a TCD746320 which isn't active or subscribed to Tivo yet. I used DVrBars to restore a 320gb image to the 500gb drive and then JMFS live to expand it and it appeared to work after I did a clear and reset as I have 75hd hours.

However is it normal that the Tivo central menu is simple with only My Shows, Watch Live TV, Find Shows, Video on demand and Settings and Messages? I have never restored or expanded a drive in an inactive box before as this one is an extra Tivo that was given to me since it had a bad drive. I haven't seen such a simplified menu before.

I presume it will be normal once the TiVo is subscribed and active?
I think it has to be hooked up to the Internet to be busier if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I have restored a fresh image on a Premiere. BTW if you are still wanting a 500GB native Premiere image send me a PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #616
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwagger View Post
Greg, thank you for all of your hard work on this thread. It is very informative. I have a Tivo Premiere XL (TCD 748000) and need an image for it. Do you have a DvrBARS image for this? Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #617
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I think it has to be hooked up to the Internet to be busier if I remember correctly. It has been a while since I have restored a fresh image on a Premiere. BTW if you are still wanting a 500GB native Premiere image send me a PM.
Its working now, just had to activate it. Greg got me the image but thanks!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #618
mkstretch

Anyone have a clean image for the premiere 746320? My HD seems to have died after the update. Thanks!
mkstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #619
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstretch View Post
Anyone have a clean image for the premiere 746320? My HD seems to have died after the update. Thanks!
PM sent.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #620
randomtech

Premiere XL TCD74800 image and expansion?

Sorry for a double post. I would love to get the image for my dead Premiere XL TCD74800 if you wouldn't mind. I also would like to know what I need to do to expand. I had a look at the dvrbars tool but couldn't tell if it would install onto a larger drive all by itself or if some expansion tool is required after the restore. I find confusing posts about what expansion tool would work for this model and perhaps what size the destination could be. I believe the starting drive is 1TB. I would love to go to 4TB but most of what I find is going to 2TB. Can someone enlighten me on this? What tool? What limitations?
randomtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #621
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtech View Post
Sorry for a double post. I would love to get the image for my dead Premiere XL TCD74800 if you wouldn't mind. I also would like to know what I need to do to expand. I had a look at the dvrbars tool but couldn't tell if it would install onto a larger drive all by itself or if some expansion tool is required after the restore. I find confusing posts about what expansion tool would work for this model and perhaps what size the destination could be. I believe the starting drive is 1TB. I would love to go to 4TB but most of what I find is going to 2TB. Can someone enlighten me on this? What tool? What limitations?
PM sent. DvrBARS doesn't do any expansion.

To get it up to 4TB, see jmbach's thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512153

I went a different route on my 748 by putting a factory 758 image on a 2TB drive. I modified the "brev=" value in Block0, put it in the TiVo to update, then imaged it again. After creating another blank 2TB virtual drive I set up a VMWare virtual machine connected to both VHDs and used jmfs to add the second drive. After that I copied both virtual drives to the appropriate locations on a 4TB drive and edited the partition table and MFS superblock.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #622
cykotix

Quote:
After creating another blank 2TB virtual drive I set up a VMWare virtual machine connected to both VHDs and used jmfs to add the second drive. After that I copied both virtual drives to the appropriate locations on a 4TB drive and edited the partition table and MFS superblock.
Any chance you could detail this procedure a bit more? I'm thinking I need to do something like this to go from a 320gb factory to a 4TB.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
cykotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #623
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykotix View Post
Any chance you could detail this procedure a bit more? I'm thinking I need to do something like this to go from a 320gb factory to a 4TB.
I don't know for sure that a TCD746320 will run a 758 image without any issues. My 748 didn't blink an eye (with or without the Block0 mods). The 758 image was taken from a factory never-booted drive, so it's still on the 14.5 OS. During the inevitable update to 20.x it downloads the appropriate software for the actual model and the System Information screen reflects that, but there are still traces of the previous model in some of the MFS files.

If you have a 2TB drive handy in addition to the eventual 4TB destination drive send me a PM and I'll try to walk you through the rest. You'll also need Windows 7 or higher and VMWare Workstation.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #624
cykotix

I'll be back later this afternoon. I need to get my lost count up before I can PM. I don't have a 2TB drive but I do have a spare 3TB wd red drive I can hopefully use as an intermediary. I use we can use hdparm to make it look like a 2TB.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #625
cykotix

I've got Windows 7 and virtualbox. Is vmware specifically needed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #626
cykotix

Quote:
I don't know for sure that a TCD746320 will run a 758 image without any issues. My 748 didn't blink an eye (with or without the Block0 mods). The 758 image was taken from a factory never-booted drive, so it's still on the 14.5 OS. During the inevitable update to 20.x it downloads the appropriate software for the actual model and the System Information screen reflects that, but there are still traces of the previous model in some of the MFS files.

If you have a 2TB drive handy in addition to the eventual 4TB destination drive send me a PM and I'll try to walk you through the rest. You'll also need Windows 7 or higher and VMWare Workstation.
Just to give some background of what I'm attempting versus what I'm starting with, I have a TCD746320 with the used, original 320gb drive. It's running the latest 20.x software. I want to replace the original 320gb drive to the 4TB WD40EZRX (green) drive I have. The original 320gb has never been tampered with. I have a backup of it's current state doing a Modified Full Backup using DvrBARS.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #627
cykotix

It looks like Virtualbox can mount VHD files, so I imagine using that should be just as good as VMWare unless you had a specific reason that's a better option. As an intermediary drive, I have a spare 3TB WD (red). I haven't connected it to anything yet. Hopefully that will be satisfactory to use for this process.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #628
cykotix

If I understand your original methodology, I would have the original VHD backup, create a blank 2TB VHD on the 3TB drive and have the eventual 4TB destination drive physically connected. All 3 drives would be connected to the VM (booting JMFS?) - 320gb VHD, 2TB VHD, 4TB physical.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #629
cykotix

I apologize for all the short responses to get my post count to 10 to PM. I appreciate any and all help to get this accomplished. I intend to do the same thing on my TCD746500.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #630
UCLABB

I'm about to do a backup and restore for my 2tb XL4. Will be doing a modified restore and my disc is about 60% full. Will permanently delete recently deleted files.

I will be using an external drive case using an Esata connection. In order to plan this out to minimize problems with the TiVo being down, can someone give me an idea roughly how long the back up and restore steps will take?