TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
msilano

Help needed - TCD748000 - odd failure

Hi all. I've got a strange problem (or maybe problems) with my Premiere XL.

Original drive died about 18 months ago, replaced with a weaknees 2gb drive.

Earlier this month, started to get random reboots & freezes, increasing in frequency. Kickstarts were unsuccessful in resolving and overnight and automatic disk tests all passed.

When I received the upgraded drive, I took a DRVBARS backup of it before installing. Dug that up and restored to a new 2GB drive....and we have liftoff! Back to guided setup.

...but can't seem to make it through the software update. Keeps freezing on "loading info" - somewhere between 1% and 57%.

A few other observations:

1. Each of the drives passes mfr diagnostics and smart tests
2. The process seems to inch closer to completion each time...with great advances being made when the cable card and TA are not connected

Questions for the experts:

1. My experience tells me that the drive is most prone to failure. I would have thought replacing the drive would have cured all problems. How likely is it that a bad TA or CableCard is contributing to this?

2. How likely is it that my image is bad? Should I try again with a fresh TCD748000 image?

3. Am I just SOL?

Thanks in advance,
Msilano
msilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
ggieseke

How is it connected to your network?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
msilano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
How is it connected to your network?
Ethernet.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
msilano

Updates:

After 5 or 6 reboots and Kickstart 57's, the system update appears to have taken and the Tivo is up and running!!!

....for about 15 minutes, maybe 30, then 45.....and then it freezes again.

Went to Time Warner, picked up a new CableCard, installed it, paired it, and everything was great....for maybe an hour....and then it freezes again.

So it doesn't appear to be the drive, doesn't appear to be the CableCard. Could a power supply do this? Visual inspection didn't show any leaking capacitors or anything amiss.

I'm about 10 minutes away from getting a Roamio....but I don't want to throw away the Lifetime on this Tivo. Any ideas?

Thanks again all.

-msilano
Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

now that the software update has installed, have you tried running without an ethernet connection? what is your signal strength/snr?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
msilano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
now that the software update has installed, have you tried running without an ethernet connection? what is your signal strength/snr?
Signal strength is good, and has been unchanged for a long time.

Am going to fire up the Tivo unconnected to anything and see how long it stays up without a reboot or freeze.

Any other ideas?

-m
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
jmbach

Power supply and drive cable would be my other guesses. Also check the heat of the system. Should not be overheating but if the fan went bad, who knows.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
jmbach

If everything fails and if you have the original drive, call TiVo and see if they will cut you a deal and send the unit back with the original drive.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
msilano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If everything fails and if you have the original drive, call TiVo and see if they will cut you a deal and send the unit back with the original drive.
Thanks for the reply. Am trying a new power supply. Called Tivo and got the 10 year loyalty deal on a new Roamio Plus. And when I asked about getting the Premiere repaired, they referred me to Weaknees!

-mike