TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
tha_toadman

Tivo HD Series 3 drive upgrade

Hey everyone,

Hopefully this one should be quick and painless. My question is that if I've purchased a 500GB WD AV-GP drive for my upgrade, can I simply plug it in, boot to kickstart 56, download and install the latest OS and then go on my way?

I've read about WinMFS and InstantCake but I have no data that I need to retrieve nor do I care if the unit has to be factory reset. I simply want to plug in the drive, get the OS on there and be done with it. Am I on the right track? If not, can you please point me in the proper direction? Thanks.

tha_toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_toadman View Post
Hopefully this one should be quick and painless. My question is that if I've purchased a 500GB WD AV-GP drive for my upgrade, can I simply plug it in, boot to kickstart 56, download and install the latest OS and then go on my way?
No. Nice thought though.

Quote:
I've read about WinMFS and InstantCake but I have no data that I need to retrieve nor do I care if the unit has to be factory reset. I simply want to plug in the drive, get the OS on there and be done with it. Am I on the right track? If not, can you please point me in the proper direction? Thanks.
Start here or here for your search.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Did you already purchase the drive?

If not, get a WD20EURX from newegg or Amazon (directly from them, not some other company using their website).

3 year warranty, best GB/$ ratio for the HD.

I assume you mean you have a TCD652160?

Is there anything wrong with the original drive and are you sure that it's the drive and not the power supply not being able to supply enough current to run everything?

Do you have a PC running Windows XP or newer where you can open it up and get to an unused SATA port or 2?

Once we establish whether it'll do you any good, I'll tell you where to download a Series 3 image for whichever S3 model you have, and how to get it on the new drive.

I'll also tell you how to run the WD diagnostic on the new drive before you put it in service.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
tha_toadman

Hey unitron,

To answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you already purchase the drive?
Yes I did. I appreciate the suggestion but I didn't want to wrap up much cash into this.

Quote:
I assume you mean you have a TCD652160?
Yes, that is the model.

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with the original drive and are you sure that it's the drive and not the power supply not being able to supply enough current to run everything?
Yes. I called Tech Support to find the kickstart code (54) for SMART testing of which my unit had a couple of "Failed 7" messages. I noticed yesterday that the drive has a faint clicking too so it's shot. A scan of the drive reported 6+ areas with bad sectors so the new one is on order. I don't know what I can do to test the PS. Since you've asked this, I take it the PS's start to fail over time.

Quote:
Do you have a PC running Windows XP or newer where you can open it up and get to an unused SATA port or 2?
Yes.

Quote:
Once we establish whether it'll do you any good, I'll tell you where to download a Series 3 image for whichever S3 model you have, and how to get it on the new drive.

I'll also tell you how to run the WD diagnostic on the new drive before you put it in service.
Ok, thanks. I assume this is for either laying down 0's to the platters or else we're checking for the IntelliPark feature to be disabled, correct?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
tha_toadman

Hey unitron,

I figured out what to do. I did use WinMFS and found a copy of the .tbk file I needed. You mentioned a link so I googled it and found the URL. I then ran the program, made the swap 256 since I was upgrading and performed the restore. I then mounted the drive in the unit, plugged the unit it in and it booted just fine (but really slow, as expected).

I noticed two things. One was I used an 11.0k image and I know the unit was on 11.0m before I performed the upgrade. The other is that after my first boot, the system gave me some 'system problem detected' error and insisted I reboot. After reboot, the message was gone and I had Live TV.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
ggieseke

It will update itself back up to 11.0m, but the system error was almost certainly error 51. Until you run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the drive to the motherboard the Media Access Key will show all zeros and you won't be able to record anything.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
tha_toadman

Thanks ggieseke for the info. I did what you suggested and now I have that Media Access Key populated. It was previously all zeros but then clearing of the drive said it would take up to an hour to complete. I checked it afterwards and it looks like its ready for service. It also managed to auto-update itself to 11.0m so I'm all set.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
tivoROCKSme

Smile Tivo HD 1TB drive failing, want to replace with 2TB

All, years ago right after I bought my new Tivo HD, I bought and installed a WD 1TB HD. I'm pretty sure it's failing because my TIVO is now starting to reboot frequently after going to a pixel-lated screen. Seems to be getting more frequent. I've got over 7 years on this drive so that's good. Anyway, I need advise on which new SATA 2TB drive to purchase, and where to find the step by step instructions for copying this data from old drive to new drive. Many thanks

Last edited by tivoROCKSme; 06-25-2015 at 05:42 PM.
tivoROCKSme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post
All, years ago right after I bought my new Tivo HD, I bought and installed a WD 1TB HD. I'm pretty sure it's failing because my TIVO is now starting to reboot frequently after going to a pixel-lated screen. Seems to be getting more frequent. I've got over 7 years on this drive so that's good. Anyway, I need advise on which new SATA 2TB drive to purchase, and where to find the step by step instructions for copying this data from old drive to new drive. Many thanks
Get a WD20EURX from like newegg or Amazon (but not from other companies using their websites--watch out for phrases like "partner", "marketplace", etc.)

Should be under $100.

More info later.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoROCKSme View Post

Please tell me you mean you replaced the internal 160GB drive with that 1TB and not that you mean you added the 1TB version of the TiVo-approved external WD eSATA drive.

When one gets a new (or new to them) hard drive, one should hook it to a PC and run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test before putting it into service, preferably from a boot CD.

Go here

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

and read up about the Ultimate Boot CD

and then go here

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

go down to where it says Mirror Sites, find one that looks near you (relatively speaking) and on the left where it says ISO click on the icon (that's an old, like Windows 3.0 era, depiction of a hard drive) to download the image file (which has a .iso extension).

Then you burn that to cd-r "as an image" (that way the right stuff is on the cd in the right place for it to be bootable)

You should be able to figure out how to get to the WD diagnostic program by reading the UBCD overview page.

As for copying the old drive to the new one, you can try doing it with the WinMFS program that runs on Windows XP SP3 or newer versions of Windows.

You can read about it here

http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs

and then click this

http://mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=86

to actually download the .zip file that contains

winmfs.exe

If WinMFS copies the 1TB to the 2TB successfully, it'll tell you that you have extra space and ask if you want to expand into that space.

Tell it no.

(just take my word for it)

Then select the 2TB (previously you would have selected the 1TB since that was the source for the copy) and run

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay.

The partition map should show a big Apple Free partition on the end.

Exit out of that and run

mfsadd

to expand your 3rd MFS Media partition into that extra space.

If WinMFS runs into trouble trying to make the copy, then I'll have to try to walk you through getting to a Linux command line with the UBCD and running

ddrescue.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
tivoROCKSme

Thank you very much. You are correct that I replaced the original drive with a 1 TB internal drive around 7 years ago. I just ordered a 1TB WD replacement drive WD10EZRX it should arrive tomorrow (Tuesday). I'll try your instructions and see how it goes. Thanks VERY much!

Last edited by tivoROCKSme; 06-29-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #12
tivoROCKSme

My Winmfs Beta Build 9.3f program doesn't show either of the 2 drives (one old Tivo drive and one new Tivo drive)
It also doesn't have a "Tools" option across the top toolbar. Windows does see the 2 drives in disk management as unformatted. Do I need to initialize the drives in Windows?
in Winmfs, when I choose "File" then "Select Drive" the dialog box shows up but there is no drive information for either drive A or B
Help!
I'm using a computer with Windows 7

Last edited by tivoROCKSme; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #13
jmbach
der Neuerer

Make sure you right click on WinMFS and run as administrator.

Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #14
tivoROCKSme

Run as Admin took care of the issue of the drives not showing up.
Thanks -
Copy in progress. ETA 6 hours 15 min