TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
dcbarry

Cool Upgraded hard drive --> Tech support refused (possible new policy?)

So, I've had upgraded drives in my S1, s2, DTV, DTV-HD150 (?), and Tivo HD. Until yesterday, that has never been an issue with Tivo customer support.

However, as described in another thread, I just got my first Roamio, which I upgraded with 6TB drive.

However, I am having having transfer issues between the new Roamio and my older S3s, and between the Roamio and a new mini. Basically, they can see each other, but refuse to transfer (or in the case of the mini, pair). I've done all of the "standard" troubleshooting (reboot, forced call, MAK check, network check, etc.).

So in troubleshooting, I called Tivo. After a few minutes of the usual basic Tivo 101 troubleshooting, he went offline. When he returned, the rep flat out told me what I have "altered" my Tivo, so there was nothing else to be done.

So, while rolling my eyes, I asked him if he would work with me if I restored the original drive. He told me unconditionally no, that because once the warranty was voided (), it was no longer eligible for any support.

I realize CSRs are like playing roulette -- my concern is if he actively put something like that in the notes -- or worse when he went offline if a manager did. Or worse, if we are at the beginning of a new era with Tivo, where they start crippling features if they see non-stock devices.

dcbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbarry View Post
So, I've had upgraded drives in my S1, s2, DTV, DTV-HD150 (?), and Tivo HD. Until yesterday, that has never been an issue with Tivo customer support.

However, as described in another thread, I just got my first Roamio, which I upgraded with 6TB drive.

However, I am having having transfer issues between the new Roamio and my older S3s, and between the Roamio and a new mini. Basically, they can see each other, but refuse to transfer (or in the case of the mini, pair). I've done all of the "standard" troubleshooting (reboot, forced call, MAK check, network check, etc.).

So in troubleshooting, I called Tivo. After a few minutes of the usual basic Tivo 101 troubleshooting, he went offline. When he returned, the rep flat out told me what I have "altered" my Tivo, so there was nothing else to be done.

So, while rolling my eyes, I asked him if he would work with me if I restored the original drive. He told me unconditionally no, that because once the warranty was voided (), it was no longer eligible for any support.

I realize CSRs are like playing roulette -- my concern is if he actively put something like that in the notes -- or worse when he went offline if a manager did. Or worse, if we are at the beginning of a new era with Tivo, where they start crippling features if they see non-stock devices.
They're using any flimsy excuse to deny you service, citing something that technically voids the warranty but obviously has nothing to do with your problem. Such mean-spirited tightening of policies could be a sign that TiVo is having trouble maintaining enough support staff. I hope their situation is not that desperate.

If they just refuse to give you phone support, well, you're probably better off coming here anyway. But if they use such a flimsy excuse to refuse warranty service on defective hardware, that would be unethical and possibly illegal, depending on state laws.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbarry View Post

Out of curiosity, did you go online at TiVo.com and enable transfer on the Roamio?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
lew

I read the ops other thread. It sounds like the OP picked up a used Roamio. He upgraded the hard drive before making sure the unit works. I suggested installing the original drive and see what happens.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: