TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
DigitalDawn

XL4 Loses CC Pairing Every Month

I've looked for similar issues here in the forums but haven't been able to find any.

Every 3-5 weeks my XL4 loses cable card pairing with Comcast. This has been happening since I bought it last August. I usually lose all non-local channels, but the last time I actually lost all HD locals as well.

At first I thought it was the Cable Card -- I had 5 of them replaced. Comcast checked our cable signal and it was perfect. I also have a Series 3 and a PC with a Ceton card and those cable cards never get unpaired -- only the XL4.

I can fix the problem most of the time by pulling the cable card out, reinserting it, and having Comcast re-pair it from their head-end. But after a few weeks, the problem occurs again.

I'm thinking that it's a bad TiVo since my Series 3 and Ceton work just fine with their cable cards. I even have the XL4 on a UPS.

Any thoughts???
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Call Tivo?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
XIBM

There are several customers that have a similar problem. See Tivo Premier DVR section, thread-Losing All Channels and Channels Not Tuning. In my case on Charter Cable with a Tuning Adapter my XL4 loses contact with my Motorola M Cable Card and requires a reboot about once a week.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
I've looked for similar issues here in the forums but haven't been able to find any.

Every 3-5 weeks my XL4 loses cable card pairing with Comcast. This has been happening since I bought it last August. I usually lose all non-local channels, but the last time I actually lost all HD locals as well.

At first I thought it was the Cable Card -- I had 5 of them replaced. Comcast checked our cable signal and it was perfect. I also have a Series 3 and a PC with a Ceton card and those cable cards never get unpaired -- only the XL4.

I can fix the problem most of the time by pulling the cable card out, reinserting it, and having Comcast re-pair it from their head-end. But after a few weeks, the problem occurs again.

I'm thinking that it's a bad TiVo since my Series 3 and Ceton work just fine with their cable cards. I even have the XL4 on a UPS.

Any thoughts???
I had this on one cable card, a Comcast tech came out today, did a cable test (I passed) then went to somebody on his phone who rebuilt the card, in this process the TiVo said the card was removed (it was not removed) than it all came back over about 5 min. Working great now. Make a record of your host ID and data and when the card stops working make sure that the data has not changed, also under the cable card menu check the CC network and make sure that the message indicator will increase each time you press the select button on the TiVo remote, if that does not happen the card is having problems with the cable co. communicating with it, then the auto time out on the cable card will turn the card off in about 10 to 30 days or so. Could also have a bad TiVo CC slot.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
DigitalDawn

Les,

I looked for the Cable Card Network menu and the message indicator and couldn't find them. Which cc screen should I be looking for?

BTW, the cable card numbers and host ID are always correct.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Les,

I looked for the Cable Card Network menu and the message indicator and couldn't find them. Which cc screen should I be looking for?

BTW, the cable card numbers and host ID are always correct.
I have Comcast using Moto Cable cards, under the Cable card menu I have about 8 menu items, the first is conditional access a few menu items down is the word network in the menu item, that is the one I was talking about.