TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
sldavis1952

Web Video Launchpad

Saw a new entry in My Shows tonight. It was just below AOL On. It is called Web Video Launchpad. When you select it you go to an app called Launchpad for Tivo. Some of the entries are Break, Crunchyroll, TMZ, Showtime Featurettes, etc.
sldavis1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Had to force a connection but I see it now.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis1952 View Post
Saw a new entry in My Shows tonight. It was just below AOL On. It is called Web Video Launchpad. When you select it you go to an app called Launchpad for Tivo. Some of the entries are Break, Crunchyroll, TMZ, Showtime Featurettes, etc.
I noticed this on one of my TiVo's but not the other. Is there any way to remove it?
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
davezatz
Funkadelic

I got it too, Elite/XL4.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Flingo looks pretty cool, but every YouTube video I put in my FlingQueue says Content not available. Even videos without ads.

Also wondering how this info is getting to my TiVo, I did not set-up any account with Flingo.org? Facebook account maybe?
How does it work: http://flingo.org/developers.html

Has anyone been able to play a video sent to the FlingQueue?

Can/How do you rename your devices from "test by test_make named Tivo"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 02-13-2013 at 09:43 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Kerwin51580

I had a chance to play with it this morning. I have the TED app on our living TV (Samsung UN55D8000). The TED channel on Launchpad is comparable to that -- the interface looks a bit better than the Samsung version albeit a little slower to respond.

I'm happy with it...if only Amazon was available on Launchpad I'd be set.

Update: Forgot to mention that I tried the NASA 360 channel as well. I noticed that when I launched both, a 15-second ad played before the channel interface popped up.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
sharkster

It also showed up on one of my Tivos last night, after a 26 hour widespread internet outage in my area.

I tried to figure out how to get rid of it and was unsuccessful. Geez...I wish they would bundle up all this kind of stuff and let the customer choose what they want on their 'My Shows' list.

I had to completely disable folders just to make some stuff I didn't want go away. This one, however, I don't know what the hdeal is.

I just wish we could get 'On Demand' with Charter here. I got a new remote and it has a button for it, so that's cool.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

I tried to figure out how to get rid of it and was unsuccessful. Geez...I wish they would bundle up all this kind of stuff and let the customer choose what they want on their 'My Shows' list.

I had to completely disable folders just to make some stuff I didn't want go away. This one, however, I don't know what the hdeal is.
Can you not uncheck it from Video Providers like you can with Netflix, Youtube, etc?
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
mrsean

Oh great. This is just what we need...another useless feature in leu of bugfixes and infrastructure updates.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Can you not uncheck it from Video Providers like you can with Netflix, Youtube, etc?
Not at this time.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
No, of course not.

Why would TiVo give us the option to control a box we pay for? Like turning off the Discovery Bar, or turning off the useless "HD Recordings" folder. UG!

I did look for the standard way to turn it off (in video sources) before looking for this thread online. And I called TiVo "support" to lodge my complaint. Turns out they can "opt you out" of the service if you want, although it will take a day or so for it to update. I told them to please opt me out.

I don't mind the option appearing in Find TV, Movies, & Videos (where is also is) but I don't want any clutter in my "My Shows". HINT: "Web Video Launchpad" is *NOT* one of my shows...

Last edited by crxssi : 02-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Got it on at least one of my TiVos. Looks pretty interesting. Love that TiVo keeps adding features so quickly and unannounced. Keep it up TiVo!

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

It's stupid....sluggish....useless....and I want the option to remove it from my NPL (or whatever the hell it's now called)...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, of course not.

Why would TiVo give us the option to control a box we pay for? Like turning off the Discovery Bar, or turning off the useless "HD Recordings" folder. UG!

I did look for the standard way to turn it off (in video sources) before looking for this thread online. And I called TiVo "support" to lodge my complaint. Turns out they can "opt you out" of the service if you want, although it will take a day or so for it to update. I told them to please opt me out.

I don't mind the option appearing in Find TV, Movies, & Videos (where is also is) but I don't want any clutter in my "My Shows". HINT: "Web Video Launchpad" is *NOT* one of my shows...
+1

Thanx for passing this along. I called TiVo support today and was told that there was no way to turn this feature off. (Note that it only appears in the HDUI.) I then referred to your post and the CSR made some inquiries and reconfirmed that it can not be removed from the HDUI My Shows listing. She said that the only opt-out option would be for TiVo promotions and marketing messages, so perhaps this is what your CSR was referring to.

Please let us know if you were successful and, if so, how we can best guide the support personnel through the process.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
sharkster

Quote:
I did go to that area of settings and it is not listed there like the other video provides are. weird, eh?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
mlippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, of course not.

Well I just turned on my TiVo and saw the Web Video Launchpad, played with it for a minute, determined I didn't want it wasting space in "My Shows", went to Video Providers to turn it off only to find there was no entry for it and came here...

I'm quoting crxssi, because he is expressing my feeling exactly! I don't mind it appearing in the "Find TV..." list. Also I'd like to remove the useless (to me anyway) "HD Recordings" folder.

I'd prefer Netflix to not be in "My Shows" but only in "Find TV..." list, but checking it as a video provider puts it in both places, and unchecking it removes it from both.

It's nice to know that I can call and opt-out, I'll probably have to do that because I really don't want it in My Shows, but I would have preferred to be able to turn it on and off as I wished in case I wanted to check it out again at some point.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Goober96

Aren't you people overreacting just a little? TiVo added a new feature. If you don't like it, just ignore it. What's the big deal about it being in the NPL? It doesn't hurt anything. Just don't select it if you choose not to. Complaining about a new feature that you aren't forced to use just doesn't make much sense.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Aren't you people overreacting just a little? TiVo added a new feature. If you don't like it, just ignore it. What's the big deal about it being in the NPL? It doesn't hurt anything. Just don't select it if you choose not to. Complaining about a new feature that you aren't forced to use just doesn't make much sense.
This isn't overreacting; it's a needless addition to the NPL or My Shows list that we should be allowed to remove. If your list is anything like mine, it's quite lengthy already and doesn't need one more useless addition to it.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

This isn't overreacting; it's a needless addition to the NPL or My Shows list that we should be allowed to remove. If your list is anything like mine, it's quite lengthy already and doesn't need one more useless addition to it.
Yes, my list is quite lengthy as well but I just ignore anything I don't use and go to the shows I want to watch. No need to complain about it. It's just not worth it.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
rainwater

Quote:
I've complained about the useless HD Recordings folder since it was introduced (why would anyone honestly need to look for a show in this folder?). I honestly don't think TiVo cares about keeping a clean look to the NPL.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

I'm of the opinion that they launched (no pun intended) it a bit early. The Flingo part is clearly still marked as beta, for example. It's also (at least on my DVRs) missing an icon while all of the other video providers in the My Shows list have icons. I'd expect that they will shortly insert the option to turn it on/off. Of course, if they don't do it within a few weeks, then I also agree with crxssi. We *should* have the option to have it show in that area, or not, according to our individual preference.

/edit: Tweeted at TiVoMargret about it:
https://twitter.com/gonzotek/status/302118265688297473
A Web app for Roku Remote Control

Last edited by gonzotek : 02-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
drebbe
Carbon Blob

TiVo Partners With Flingo - Press Release

Official Press Release

TiVo Partners With Flingo to Enable Rapid Video Publishing and App Deployment
on TiVo Premiere Set-Top Boxes

Flingo's LaunchPad Platform Combines the Best of Web and TV
Entertainment With Social Sharing Capabilities

SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/14/13 -- Flingo
(www.flingo.tv), the world's largest publisher of Smart TV apps,
today announced that TiVo Inc. has integrated Flingo's LaunchPad
video platform into TiVo(R) Premiere set-top boxes, bringing over
seventy streaming on-demand video applications to viewers' TVs for
instant streaming. In addition to the streaming video channels
previously available, TiVo Premiere owners now have access to
Flingo's complete portfolio of applications, including video content
from TMZ, A&E, History, Showtime, TV Guide, and over fifty other
content partners, plus exclusive access to new content developed
specifically for TiVo subscribers through the "Launchpad for TiVo."

"People are demanding access to online streaming content from the
comfort of their own living room, and TiVo's offerings has evolved to
support that demand," said Tara Maitra, SVP and general manager of
content & media sales at TiVo Inc. "Flingo's platform and wide range
of apps makes it possible for TiVo to offer even more choices to our
viewers, and we're excited to work with Flingo."

"TiVo changed the way we watch television forever," said Ashwin
Navin, CEO and co-founder of Flingo. "Working with TiVo allows us to
drive further innovation into the world of TV by offering the
consumer substantially more content diversity and unparalleled social
features in the living room."

Premiere owners have access to Flingo's complete portfolio of
applications today.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
atmuscarella

I have a Netgear NeoTV that uses Flingo. I consider the Netgear device to be the worst streaming video device I have (and I have 6 different ones) and never liked the way the content was presented. I haven't had a chance to see how it works on my Premiere yet but I hope it is allot better.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Balzer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Totally agree. I noticed it, tried it out a little, decided I don't want to use it, so I will just ignore it. Big whoop. Nothing to cry or complain about.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
markp99
TakoKichi

Especially at the bottom of the list. I did not even notice it was added until mentioned here.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
It's stupid....sluggish....useless....and I want the option to remove it from my NPL (or whatever the hell it's now called)...
My thought exactly.
I saw this on my Tivo last night just as I was about to turn off the tv and go to bed, so I only had time for a quick look, but didn't really see any reason to look at it again.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I have a Netgear NeoTV that uses Flingo. I consider the Netgear device to be the worst streaming video device I have (and I have 6 different ones) and never liked the way the content was presented. I haven't had a chance to see how it works on my Premiere yet but I hope it is allot better.
Yeb same terrible UI slow always trying to load stuff while you are trying to get through the terrible menus.

To the dumb sh**s who programed Flingo - do us all a favor and become Walmart greeters.

To Tivo just stop the insanity cache menu stuff coming from the Internet and update it in the back ground.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-14-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Totally agree. I noticed it, tried it out a little, decided I don't want to use it, so I will just ignore it. Big whoop. Nothing to cry or complain about.
Agree about it being no issue being in the NPL but it is a big deal that this sucks so bad. Tivo needs to get streaming done right but this Flingo crap isn't the way to do it. It sucks just as bad on Netgear's NeooTV so I am going to assume the Flingo service just sucks in general I think TiVo might be better off with nothing than this.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #29
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yeb same terrible UI slow always trying to load stuff while you are trying to get through the terrible menus.

To the dumb sh**s who programed Flingo - do us all a favor and become Walmart greeters.

To Tivo just stop the insanity cache menu stuff coming from the Internet and update it in the back ground.
Walmart fired the greeters. Perhaps that would work on this issue too.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
Time_Lord

Noticed the app today... I could be a nice app to use *IF* it was responsive and had a decent interface. Played with it for about 10 minutes and gave up it was SOOOOO SLOOOOWWWW
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote