TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
atmuscarella

Looking for a DSL Expert

My DSL provider turned off my DSL service by mistake when I changed my level of phone service with them and now claims that they cannot turn it back on without a tech coming to my house.

Does anyone know if that is true?

I posted the full saga here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...28#post9602128

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 04-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

If they turned it off without coming to your house, then they would also be able to turn it back on without coming to your house.

Although in my area, when I had DSL, when I had terminated it, a tech came out the next day and removed the wires that I had been using for DSL. But the tech physically came to the location to physically remove the connection. So for me to have had it reintsated on those same lines would have involved a tech coming back out.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If they turned it off without coming to your house, then they would also be able to turn it back on without coming to your house.
That was my thought but I have gotten no ware with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Although in my area, when I had DSL, when I had terminated it, a tech came out the next day and removed the wires that I had been using for DSL. But the tech physically came to the location to physically remove the connection. So for me to have had it reintsated on those same lines would have involved a tech coming back out.
That is what I remember when I first got DSL they came out did something at the road.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Our local phone company does self install of DSL. They mail you a modem and some filters and you're on your own. (unless you want to pay $50 to have a tech come do it for you)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
My DSL provider turned off my DSL service by mistake when I changed my level of phone service with them and now claims that they cannot turn it back on without a tech coming to my house.

Does anyone know if that is true?
It's not true.

I just had a neighbor who lost his DSL because a disconnect order he had cancelled long ago got executed.

It takes getting into the central office and rerunning the pairs through the ATM switch, but nothing needs to be changed at the customer end.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Once upon a time I had SWB Elite tier DSL. Then after AT&T merged with SWB I changed apartments (moved downstairs) and Elite was no longer available they forced me down but offered to upgrade me for a very high price to Uverse.

AT&T, Varizon and others are quickly attempting to dump their DSL customers and it's about anything they can do to get rid of DSL customers.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
jcthorne

Why do you say that? ATT is actively advertising DSL service here in Houston at some pretty cheap prices. 6Mb for $20. Not the fastest connection but its a pretty good price.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
atmuscarella

Well that was amusing after 4 days of claiming a tech need to come on site they fixed it from their central office. Maybe when they say they have to send a tech what they really mean is we have to assign it to a tech, who knows at least it is back up.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well that was amusing after 4 days of claiming a tech need to come on site they fixed it from their central office. Maybe when they say they have to send a tech what they really mean is we have to assign it to a tech, who knows at least it is back up.
They meant they have to send a tech to the CO.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Why do you say that? ATT is actively advertising DSL service here in Houston at some pretty cheap prices. 6Mb for $20. Not the fastest connection but its a pretty good price.
Are you sure you can really get it for $20 *without* having a landline also? From what I can tell, the cheapest seems to be $25/month without a landline.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
jcthorne

You are correct, sorry the fine print is the $19.95 advertised price is part of a bundle. $25 as stand alone. Still less than half what Comcast wants for even basic service stand alone.

Not many options under $50 a month with decent speed and limits.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
mattack

Well, $29.99 for 6 months, then it goes to about $45/month.. so average halfways between those for a year.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
jcthorne

$24.99 a month for a year. Call at end of year and renew. Never an argument about the price like there was with Comcrap. I have been under $30 a month all in for 4 yrs now on ATT. Again, not the fastest but 6Mbit is not bad for most use, I do not stream media. Oh, that rate includes the DSL modem which seems to die about every 2 years. They just bring me another one. I actually have a spare now. The repair guy was pretty good about it and left it.

ATT customer service on the phone is no better than cable co but the field installer/techs have been very good and real ATT employees.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Bigg

Even for free, 6mbps is terrible. I get close to 60. Comcast Blast! is awesome and it is overprovisioned. And, for now, there's no limit.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
mattack

Can you quote an online price for $24.99 for a year?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
jcthorne

Just went to the att web site and $24.99 is the price offered for 1 year of elite 6mbps service. It may vary by service address as I had to enter my neighbor's address.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #17
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Even for free, 6mbps is terrible. I get close to 60. Comcast Blast! is awesome and it is overprovisioned. And, for now, there's no limit.
Yes, that is fast. You also pay for it. And just keep thinking Comcast home service is unlimited. Cross that 300GB/month barrier a few times and you are out on your butt. 60Mbit service with unlimited usage is Comcast business and its $80 a month promotional rate. nearly 3 times what I pay now. I would not get 3x more data so why pay it? Of what use is the higher speed if I get everything I need now? As I said, I do not stream media so there is no real time speed requirement. Even with 60Mbit service, streaming is far inferior to local storage of HD media.

If it works for you, great. And glad to know they offer it. I might pay a bit more for higher speed, but not $80 a month.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
Yes, that is fast. You also pay for it. And just keep thinking Comcast home service is unlimited. Cross that 300GB/month barrier a few times and you are out on your butt. 60Mbit service with unlimited usage is Comcast business and its $80 a month promotional rate. nearly 3 times what I pay now. I would not get 3x more data so why pay it? Of what use is the higher speed if I get everything I need now? As I said, I do not stream media so there is no real time speed requirement. Even with 60Mbit service, streaming is far inferior to local storage of HD media.

If it works for you, great. And glad to know they offer it. I might pay a bit more for higher speed, but not $80 a month.
I can modify my behavior to be <100GB fairly easily. I oftentimes consume excess bandwidth just because I might want something, and it would be convenient if I already download it or whatnot.

DSL is painfully slow. Everything takes longer, and many things, like streaming VUDU HDX, just aren't possible with slow DSL.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
jcthorne

Other than streaming video, network latency has far more to do with apparent network speed than bandwidth. What, you can really tell the difference between 200 and 250 ms to load a web page? And that 50ms is worth $80 a month? If its worth it to you then fine. I certainly spend money on things others find extravagant. My point is that DSL is a viable solution for many that the cablecos would like to have think otherwise. Its seldom the bandwidth you are waiting for.

If you are not streaming or moving large files in real time, DSL is far faster than a human can consume internet content.

If you are streaming HD video, you are not streaming much if you use less than 100GB.

I use well over 1TB a month on our DSL line. Pretty good bargain at $30 a month.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Bigg

Quote:
Other than streaming video, network latency has far more to do with apparent network speed than bandwidth. What, you can really tell the difference between 200 and 250 ms to load a web page? And that 50ms is worth $80 a month? If its worth it to you then fine. I certainly spend money on things others find extravagant. My point is that DSL is a viable solution for many that the cablecos would like to have think otherwise. Its seldom the bandwidth you are waiting for.

If you are not streaming or moving large files in real time, DSL is far faster than a human can consume internet content.

If you are streaming HD video, you are not streaming much if you use less than 100GB.

I use well over 1TB a month on our DSL line. Pretty good bargain at $30 a month.
Downloading, streaming, software updates, it's great when you can pull 6MBps (megaBYTES).
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
Other than streaming video, network latency has far more to do with apparent network speed than bandwidth.
I would not call it "apparent". The bandwidth of any TCP connection is absolutely limited by the latency and the maximum size of the Rx buffers. Actually, it is not just TCP. Any transmission protocol which guarantees intact transmissions will be limited in one way or another by the latency and the span of the Rx cache. The reason is straightforward: the receiving protocol must be able to assemble an entire set of datagrams before sending the data set on to the application. If one or more packets somehow gets dropped, the sending host must be notified to re-transmit the packet(s). Obviously, once the Tx has sent enough packets to fill the Rx buffer, it is futile to send more data until the Tx host has been notified the transmission is received, since the Rx will merely have to discard those packets.

Quote:
What, you can really tell the difference between 200 and 250 ms to load a web page?
Oh, web pages are even worse. In addition to the bandwidth limit, many web pages these days have some sort of ping-pong interaction going on. My sister-in-law has a wireless connection as her only internet access, and often her latency has gone up to absurd amounts (sometimes over 30 seconds). During these periods, file transfers are of course abysmally slow, but loading most web pages can take large fractions of an hour.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
lrhorer

Quote:
Downloading, streaming, software updates, it's great when you can pull 6MBps (megaBYTES).
"Great" is a relative term. If the cost were the same, then of course any fool would choose a 50 Mbps service over a 1.5 Mbps service. The question is, "Is it really worth the additional $600 a year or so to be able to download a handful of files at 30x the speed?" Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that decision. My provider is one who - for the moment at least - provides 24+ Mbps plus premium cable for $89.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
"Great" is a relative term. If the cost were the same, then of course any fool would choose a 50 Mbps service over a 1.5 Mbps service. The question is, "Is it really worth the additional $600 a year or so to be able to download a handful of files at 30x the speed?" Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that decision. My provider is one who - for the moment at least - provides 24+ Mbps plus premium cable for $89.
I've got a promo deal right now, but basically it's ~$50 for 20/4 or ~$60 for 50/10, so for the extra $10/mo, I'll take the speed. DSL isn't an option in most places, as they are too far from the CO. In my case, the most I could get on DSL would be 3mbps with something like 512k upload. Yeah, no thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
jcthorne

Quote:
I've got a promo deal right now, but basically it's ~$50 for 20/4 or ~$60 for 50/10, so for the extra $10/mo, I'll take the speed. DSL isn't an option in most places, as they are too far from the CO. In my case, the most I could get on DSL would be 3mbps with something like 512k upload. Yeah, no thanks.
Odd, thought they had gotten past that distance problem long ago. I am way out in the sticks and a long way from any ATT CO and get 6mbps service just fine. Uverse is not available but the DSL line is.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
Odd, thought they had gotten past that distance problem long ago. I am way out in the sticks and a long way from any ATT CO and get 6mbps service just fine. Uverse is not available but the DSL line is.
This article is about 1 year old but still shows distance being a pretty big deal:
https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/4676
In my area Frontier Communications offers 3 levels of DSL 6 Mbps -$40/mo, 12 Mbps - $50/mo, ?? Mbps - $60/mo (the speed is not specified but I believe is supposed to be 25 Mbps). Then they have packages with telephone service, the 6 Mbps can be combined with Nation wide unlimited calling for $51/mo total (plus another $10+ in taxes) which is what I have now. I have never gotten a straight answer out of them if my location would work with the higher speed offerings. I do get near the 6 Mbps sometimes but other times it really slows down to 1/2 that - just ran a test now and only got 3.53 Mbps down and 0.36 Mbps up and the test was to local Frontier servers.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
No, they didn't magically fix anything. ADSL2+ pushes it out a bit farther, but it's maybe 10-20% more, nothing radical. You are probably served by an RDSLAM, which has the same distance limitations as the CO, it's just pushed way out into the field to light up an area that can't be CO-served.

IIRC, DSL can do 6mbps less than 5kft, by the time you're at 11kft, you're looking at 1.5mbps, maybe 3mbps with ADSL2+, and once you're out around 15kft, you're at 768kbps, which is effectively irrelevant today. Meanwhile, HFC is pushing 300mbps on the entire systems, with reasonably priced packages going up to 50/10 on Comcast, with actual speeds of 62/12. ADSL2+ can also do upwards of 20mbps close in to the CO/RDSLAM, but AT&T doesn't use the higher speeds, just the enhanced range. Fairpoint has really improved their ex-Verizon systems, and they are pushing 15mbps out to customers closeish to their CO/RDSLAM.

Due to the way this country is laid out, and the speeds offered by HFC, DSL is pretty much a dead technology, although it has it's place where there's no cable or for people in town who don't want to pay more for cable internet if they don't have TV or have satellite.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #27
stahta01
Simple Member

For those who did not know what HFC means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

Tim S.