TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
az1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Connecting two Tivos via their Ethernet ports

I want to transfer shows from my Tivo HD to a Premiere. Is connecting the two via their ethernet ports going to speed up the transfers? Also it was mentioned to me that I'd need a "special" ethernet cable which is wired differently at either end in order to do so. Anyone with info on this? Thanks.
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,836
The suggestion about a "special cable" is just that you may need a crossover cable if you're hooking them only to each other directly.

If you're asking will hooking them up wired is faster than wireless, the answer is yes.

Normally folks would have other items such as a switch, hub, or router that they're hooking devices to and that's what you would hook both up to, this is no faster than hooking them up directly to each other.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
az1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
Doesn't matter, you don't need a crossover cable.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
kdmorse
Registered User
 
kdmorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Doesn't matter, you don't need a crossover cable.
Do Premiers do Auto-Crossover? (Or the HD, or both?)

I've always wondered, but never tried it...
__________________
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
"Stop slouching! It's two O'clock in the afternoon, PUT PANTS ON!"
"Statistically speaking, there are two Popes per square kilometer in Vatican City..."
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,292
Google search Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover)
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
Scandia101 has mentioned that a crossover isn't needed, so that answers that part of the question.

And the answer is that they do not "look alike" the way to ID them is by the different order of the colors in the plug, there are many reference images of how to ID one on the internet.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
az1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Doesn't matter, you don't need a crossover cable.
Acording to Tivo technical support I do...Do both the HD and premiere crossover automatically?
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan
 
Arcady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,894
Only one would need to crossover.

But I have never tried connecting two TiVos directly. Most people use a switch, hub, or router. How are they connected to the internet now? If they are on wireless, connecting ethernet between them might not work or might cause other problems, like loss of connectivity to the internet.
__________________
Roamio Pro (3TB)
Premiere Elite (2TB)
Premiere (320GB)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
Acording to Tivo technical support I do...Do both the HD and premiere crossover automatically?
Tivo tech support is wrong - yet again.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Do Premiers do Auto-Crossover? (Or the HD, or both?)

I've always wondered, but never tried it...
They are both capable of it and so is the S2 DT.
For the most part, unless a device is just plain ancient, it's capable of auto-midx.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 941
Can you just watch something on other tivo or do you have to transfer it to drive?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
csell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 200
Does this copy method (ethernet) allow you to move copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Does this copy method (ethernet) allow you to move copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another?
no
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
There are two different wiring configurations used for ethernet cables. One is 565A and the other is 565B. Standard ethernet cables use the same configuration at each end. Either configuration will work in any setup, but 565B us the most widely used. A crossover cable is configured for 565A on one end and 565B at the other. To check if you have a crossover cable, just hold the two RJ-45 plugs side-by-side and look at the color sequence of the wires. If they are in the same sequence at each end then it's a standard cable. If two of the colors are swapped, it's a crossover cable.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Can you just watch something on other tivo or do you have to transfer it to drive?
Depends.
TiVo Premieres can stream shows, so you could just watch something from the other TiVo (streaming also works with copy protected shows).

But TiVo HDs/S3s can only copy, not stream. So if either of the two TiVos is older than a Premiere you have to copy the show to it's drive, then watch it. (Although you can watch the bit that's already copied before the copy is complete). And copying does not work with copy protected shows.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
csell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 200
I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Depends.
TiVo Premieres can stream shows, so you could just watch something from the other TiVo (streaming also works with copy protected shows).

But TiVo HDs/S3s can only copy, not stream. So if either of the two TiVos is older than a Premiere you have to copy the show to it's drive, then watch it. (Although you can watch the bit that's already copied before the copy is complete). And copying does not work with copy protected shows.
Thanks. leaves me out wanted to do it between a S3 and 2DT. Would have been nice but didn't even think of it till I saw this thread.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
az1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
I agree with you 100%!
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
scole250
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
HD's can be persuaded to do that. Not if they are already recorded though. Not allowed to discuss it here though. Bite the bullet and upgrade to Premieres. You can stream copyrighted shows from one Premiere to another.
__________________
3 Premieres w/2TB each
Media server
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
I agree with you 100%!
They mostly do, and it's the Premiere line, it can do streaming between the units, not copying, so you can still watch anything on the old unit on the new one or in other rooms.

However at the root is that fact that you want to copy files that are designated "do not copy" so that one just isn't ever going to officially happen.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |