TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
az1097

Connecting two Tivos via their Ethernet ports

I want to transfer shows from my Tivo HD to a Premiere. Is connecting the two via their ethernet ports going to speed up the transfers? Also it was mentioned to me that I'd need a "special" ethernet cable which is wired differently at either end in order to do so. Anyone with info on this? Thanks.
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The suggestion about a "special cable" is just that you may need a crossover cable if you're hooking them only to each other directly.

If you're asking will hooking them up wired is faster than wireless, the answer is yes.

Normally folks would have other items such as a switch, hub, or router that they're hooking devices to and that's what you would hook both up to, this is no faster than hooking them up directly to each other.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
az1097

How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
How would you know whether the ethernet cable is a crossover or not...don't they look alike?
Doesn't matter, you don't need a crossover cable.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Do Premiers do Auto-Crossover? (Or the HD, or both?)

I've always wondered, but never tried it...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Google search Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover)
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Scandia101 has mentioned that a crossover isn't needed, so that answers that part of the question.

And the answer is that they do not "look alike" the way to ID them is by the different order of the colors in the plug, there are many reference images of how to ID one on the internet.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
az1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Acording to Tivo technical support I do...Do both the HD and premiere crossover automatically?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Only one would need to crossover.

But I have never tried connecting two TiVos directly. Most people use a switch, hub, or router. How are they connected to the internet now? If they are on wireless, connecting ethernet between them might not work or might cause other problems, like loss of connectivity to the internet.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Acording to Tivo technical support I do...Do both the HD and premiere crossover automatically?
Tivo tech support is wrong - yet again.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Do Premiers do Auto-Crossover? (Or the HD, or both?)

I've always wondered, but never tried it...
They are both capable of it and so is the S2 DT.
For the most part, unless a device is just plain ancient, it's capable of auto-midx.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
cannonz

Can you just watch something on other tivo or do you have to transfer it to drive?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
csell

Does this copy method (ethernet) allow you to move copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Does this copy method (ethernet) allow you to move copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another?
no
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
mr.unnatural

Quote:
There are two different wiring configurations used for ethernet cables. One is 565A and the other is 565B. Standard ethernet cables use the same configuration at each end. Either configuration will work in any setup, but 565B us the most widely used. A crossover cable is configured for 565A on one end and 565B at the other. To check if you have a crossover cable, just hold the two RJ-45 plugs side-by-side and look at the color sequence of the wires. If they are in the same sequence at each end then it's a standard cable. If two of the colors are swapped, it's a crossover cable.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Can you just watch something on other tivo or do you have to transfer it to drive?
Depends.
TiVo Premieres can stream shows, so you could just watch something from the other TiVo (streaming also works with copy protected shows).

But TiVo HDs/S3s can only copy, not stream. So if either of the two TiVos is older than a Premiere you have to copy the show to it's drive, then watch it. (Although you can watch the bit that's already copied before the copy is complete). And copying does not work with copy protected shows.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
csell

I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Depends.
TiVo Premieres can stream shows, so you could just watch something from the other TiVo (streaming also works with copy protected shows).

But TiVo HDs/S3s can only copy, not stream. So if either of the two TiVos is older than a Premiere you have to copy the show to it's drive, then watch it. (Although you can watch the bit that's already copied before the copy is complete). And copying does not work with copy protected shows.
Thanks. leaves me out wanted to do it between a S3 and 2DT. Would have been nice but didn't even think of it till I saw this thread.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
az1097

Quote:
I really wish they could come up with some way to allow you to transfer copyrighted shows from one Tivo to another. I have an HD and would like to upgrade to a Premium but have not for various reasons including the fact that there are lots of shows on my existing HD Tivo that I do not want to lose. They could certainly come up with a way that would allow you to transfer the copyrighted show to a new Tivo while deleting it or disabling it on the original one. Therefore you aren't making a copy - you still only have one and its being put on another one that YOU own. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this desire.
I agree with you 100%!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
scole250

Quote:
HD's can be persuaded to do that. Not if they are already recorded though. Not allowed to discuss it here though. Bite the bullet and upgrade to Premieres. You can stream copyrighted shows from one Premiere to another.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you 100%!
They mostly do, and it's the Premiere line, it can do streaming between the units, not copying, so you can still watch anything on the old unit on the new one or in other rooms.

However at the root is that fact that you want to copy files that are designated "do not copy" so that one just isn't ever going to officially happen.