TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
sharkster

I agree with the others that if 30 min isn't enough I hit 'record'.

My only complaint is that, with the last updates to my Premieres, if you are watching something semi-live and it needs the tuner to record something it kills your buffer. Before I could do this and keep my buffer as it is recording something. I'm not sure I'm making sense, but I know in my head what I'm talking about.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
chrispitude

Yes, I want a longer buffer. I have a 2TB drive; space is not a problem. If others are concerned about space, it's easy enough to add an option in Settings. You may not want it; I (and others) do. Easy enough to make everyone happy.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
Sounds like it would be easier to just get the hell out of Los Angeles. Sounds like a dangerous place.
I want LA channels just for the car chases!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Yes, I want a longer buffer. I have a 2TB drive; space is not a problem. If others are concerned about space, it's easy enough to add an option in Settings. You may not want it; I (and others) do. Easy enough to make everyone happy.
I am not a software person but the buffer may be in another part of the drive that as designed can't take advantage of your extra recording space that your 2Tb drive gives you, TiVo may have to allocate a fixed buffer space in this part of the drive, so having a user select the size would make no difference in available record time, in the old days when you had only 9 hours of record time adding another hour to the buffer may have cut the record time down by another hour, today that would make no difference but TiVo would have to design a new fixed buffer size, 60min or 90min. The buffer size can't change the total record time and must be allocated to the max buffer size, that today is about 12Gb/hour (or more). So with 4 tuners set to 90 min each, that would be 6 hours taken from the record time as now TiVo only has to give up 2 hours of record time. If TiVo goes to 6 tuners the buffer size would have to go to 9 hours (for a 90 min buffer) from 3 hours.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I am not a software person but the buffer may be in another part of the drive that as designed can't take advantage of your extra recording space that your 2Tb drive gives you, TiVo may have to allocate a fixed buffer space in this part of the drive, so having a user select the size would make no difference in available record time, in the old days when you had only 9 hours of record time adding another hour to the buffer may have cut the record time down by another hour, today that would make no difference but TiVo would have to design a new fixed buffer size, 60min or 90min. The buffer size can't change the total record time and must be allocated to the max buffer size, that today is about 12Gb/hour (or more). So with 4 tuners set to 90 min each, that would be 6 hours taken from the record time as now TiVo only has to give up 2 hours of record time. If TiVo goes to 6 tuners the buffer size would have to go to 9 hours (for a 90 min buffer) from 3 hours.
Even on MPEG-2 FIOS, that's less than 100GB. It wouldn't work well on the smaller units, but it would work fine on something like an XL4.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
actually, there is a feature with directv... but it's a pain in the @$$ to operate, so it's of little or no use.
But doesn't that also describe their equipment in general?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
lessd

Quote:
Even on MPEG-2 FIOS, that's less than 100GB. It wouldn't work well on the smaller units, but it would work fine on something like an XL4.
This could be consistency of the software or maybe TiVo will make this buffer bigger when going to 4Tb drives becomes possible. I agree with you that for the TP-4 units a 1 hour buffer would not make much difference, except TiVo does say that it is a 75 hour unit, it reads 76 hours, if you went to a 90 min buffer the record time would go to 74 hours.
We get what we get, and I can live with the 30 min. buffer if it will get me dynamic tuner allocation faster.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #39
L David Matheny

Quote:
I suspect that the live TV buffers are dynamically allocated just like regular recordings, from the same partition space, but they are automatically de-allocated from their tail ends to reclaim the disk space. A dedicated buffer area would be an awkward complication when the user decides to record the show being buffered. The TiVo would then have to copy the dedicated buffer to the main recording area instead of just updating some directory pointers.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I suspect that the live TV buffers are dynamically allocated just like regular recordings, from the same partition space, but they are automatically de-allocated from their tail ends to reclaim the disk space. A dedicated buffer area would be an awkward complication when the user decides to record the show being buffered. The TiVo would then have to copy the dedicated buffer to the main recording area instead of just updating some directory pointers.
Good point; but would that mean that if you had a full disk could the buffer delete some programs, what if you set all your programs KUD, the TiVo may not record any more programs when full but what would happen to the buffers ? If you filled the TiVo up when in standby mode when there are no buffers, take the TiVo out of standby, for say a TP-4, and 4 buffers start, so within 30 minutes you will need 2 hours of record space, what would give, the programs or the buffer size ? That why I thought the buffers were somewhere else on the drive.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #41
lpwcomp

Quote:
If you filled the TiVo up when in standby mode when there are no buffers, take the TiVo out of standby, for say a TP-4, and 4 buffers start, so within 30 minutes you will need 2 hours of record space, what would give, the programs or the buffer size ? That why I thought the buffers were somewhere else on the drive.
Why do you think there are no buffers in standby on a non-DirecTV TiVo? This has been discussed countless times over the years. All standby does is shut off the output and disable response to the EAS. It continues recording, even all of the live buffers. The only thing that will prevent recording of the live buffers is if the tuner(s) is/are set to an empty channel or all of the tuners are otherwise occupied.

As far as allocation, I suspect TiVos always have enough space allocated for each tuner to handle 30 minutes of highest resolution and lowest compression video.

Edit: Possibly twice that in case you decide to permanently record a live buffer. Otherwise, you risk not having live buffers. Then again, they could do it by not allowing you to save the live buffer unless there is sufficient space available to allocate a new one.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 04-15-2013 at 11:37 AM.
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
It would have to be a 24/7 channel then....
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #43
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by senses3 View Post
I have a new TiVo Premiere and I love most of it, but this 30 minute cache is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Every other DVR I have ever used has atleast been able to pause for 1-2 hours.

I have found a hack to change this, but it's only for earlier tivo boxes .

Anyone have any suggestions for changing this? Also, let me know what you think about this madness.
I'll take your premiere off your hands.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTv View Post
i see people talking about this alot why not just adjust from screens? works for me i chose the middle one which was 90
What the heck is this?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Let me guess, you have a Tivo provided by your cable company.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
lessd

Quote:
sorry i did middle one which was 60 i have not done 90 cause it said more space was needed still works for me
This menu item is not available on retail TiVos in the USA. If it is it has been well hidden for many years.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
lpwcomp

Quote:
mine is normal tivo not from TWC or anything like that maybe its got new software
On the "System Information" screen, what does it have for "Manufacturer Brand:", "Platform:", "Software Version:", and first 3 characters of the "TiVo Service Number:"? Also, how do you navigate to the "Saved Live TV" screen?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #48
mattack

Was that copied from some other thread? This thread doesn't have the message that was quoted from? That's not a photoshopped joke, is it??
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #49
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Was that copied from some other thread? This thread doesn't have the message that was quoted from? That's not a photoshopped joke, is it??
Nope, they were there. Looks like AsSeenOnTv deleted all of his posts in this thread. Maybe he is beta-testing something or has a seriously hacked TiVo and shouldn't have revealed anything. I suppose he could have photoshopped the screenshot but cannot imagine what his motive would be. He just joined the TCF today. The 4 posts of his in other threads that are still there are nothing like that.

Can a user even delete posts that are several hours old and have been responded to or would it require a moderator?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #50
aaronwt
HD Addict

Well if it is real and some kind of beta feature. Alot of people will be happy if/when it's implemented.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
MichaelK

I vote Beta -

which makes me 1) very excited they worked on the primary DVR features in the next release, cant wait to see what other improvements/options made it in 2) want to scream since they actually ADDED a new screen in SD- i was dreaming everything old would have been converted over to HD by now, never mind NEW stuff showing up in SD.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #52
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I vote Beta -

which makes me 1) very excited they worked on the primary DVR features in the next release, cant wait to see what other improvements/options made it in 2) want to scream since they actually ADDED a new screen in SD- i was dreaming everything old would have been converted over to HD by now, never mind NEW stuff showing up in SD.
My guess is that seldom used screens will stay in SD, most of the SD screens will be set and forget type. Like how much does one look at the SI screen, or most screens under settings.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #53
Punker1234

Anyone find any updates to this? I'd be amazed and so happy if this was indeed a future feature.
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I do not have problem with it. If I know I am going to be longer the 1/2 hr I hit record and record it.
OBVIOUSLY you press record if you want to watch something, don't rely on the stupid buffer. But if you just turn on the TV and notice something interesting, AND IT HAS ALREADY BEEN MORE THAN 30 MINUTES OF THAT PROGRAM AIRING, then you can't record it all by pressing record.

Sometimes I can search and find another airing of the program, but often I am not that lucky.

So yes, having a larger buffer is a very desirable feature. a larger buffer will take just a tiny portion of hard drive space from the main pool. With hard drives so huge, there is really no reason to NOT just bump it up to at least an hour. At the very minimum, allow the user a choice to give up those few percent of their space to a larger buffer size or not.

Somehow I missed this thread in the past- glad to see I am not the only one who is irritated by this limitation.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #55
bkoester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Not enough. To all available disk space.
I believe that's how the buffer on the ReplayTV worked.
bkoester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #56
MrJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
OBVIOUSLY you press record if you want to watch something, don't rely on the stupid buffer. But if you just turn on the TV and notice something interesting, AND IT HAS ALREADY BEEN MORE THAN 30 MINUTES OF THAT PROGRAM AIRING, then you can't record it all by pressing record.

Sometimes I can search and find another airing of the program, but often I am not that lucky.

So yes, having a larger buffer is a very desirable feature. a larger buffer will take just a tiny portion of hard drive space from the main pool. With hard drives so huge, there is really no reason to NOT just bump it up to at least an hour. At the very minimum, allow the user a choice to give up those few percent of their space to a larger buffer size or not.

Somehow I missed this thread in the past- glad to see I am not the only one who is irritated by this limitation.
My thoughts exactly on all of this, but especially the bolded part. This is the only thing I miss from my cable DVR, which had a 2 hour buffer. I would settle for a 1 hour buffer though.

Yep, just a one TV/one TiVo house. :)
MrJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #57
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoester View Post

I believe that's how the buffer on the ReplayTV worked.
Yes. The Replay would use all the available space on the hard drive for the buffer.

The 30 minute buffer rarely bothers me on the TiVo, but it does seem rather arbitrary. I say give the user the choice.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #58
celtic pride

YES ! it woud be nice to have the 3 options ,I would go for the 90 minute option,but it would also be nice to go down to a 60 or even 30 minute IF you really thought you needed the space.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
zarthon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

I agree. But the 30 min pause limit is not the worst of it.

What happens to me is that I'll paused it for 10 or 20 minutes and the program ends and I come back and think ... oh i want to record the end to watch later. So I hit Record. Blamo! It dumps the end of the movie or program I've there watching for even an hour or more and starts recording the next show or worse yet an infomercial ! Silly! ! I can't believe it still does this in gen 4 !
I think though that we need to take this apart. Does the buffer really need to be longer to make it behave? We are really talking about two things. There is the buffer length but also the behavior of breaking out of pause when the end is reached.

It's not the length that is obnoxious, it's the behavior.

If 'live tv' is paused, automatic recording should be triggered just before pausing for 30 minutes, overrunning the buffer, or just before the program ends which ever comes first. You should always come back to the TiVo paused where you left it. This could be called "Intelligent pause".

What about scheduling conflicts while you are away? Obviously it should ask then default to pre-recording.
It would be nice to deal with it intelligently based on when and if the two or three shows replay and viewing habits. If you usually watch a program that's going to be recorded after a repeat broadcast then it should probably just fail over to that, but given that it does not seem to do this in other situations its really another feature rather than a detail of this one.
zarthon is offline   Reply With Quote