I have two Tivo Premiere 4's I've been using for about 2 months now. Prior to that I was using DirecTV with the whole home DVR. The wife hated all the cables DirecTV had strung across the center of the house when we bought it so we talked with Comcast and decided to switch over since we were using their internet already. Comcast was able to setup everything using the cabling internal to the house and I was able to rip down all the ugly DirecTV cables and dish.
Anyways one of our big reasons for buying the Tivo instead of using the Comcast DVRs was because we saw Netflix was integrated with the unit and that is one of our primary TV watching activities. I've been using Netflix on a Playstation 3 downstairs and a Bluray player upstairs both running off of a wireless. Switching to the Tivo was supposed to eliminate having to fumble with one remote to switch the TV input and another to run the Netflix app. At first I was running both the Tivo's by using a wireless access point from an Apple Airport Express unit that extends the wireless network and gives 2 hardwired outputs. When I ran into problems I reserved judgement until I could run hard wired ethernet to both those rooms. I spent a fair bit of money and time running the hard wires but just got it all setup this weekend and to my disappointment it didn't solve any of the issues.
My primary problem:
1) When Netflix finishes playing an episode and its supposed to goto the screen to offer you the next episode there is an 80% chance it will get stuck with the moving progress squares. I've waited over 15 minutes and it will never return when it gets to that state. I can back up and come back into the series but it does not recognize that I've already watched the episode I just finished so it will start playing the wrong one if I hit enter. So I have to navigate into More Episodes and scroll down to the next one. If I completely exit Netflix and come back in everything is fixed but this is really annoying considering Netflix takes 1 to 2 minutes to startup. It worked just fine on every other platform even when those were running wireless and I've got a 50MB blast package from Comcast.
2) When playing shows on Netflix usually at the start but sometimes in between it looks really blocky kinda like JPEG artifacts. I would rather it stop and buffer the show than to give me a degraded picture. The playstation and bluray doesn't do this.
3) Trying to pause a movie or show in Netflix takes several seconds...it makes me keep thinking I haven't pressed the button or didn't point the remote exactly right. Unpause seems slightly faster. Pause should be local and instantaneous since it should be pausing a local buffer.
4) Playing a show from the Tivo in another room was pretty much unusable. With the DirecTV DVR's it was so seamless you almost didn't know which DVR was playing the show. On the Tivo if I don't transfer the show it freezes every 3-5 seconds. I was hoping I could just hit pause and let it buffer but it doesn't seem to buffer anything because pausing doesn't help the problem.
5) I initially started with the monthly payments to make sure I was going to stay with this service. I notice now that I'm not allowed to upgrade to making a lifetime payment until after I've made a full year of payments. So that basically adds over $150 to the cost of lifetime if you don't buy it on day 1. If I had known that I would have paid the extra 5 bucks a month until I knew I was going to keep it. I guess now I've got 10 months to decide if I want to dump it when the contract is up and chalk up the cost of the units as a loss.
Overally its been a disappointing experience. I hope some of these items will be improved.