TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Gilrock

Problems with Netflix and other items

I have two Tivo Premiere 4's I've been using for about 2 months now. Prior to that I was using DirecTV with the whole home DVR. The wife hated all the cables DirecTV had strung across the center of the house when we bought it so we talked with Comcast and decided to switch over since we were using their internet already. Comcast was able to setup everything using the cabling internal to the house and I was able to rip down all the ugly DirecTV cables and dish.

Anyways one of our big reasons for buying the Tivo instead of using the Comcast DVRs was because we saw Netflix was integrated with the unit and that is one of our primary TV watching activities. I've been using Netflix on a Playstation 3 downstairs and a Bluray player upstairs both running off of a wireless. Switching to the Tivo was supposed to eliminate having to fumble with one remote to switch the TV input and another to run the Netflix app. At first I was running both the Tivo's by using a wireless access point from an Apple Airport Express unit that extends the wireless network and gives 2 hardwired outputs. When I ran into problems I reserved judgement until I could run hard wired ethernet to both those rooms. I spent a fair bit of money and time running the hard wires but just got it all setup this weekend and to my disappointment it didn't solve any of the issues.

My primary problem:
1) When Netflix finishes playing an episode and its supposed to goto the screen to offer you the next episode there is an 80% chance it will get stuck with the moving progress squares. I've waited over 15 minutes and it will never return when it gets to that state. I can back up and come back into the series but it does not recognize that I've already watched the episode I just finished so it will start playing the wrong one if I hit enter. So I have to navigate into More Episodes and scroll down to the next one. If I completely exit Netflix and come back in everything is fixed but this is really annoying considering Netflix takes 1 to 2 minutes to startup. It worked just fine on every other platform even when those were running wireless and I've got a 50MB blast package from Comcast.

2) When playing shows on Netflix usually at the start but sometimes in between it looks really blocky kinda like JPEG artifacts. I would rather it stop and buffer the show than to give me a degraded picture. The playstation and bluray doesn't do this.

3) Trying to pause a movie or show in Netflix takes several seconds...it makes me keep thinking I haven't pressed the button or didn't point the remote exactly right. Unpause seems slightly faster. Pause should be local and instantaneous since it should be pausing a local buffer.

4) Playing a show from the Tivo in another room was pretty much unusable. With the DirecTV DVR's it was so seamless you almost didn't know which DVR was playing the show. On the Tivo if I don't transfer the show it freezes every 3-5 seconds. I was hoping I could just hit pause and let it buffer but it doesn't seem to buffer anything because pausing doesn't help the problem.

5) I initially started with the monthly payments to make sure I was going to stay with this service. I notice now that I'm not allowed to upgrade to making a lifetime payment until after I've made a full year of payments. So that basically adds over $150 to the cost of lifetime if you don't buy it on day 1. If I had known that I would have paid the extra 5 bucks a month until I knew I was going to keep it. I guess now I've got 10 months to decide if I want to dump it when the contract is up and chalk up the cost of the units as a loss.

Overally its been a disappointing experience. I hope some of these items will be improved.

Gil
Gilrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Seems that your network may be a bit slow or require some tweaking/optimization. While netflix has some inherent remote delays delays by the way they (netflix) built the app (you do get used to the pause delay), you should not have any slow downs after the content gets to speed, and you should not have any delays by using MRS (as opposed to MRV, there is an important difference).
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Gilrock

When I can plug the exact same network cable into a Bluray player and have it run Netflix just fine how can you blame the network? I have no idea what you mean by MRS. I'm not running the garbage modem Comcast gave me. I upgraded it to a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580. I'm hardwired directly into an output on the main router. Give an example of a tweak or an optimization that might help.

Gil
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Tivo wants a very clean network. Just the way it is.

MRS is streaming, which should be seamless with ffd, rrd, and works with copy protected content. Only premieres can do this.

MRV is transferring, where the show actually is copied to the other tivo. This is limited by copy protection. All newer tivos can do this.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
compnurd

Netflix works differntly on the Tivo since it can only pass through 1080P... Unlike your blu ray or PS3 which can convert material to it.

If you dont like the ramp up in res.. you are better to stick with the PS 3
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

As mentioned, All Tivos ramp up in quality. The first 10-15 secs are always blocky.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Gilrock

Ok I made the final cables I needed to hardwire the Tivo in the living room so #4 is solved...the streaming of a show between units is fine. I can deal with the ramp up in resolution. Like I said my #1 problem is the Netflix application has a bug that breaks the transition between episodes. I watched it happen two more times last night. I've tried letting the show end on it's own and it also does it when I hit up to exit an episode a few seconds early. It goes back to the episode selection screen which should forward you to the next episode in the series but it just sits there thinking forever. If you back out to the main Netflix titles screen and select the same show and then more episodes there is a chance it will show you all the episodes allowing you to manually select the next one in the series but that doesn't always works. Most of the time you end up with the screen that should show all the episodes for the season just sitting there with the progress bar animation. It seems like I have to force it to go into a different series and then back out and select the first series I was in to get it to show me the episodes. I can't believe there aren't more people complaining about this because it really sucks. I guess most folks aren't used to how Netflix is supposed to work.

Gil
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

This next episode issue is a problem with the netflix app, and not Tivo. I'd say 90% of the time this works as it should, for me. Just not always.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Gilrock

With all due respect...I'm really not interested in what is working for other users. I'm posting this for Tivo rep's to get a clue that something needs to be fixed. I'm an embedded software developer and I don't put up with this kind of behavior with any product I'm associated with. I'm into making things run fast and efficient so I can't stand it when I see poor engineering and buggy software apps.

This is a Tivo problem...don't blame it on the application like that has nothing to do with Tivo. Somehow the Netflix application got deployed on every other piece of hardware I've been able to use and works just fine. Tivo and Netflix needs to get together and fix this junk...I don't care who is responsible but I do know I'm giving Tivo a bad name to anyone I personally speak to right now. If I can't run Netflix on the Tivo I have no use for the Tivo.

Gil
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

This is not a tivo site- you may want to reach out to them directly if you want their attention. We are just folks who like tivo and help those who ask.

Do you call apple if you have a problem with angry birds or Pandora? Tivo does not write the third party apps.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Gilrock

The difference is Tivo is advertising Netflix as a built-in feature and if it was running on Apple hardware there would never be a problem to call about...lol. But you're right I will take this directly to them. I called already and got a case opened. I was pleased with the phone call because he spent quite a bit of time asking questions and trying to help. And he didn't immediately say it was a problem that Netflix needed to deal with. So I've got a couple things to try first before they escalate it.

Gil
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Gilrock

There was once thing I found out on the phone that pisses me off. Out of curiousity I wanted to know what it would cost if I decided to cancel. He tells me its prorated but then gave me a number that was higher than the cost of not cancelling. I thought I was doing something wrong with the math in my head but after getting off the phone and thinking about it and seeing it confirmed with a couple searches. He was telling me it costs $22 a month to cancel...but it's only $14.99 a month to not cancel. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. People would just choose to not cancel until the contract was up. They must use the extra $7 a month to pay a bunch of you diehard tivo lovers to troll the forums....lol.

Gil