TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
dbranco

Shark Tank - 3/29/13

Really enjoyed Shark Tank this week. I WANT ONE OF THOSE Stop Drop thingies, and was surprised at Robert and Damon's reactions saying that they couldn't see the need for one. Was glad that they got a deal.

And wow, that young girl was impressive! By far one of the best presenters ever on this show!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

www.buydropstop.com

I'm surprised that nobody suggested taking it to the car manufacturers - seems like a logical strategy. I'd have to go back and watch what Damon had to say about it. I remember Robert saying that he'd never had something fall down that crack, which is unbelievable! I drop stuff down there weekly & yes, the girl's presentation was great. I'm glad she got funded.

ETA: Damon said that he didn't ''believe in the product'', despite the obvious need (based on current sales).

Last edited by mcb08 : 03-31-2013 at 02:42 PM.
mcb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Hank
AC•FTW

They didn't talk about who funded the Bed Bug deal -- or did nobody fund it and they're uber-successful anyway? Is this the first time they featured a company that grew as a result of NOT getting a deal from the sharks?

The Drop Stop is a great idea -- glad they got a deal with Laurie.

The Lion Fish thing -- wow, what a non-starter in the first place. Even if I loved fish, I'd never eat something that looked like that cooke on a plate.

eta: Just bought 1 pair of Drop Stops.

Last edited by Hank : 03-31-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
They didn't talk about who funded the Bed Bug deal -- or did nobody fund it and they're uber-successful anyway? Is this the first time they featured a company that grew as a result of NOT getting a deal from the sharks?

The Lion Fish thing -- wow, what a non-starter in the first place. Even if I loved fish, I'd never eat something that looked like that cooke on a plate.

They have definitely featured other companies who didn't get a deal before. They do well because of the free advertisement from the show.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
They have definitely featured other companies who didn't get a deal before. They do well because of the advertisement they get for giving up equity in their company just to be on the show.
FYP
Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Grasshopper AZ

Quote:

I thought that was the one that all five sharks invested in? Maybe I am thinking of something else.
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper AZ View Post
I thought that was the one that all five sharks invested in? Maybe I am thinking of something else.
Yep, all five were in on that one.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper AZ View Post
Yes, they made a deal with all 5 sharks.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Hank
AC•FTW

You think they'd mention that during the Update piece!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Ment

Cuban was smart to invest in Simple Sugar, that girl is going places even if that particular product doesn't make loads of money.

I lol on the girls presentation followed by the gift wrap guy. Dude should never be the face of his product.

Love trying new food so if ever I see Lionfish on the menu its on my plate.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
You think they'd mention that during the Update piece!
They did.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
dbranco

Quote:
Me, too! (Free Shipping - "Shark Tank" special)
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
ElJay

I am constantly losing change through that crack between the seat and the armrest, but I strongly disagree with Drop Stop's assertion that a black-colored "weeny" in the crack will be "almost invisible" in my beige interior car with a beige carpet. I guess I'll just have to keep bending over and fishing around to retrieve my change. I keep waiting for something very important like a penny to jam up the track that the seat moves back and forth on.

The shrink wrap gift wrap idea seemed decent until I realized that I'd have to have a dozen different-sized "bags" on hand to cover the various different types of crap I end up wrapping. I would not be surprised to learn that this is one of those deals what unraveled behind the scenes.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
pmyers

That young lady was amazing. I'd invest purely based on her.

I knew that Cuban would invest as he almost always done when it's something his kids can use.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
They did.
Yeah, I missed it the first time.. it was just a quick quip at the start. Usually they show the sharks involved somehow with the business.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
The shrink wrap gift wrap idea seemed decent until I realized that I'd have to have a dozen different-sized "bags" on hand to cover the various different types of crap I end up wrapping.
Why don't they just invent colored/opaque/designed Saran-style gift wrap?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
pmyers

Quote:
Why don't they just invent colored/opaque/designed Saran-style gift wrap?
I must have missed the bag thing because that's what I thought it was.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I must have missed the bag thing because that's what I thought it was.
The stuff on the show was a plastic bag that you put the gift in, then used a hair-dryer to 'shrink-wrap' the gift. My idea is just a roll of coloed plastic wrap you can wrap around the gift "pre-shrunk".
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
pmyers

Quote:
The stuff on the show was a plastic bag that you put the gift in, then used a hair-dryer to 'shrink-wrap' the gift. My idea is just a roll of coloed plastic wrap you can wrap around the gift "pre-shrunk".
I'm pretty sure they already sell sheets of colored plastic wrap. I've seen them mainly for making gift baskets. They are opaque so you can see the contents of the basket.

I just missed the part about them being bags.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Though the *top* seemed to just tape over, instead of shrinking/mel[dt]ing into one thing.

I thought the lion fish thing was VERY fascinating. If they could really make it economically feasible (to consumers), great.

The Simple Sugar thing -- even though IIRC they brought up the "you can't make medical claims" thing a zillion times, Cuban seemed to still fall for it being better??!?!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though the *top* seemed to just tape over, instead of shrinking/mel[dt]ing into one thing.

I thought the lion fish thing was VERY fascinating. If they could really make it economically feasible (to consumers), great.

The Simple Sugar thing -- even though IIRC they brought up the "you can't make medical claims" thing a zillion times, Cuban seemed to still fall for it being better??!?!
Just because no medical claim could be made for the product doesn't mean that it won't work. Her dermatologist uses it - that's a pretty good testimonial.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I think Cuban was more interested in her and not her product.

I was sad that Lori didn't take her on as a mentor.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
newsposter
Poster of News

why did they harp on the guy about a 10 yr old product that still had a lot of good practical use? they really were annoying regarding that point. and lets face it this is just their lunch budgets they are risking anyway. while the guy was a bad speaker, you can hire who you need as long as you have a great product and he did

so mark invested in how many things? he seems to be doing a lot lately,

is there a tally somewhere how many times someone invests?

maybe the reason rob couldnt use the stop drop is because he doesnt drive himself or maybe he just devotes himself to driving and nothing else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
why did they harp on the guy about a 10 yr old product that still had a lot of good practical use? they really were annoying regarding that point. and lets face it this is just their lunch budgets they are risking anyway. while the guy was a bad speaker, you can hire who you need as long as you have a great product and he did
Totally agree. They like to think they know what's best. So what if the business fell apart because of bad partners in the past. It's a good product!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Totally agree. They like to think they know what's best. So what if the business fell apart because of bad partners in the past. It's a good product!
to me it's entirely impractical because the heat shrink material will only shrink so much, and the bags will only fit certain sized packages. You could even see on the box he did that there were lots of ripples. While it may accommodate most things, it won't be a panacea - and consumers won't like that.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

Yes, but for common gifts like books or wine, I think it's a nice solution along with regular gift wrap. If I could choose one over the other for any particular gift, I'd choose the shrink-wrap one if it fits. Ripples? Are you kidding, like regular gift wrap doesn't have folds, wrinkles, tape, etc? BFD, it's GIFT WRAP, not Martha Stewart.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Yes, but for common gifts like books or wine, I think it's a nice solution along with regular gift wrap. If I could choose one over the other for any particular gift, I'd choose the shrink-wrap one if it fits. Ripples? Are you kidding, like regular gift wrap doesn't have folds, wrinkles, tape, etc? BFD, it's GIFT WRAP, not Martha Stewart.
you seriously underestimate peoples expectations for gift wrap. there are TONS of people who spend a lot of time and money wrapping gifts.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW

And just as many people who don't care and want an easy solution.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
newsposter
Poster of News

gift bag

problem solved

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Occam's Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
to me it's entirely impractical because the heat shrink material will only shrink so much, and the bags will only fit certain sized packages. You could even see on the box he did that there were lots of ripples. While it may accommodate most things, it won't be a panacea - and consumers won't like that.
you would be surprised at how much the plastic shrinks if it's like the shrink wrap we used to use in our store.

The ones he did on the show were not done that well, I guess in the interests of time.
Occam's Razor is offline   Reply With Quote