TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
beryrinaldo

TiVo Support moved to 3rd party?

The past three days, I have submitted three support requests with TiVo - starting with the removal of the Video Podcast Download capability and the crippling of the Download Manager. I have submitted tickets in the past with TiVo and used to login, then submit the ticket and see the list of past tickets and get acknowledgement e-mails within 24 hours. I didn't always get the answer I wanted, but at least I knew some human acknowledged the issue. These past three nights, I have logged in as before, but when I click on the Contact Us button, I get sent to a third party web site: tivoproduction.force.com/Support/apex/CreateCaseFromSupport -- which might be OK, but so far, I am less than impressed. This domain (force.com) is registered to Salesforce - a third party. There is no continuity between tivo.com and force.com. I now have to fill in a form with my name, e-mail, phone number, TSN, then fill in the text box with details. I have to go back to tivo.com to look up my TSN, then back to the form to fill it in. OK, so that's not too painful... but then I fill in the form and get an automated e-mail, but no response from a human. I don't have a tracking number, I have no way to refer to this ticket. I cannot understand why they have changed this, but I do not find this to be an improvement. Has anyone heard from a human at TiVo support in the past three days?

beryrinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
replaytv
gun talk ignore list

I was thinking of entering a ticket, but think I will wait to see if their new system is working correctly.

replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
realityboy

Maybe that explains what happened to my ticket. I submitted it on 4/1, and there's been no response (other than the automated one). The website shows it as in progress, but if I click on it, I get case number not found.

realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryrinaldo View Post
I cannot understand why they have changed this, but I do not find this to be an improvement. Has anyone heard from a human at TiVo support in the past three days?
Support is a money pit and doesn't add to the bottom line, many companies have learned this and they cut the costs there to the bone, it wouldn't surprise me if Tivo has done the same.

While you can say "but it matters to ME!" in the big picture it rarely does, consumers are a group based almost purely on cost of product not quality despite their insistence they aren't.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
rahnbo

I've always called during business hours and tend to get good reps. E-mail is almost always fruitless with Tivo. Phone service could have changed too. I wish they'd just fix their web site.

rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Support is a money pit and doesn't add to the bottom line, many companies have learned this and they cut the costs there to the bone, it wouldn't surprise me if Tivo has done the same.

While you can say "but it matters to ME!" in the big picture it rarely does, consumers are a group based almost purely on cost of product not quality despite their insistence they aren't.
Except (at least) when the product initially doesn't function as it should, or the consumer can't figure it out, and the consumer will return the item absent support. Facing that right now with a new scanner that won't function as it should, support telling me that the initial setup files, from the company's own CD that came with the scanner, may have been corrupted, and to remove the initial setup files, using the company's removal tools (then provided to me), and then to try using downloads from the company's website--absent that support, the scanner would have been returned as unusable.

Also, isn't support and quality part of the reason why some users are content enough to pay Apple's prices?

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
..... consumers are a group based almost purely on cost of product not quality despite their insistence they aren't.
This

Reminds me of Jack Nicholson's line in "A Few Good Men":

"You can't handle the truth!"

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Except (at least) when the product initially doesn't function as it should, or the consumer can't figure it out, and the consumer will return the item absent support.
In the big picture that customer returning the product is a minimal loss and worth it since it's less than the cost of providing stronger/better support. I'm being serious here, the cost of support is such a money suck that unless your product needs constant hand holding you're better off just letting them figure it out and Google a solution, even if they lose the sale they're ahead because the odds are low you'll return it, most people just toss it in the basement or garbage.

Quote:
Also, isn't support and quality part of the reason why some users are content enough to pay Apple's prices?
Apple is a unique in so many ways that you can't assign any standard business practices to them anymore, that's not a bad thing, but it means you can't compare to them anymore.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Mikeguy

Yeah, I don't know that I can agree. Based on all the "please call us if you need setup help, please do not return this item" flyers I find in new tech. packaging, I think that at least some manufacturers would prefer that the customer call for support. A lost sale is exactly that--and I venture to guess that the majority of people indeed will return the new scanner that won't work out-of-the box, rather than eating the $100 loss.

And certainly, Apple is different--but it got that way somehow. And from what I can tell when I pass by an Apple store or call support myself, customer service seems to be part of the explanation.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
werk

Force.com is just a platform for businesses to build salesforce integrated apps. It doesn't necessarily mean that tivos support has been outsourced. It's like if you go to another company's support page and get directed to zendesk for ticket management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Salesforce is one of the largest, if not the largest, CRM software company in the world. Tivo probably just moved their installation to SF's cloud, so they don't have to run their own infrastructure, which is popular these days, if not always successful when it comes to actually lowering costs.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
choco

As of 3-4 weeks ago, Tivo phone tech support was based out of Colorado. I was in the process of ordering a new unit and then later exchanging it because of a problem. I spoke to a number of tech support reps and asked one of them about their operations. I was wondering why CO and not the bay area where headquarters was. He told me they wanted a more central time zone to have better hours for east coast support. He said there were around 50 tech support agents who worked there for varying lengths of time, and they worked solely for Tivo. He had been there for over a year, was knowledgeable, and all the info he gave me was correct. Others weren't as good and told me things that turned out not to be true (One said my replacement unit would be shipped 2nd day air, but it wasn't. Another said I would have to activate service on my replacement unit after receiving it, but I didn't have to since it was already transferred from my old unit.)

I don't know if online tech support is also handled by the same CO group, but I thought I'd share my anecdote.

choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Jed1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salesforce.com

RUH ROH!
One of the early investors is Nancy Pelosi. Queue up the right wing tin foil hat brigade chanting "I want my TiVo back!"

I also had a support ticket opened asking about why I did not get Yahoo Screen. That was a week ago and I never heard from them. I also get the case not found when I click on my support tickets. I also have a TiVo with a loud fan that may have to be replaced. That is still an open ticket.
I also contacted Margret the other day about Yahoo Screen but I never heard from her either. In fact she has not visited this forum since the 25th of March.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by choco View Post
He told me they wanted a more central time zone to have better hours for east coast support.
And my guess is, a presumed lower cost of a support staff there than in the middle of Silicon Valley doesn't hurt, either.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #15
beryrinaldo

I can understand having a call center in Colorado, time zone closer to the east coast and probably lower costs. I can also understand what werk said about force.com just being a platform for things like ticket management, etc. And perhaps TiVo support is completely in-house still. What I don't understand is that the page I used to get to had all the tickets I had ever submitted and I could reply to those tickets right on the page. Even if they've moved to a new support platform, I think that there should be some continuity between when I log in to support at tivo.com to when I click that "Contact Support" which takes me off to tivoproduction.force.com.

Since Sunday night, I have submitted three things to customer support and have received nothing except automated replies. I have no ticket numbers, and no way to see the tickets on their web site (tivoproduction.force.com, that is). I don't usually have time to call or chat with them during their hours, so submitting tickets is generally the way I contact them. It's worked well in the past, so hopefully these are just bumps in the road as TiVo moves to a new ticketing platform.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #16
rahnbo

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know that I can agree. Based on all the "please call us if you need setup help, please do not return this item" flyers I find in new tech. packaging, I think that at least some manufacturers would prefer that the customer call for support. A lost sale is exactly that--and I venture to guess that the majority of people indeed will return the new scanner that won't work out-of-the box, rather than eating the $100 loss.

And certainly, Apple is different--but it got that way somehow. And from what I can tell when I pass by an Apple store or call support myself, customer service seems to be part of the explanation.
Apple is different because they are marketing geniuses and have successfully ripped off every recent popular piece of consumer tech and pretended to have invented it themselves. Oh, that and and a nice tall pretty walled garden. So that and perhaps nice tech support people = Apple's success. They didn't get to where they are because of good support.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:37 PM   #17
CybrFyre

3 days now on my support req

CybrFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Jed1

I did a trace route of tivoproduction.force.com and got an IP address of 23.15.9.136. I looked up the IP address and it belongs to Akamai Technologies in Cambridge Massachusetts.
http://23.15.9.136.ipaddress.com/

If I look up the IP address directly then I get this:
http://tivoproduction.force.com.ipaddress.com/

Last edited by Jed1; 04-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I did a trace route of tivoproduction.force.com and got an IP address of 23.15.9.136. I looked up the IP address and it belongs to Akamai Technologies in Cambridge Massachusetts.
http://23.15.9.136.ipaddress.com/

If I look up the IP address directly then I get this:
http://tivoproduction.force.com.ipaddress.com/
They're just using Akamai services for their pipe, probably the edge services division, that's what Akamai does for companies.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #20
Worf

Well, it's hosted by salesforce.com so it's not unusual that they use Akaami.

You aren't going to get much information as SalesForce.com is used by lots of companies for CRM.

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 AM   #21
beryrinaldo

Finally got a response from a human

Finally got a response from a human which said I could find my tickets, and I finally did, but it isn't without some confusion...

There are two things labelled "My Support" that I find when navigating the TiVo site (and the Salesforce site which is linked to). The first is from the pull-down menu at the top of the page. I choose SUPPORT--MY SUPPORT under Contact Us and it take me to https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/login/show.do# -- on that page, I find a "My Support" link on the left side of the page which takes me to https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/mysupport.do -- there is where I can see my tickets (even older ones submitted before the addition of Salesforce stuff). However, if I first go to SUPPORT--CONTACT SUPPORT it sends me to http://tivoproduction.force.com/Supp...pportHomePage1 I see a link on the left of the page labelled "My support" (note case) which takes me to https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/login/show.do# -- there I do not see the tickets. I find this inconsistent.

But at least I got a response from a human.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #22
rahnbo

Quote:
They're just using Akamai services for their pipe, probably the edge services division, that's what Akamai does for companies.
Yea Akamai is HUGE. Block them from your router and good luck browsing the internet.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Yea Akamai is HUGE. Block them from your router and good luck browsing the internet.
In Soviet Cyberspace, Internet browses you.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 AM   #24
Worf

Try blocking google-analytics.com - same effect. Enough so that a lot of websites break because they forward all links to g-a who then forwards you back to the right page.

It's actually so bad that "no script" utilities like NoScript have to emulate Google Analytics in order to not break the web horribly.

Google and Akamai really are too big to fail.

Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #25
12ay7

Quote:
\Also, isn't support and quality part of the reason why some users are content enough to pay Apple's prices?
That's why I pay them. I have Windows on my Mac Pro for doing QA on my web work, but otherwise, Windows, Android and so forth, are not even a part of my life.

12ay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #26
12ay7

Quote:
Apple is a unique in so many ways that you can't assign any standard business practices to them anymore, that's not a bad thing, but it means you can't compare to them anymore.
I think you can. Apple offers superior products, at a premium price, and I think you can easily compare them to ANY tech company. Apple does most things right. Most other companies do most things wrong.

12ay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #27
Jed1

I managed to avoid any nasty cold or flu bug all winter but fell victim on the Monday after Easter.
With the problems I am having with my support ticket not being answered and the rumor that support was moved to Colorado, I had a feverish night mare on Thursday that had me on the phone with Jeff Spicoli, who was TiVo Support. He kept saying everything was gnarly and kept hitting his head with his shoe and saying "that was my skull, I am so wasted. In the background it sounded like everybody was taking hits from a bong.
I woke up soaking wet from sweating and a feeling of relief that this was not real, at least I hope so. It is amazing what your mind comes up with as I guess that pot is legal in Colorado, my mind put that all together in my TiVo support nightmare.
I hope TiVo support doesn't get his bad.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #28
dlfl
Cranky old novice

That does it .... ignoring this thread!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #29
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
That does it .... ignoring this thread!
https://youtu.be/RzLBSFI1PvA

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #30
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
In Soviet Cyberspace, Internet browses you.

I know that line, but I can't remember what it's paraphrased from.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote