TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
tiams

The Americans S1E6 Trust Me OAD 3/6/13

Stan is the man. Loved how he set up the Rezident.

Looks like their spy genes have been passed on to Jr. He had good instincts and reacted viciously. (As viciously as a little kid could)

Took me a while to figure out who it was interrogating them. I knew it couldn't be U.S. but I was surprised when Granny walked out of the shadows.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I knew from the jump it was the Russians. But don't eff with Felicity, and (implicitly) threaten her kids. She beat the living poop out of Granny. That has to come back and bite her though. I don't care how valuable she may be, an ass-kicking like that is grudgeworthy.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
tgmii

I don't remember people saying "It's chill" in the 80s. (Hitchhiker guy)

I should have figured it was Russians, otherwise the series was over.

Tom
tgmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmii View Post
I should have figured it was Russians, otherwise the series was over.
I was 90% sure it was the Russians for that very reason.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I was 90% sure it was the Russians for that very reason.
I thought it was going to be some third group (not F.B.I. and not Russia) but I didn't know who. Maybe NSA. Also the pictures of the kids on the walls threw me and had a sicko serial killer vibe.
I like that something I was not expecting happened. Mean Granny!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I figured it was the Russians from the get go. My thought was this is part of their training to make sure they are loyal. They can then tell if they would crack under pressure. Then I was wondering how they would explain the bruises to the kids and boom, they wreck the car on purpose. Well thought out and written. I really like this show.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I don't remember people saying "It's chill" in the 80s. (Hitchhiker guy)...
My thoughts too. I never heard phrase that used in the 80s...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
fmowry

This has become my favorite show. I was surprised the Rezident didn't sell her out when he was being taken out of the building.

Of course everyone knew it was the Russians but I didn't see the older lady and her ass whuppin happening.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I thought it was going to be some third group (not F.B.I. and not Russia) but I didn't know who. Maybe NSA. Also the pictures of the kids on the walls threw me and had a sicko serial killer vibe.
I like that something I was not expecting happened. Mean Granny!
The pictures of the kids are what convinced me I was correct that it was the Russians.

Nobody else would have sat on them for the length of time it'd take to amass that photo collection. At least not without also bugging them, and they've been incautious enough about what they said around the house to have been picked up already if they were bugged.

Now there was a minute when I wondered if the creepy guy who picked up the kids a lift might be another KGB asset; but I guess not.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Anyone else looking forward to Dad eventually finding out about hitchhiker guy and planting a BBQ fork in his junk?

(now there's a question I never thought I'd type)

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
kilcher

Quote:
Took me a while to figure out who it was interrogating them. I knew it couldn't be U.S. but I was surprised when Granny walked out of the shadows.
I picked up on that pretty quick. No one else had access to any of that information. And I knew it wasn't the US government so that really only left the Russians. And I knew this episode was going to be focused on outing the mole.

I was pretty surprised with the planted diamonds and setup though. I thought he was going to give them to the woman to kind of buy her off and keep her spying.

This is such a good show. I'm so glad it got renewed for a second season. I have no idea what the ratings are but it seems this show gets very little attention online and from people I know IRL.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
don't eff with Felicity

you can say that again

she is hard core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
I don't remember people saying "It's chill" in the 80s. (Hitchhiker guy)
Yep, that rang in my ear as well.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
... I was surprised the Rezident didn't sell her out when he was being taken out of the building....
"Sell her out..."? For what? Giving him BJs? He doesn't know that she's a spy....
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
"Sell her out..."? For what? Giving him BJs? He doesn't know that she's a spy....
He knows it was her that set him up by hiding the camera and therefore she must be the real mole. When the camera was found in his office he suddenly realized that a beautiful woman like Nina wasn't sleeping with him because he was such a catch.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
marksman
ID-10-T

I must have missed that realization on his part.

I do really enjoy the show... Good stuff.... It all brings back to me how real a threat the cold war was, for both sides. I am not even sure younger people who did not live through it could understand how it was this constant state of existence that tinged everything with a bit of fear.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
He knows it was her that set him up by hiding the camera and therefore she must be the real mole. When the camera was found in his office he suddenly realized that a beautiful woman like Nina wasn't sleeping with him because he was such a catch.
How do you figure? That's pure speculation on your part.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I agree. I think as far as the Ruskies are concerned, they got their mole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
hummingbird_206

I am so loving this show.

I hate that Phillip and Felicity (what is her name on this show?) are fighting with each other. Don't mind so much them fighting other people though.

Damn, Henry swings a mean beer bottle!
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #20
fmowry

Quote:
Of course it's speculation. But he even said, "I have been set up.". Who else would it be?

Even during their pillow talk he mentioned the mole and how the mole would be dealt with. If he can't connect the dots when he's getting hauled away then he isn't that bright.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #21
loganasu
I'm a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Felicity (what is her name on this show?)
Elizabeth
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Of course it's speculation. But he even said, "I have been set up.". Who else would it be?

Even during their pillow talk he mentioned the mole and how the mole would be dealt with. If he can't connect the dots when he's getting hauled away then he isn't that bright.
Of course he said he'd been set up. He knows he did not do the acts he's is accused of, and he knows somebody planted evidence.

But I do not think he suspects the woman. How would she have he means to plant diamonds in the tea?

He could just as easily suspect the Soviet who's running the embassy investigation---those two have clashed before. Paranoia is a way of life in that career, so the doomed Rezident might guess his embassy rival set him up to climb further up the KGB hierarchy.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Of course he said he'd been set up. He knows he did not do the acts he's is accused of, and he knows somebody planted evidence.

But I do not think he suspects the woman. How would she have he means to plant diamonds in the tea?

He could just as easily suspect the Soviet who's running the embassy investigation---those two have clashed before. Paranoia is a way of life in that career, so the doomed Rezident might guess his embassy rival set him up to climb further up the KGB hierarchy.
And he is with a new girl who is way out of his league who decides to start servicing him every way possible right before this all goes down.

OK, you believe what you want.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
And he is with a new girl who is way out of his league who decides to start servicing him every way possible right before this all goes down.
He makes a good point, though...she could not have planted the diamonds. At the very least, that complicates things in terms of trying to figure out who's framing him.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #25
tiams

Quote:
I say the Rezident knows it was Nina that set him up because she had access to his office and he knows she was too hot to be having sex with him for any other reason. You can disagree of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I agree. I think as far as the Ruskies are concerned, they got their mole.
Yes the Russians think they have their mole, but the Rezident knows the real mole is Nina.
Quote:

This

Quote:

OK, you believe what you want.
Exactly what I was saying. You said it even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He makes a good point, though...she could not have planted the diamonds. At the very least, that complicates things in terms of trying to figure out who's framing him.
He knows that if she is the mole she has help from the F.B.I. so it would be no problem for her.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I disagree. I think he may have had a suspicion as he's being led out but it was nothing more than that. What would have been her motive (in his eyes) and how could she have access to so many diamonds? If anything, he would have thought she was acting under the direction of someone else and therefore it would be useless to point a finger at her. No one else would have believed him anyway.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I must have missed that realization on his part.

I do really enjoy the show... Good stuff.... It all brings back to me how real a threat the cold war was, for both sides. I am not even sure younger people who did not live through it could understand how it was this constant state of existence that tinged everything with a bit of fear.
The funny thing about the Cold War. I lived through the latter stages, from the Viet Nam War until it ended, and I NEVER felt that the US was in any immediate danger. I figured both the Russians and us had enough nukes to blow up each other several times over. At least by the late 60s it seemed to me that we were fighting our wars by proxy (Viet Nam for us, Afghanistan for the Soviets) and there was no thread of nukes in any of those places. Sure there were a couple of flare ups, like in Czechoslovakia. In many respects we kept each other in check. I find it interesting that we were attacked in this country only after the Cold War ended. If you watch this show, you kind of get the feeling that both sides thought that the thread was imminent. Behind the scenes maybe there was more of a threat than the public ever saw.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I say the Rezident knows it was Nina that set him up because she had access to his office and he knows she was too hot to be having sex with him for any other reason. You can disagree of course...
And I will continue to disagree. He was extremely arrogant and arrogant men always think they're more attractive to hot women than they really are....
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
SeanC
ECT

And are very unlikely to believe that a beautiful woman took advantage of them.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
And I will continue to disagree. He was extremely arrogant and arrogant men always think they're more attractive to hot women than they really are....
This. So much this.

For him to suspect Nina, he would have to be willing to admit he made a mistake, and that he was not as alluring and powerful as he imagined.

Because he had an confrontational and adversarial history with the embassy investigator hunting for the mole, and because the hiddden diamonds could not have been planted by the woman, it may be easier for the accused Rezident to suspect someone other than Nina.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote