TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
yjr

mini's first screen

I have 3 Minis working with a Tivo Roamio Plus.(all hard wired Ethernet)
Every day when using the Mini for the first time to watch live TV, the first screen when the TV starts is Tivo Central- My Shows.
Is this the normal behavior for the Mini?
Is there a setting I can change to make the Mini stay(overnight) on the last channel viewed?
TIH
JerryR

yjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

It is normal behavior. The Mini automatically releases the tuner it is using for live TV back to the host DVR after 4 hours of inactivity. There is no way to change this behavior.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
When watching live TV on the Mini you're borrowing a tuner from the host and streaming it across your network. Even if this were an option it would not be a wise idea. You'd be denying a tuner to the host for recording and eating up network bandwidth for no reason.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
sangs

I'm with you on this yjr. The Directv Genie-Mini Genie allows the Mini to start up on a channel instead of a screen, so I'm not sure why Tivo can't at least employ the option for a similar method. With Directv, If you turn the Mini Genie on and all tuners are active on the main Genie, you get a pop up message telling you so when you try to change a channel. It's not that difficult a concept and is something I hope Tivo implements - along with the ability to have an active video window on the Mini, another thing Directv's Mini Genie has. Maybe with the next iteration of the Mini.

sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sounds like the Genie uses a slightly different method for live TV. Sounds like it allows you to grab a tuner even if that tuner is busy recording. TiVo does not. It puts all the tuners into a pool. Those tuners can either be used by the TiVo for recording or borrowed by a Mini for live TV, it can not do both simultaneously. If all tuners are recording then the Mini gets an error when accessing live TV. And when a tuner is "checked out" by a Mini it can not be used for recording. The host will prompt the Mini user and ask for it back, but if they say "no" then the recording is canceled.

I think the main reason for the difference is Suggestions. TiVo will not record Suggestions unless there is a free tuner. If tuners were able to be checked out by a Mini indefinitely then it could potentially prevent the TiVo from recording Suggestions.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
yjr

Thank you all who took the time to answer. I know more now on the interaction between the Roamio and the Minis than I knew before.
Thank You all
JerryR

yjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think the main reason for the difference is Suggestions. TiVo will not record Suggestions unless there is a free tuner. If tuners were able to be checked out by a Mini indefinitely then it could potentially prevent the TiVo from recording Suggestions.
On DirecTV it's called Genie Recommends and it does the same thing, so I don't think that's the reason. (And FYI, Genie Recommends records nearly the same things as my Tivo Suggestions when I activate it - which isn't often.)

sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
AdamNJ

just do this as a workaround:
power on your tv
then press the live tv button on the tivo remote.

by the time the tv starts up, live tv will already be streaming. it usually pulls the same tuner as previous (therefore the same channel you last viewed)...but can pick another tuner.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
On DirecTV it's called Genie Recommends and it does the same thing, so I don't think that's the reason. (And FYI, Genie Recommends records nearly the same things as my Tivo Suggestions when I activate it - which isn't often.)
Well since the Genie is allowed to display a tuner that is being used to record it doesn't cause the same conflict as it would on a TiVo.

I'm not saying the TiVo way is better. But based on how it does work I think if they left it streaming a live tuner all the time then it would not allow suggestions to record.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I actually like the Mini way better than a normal TiVo. I hate turning on the TV and having some random live TV channel playing.

My standard method of turning on the TV with a full TiVo is to press "TiVo-TiVo-TVpower" so I don't have to see whatever crappy show happens to be on TV before I pick a show from the list.

I wish they would make it an option on a normal box to have TiVo central stay on the screen after a timeout.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
tarheelblue32

Like an above post says, just get in the habit of hitting the "Live TV" button before (or immediately after) you hit the "TV Power" button if you really have to have a live TV channel waiting for you when the TV powers on.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote