TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
philt56

How does a mini pick a tuner?

Suppose someone is watching live tv on the Roamio in one room and someone else is watching with live tv in another room. Suppose the person on the Roamio cycles thru the tuners on the Roamio by hitting "Live TV" button multiple times. Would the mini get disconnected when the tuner it was using is accessed by the Roamio?

I was expecting that there would be something that says have the mini always use tuner 6 so that another room is less likely to conflict? But it looks like this isn't always true.

I sometimes will hit pause while watching live tv, then hit live tv switch to another tuner to check on another channel and then go back to the previous tuner. But it seems like doing that can affect the person watching on the mini. Sounds like using the Info button to see whats on all the tuner and selecting the one to go back to is better than hitting live TV button 6 times?

I just got a Roamio pro and mini so I'm just getting used to having all these tuners. I was used to a 2 tuner Premiere so hitting live tv was just a swap of the 2 tuners. So I'm trying to understand how 2 people can keep from interfering with each other. Of course if the Mini is just streaming to watch a recorded show, no problem.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

If the Mini is watching live TV the Roamio cannot access that tuner. Hit the Live TV button to your hearts content.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah it's simply removed from the pool of tuners the Roamio can access, so there is no way for it to hit the tuner the Mini is using. Min's grab exclusive access to the tuner they get when watching live TV. If the Roamio needs the tuner back to record it prompts them, but if the user refuses then the recording is simply canceled. The only other way a Mini loses a tuner is if it hits the 4 hour timeout. (4 hours of inactivity)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
philt56

Thanks all!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
philt56

Oh one more thing. How does the Mini choose a tuner? Just any one not recording or does any kind of access time come into play. Like oldest one not selected for recording or viewing live tv?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
just4fn44

It does an electronic equivalent of rock, paper scissors. The tuner that is selected lost
just4fn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4fn44 View Post
It does an electronic equivalent of rock, paper scissors. The tuner that is selected lost
Dang, I thought there was a tiny little dart board in there!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
Oh one more thing. How does the Mini choose a tuner? Just any one not recording or does any kind of access time come into play. Like oldest one not selected for recording or viewing live tv?
I've noticed that if the last tuner the Mini used is still available, it usually takes that same one back. If not, then it appears to just be random.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote