TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
mark1958
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central, Michigan
Posts: 152
My Mini arrived today from Amazon

First off I would like to thank everyone again that posted to my thread. (Are the Mini's really worth the trouble)
I just had to post a positive review being there are not a lot in the forum that I have seen.
Everything is working great on my Ethernet network, the skip feature is the best, can't wait for more networks to be included.
I also really like the Rf controller as well and the price is right to.
I did have to force a connection of my Roamio Pro and reboot the Mini a couple of times but that was painless.

mark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
MrDell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
First off I would like to thank everyone again that posted to my thread. (Are the Mini's really worth the trouble)
I just had to post a positive review being there are not a lot in the forum that I have seen.
Everything is working great on my Ethernet network, the skip feature is the best, can't wait for more networks to be included.
I also really like the Rf controller as well and the price is right to.
I did have to force a connection of my Roamio Pro and reboot the Mini a couple of times but that was painless.
Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase!! I think you will have many years of enjoyment with your Mini.

MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
WRX09MD
Registered User
 
WRX09MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 108
I've had 2 minis with a Romaio pro for 2.5 yrs now and no issues. The minis are in the kids room, it's small and easy to hide too. I love them.

__________________
Roamio Pro 2TB x 2
Mini x 2
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Scooter Scott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 63
Glad it worked out for you!

Scooter Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
ejkjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 8
Just got my mini today and hooked it up over moca (i have a fios router) and tivo bolt I bought a couple of weeks ago. Trying to decide to keep and send back my fios boxes or keep my fios dvrs. It was an easy set up with the Mini only took a couple of minutes.

ejkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
mark1958
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central, Michigan
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkjr View Post
Just got my mini today and hooked it up over moca (i have a fios router) and tivo bolt I bought a couple of weeks ago. Trying to decide to keep and send back my fios boxes or keep my fios dvrs. It was an easy set up with the Mini only took a couple of minutes.
I have been using my Mini now for a few weeks and I must say they are great, for the price you get most of the features of a Tivo at a third of the price, do they have some Con's yes they aren't as fast as a main unit and you can't change the streams like you can on the main unit but that is still minor in my opinion.

__________________
(1) Bolt 1TB
(2) Roamio Pro's Lifetime
(1) Premier Xl Lifetime
(1) Mini Lifetime
mark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
ejkjr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 8
what do you mean by change the streams?

ejkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkjr View Post
what do you mean by change the streams?
I took it as changing tuners to get other buffers?

I don't think it was a ghostbusters reference.

__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
mark1958
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central, Michigan
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkjr View Post
what do you mean by change the streams?
On your main TiVo, I have a Roamio Pro and it has 6 streams meaning I can record 6 shows at once and you are able to cycle thru the steams different channels with the mini you are actually stealing one of the streams from the Roamio so you really only have a single stream o a mini.

__________________
(1) Bolt 1TB
(2) Roamio Pro's Lifetime
(1) Premier Xl Lifetime
(1) Mini Lifetime
mark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
On your main TiVo, I have a Roamio Pro and it has 6 streams meaning I can record 6 shows at once and you are able to cycle thru the steams different channels with the mini you are actually stealing one of the streams from the Roamio so you really only have a single stream o a mini.
A word of advice so others understand. The term used more often is tuners rather than streams.

__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
mark1958
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central, Michigan
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
A word of advice so others understand. The term used more often is tuners rather than streams.
Thanks for the advice Tony I did use the wrong terminology and will keep that in mind in future post's

__________________
(1) Bolt 1TB
(2) Roamio Pro's Lifetime
(1) Premier Xl Lifetime
(1) Mini Lifetime
mark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
i2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I took it as changing tuners to get other buffers?

I don't think it was a ghostbusters reference.
LOL nice.

__________________
TiVo Bolt
4 TiVo Mini's (lifetime/ethernet/1 RF 3 IR)
i2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
kenjidm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Sorry if this has been asked. But if I buy the mini from best buys do I have to pay a subscription fee? I know if I buy from TiVo for $149 it says it has lifetime subscription.

kenjidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjidm View Post
Sorry if this has been asked. But if I buy the mini from best buys do I have to pay a subscription fee? I know if I buy from TiVo for $149 it says it has lifetime subscription.
All minis have lifetime automatically. I bought mine from Amazon.

__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #15
Series3Sub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,076
Despite some annoying cons, IMHO, the Mini is an excellent solution that gets the job done for secondary or tertiary rooms that can save lots of $$$ compared to using TiVo box DVR's in each room, especially having all your content in "one place" without having to transfer TiVo to TiVo.

I would add that sometimes you are better off having certain family members use their own TiVo DVR's so your content is separate they don't hog yours tuners.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2016 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.
Page generated in 0.19099402 seconds (62.92% PHP - 37.08% MySQL) with 18 queries