TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
NSPhillips

Mini's sleep mode

My wife complained that the Mini is annoying because if it stays on the same channel for a while it will ask to go into sleep mode.

I tried to explain that she should be watching recorded content so she doesn't have to see commercials and that the remote buttons would keep it "awake", but she has no interest in doing so.

Is this set at something like 90 minutes? Has anyone found an option for it in the menus? I'd like it to at least be as long as a two-hour movie.
NSPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
moyekj

I think it is 90 minutes and there is no setting to change it AFAIK. Simply having your wife tap the volume or mute button once an hour or so should be enough to avoid the timeout.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
teklock

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think it is 90 minutes and there is no setting to change it AFAIK. Simply having your wife tap the volume or mute button once an hour or so should be enough to avoid the timeout.
Yeah, i'm not a fan of the sleep thing either. There should be a setting for that.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
moyekj

I think it's good there is a sleep as I wouldn't want live TV to be the default timeout option for the Mini and needlessly streaming while nobody is watching. But I agree there should be a setting to control timeout period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would like to be able to make the timeout period shorter. Like 30 minutes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

This is where a power button would be nice, turn it of sleep mode, turn it on wakeup. Linda depends on the definition of power on/off or sleep/wake.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would like to be able to make the timeout period shorter. Like 30 minutes.
I talked to TiVo tech support, and they also never though enough about this 90 minute automatic time out, they are going to go back to TiVo eng to see if this can be fixed, it would helpful if others called TiVo and complained about this. Even the CSR I talk to uses her TiVo-TV to go to sleep, and would not like her TV to go off every 90 min. (Until she asked someone she did not even know this was an unadvertised feature of this product.)

SO lets call

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
HDRyder9

Is the sleep mode the precursor to dynamic tuner allocation? After 90 minutes of non use the Mini gives up the tuner?
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
jano18

My wife has been complaining about this feature also. She also doesn't like that she has to hit live or select a recording. I told her I will set up a macros to execute live upon entering the TiVo Mini activity. I hope Tivo will offer an adjustable setting for the timer in a future update.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Is the sleep mode the precursor to dynamic tuner allocation? After 90 minutes of non use the Mini gives up the tuner?
The problem what is non use, just leaving the TV on when you are working or in bed trying to go to sleep is use but not using the Mini remote for 90 minutes, is that non use, TVs do not go off if left on, my computer has a setting to control when it goes to sleep if at all.
We do not now have dynamic tuner so that not an issue, at least for now.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Maybe. It already helps today if you have enough minis to oversubscribe your Elite/4/4 XL's networked tuners. (2 minis w/ only 1 tuner shared or 3 minis).

Dropping from liveTV allows a different mini to grab the tuner. If all network tuners are currently streaming you just get an error message when the next mini tries to view live tv.

Of course it'll be must more useful, and to a wider range of users, if/when dynamic tuner allocation is rolled out, since it'll be recordings, not just other minis, competing for the tuner.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
zubinh

So you're essentially saying that one cannot watch a two hour movie uninterrupted with a Tivo Mini. Great Feature Tivo.

Does anyone know how to put the Mini in standby with just one click on the remote? I'd like to program my Harmony to do that when turning off.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
2trill4925

I've emailed support on this issue. I was debating defecting to Ceton, but the thought of my toddlers jamming objects into an XBOX 360 DVD tray put me off. I really want to like this piece of tech, but this is a slap in the face. I was just trying to stream live TV to my kids' rooms. Something tells me that Tivo and the Cable Providers made a backroom deal as the cable companies are about to go mainstream with their own implementation of the same technology.

The least Tivo could've done was made retail consumers aware of this feature.
2trill4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Digital Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
So you're essentially saying that one cannot watch a two hour movie uninterrupted with a Tivo Mini. Great Feature Tivo.

Thanks.
Can't you just tap a key on the remote once every 90 minutes to re-start the 90 minute sleep timer? If that's the case it's really not that bad. I agree they should allow us to configure the timer, but it's really not that big of a deal.

DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
Can't you just tap a key on the remote once every 90 minutes to re-start the 90 minute sleep timer? If that's the case it's really not that bad. I agree they should allow us to configure the timer, but it's really not that big of a deal.

DM
I did test out the 2 hour movie and no time out when streaming a program, the time out only happens when watching Live TV for more than 90 minutes and not tapping the remote in that time, each tap add another 90 minutes, but if you use the Mini in the bedroom to go to sleep with Live TV do you want to get up every 90 minutes to tap the remote, how about working in the kitchen, this time out is a pain, for now I don't know what purpose it serves as the power the Mini uses stays at 5 watts.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TVs do not go off if left on
My Panasonic Plasma does when it detects nothing coming from the HDMI. Every once and a while I will forget to turn the TV off after finishing a movie and powering off the Blu-Ray. A few minutes later I will see a popup saying TV will power off in 5 minutes. If I let it go and shut off, when I power it back on it tells me it was turned off by the power off function or something to that effect.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
My Panasonic Plasma does when it detects nothing coming from the HDMI. Every once and a while I will forget to turn the TV off after finishing a movie and powering off the Blu-Ray. A few minutes later I will see a popup saying TV will power off in 5 minutes. If I let it go and shut off, when I power it back on it tells me it was turned off by the power off function or something to that effect.
But at least it is looking at the HDMI cable, no going off with TV playing.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
brholl

I think the best solution might be for the TiVo Mini to figure out whether the TV is still powered on or not through the HDMI cable. If it's powered on and still sending a signal to the TV, then don't put the Mini to sleep. I also wish when you turn the TV on that you didn't have to push the Live TV or TiVo button. Pushing the power button on the TiVo remote should automatically default it to Live TV or My Shows (your choice in the settings).
brholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
2trill4925

Quote:
Originally Posted by brholl View Post
I think the best solution might be for the TiVo Mini to figure out whether the TV is still powered on or not through the HDMI cable. If it's powered on and still sending a signal to the TV, then don't put the Mini to sleep. I also wish when you turn the TV on that you didn't have to push the Live TV or TiVo button. Pushing the power button on the TiVo remote should automatically default it to Live TV or My Shows (your choice in the settings).
That is an interesting suggestion.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
2trill4925

I decided since the clock is ticking on my 30 day satisfaction agreement, it would be wiser to contact Tivo. The response I got was half-baked, and I wouldn't be surprised if my suggestion ended with the CSR.

Hello 2trill4925,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. The Mini does have a limit of a 90 minute tuner allocation before that tuner goes back to the use of the host DVR. I would be happy to forward your suggestion to our engineers. If you think of anything else, you can make suggestions directly at: http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

Please continue to use reference number xxxxxx-xxxxxx for further contact regarding this request. In order to respond to this email, please log into your account at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.

Sincerely,
Beth

TiVo Customer Support Representative
www.tivo.com/support
http://forums.tivo.com
Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #21
lessd

Now that I got my Mini fully working I have tested out the sleep mode, and I have good news, as the Mini will not go to sleep if watching Live TV or a recorded show, it only goes to sleep if left in the menu for 90 minutes, so when dynamic tuner software comes along one would just leave the Mini in the menu and the system could take over the extra tuner. A normal TiVo left in the menu will default back to live TV.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Loach

Quote:
Now that I got my Mini fully working I have tested out the sleep mode, and I have good news, as the Mini will not go to sleep if watching Live TV or a recorded show, it only goes to sleep if left in the menu for 90 minutes, so when dynamic tuner software comes along one would just leave the Mini in the menu and the system could take over the extra tuner. A normal TiVo left in the menu will default back to live TV.
I had my Mini on live TV watching hoops yesterday and it timed out. I don't know whether it was technically in "sleep mode" but it absolutely timed out and went to a screen saver-type warning message.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I had my Mini on live TV watching hoops yesterday and it timed out. I don't know whether it was technically in "sleep mode" but it absolutely timed out and went to a screen saver-type warning message.
I will try it again, but I turned on the TV by its own power button so I would not use the TiVo remote to turn on the TV as a rest, as the Mini may respond to any IR signal in some way.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
moyekj

Quote:
Live TV does time out after 90 minutes of no interaction with remote by design. One of the main purposes to time out is so as not to needlessly be streaming when nobody is watching.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
lessd

Quote:
Live TV does time out after 90 minutes of no interaction with remote by design. One of the main purposes to time out is so as not to needlessly be streaming when nobody is watching.
I have not tested Live TV a 2nd time, but the Mini does not time out when watching a recording, I set it up on a 3 hour game and left the room, no remote action, came back in 2 1/2 hours later and the Mini was still streaming that program.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
moyekj

Quote:
I have not tested Live TV a 2nd time, but the Mini does not time out when watching a recording, I set it up on a 3 hour game and left the room, no remote action, came back in 2 1/2 hours later and the Mini was still streaming that program.
And that's a good thing. I can't say I've ever confirmed that though, since I never watch anything without touching the remote either to skip commercials or to skip back 8 seconds to catch something I missed, or to turn on/off captions, etc. So even if it did time out for recorded shows it wouldn't be a big deal to me, but it makes more sense if it does not. I did have a tuner dedicated to the Mini initially and left it on live TV several times intentionally to make sure it did time out, which it did.

Timing out live TV is what matters. I don't have a tuner dedicated to the Mini anymore, but if I did I would want a timeout to screensaver mode as is the case now since I would not want live TV streaming unnecessarily with nobody watching.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
lessd

Quote:
And that's a good thing. I can't say I've ever confirmed that though, since I never watch anything without touching the remote either to skip commercials or to skip back 8 seconds to catch something I missed, or to turn on/off captions, etc. So even if it did time out for recorded shows it wouldn't be a big deal to me, but it makes more sense if it does not. I did have a tuner dedicated to the Mini initially and left it on live TV several times intentionally to make sure it did time out, which it did.

Timing out live TV is what matters. I don't have a tuner dedicated to the Mini anymore, but if I did I would want a timeout to screensaver mode as is the case now since I would not want live TV streaming unnecessarily with nobody watching.
I recheck and the Mini did time out after 4 hours (I don't know when it went to sleep in that 4 hour time), but the TV was off, I am going to try leaving the TV on and check in about 90 minutes.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see that it times out quickly after watching a recorded show. I've come back a short time after watching a show and it's on the screen saver or whatever it's called. Personally I would rather have a static screen instead of something moving around. It's been eight years since I've had an HDTV that can get burn in.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
lessd

Quote:
I recheck and the Mini did time out after 4 hours (I don't know when it went to sleep in that 4 hour time), but the TV was off, I am going to try leaving the TV on and check in about 90 minutes.
The Mini does time out on Live TV, TiVo should fix this as some people may want to use the Mini in the bedroom and getting up every 90 minutes would be a bummer, also some people like to have the TV on in the Kitchen when working and not have it go off every 90 minutes.
IMHO

TiVo should fix this time out problem!!! or as TiVo may call it "a good feature"

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
moyekj

A configurable setting is what is really needed to please everyone as already discussed, including option for no timeout.