TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
KimHedrick

Pairing Mode

I want to use my Roamio remote with the Mini in my bedroom. I purchased a Slide Pro for the Roamio and would like to use the original Roamio remote with the Mini because of the button layout. How do I get the Mini into pairing mode? There is no section 5 under Remotes on the Mini so I can't do what all my searches tell me to do. Any help with this would be appreciated.

1 Roamio OTA 1/2016
KimHedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

If it's a v2 Mini, and you want to use RF mode: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...g-Instructions

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518049

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
KimHedrick

It's a version 1 Mini. All the instructions I've found say to go to Part 5 of Remote Control Setup and under the RC14 software there is no Part 5.

1 Roamio OTA 1/2016
Old 06-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
krkaufman

Background: TiVo Mini Comparison

Do you have a TiVo USB RF Dongle attached to your v1 Mini? If not, you'll be restricted to using your Roamio's remote in IR mode w/ the Mini.

See this excerpt from the above comparison link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
As an alternative, some people opt to buy a TiVo Slide Pro remote, pictured last in the above images..., effectively negating any difference between the Mini v1 & v2 in a Roamio setup -- so long as you buy the Slide Pro with the included USB RF Dongle. (e.g. If you opt to use the Slide Pro at the Roamio, the Roamio's orig remote, along w/ the RF dongle, could be moved to a Mini v1 location to give it RF remote capability -- and a Roamio remote button layout.)
What you're looking for...
Spoiler:

You may have received one with your Slide Pro purchase, if you selected the "TiVo Premiere or TiVo Mini" option, or you might be able to persuade TiVo to send you one, now, explaining your situation and family dissatisfaction over the differing remote layout/behavior.

Last edited by krkaufman; 06-26-2016 at 03:08 PM.
krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
KimHedrick

I don't have the dongle but I don't have any problem with running it in IR mode if necessary. One of the things that started me on this "quest" was the fact that the Roamio remote, which I've been using with the Mini for months suddenly stopped working as well like maybe the batteries were dying. I looked in the System Info screen and saw that the remote was on Remote Address 0 and the Battery Level was Unknown. So what I'm really interested in is knowing how to change the Address to another number if I like and/or pairing this Roamio remote with the Mini and being able to see an actual Battery Level. Also I can't find anything anywhere that tells me how to put the Mini into Pairing Mode to pair a different remote with it. TiVo changes software but never updates their online instructions to correspond with the changes which make all this very frustrating. Thanks for the replies, guys.

1 Roamio OTA 1/2016
Old 06-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
KimHedrick

BTW, doesn't the light at the top of the remote flashing yellow mean the remote is in RF mode or do I have that backwards? The remote for one of my other Minis flashes yellow whenever I press a button and it works fine but it also doesn't show the battery level in Sys. Info. These are definitely A92 Minis.

1 Roamio OTA 1/2016

Last edited by KimHedrick; 06-26-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHedrick View Post
BTW, doesn't the light at the top of the remote flashing yellow mean the remote is in RF mode or do I have that backwards? The remote for one of my other Minis flashes yellow whenever I press a button and it works fine but it also doesn't show the battery level in Sys. Info. These are definitely A92 Minis.
Please hit "TIVO" button and "C" button. That puts the remote into RF mode (red LED). There's no pairing needed. There's no reason to change the channel unless you have another Mini next to it. You will have to program the TV power/mute/volume.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
krkaufman

Yes, flashing Yellow/Amber means the remote considers itself to be in RF mode.

Also, what I didn't explicitly say above is that because you will only be able to use the Roamio remote in IR mode with your v1 Mini, absent the RF dongle, there isn't any "pairing" to be done, exactly, nor will you have access to the "Battery Level" data which must be communicated via RF. (Oh, one other feature not available sans the USB RF Dongle is the "Remote Finder" feature accessible via a button on the dongle.)

That said, as for getting your Roamio remote working with your Mini, so you at least have the same button layout between TiVo devices...

Your first step should be to reset the remote to defaults,
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Global reset of TiVo remote (link)...
To reset all programmable buttons:
  1. Press and hold the TV PWR and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the activity light on the remote turns on and remains lit when you release the buttons.

2. Press THUMBS DOWN three times, then press ENTER.
Next, put the remote into IR mode: Just as Joe said... simultaneously press and hold the 'TiVo' and red 'C' buttons on your Roamio remote until the top LED flashes red. The remote is now in IR mode.

That's all you should need to do to get the remote working with your TiVo Mini v1. Only if the Mini is in the same room as another TiVo device, *then* you might need to look at changing its IR remote address from the default of '0.' (If/when that times comes, see here.)

Once you've verified that the remote is working with your Mini, you can then go about customizing the remote for controlling your TV. (You'll need to re-do this setup owing to the above "global reset.")

Last edited by krkaufman; 06-26-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHedrick View Post
It's a version 1 Mini. All the instructions I've found say to go to Part 5 of Remote Control Setup and under the RC14 software there is no Part 5.
Just to be clear, the v1 Mini has no built-in RF capability, therefore 'Part 5' of the Remote Control Setup screen, specific to RF pairing, is rightfully absent from the UI.

If you want the battery indicator, Remote Finder, etc, you'll want to add the USB RF Dongle...
https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/...remote-control

Note: If you did not purchase a USB receiver with your Slide Pro, call TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-FOR-TIVO to order one.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #10
KimHedrick

Thanks guys, as usual, there's much more and better info. here than on the TiVo website.

1 Roamio OTA 1/2016