TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
jhyland

Moca network diagram questions

I've tried to draw out the network I am planning (see attachment). I understand Moca won't work through a tuning adapter. That's why I have it split out. Also, I understand the 2 splitters I have marked with a Circled A need to handle the higher frequency that Moca uses.

Question 1) Does this network make sense? or am I missing something.
Question 2) Do I need a POE filter if the AMP on the incoming line is rated at 52 - 1002 Mhz since MoCa operates at a higher frequency?

Attached Images
File Type: png jhyland tivo diagram 2.png (109.2 KB, 28 views)
jhyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland View Post
I've tried to draw out the network I am planning (see attachment). I understand Moca won't work through a tuning adapter. That's why I have it split out. Also, I understand the 2 splitters I have marked with a Circled A need to handle the higher frequency that Moca uses.

Question 1) Does this network make sense? or am I missing something.
Question 2) Do I need a POE filter if the AMP on the incoming line is rated at 52 - 1002 Mhz since MoCa operates at a higher frequency?
Good diagram. My thoughts...
  • Yes, you'd still need a PoE MoCA filter. If that's a single line amp, the MoCA filter can be on the downstream side of the amp, on the input to the unlabeled 2-way split in the line. Otherwise, you could ensure the amp is a MoCA-compliant model, one that will pass MoCA signals laterally across its outputs but includes a built-in MoCA filter.

edit: Actually, looking at the diagram one more time, all your MoCA traffic will be on just one side of that amp, so you could install a MoCA filter on the input to that splitter labeled "A" closest to the amp, and you'd be covered on the "PoE" MoCA filter front.

• Possibly need a MoCA filter (distinct from the MoCA filter at your PoE) on the input to the tuning adapter. (see here)

• To be precise, there will be a USB cable between the tuning adapter and the BOLT.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
jhyland

Thanks. Good catch on the USB between the TA and Bolt. I forgot to put that on the diagram. When I go to TWC to get the cable card and TA, I'm going to try to get the filters and moca-capable splitters. Sometimes they are very helpful providing extra items like that.

I'm enjoying this project. I know a lot about ethernet networks, but nothing about MoCa and using the coax, so I'm excited to learn it.

jhyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland View Post
Thanks. Good catch on the USB between the TA and Bolt. I forgot to put that on the diagram. When I go to TWC to get the cable card and TA, I'm going to try to get the filters and moca-capable splitters. Sometimes they are very helpful providing extra items like that.

I'm enjoying this project. I know a lot about ethernet networks, but nothing about MoCa and using the coax, so I'm excited to learn it.
Good luck!

And good call re: trying to get the parts from TWC; can't hurt to ask.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
krkaufman

FYI... annotated diagram

And an alternate diagram, attempting to maximize signal strength to the BOLT location. (Not sure it would remove need for amp, but might be worth a look.)
p.s. Any unused splitter ports should be capped with a 75-ohm terminator.

Last edited by krkaufman; 09-02-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
dudleynyc

This is a document I have in the past found very helpful to understanding MOCA:

As above poster pointed out, best MOCA performance is achieved with POE filter as shown in diagram. The POE filter acts to reflect the MOCA signal and therefore should be attached to the root splitter (see linked doc for more info)

dudleynyc is offline   Reply With Quote