TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
travisc77

Tivo Mini or Roamio?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Mini when I noticed the Roamio with Lifetime deal at $300. I currently have 4 lifetime Tivos' (Roamio, 2 Premieres, S3).

I wanted a mini for the guest bedroom. I figured it would use one of the Roamio tuners when needed. It would be $130 mini, then to get MoCa I needed the $50 adapter for the roamio, plus filter $10. So this would be $190 vs $300 for a new lifetime Roamio. Then I could use move the S3 into the guest room.

Any thoughts or suggestions? In addition since the roamio is near the router, I could run an ethernet cable 100' from the router to the guest room for $12 for the mini, then connect the Roamio to the router. This puts the Mini at half of the roamio costs.

Thanks for the input.

Travis

Old 09-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
fcfc2

Hi,
If it were me, I would go for the Roamio. Your S3 is getting long in the tooth and I believe does not support mpeg 4, which is becoming more common. The mini price seems stable with lifetime included, $300 for a Roamio with lifetime is not going to remain for long and may not ever return. I see it as a good investment.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
travisc77

That's a good point on Mpeg4. I'm leaning towards the Roamio too. If for nothing else I don't have to deal with Cat5 or Moca.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
thefisch

Will you need to pay for another cable card for the roamio or are you doing OTA?

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
travisc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Will you need to pay for another cable card for the roamio or are you doing OTA?
I would probably take one of the cards from the S3 and put in the Roamio. Then put the S3 in the guest room where dual tuner isn't as important.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
I would probably take one of the cards from the S3 and put in the Roamio. Then put the S3 in the guest room where dual tuner isn't as important.
Unless I misinterpret, "one of the cards from the S3" would indicate that you have a single-stream cards in your S3. I'm pretty sure the Roamio requires a multi-stream card. At the very least you'd need to trade in the single stream card from the S3 for a multi-stream card with your cable company, so you still end up even.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
travisc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Unless I misinterpret, "one of the cards from the S3" would indicate that you have a single-stream cards in your S3. I'm pretty sure the Roamio requires a multi-stream card. At the very least you'd need to trade in the single stream card from the S3 for a multi-stream card with your cable company, so you still end up even.
I could be wrong, but I think I have two multi-stream cards in the S3. As I recall they were all the same when I moved a few years back, but I needed two in the S3 (singles in the premeires & roamio).

Travis

Old 09-11-2015, 01:45 AM   #8
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think I have two multi-stream cards in the S3. As I recall they were all the same when I moved a few years back, but I needed two in the S3 (singles in the premeires & roamio). Travis
You only need two in the S3 if you have only S cards. If you got an M card then you only need one, in slot one, to cover both tuners.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You only need two in the S3 if you have only S cards. If you got an M card then you only need one, in slot one, to cover both tuners.
No, an S3 needs two cards to enable both tuners even if they are M-cards.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
No, an S3 needs two cards to enable both tuners even if they are M-cards.
Are you sure about that? I'll have to check when I get a chance. You certainly may be right.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Are you sure about that? I'll have to check when I get a chance. You certainly may be right.
I have a couple of S3s with M-cards in them; the TWC installers said two were needed when the put them in, but I would not expect anyone to take what a TWC installer says as evidence of anything whatsoever. If someone from TWC told me the sky was blue I'd go outside and check for myself.

One of the improvements of the TiVo HD noted by the promotional materials when it came out was that it would only need a single M-card, unlike the previous S3 which required two cards, either S- or M-cards.

Here are some helpful references:
TiVopedia on cablecards
TCF Discussion
The TiVo HD and the S3 both being "Series 3" machines might have something to do with this confusion.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #12
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
......... The TiVo HD and the S3 both being "Series 3" machines might have something to do with this confusion.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head! I was thinking the same thing after I read your post but wasn't able to research it any further at the time. Have we established if his "S3" is an OLED S3 or the HD unit?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:58 AM   #13
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

That tivopedia site you linked does say this though:

Quote:
A new type of CableCARD is emerging that can decode two streams of encrypted cable signal at once. These are knows as M cards or multistream cards. With an M card, one card is sufficient to allow a compatible DVR to record two separate channels at once. Currently, only the TiVo HD is compatible with this feature of an M card. A Series3 TiVo can use an M card, but only to record one channel at a time. So for a Series3 unit, you'd need two M cards installed to have the ability to record two channels at once. If/when the Series3 units can receive two streams through one M card, notice should be posted on the TiVo M card support page.
Do we know if the S3 OLED ever received this update, maybe through a regular TiVo software release, if possible?