TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
rmduff

Bolt and Mini MOCA OTA issues

Hi I have dumped DirecTv after 17 years and gone OTA. I have a Bolt and a Mini connected via MOCA. The Bolt is connected to my Uverse internet via ethernet.

Everything was working fine for the first week or so but then I began getting errors on the Mini - could not connect to the Bolt. I got a MOCA POE filter and installed it near the antenna and that cleared my Mini connection issues. However the POE filter would not work with my RCA PreAmp - TVPRAMP1R it blocked all the antenna signals, so I had to disconnect the PreAmp. With this I lost all my fringe channels but I could live with it. But now I'm having issues with my some of my local ota channels when the weather is bad.

I either need to figure out how to use my RCA PreAmp with MOCA or get another booster that will play well with MOCA. Any suggestions?

rmduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
unknownpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmduff View Post
Hi I have dumped DirecTv after 17 years and gone OTA. I have a Bolt and a Mini connected via MOCA. The Bolt is connected to my Uverse internet via ethernet.

Everything was working fine for the first week or so but then I began getting errors on the Mini - could not connect to the Bolt. I got a MOCA POE filter and installed it near the antenna and that cleared my Mini connection issues. However the POE filter would not work with my RCA PreAmp - TVPRAMP1R it blocked all the antenna signals, so I had to disconnect the PreAmp. With this I lost all my fringe channels but I could live with it. But now I'm having issues with my some of my local ota channels when the weather is bad.

I either need to figure out how to use my RCA PreAmp with MOCA or get another booster that will play well with MOCA. Any suggestions?
Amplifiers are not recommended for use with TiVos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Support
Will a signal amplifier interfere with my MoCA network?

TiVo doesn't recommend using a signal amplifier on a MoCA network. Amplifiers can block communication between devices and cause them to disappear from the network. If you must use a signal amplifier, make sure it is rated for > 1.2GHz and is bidirectional.
I hope this helps!

unknownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Time_Lord

In my scenario I don't need a signal booster but if I had to use one I'ld would connect it like this -

Antenna -> amplifier -> MoCA POE -> splitter (to TiVOs/MoCA devices)

also don't use a splitter that has more connections than you need as this can introduce noise as the unterminated connections on the splitter can work like antennas

Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
rmduff

I tried putting the MoCA POE before and after the amplifier but either way it kills off the antenna signal and without the MoCA POE filter the mini will not stay connected to the Bolt. The splitter I'm using is a two way MoCA approved splitter so no unused connections.

I was hoping someone on here uses a amplifier that works with a MoCA system.

rmduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmduff View Post
I tried putting the MoCA POE before and after the amplifier but either way it kills off the antenna signal and without the MoCA POE filter the mini will not stay connected to the Bolt. The splitter I'm using is a two way MoCA approved splitter so no unused connections.

I was hoping someone on here uses a amplifier that works with a MoCA system.
How is the power inserted to the pre-amp? If the filter is blocking the power, as it appears, then could it be bypassed by adding a 2 way to the antenna after the amp with one leg feeding the power source for the amp and the other leg having the filter and feeding the Tivos. You might try this with one of those green label DTV splitters that have the DC power pass.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote