TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
Finalrinse

Remote loses pairing after a few days

I have a Roamio Basic and Mini V2 in the same room same shelf (I use the Roamio basic for OTA). Each is using it's own factory TiVo remote. For awhile, like a few months, all worked well. Now, every few days when I try to use the Mini V2 there is no response from the remote. I have to pull the plug on the Mini and power back up, then all is well for a few days. Any ideas why this just started happening?

Comcast Cable/HD ant OTA
Darblet DVP 5000
Lime-Tech UnRaid Server
Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector
Carada 134" Screen
OPPO 103
Denon AVR-X4000
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
jhirschman

I'm seeing pairing problems with my Mini, too

I'm seeing problems with my Mini's remote, too. The pairing doesn't seem to stick.

jhirschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I have a Roamio Basic and Mini V2 in the same room same shelf (I use the Roamio basic for OTA). Each is using it's own factory TiVo remote. For awhile, like a few months, all worked well. Now, every few days when I try to use the Mini V2 there is no response from the remote. I have to pull the plug on the Mini and power back up, then all is well for a few days. Any ideas why this just started happening?
I would like to bring this back up, still having the issue. Any ideas?

Comcast Cable/HD ant OTA
Darblet DVP 5000
Lime-Tech UnRaid Server
Carada 134" Screen
OPPO 103
Denon AVR-X4000
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
sbiller

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

My Mini V2 stops responding to the RF remote commands. A reboot of the Mini corrects the problem so the pairing isn't really lost. This is repeatable every day after a period of inactivity. I was planning on calling TiVo about the problem.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

My Mini V2 stops responding to the RF remote commands. A reboot of the Mini corrects the problem so the pairing isn't really lost. This is repeatable every day after a period of inactivity. I was planning on calling TiVo about the problem.
Called TiVo support. The technical representative did not have any good suggestions. Since I have the original RF remote and the Slide Pro remote, I'm going to troubleshoot a bit more to see if they both lose the ability to control or if it isolated to one remote. She indicated that the box could be bad since a reset fixes the problem.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
string-bean

I have the same issue with my Mini. I have found that my remote does work if I switch it to IR, so it is strictly a loss of the RF connection.

I am in contact with TiVo support, but they have not come up with a solution yet. I'll post here if they figure out how to correct the problem.

string-bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by string-bean View Post
I have the same issue with my Mini. I have found that my remote does work if I switch it to IR, so it is strictly a loss of the RF connection.

I am in contact with TiVo support, but they have not come up with a solution yet. I'll post here if they figure out how to correct the problem.
After pairing my 2nd RF remote with the Mini, I waited until the RF failed to work. Both RF remotes failed to communicate with the Mini V2. Once again, RF and iOS app communication continued to work. A reboot of the Mini corrected the problem as expected.

I do have an extra RF dongle for a Mini V1 that I could try. I suspect that this will work flawlessly since I have never experienced this problem on a non-RF box.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:41 AM   #8
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Once again, RF and iOS app communication continued to work. A reboot of the Mini corrected the problem as expected.
You meant IR still works on both Remotes?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
You meant IR still works on both Remotes?
Correct. IR still works on the remotes for controlling the television volume, power, etc.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
sbiller

Just finished a phone call with a very pleasant and cooperative tech support person. He agreed to replace my out of warranty Mini V2 (activated Feb 2015) at no charge. It will be interesting to see if I see this problem again but it sounds like it isn't very common.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
jeffdoering

I am having *exactly* the same issue with a Tivo Mini that's about 3 weeks old. Using slider + stock remotes (both in RF mode). Loosing control within a few hours. Network control still works fine, box is responsive. Only solution appears to be plug-and-unplug.

So maybe not entirely uncommon. Let us know if your issue disappears with a new box. Don't want to start swapping hardware too soon in case it is a software problem. I did not have this issue the first week or two using the Mini.

jeffdoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
sbiller

To date, the new Mini V2 is working flawlessly.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Finalrinse

Quote:
To date, the new Mini V2 is working flawlessly.
Great to know, mine is still acting up, time for a call

Comcast Cable/HD ant OTA
Darblet DVP 5000
Lime-Tech UnRaid Server
Carada 134" Screen
OPPO 103
Denon AVR-X4000
Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
string-bean

As I posted earlier, I have the same issue with my TiVo Mini. After many conversations and troubleshooting, TiVo finally agreed to exchange it. They initially wanted $50 for the exchange, but after talking to a supervisor they were able to waive that fee. My mini was purchased in June, so it was a month past the 90 day warranty period from when I initially contacted them.

I should receive my new mini in a few days, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts longer than my current one.

During my conversations with them they did mention that a main culprit of losing the RF connection is when the Mini is within three feet of a router. I wanted to mention that here in case someone with this issue has that scenario.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
jeffdoering

Interesting. Sounds to me like saying "within 3 feet of a router" is a non-technical (or deliberately vague) way of saying "our RF solution has some kind of interface problems that we don't handle correctly". My mini is not within three feet of a "router" but it' is very close to other computer network hardware (none with WLAN antennas though). So it really depends on what they think causes the interference. I guess getting a new box from them and seeing if the issue continues would be a good test. Telling me to move my equipment would not be an acceptable resolution. But sbiller didn't mention moving anything after replacing his box.

jeffdoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
sbiller

My Mini was located in a bedroom nowhere close to the router. The only device nearby was a Roku box. My replacement V2 Mini continues to work well.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
string-bean

I also found the router comment in the Troubleshooting section of the Roamio Remote Control on their support site.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Pr...Remote-Control

My Roamio remote will not work in RF mode

Although the Roamio remote in RF mode has a range of approximately 30 feet, certain materials or other devices using RF signal can interfere with the RF signal from your remote. Specifically, make sure that you are more than 18 inches away from any router or Wi-Fi access point when using the remote in RF mode.

If you are unable to use RF mode, you can switch your remote to IR mode. For instructions, see Switching to IR mode.

If your remote doesn't function in either RF mode or IR mode, replace your batteries and try again.

If your remote still doesn't function in RF mode or IR mode, Contact TiVo Support.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Joseph Betts

Mini Remote Stops Working

My new Mini worked great until about a week ago. Suddenly the remote doesn't work every morning (or after several hours) unless I unplug and restart the Mini. The TiVo help chat line was of no help.

Joseph Betts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Betts View Post
My new Mini worked great until about a week ago. Suddenly the remote doesn't work every morning (or after several hours) unless I unplug and restart the Mini. The TiVo help chat line was of no help.
Sounds like you should convince TiVo Support to replace the Mini. I would make sure it repeats at least a few times.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
junknspam3

My Tivo Mini & remote just unpaired from each other just tonight. Did a reboot of the mini and it works again.
Is there a way to manually pair remotes to a certain tivo device.

junknspam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #21
joehilarious

My Tivo Minis worked great for about six months. Then the the Tivo Mini units would see the romio plus as not being a legitimate device to pair with. I have gone around and around with tech support. I was using TP Links (Ethernet over power) to connect. They then said to wire it directly so it could refind the unit. I have two physical locations where I use my TiVo. One network is at 192.168.199.x. My other network was using 192.168.10.x. I rewired everything physically and put it another switch to no avail . I brought one of the units to the 192.168.199.x network and it worked great. I brought it to the other network and it would not work and gave the V70 error.

Multiple calls to Tech support did always resulted int telling me to plug in everything and then try it....or download three times on the main unit and it will work. Nothing did work until..........

I went to the 192.168.10.x number and renumbered it to 192.168.199.x.

So evidentely if you have multiple Tivo units they all have to be on the same numbered network. This is ridiculous and is a technical flow with the software. This needs to be fixed because I do not understand why they designed it this way. Initially it was fine for six months .. Then it changed.

Can someone in tech support look at this and have it fixed.

joehilarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #22
andyw715

Similar issue with mine (mounted on back of Samsung LCD).
It's about 15' away from my WiFi router.

I did get it via Amazon, so I could get it replaced through them. Is there any gotchas when replacing hardware "not by TiVo"?

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #23
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehilarious View Post
My Tivo Minis worked great for about six months. Then the the Tivo Mini units would see the romio plus as not being a legitimate device to pair with. I have gone around and around with tech support. I was using TP Links (Ethernet over power) to connect. They then said to wire it directly so it could refind the unit. I have two physical locations where I use my TiVo. One network is at 192.168.199.x. My other network was using 192.168.10.x. I rewired everything physically and put it another switch to no avail . I brought one of the units to the 192.168.199.x network and it worked great. I brought it to the other network and it would not work and gave the V70 error.

Multiple calls to Tech support did always resulted int telling me to plug in everything and then try it....or download three times on the main unit and it will work. Nothing did work until..........

I went to the 192.168.10.x number and renumbered it to 192.168.199.x.

So evidentely if you have multiple Tivo units they all have to be on the same numbered network. This is ridiculous and is a technical flow with the software. This needs to be fixed because I do not understand why they designed it this way. Initially it was fine for six months .. Then it changed.

Can someone in tech support look at this and have it fixed.
This isn't an official TiVo forum. You'll need to contact TiVo.

Given that, there is a wealth of information here gathered by actual users and most often is more valuable than TiVo support

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehilarious View Post
All TiVos that share the same account, and thus share the same MAK, need to be on the same subnet.

If you have multiple networks, you need to set up separate TiVo accounts for each network.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #25
junknspam3

Yes, joehilarious your tivos and minis need to be on the same subnet in order to communicate.
Now back to the topic of THIS thread.
Has anyone heard anything from TiVo about the unpairing problem of the minis and their remotes?

Roamio Series 5 w/lifetime-Comcast cable card
Roamio Series 5 w/lifetime-antenna
Roamio OTA Series 5-antenna
5 TiVo Minis

Last edited by junknspam3; 01-13-2016 at 09:07 AM.
junknspam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:27 AM   #26
GimmePepsi

My 2 month old Tivo Mini just developed the exact same problem as the OP. Prior to three days ago the RF pairing was working 100% perfectly, with never a hiccup. But now the Mini and the remote appear to lose their pairing after a few hours of inactivity. Nothing restores it except a power cycle of the Mini, after which the remote again works 100% perfectly in RF mode for a while. (At no time does it "drop out of RF mode into IR mode" as others have reported in another thread. Based on the red/yellow coloration, it stays in RF mode, but the Mini stops recognizing any button presses. The IR A/V functions continue to work fine no matter what I do.)

I've tried replacing the batteries in the remote, also I've done a global reset and re-paired. Nothing prevents the condition from recurring. For now I have put the remote into IR mode exclusively.

It does not seem to me that the symptoms are consistent with any kind of interference problem.

Since it's only 2 months old, I plan on calling Tivo to get them to send me a new Mini.

GimmePepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #27
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmePepsi View Post
But now the Mini and the remote appear to lose their pairing after a few hours of inactivity. Nothing restores it except a power cycle of the Mini.
I had the same issue with a refurb that TiVo sent me to replace a Mini they killed with an update. The TiVo CSR immediately sent a replacement and acted like is was a well known issue.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #28
GimmePepsi

Well, I never called TiVo, because as a last resort I moved the Mini slightly away from my WiFi router, and the problem has not happened once in the many days since then. It was 1 foot away from the router, now it's 3 feet away.

I was aware of the advice to not put the Mini closer than 1.5 feet from a router, but I didn't think that was the explanation for my problem, because of a) the similar symptoms described by other people whose Mini was NOT close to their router, and b) the fact that mine would work 100% fine for several hours before losing the pairing. (If there was an interference problem wouldn't I see that immediately?)

Whatever the explanation is, I am now happy.

GimmePepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #29
haggis444
Master of my domain

Probably a dumb question, when this happens does the light on your remote turn on? I have had a similar issue and was assuming all along the remote was somehow eating batteries. So replacing them with new seems to fix the problem. My son swears the light does not come on during a button press when this occurs but the TV is on a porch so the natural light might be obfuscating the light.

When you have this happen does pulling and reseating the batteries establish the connection again?

My Mini is inches away from an access point so I am thinking maybe I have the same issue you do.

haggis444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #30
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis444 View Post
Probably a dumb question, when this happens does the light on your remote turn on? I have had a similar issue and was assuming all along the remote was somehow eating batteries. So replacing them with new seems to fix the problem. My son swears the light does not come on during a button press when this occurs but the TV is on a porch so the natural light might be obfuscating the light.

When you have this happen does pulling and reseating the batteries establish the connection again?

My Mini is inches away from an access point so I am thinking maybe I have the same issue you do.
Make life simpler: Don't guess at battery health -- use either voltmeter or a battery tester, both available for under $10 on Amazon.

For a voltmeter, search "multimeter" in all departments. Or search "battery tester" in all departments.

Battery testers (e.g., D-Fantix BT168D) have two advantages over voltage measurements: (1) easier to connect to battery and (2) they test under load, I.e. drawing some current (which voltmeters don't do).

I use a voltmeter. Alkaline AA cells measure about 1.6V when fresh and the last time I replaced them in my Roamio RF remote they were down to 1.17V. Other electronic items may work well down to 1V or may need 1.3V -- varies with the device.

Voltages will measure lower in the battery tester, especially for depleted batteries and you will actually see the voltage falling as you keep the tester connected.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote