TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Big Grin TiVo Mini v2 is now on TiVo Store

The new version of the TiVo Mini is now on the TiVo Store.

It looks like the only change is that it comes with an RF remote like the Roamio. They also moved the "TiVo Mini" writing on the front from the left to the center.

Still $149.99 with free lifetime service until May 4, 2015.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini Front_logo_centered_0.jpg (27.8 KB, 978 views)

Last edited by Arcady; 02-03-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Good catch. People could definitely miss it.

This appears in the FAQ section, confirming the remote that is otherwise unmentioned:

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 02-03-2015 at 05:04 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
adamwsh

Ugh! I literally just ordered one from them last week and received it yesterday. It must be v1 because the logo is on the left. I would think there must be technical differences between them other than the location of the name, and the remote. Right? Anyone know if there are other differences?

TiVo Mini (2015)
Previously owned:
Tivo Series2 (2003, died)
Humax Series2 with DVD Writer (2005, sold)
TiVoHD (2008, died)
TiVoHD XL (2010, died)
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

personally, I would return it.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
adamwsh

According to a Tivo rep I just chatted with, it is the same device, except for logo placement, and the remote is the same one that has been shipping with it since it was introduced.

TiVo Mini (2015)
Previously owned:
Tivo Series2 (2003, died)
Humax Series2 with DVD Writer (2005, sold)
TiVoHD (2008, died)
TiVoHD XL (2010, died)
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

The reps haven't been educated yet.

Other than the RF remote, it appears to be the same thing. The motherboard was redesigned (cost saving move?) but there haven't been any peeps about a performance boost or anything yet.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

This is good to know... Funny, I just purchased a new Slide remote w/RF dongle yesterday. My Mini remote doesn't have a back button and that is annoying when using all the great new apps.

I plan to use the older Roamio remote paired to the Mini / RF dongle and the new Slide Remote with Roamio in the living room.

I still think I will pick up a second Mini before the May 4th deadline.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Hmmm. I am inside my 30 days. RF is nice. Probably not worth the hassle, though.

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
Hmmm. I am inside my 30 days. RF is nice. Probably not worth the hassle, though.
I would say it is - if you use the apps (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, future)

The older Mini IR remote does not have a back button, and that has become pretty integrated into navigation for this new app ecosystem.

If you want the back button you have three options:
  1. Purhchase a Roamio Remote for $30 and use in IR Mode
  2. Purchase a Slide Remote with RF Dongle for $45
  3. Return your Mini and exchange for the new one (Shipping Cost)

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 02-03-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
You could try calling up TiVo and ask for a free Roamio RF remote with the dongle to use with the Mini. If you threaten to return the Mini without it, they might give it to you.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You could try calling up TiVo and ask for a free Roamio RF remote with the dongle.
They might just do that to avoid the restocking headaches... That is a great idea tarheel!

The dongle will work with the standard Roamio remote, so they may try to negotiate you down a little...

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
davezatz
Funkadelic

I just spoke to a TiVo contact in the sales/marketing group. They tell me the Mini is the same, they are just bundling the Roamio RF remote. A reader of my site had an online chat that with an agent who says the remote only works in IR mode with the Mini. So if that's all true, it kind of sucks.

We know a new RF Mini was being worked on given the FCC filing, so are the out of Premiere remotes but haven't cleared all the Mini hardware yet? And maybe TiVo should update their listing that led reasonable people astray.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I just spoke to a TiVo contact in the sales/marketing group. They tell me the Mini is the same, they are just bundling the Roamio RF remote. A reader of my site had an online chat that with an agent who says the remote only works in IR mode with the Mini. So if that's all true, it kind of sucks.

We know a new RF Mini was being worked on given the FCC filing, so are the out of Premiere remotes but haven't cleared all the Mini hardware yet? And maybe TiVo should update their listing that led reasonable people astray.
TiVo's CSRs have a history of making incorrect statements. It seems unlikely to me that the RF remote can only be used in IR mode with the new Mini, since the TiVo website says the new Mini comes with "1 standard TiVo Roamio RF remote" with no qualification that you can't use the RF remote as an RF remote. I thank that would be a very deceptive statement if you could only use the RF remote in IR mode.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
It seems unlikely to me that the RF remote can only be used in IR mode with the new Mini, since the TiVo website says the new Mini comes with "1 standard TiVo Roamio RF remote". That would be a very deceptive statement if you could only use the RF remote in IR mode.
Yeah, I'm not feeling good about any of it. I almost don't want to believe the two TiVo employees and see for myself. But we have seen similar web marketing mishaps before - remember how the Roamio OTA did/did't work with Minis and did/didn't offer Lifetime?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The reason I noticed the new Mini is because TiVo took down their whole online store last night. They went through the trouble to change the graphic for the Mini on several pages of the site, including the store menu. The box with the logo in the center matches the leaked FCC pictures we already saw, so I'm going to assume this is the hardware with the RF receiver in it.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I'm going to assume this is the hardware with the RF receiver in it.
Which brave sould will make a purchase and confirm for us? If it was just the CSR, I would have come to the same conclusion as you. But the guy I called in Alviso (verus outsourced, remote support agent) should know the answer given his role. :/

Old 02-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not feeling good about any of it. I almost don't want to believe the two TiVo employees and see for myself. But we have seen similar web marketing mishaps before - remember how the Roamio OTA did/did't work with Minis and did/didn't offer Lifetime?
I "almost" do believe it... With the new apps the Back button has become pretty important. And if they haven't integrated RF into the new Mini yet, it makes sense that they would simply start shipping with the standard Roamio remote.

Both for inventory and functionality reasons. That said, you would think they would at least include the RF dongle.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

I bought my mini at Best Buy. I see a store near me has stock again. Do we know if there would be a way to tell by the box? I'll go check it out on my lunch break and see what they have there. I wonder if they would update the photos on the new boxes?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I bought my mini at Best Buy. I see a store near me has stock again. Do we know if there would be a way to tell by the box? I'll go check it out on my lunch break and see what they have there. I wonder if they would update the photos on the new boxes?
The original mini was model TCDA92000. The new one is supposed to be model TCDA93000.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The original mini was model TCDA92000. The new one is supposed to be model TCDA93000.
Then Best Buy still has the old ones. I suppose they have a warehouse of inventory to sell through first before they stock the RF ones.

I'll try calling TiVo. Can't imagine I will get too far, but worth a shot.

I haven't played around with any of the apps. Can someone elaborate on the back button? (or should I start a new thread for that?)

Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #21
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I haven't played around with any of the apps. Can someone elaborate on the back button? (or should I start a new thread for that?)
I think the instant replay button on the remote will perform the same function as the back button in the apps, so you are able to work around not having a back button on the Premiere remote.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #22
Random User 7
Incognito

Let the price drops begin on the old style.

edit

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-02/tivo...ith-rf-remote/

Quote:
UPDATE! TiVo has informed me that this is NOT a new Mini. They have merely bundled the Roamio RF/IR remote with the existing Mini hardware. Therefore, as the support transcript in the comments below indicates, the updated remote will only work in IR mode. So please go cancel your orders and let’s hope whenever new Mini hardware really hits, it also possesses WiFi. Original article follows.

Last edited by Random User 7; 02-03-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Think the price will drop? Seems like a pretty quiet change to me. I'll bet they hope the average user has no clue.

If the price of the "old" one goes under $100, I'd spring for one more, especially with lifetime service.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #24
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Think the price will drop? Seems like a pretty quiet change to me. I'll bet they hope the average user has no clue.

If the price of the "old" one goes under $100, I'd spring for one more, especially with lifetime service.
I agree that TiVo seems to be keeping this pretty quiet and is downplaying the differences between the two models. I will be interested to hear from someone who buys one of these Minis from TiVo as to whether or not they actually have RF built in. My guess is that they really do, but TiVo has told the CSRs to say they don't in order to try to keep the retail prices of the old units from dropping.

It seems silly that they would include an RF remote without the ability to use it in RF mode. And the only change they make to the Mini itself is the placement of the "TiVo Mini" text from off-center to center? It just seems too incredible to believe.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #25
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
It seems silly that they would include an RF remote without the ability to use it in RF mode. And the only change they make to the Mini itself is the placement of the "TiVo Mini" text from off-center to center? It just seems too incredible to believe.
From a manufacturing standpoint, it is probably cheaper for them to manufacture and ship one remote, so I guess that makes a little sense to me. Moving the location of the text is what bothers me the most. I'm no expert in product manufacturing, but I would think that move costs some money. Why do it?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
From a manufacturing standpoint, it is probably cheaper for them to manufacture and ship one remote, so I guess that makes a little sense to me. Moving the location of the text is what bothers me the most. I'm no expert in product manufacturing, but I would think that move costs some money. Why do it?
Exactly. I can't believe they would go through the trouble of moving the text on the exterior of the box unless they were actually changing something else inside the box.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #27
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Exactly. I can't believe they would go through the trouble of moving the text on the exterior of the box unless they were actually changing something else inside the box.
Unless they've updated the the enclosures and product packaging, but are done with Premiere-style remote and still have original Mini board inventory that they need to unload. TiVo works in mysterious ways.

As a reminder, a source originally told me they were targeting March for an RF Mini and then the promotional pricing was bumped out to May. Who knows how or if these things are play, but fyi.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
As a reminder, a source originally told me they were targeting March for an RF Mini and then the promotional pricing was bumped out to May. Who knows how or if these things are play, but fyi.
Are you thinking the $149.99 w/ Free Lifetime goes away once they are ready to ship Minis with RF capabilities, then?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Are you thinking the $149.99 w/ Free Lifetime goes away once they are ready to ship Minis with RF capabilities, then?
I don't think the two are related, but I don't have any intel one way or another and put that variable out there as a public service. Now if a new Mini had other features, like a faster processor or WiFi (which has not shown up in FCC filing), I could see the price bumping up. TiVo is obviously is keeping their options open by giving the pricing a (revised) end date.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #30
leo38cheng

any advice would be appreciated: I have a local retailer willing to sell me the old tivo mini for $120(tax included) --- should I pick those up --- or should I buy the the newer ones? What's the difference besides the remote?

Thanks!

leo38cheng is offline   Reply With Quote