TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
A.VOID

Cable Company & Whole Home DVR

If my cable company had whole home DVR installed at my home once before, is it safe to assume that MoCa will be troublefree to activate?

A.VOID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
joewom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID View Post
If my cable company had whole home DVR installed at my home once before, is it safe to assume that MoCa will be troublefree to activate?
You can assume MOCA will work on your COAX. But your post is vague. So you would need to provide more info on things like tivos you have or will have to let you know if you will need additional equip for moca. As most likely the whole house DVR created the MOCA network that I will assume will not be there anymore.

Mini X6 - Lifetime
joewom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
bmille05

What equipment is currently installed at your house? Need more details please.

bmille05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID View Post
Probably. Most cable company solutions use MoCa to communicate between the main DVR and the extenders. Although I think there are a couple that use wifi, so it's possible, although unlikely, you had one of those.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
fcfc2

Hi,
The only thing you know for certain is that the cabling is likely to be compatible with a new MoCA setup. What you need to know is if the MoCA POE / Whole Home Filter is still in place on the main feed. Another thing is if your cable modem is MoCA compatible or not. Some Arris/Motorola's have a MoCA filter builtin, if your's doesn't have the filter, you may need to install one on it.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
Bigg

Pretty much any coax and splitters will work with MoCA. So that has little to do with anything, but yes, it should work fine regardless.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
A.VOID

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
The only thing you know for certain is that the cabling is likely to be compatible with a new MoCA setup. What you need to know is if the MoCA POE / Whole Home Filter is still in place on the main feed. Another thing is if your cable modem is MoCA compatible or not. Some Arris/Motorola's have a MoCA filter builtin, if your's doesn't have the filter, you may need to install one on it.
So I have an sb6141 modem that had the filter built in. Do I Need another poe filter on the TV split?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
fcfc2

You should check the main feed coming into your house to see if there is a filter already installed. Normally, it will be placed just before or on the input for the first splitter coming into your home. The POE / WHDVR filters used to be hard to find and relatively expensive but now they are readily available on Ebay and fairly cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-MoC...item2344277b9c
Here is a link which has a lot of valuable MoCA information.
http://www.arrisi.com/dig_lib/white_...leshooting.pdf

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
You may need a POE filter installed on the back of your Tuning Adapter if you have one and it's made by Cisco. Apparently the MoCa signal can mess with some Cisco TAs so you need to install a POE filter to make it work. But in most cases you only need one where the cable enters the house to prevent the MoCa signal from being broadcast to your neighbors.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
A.VOID

I'm fortunate to live in TWC area without TA's

I ordered the PoE filter and I will add to the main line. I assume this won't have any impact on my cable modem functinoality.

Thanks all!