TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
stoli412

Transfer hard drive to new TiVo?

I'm upgrading from a Premiere to a Premiere 4. Is it possible to transfer or clone my hard drive and put it in the new TiVo so I don't lose all my recordings and thumbs info? I'm pretty comfortable with cloning/upgrading a hard drive for use in the same TiVo, but I've never needed to transfer one to a new TiVo.

Specifically I have a Premiere with a self-upgraded 1 TB drive, and I'm upgrading to a Premiere 4 along with a new 2 TB drive. So I've got a lot of things going on and not sure what's possible and in what order things need to be done. Any help is appreciated!
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, you cannot move a drive from any Tivo to another and preserve recordings. When you install a drive that is from another Tivo, you have to run Clear & Delete Everything to marry the Tivo to the drive.

You can, however, transfer the recordings (as long as its not copy protected) to the new Tivo, after its been subscribed (both need to be subscribed) and Transfers allowed under DVR Preferences (can take up to 24 hrs to activate).
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
stoli412

Thanks for the reply. That's what I feared. I just wish TiVo would provide a way to at least transfer season passes and years of thumbs data.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can on tivo.com, after you have logged in, there is a season pass manager.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
stoli412

Oh wow! I have NEVER seen that season pass transfer feature before! Thanks...at least that's something.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
unitron

For those recordings not sabotaged by the anti-copy bit, if you transfer (copy, actually, the original remains on the source TiVo as long as it would otherwise) from source TiVo to PC (with the free version of TiVo Desktop, at least, others can chime in about the other 3rd party open source stuff), more of the metadata is preserved when you then copy from PC to target TiVo than if you go straight from TiVo to TiVo.

Stuff like the actual date the recording was made rather than the date the copying was done.

Before I knew that I went TiVo to TiVo and wound up with about a month's worth of Charlie Rose episodes which now all have the same date.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Soapm

What would be nice is if you could just clone the MFS partitions to the new drive.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
What would be nice is if you could just clone the MFS partitions to the new drive.
Have you ever tried?

As long as the partition map is the same, unexpanded or expanded exactly the same, you should be able to "Xerox" individual partitions and overwrite, like

dd_rescue /dev/sda11 /dev/sdb11

Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you ever tried?

As long as the partition map is the same, unexpanded or expanded exactly the same, you should be able to "Xerox" individual partitions and overwrite, like

dd_rescue /dev/sda11 /dev/sdb11
I'm no technical expert but if I recall partition 10 has some identifying information and would be the critical partition to make this work since I believe it knows where the recordings are but it also has the TSN etc... It would be nice if I'm wrong.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
ggieseke

In this case the encryption would make them unplayable anyway.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I'm no technical expert but if I recall partition 10 has some identifying information and would be the critical partition to make this work since I believe it knows where the recordings are but it also has the TSN etc... It would be nice if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
In this case the encryption would make them unplayable anyway.
I believe you all are correct. One could try and see what the outcome would be. Depending on how each instance how the tsn is encoded, one might be able to use a hex editor and do a search for the old tsn and replace it with the new tsn. I do know that there are many instances of the tsn in plain text. I do not know if it is encoded any differently. One could try and the only thing that would be lost is time. Of course only work on a copy of the drive when doing this and not the original. Would have to copy both MFS app and media partitions to make it work.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
When you install a drive that is from another Tivo, you have to run Clear & Delete Everything to marry the Tivo to the drive.
From all the reading I have done, I had the impression you can't just xfer a drive to another TiVo since the drive is married to the MB and would/could problems with the 2nd machine.

If I may ask, do you have a source for this?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
From all the reading I have done, I had the impression you can't just xfer a drive to another TiVo since the drive is married to the MB and would/could problems with the 2nd machine.

If I may ask, do you have a source for this?
Each TiVo motherboard has a TiVo Service Number.

That's the number to which the account/subscription status is attached in the TiVo, Inc., databases, and that's the number to which recordings made on that machine are tied.

If you put an image from a different TiVo of the same model on a drive, it has the old machine's TSN stored in there somewhere, and if you boot the drive in a new machine, it sees the mismatch and throws an error 51 and wants to do a Clear and Delete Everything and re-run Guided Setup.

If you just pull a drive from another TiVo of the same model, same thing in a different TiVo, but any recordings on the drive (which are tied to the old machine's TSN) get wiped so that when all the dust settles, there's nothing in the Now Playing List anymore.