TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
MgoBlue65

Dolby Digital ?'s

I'm in the first few days with my Roamio Pro and cable (first time TiVO owner), overall I'm really liking it but have discovered a major issue.

Can someone tell me how in the hell while using Dolby Digital, to get the sound not to take so damn long to come back on after fast forwarding and using the 30 sec skip?

I run everything into my Lumagen XS-3D video processor (HDMI 1.4 compliant) and then one of the HDMI outs into my Yamaha receiver (handles all Dolby/DTS 5.1 formats except Atmos)for audio.

Now, to save someone the embarrasment of saying 'it's probably that processor causing the problems', it's not. Using the processor and rcvr with my DTV Genie, as soon as the play starts after FF the 5.1 is back, Tivo it's about 2.5 seconds. Now, my testing on the Roamio Pro revealed that when using the slo-mo play button with DD on and then pushing play the sound returns immediately so the hardware can handle it.

That audio delay after clearing commercials will be a major no go for the wife once she get's back from visiting relatives so I have to get this fixed (actually TiVO needs to get this fixed ASAP) and I won't watch stuff in 2ch PCM.

I need a workaround using either the TiVO remote or my Harmony One remote to switch from PCM mode to DD from within any activity or app without going all the way back into the damn TiVO sub menu.

Last edited by MgoBlue65; 12-31-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
MgoBlue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
HerronScott

I'm not seeing (hearing?) this problem but I'm feeding audio to my receiver from the Roamio through a Toslink connection. Does your receiver have a Toslink input to test? This could at least be a workaround for you.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
MgoBlue65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'm not seeing (hearing?) this problem but I'm feeding audio to my receiver from the Roamio through a Toslink connection. Does your receiver have a Toslink input to test? This could at least be a workaround for you.

Scott
Coax digital only is available out from the Lumagen and in on the Yamaha rcvr but I don't believe it supports DD+ over that connection, I'll have to see.

Soooooooo, is there ANY way to change the audio out quickly via either one of my remotes without going into that TiVO setting menu?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgoBlue65 View Post
Coax digital only is available out from the Lumagen and in on the Yamaha rcvr but I don't believe it supports DD+ over that connection, I'll have to see.

Soooooooo, is there ANY way to change the audio out quickly via either one of my remotes without going into that TiVO setting menu?
The other option would be direct from the TiVo to the receiver. No idea on your other question/workaround on changing the audio.

Scott

S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
MgoBlue65

Quote:
The other option would be direct from the TiVo to the receiver. No idea on your other question/workaround on changing the audio.

Scott
Thanks, but that option is out of the question. I'll call TiVO on Monday to see what kind of answers I get but based on my brief experiences with them so far I'm not holding out much hope.

I realize most folks don't have a Lumagen, but I'd like to hear from owners that do run their Roamio Pro via HDMI through their AVR see if they're experiencing the same issue as me.

Last edited by MgoBlue65; 01-01-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
TonyD79

Can you bypass it just for a test?

I don't have roamio but a Bolt and see quick response from trick play. I just compared it to my genie and they acted the same.

It sounds like the handshake between your processor and the TiVo is the problem. Could be either device, actually, as there is no guarantee that any of the companies involved did or did not follow the specs perfectly. I've seen mistakes by two companies cover up problems. Heck, directv fixed a mistake in their spec and it messed up my AVR graphics until I got an update from Yamaha.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
MgoBlue65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Can you bypass it just for a test?

I don't have roamio but a Bolt and see quick response from trick play. I just compared it to my genie and they acted the same.

It sounds like the handshake between your processor and the TiVo is the problem. Could be either device, actually, as there is no guarantee that any of the companies involved did or did not follow the specs perfectly. I've seen mistakes by two companies cover up problems. Heck, directv fixed a mistake in their spec and it messed up my AVR graphics until I got an update from Yamaha.
Bypass, could I-Yes, will I-No.

No kidding it's a HDMI handshake issue, however I don't have this issue with ANY other source device after fast forwarding (and skip in the case of the DTV Genie). As I already noted, when I'm watching a program in DD and I press slo-mo on the TiVO remote, the multi speaker display on the AVR disappears as it should since it's not receiving any audio signal since the TiVO isn't outputting any. Once I press play on the TiVO remote while in slo-play, DD audio returns instantly along with normal video, please re-read that last sentence, it's not the VP. Same box, same software and there's a 2.5 sec delay when returning to play from FF or 30 Skip. With PCM, audio works perfect during all trick play.

This is strictly a TiVO/DD issue and I hope someone from TiVO chimes in here. Also, this is NOT a TiVO bash but I paid good money like the rest of you and I expect what I paid for to work, nothing more, nothing less. I'm surprised this was not discovered/fixed during the beta testing.

Also, since no one's replied in the affirmative, I guess that we're screwed for a quick audio format change w/o going into the menu, that's unfortunate.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
PSU_Sudzi

Quote:
I'm in the first few days with my Roamio Pro and cable (first time TiVO owner), overall I'm really liking it but have discovered a major issue.

Can someone tell me how in the hell while using Dolby Digital, to get the sound not to take so damn long to come back on after fast forwarding and using the 30 sec skip?

I run everything into my Lumagen XS-3D video processor (HDMI 1.4 compliant) and then one of the HDMI outs into my Yamaha receiver (handles all Dolby/DTS 5.1 formats except Atmos)for audio.

Now, to save someone the embarrasment of saying 'it's probably that processor causing the problems', it's not. Using the processor and rcvr with my DTV Genie, as soon as the play starts after FF the 5.1 is back, Tivo it's about 2.5 seconds. Now, my testing on the Roamio Pro revealed that when using the slo-mo play button with DD on and then pushing play the sound returns immediately so the hardware can handle it.

That audio delay after clearing commercials will be a major no go for the wife once she get's back from visiting relatives so I have to get this fixed (actually TiVO needs to get this fixed ASAP) and I won't watch stuff in 2ch PCM.

I need a workaround using either the TiVO remote or my Harmony One remote to switch from PCM mode to DD from within any activity or app without going all the way back into the damn TiVO sub menu.
TiVo is not going to fix this quick just because your wife is coming back from vacation, lmao!

PSU_Sudzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
TonyD79

And any help from them will probably include a bypass test to make sure your TiVo is not damaged in any way.

Just standard testing. Without that test, you are assuming a design flaw rather than a specific instance problem.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

Your unwillingness to even try something as a test doesn't bode well for people wanting to help you. There are a lot of great people here who like to assist, but if you're going to assume you already know the answer and are smarter than combined thousands of hours of experience, why should anyone bother.

Good luck with your wife.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
MgoBlue65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_Sudzi View Post
TiVo is not going to fix this quick just because your wife is coming back from vacation, lmao!
Thanks for confirming it's a TiVO issue.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
MgoBlue65

Quote:

Scott

Just to satisfy everyone I bypassed the Lumagen and went HDMI direct to the rcvr. All of the anomolies that existed going through the Lumagen are still there. So I took Scott's advice and went from the TiVO to the Lumagen with Toslink and then coax digital to the rcvr and the issues are gone. I'll lose any sound format beyond plain 5.1 DD so this is a temp workaround until TiVO fixes it.

Further research on this forum reveals that I'm not alone with the same exact HDMI issues. Most posters reported these issues after the 20.5.6 update so clearly TiVO caused this issue, and more importantly it's good to know I was correct that it isn't my equipment!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Eskimo2

Isn't the typical point of insertion of a video processor as the last link before the display? Or perhaps you're using it as an HDMI switcher as well as a video processor?

Not that it would fix the DD issue, but it was interesting to me.

Eskimo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
TonyD79

Quote:
Just to satisfy everyone I bypassed the Lumagen and went HDMI direct to the rcvr. All of the anomolies that existed going through the Lumagen are still there. So I took Scott's advice and went from the TiVO to the Lumagen with Toslink and then coax digital to the rcvr and the issues are gone. I'll lose any sound format beyond plain 5.1 DD so this is a temp workaround until TiVO fixes it. Further research on this forum reveals that I'm not alone with the same exact HDMI issues. Most posters reported these issues after the 20.5.6 update so clearly TiVO caused this issue, and more importantly it's good to know I was correct that it isn't my equipment!
Good that you did the testing. Will be easier when you talk to TiVo. You may be able to get on the early end of the next release.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
HerronScott

Quote:
Just to satisfy everyone I bypassed the Lumagen and went HDMI direct to the rcvr. All of the anomolies that existed going through the Lumagen are still there. So I took Scott's advice and went from the TiVO to the Lumagen with Toslink and then coax digital to the rcvr and the issues are gone. I'll lose any sound format beyond plain 5.1 DD so this is a temp workaround until TiVO fixes it.
!
What sources from the TiVo would provide more than DD 5.1 or is that from other sources that you are feeding through your Lumagen (Blu-Ray?)?

Scott

S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
What sources from the TiVo would provide more than DD 5.1 or is that from other sources that you are feeding through your Lumagen (Blu-Ray?)?

Scott
CNN supplies DD EX. Amazon and (I think) Netflix supply DD+.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
MgoBlue65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo2 View Post
Isn't the typical point of insertion of a video processor as the last link before the display? Or perhaps you're using it as an HDMI switcher as well as a video processor?

Not that it would fix the DD issue, but it was interesting to me.
It is. It's designed as a central hub for ALL audio/video sources and it has two HDMI outs, one to the display and one to the audio system. It's designed that way to utilize with a projector that doesn't do audio. As I confirmed it's an HDMI issue most likely introduced with the latest software update.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
timstack8969

As noted on my other thread I've been having a problem with Vizio sound bar when fast forwarding through commercials using my Tivo Premiere. I have the optical cable hooked from sound bar to TV for Dolby Digital on TV and PS3 and lose Dolby Digital at some point. Is there a another way to hook this up? or is an HDMI problem with all Tivo's?

timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #19
MgoBlue65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
CNN supplies DD EX. Amazon and (I think) Netflix supply DD+.
By testing out your reply I solved a workaround using the awesome Lumagen. First, both Amazon and Netflix put out DD+, confirmed by the surround decoder display on the rcvr using the HDMI input which led me to my eureka moment.

I have 4 MEM buttons (A-D) on the Lumagen remote so I went into the setup menu and assigned the optical audio for MEM A (which will be used for cable tv viewing) and then assigned the HDMI audio for MEM B. When I view anything from Amazon or Netflix I'll use MEM B to get DD+ and since I don't use trick play for the stuff I watch streaming.

MY problem is solved with a quick workaround while still enjoying the best features from each setting, however the problem still exists for those that don't have a VP like a Lumagen.

Thanks to those of you that provided productive replies.