Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I bet they give them the opportunity to "win" new food. Or trade for it like they did one other season when food grew short.
since everything is on camera they can get a good estimate of the volume of food plus i think even the other tribe would have to agree that they deserve a bit more for their 'trouble'

i only FF thru most of these shows but dang i'm glad i stopped when he stepped out of line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #62
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
He also might have done something "crazy" during the challenge.
Sit him out during the challenge.

Quote:
I've been around a cancer like him and you would do ANYTHING just to have them gone....Like the one lady said (carol?) "This has taken me out of the game".
Then he should have been removed from the game and let the challenge go on.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #63
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Explain. I'm not sure it's any safer being in torrential wind swept rain than in a cool night in say Rocky Mountain National park in July.
I was going to stay quiet on this because I don't have anything concrete to site as my basis (and one other point I will get to below), but my understanding is they don't actually film this in the US for reasons of regulations/legallities they would then have to follow or be extremely cautious of or some such thing (possibly making things cost-prohibitive).

My other point - I know they could probably find other locales besides tropical islands where the climate is more rugged than tropical, but I don't think there are nearly as many options for those types of places that aren't parts of major countries that they would have to deal with.

I am not well versed in geology or the law, and I'm sure that's very apparent in what I had posted.

Flame away!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I was going to stay quiet on this because I don't have anything concrete to site as my basis (and one other point I will get to below), but my understanding is they don't actually film this in the US for reasons of regulations/legallities they would then have to follow or be extremely cautious of or some such thing (possibly making things cost-prohibitive).

My other point - I know they could probably find other locales besides tropical islands where the climate is more rugged than tropical, but I don't think there are nearly as many options for those types of places that aren't parts of major countries that they would have to deal with.

I am not well versed in geology or the law, and I'm sure that's very apparent in what I had posted.

Flame away!
No flame. I know they would never film in the US. Besides the various laws, they'd have to pay higher scale to the workers. I only used that as an example of a "cold weather" place I've been to that I know is plenty warm during the daytime. But there are plenty of places like that throughout the world they could use, I'm sure.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #65
tiams

Quote:
He also might have done something "crazy" during the challenge.

I've been around a cancer like him and you would do ANYTHING just to have them gone....Like the one lady said (carol?) "This has taken me out of the game".
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Sit him out during the challenge.

Then he should have been removed from the game and let the challenge go on.
The producers would not have allowed him to compete. The Favorites should not have forfeited.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #66
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

They'd ever want to film someplace cold because people would be too inactive. It's one thing to to dedicate 15 minutes of one episode to people huddling in cold rain like in last night's episode. It's another to be stuck with people feeling that way for the entire run of the season.

Extreme heat was a problem they ran into with the Africa season. People just wanted to hang out in the shade and not waste an ounce of energy.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #67
Tracy
Truly

I think it would also hard to identify people when they are bundled up in coats. Also, I'm sure some people enjoy seeing the skin of the beautiful people.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #68
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
I'm guessing (hoping) the food Brandon destroyed was replaced. This was not typical behavior and the tribe was, I think, at risk of some potential violence from this maniac.
When he went after the food, I was expecting a couple of the guys to wrestle him to the ground. Are they not allowed to do that? They have to stand there and try to "reason with him" while he threatens them? Are there security people hanging around all the time, or just camera men?

Quote:
Reynold is becoming a favorite of mine and I'm rooting for him to win.
Whoa, not going that far. He's a really good player, but so annoying. I groaned when he found the second idol.

They should have gone ahead and played the challenge, killed the fans again, and then let them off of tribal and send him home. Destroy their spirit before you give them immunity.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #69
hughmcjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Here is an article from Reality Blurred bashing the way that episode played out:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...-hantz-episode
Bingo!

No surprise here or at other forums after watching the show...I am not defending Brandon, but Its all to easy to jump on the "Brandon is a nutjob" bandwagon. What he did is normal behavior in reaction to a given situation. He hit the wall and anyone is capable of doing the same, anyone without exception. Again ANYONE! In fact the rain was getting to everyone. Phil is an ass and no doubt taunted Brandon. At the immunity challenge as the conversation progressed, Philip couldn't hold his tongue and Jeff let him taunt Brandon. You could see Philip having a breakdown and hitting the wall too... Jeff knew exactly what Phil was doing and he allowed it. If anyone started causing trouble it is Philip, the control freak, but the others let him run with it from the beginning in a sense controlling him. Phil is good at challenges...as far as Phil and Brandon going at it...If I were Phil I would be concerned..and he was, as you could see it in his demeanor..."hiding" behind Corinne and how he was talking. And Jeff...he was holding Brandon back..and he would have done what Philip couldn't. I would put Jeff's strength above both Brandon and Philip. Brandon's choice was simply to not react and take action, but he did the former. Crappy episode. And Reynold finding the idol again? Come on now...we have been here before. Again I want to see statistics of someone finding it more than once, like Russel Hantz did.. and then factor in it has happened how many times?...given environment and others looking for it... it has to be highly unlikely.
And the two women crying...Anger turned inwards...they are depressed and instead of getting angry they cried. It's not easy out there.

Last edited by hughmcjr : 03-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
hughmcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
It also does seem that Jeff has been given a lot of power.
I have heard it said in interviews with Jeff that he is one of the producers or executive producers of the show as a partner with Burnett. So, it's my understanding that he has the authority to make a call like that in the heat of the moment.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #71
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
I have heard it said in interviews with Jeff that he is one of the producers or executive producers of the show as a partner with Burnett. So, it's my understanding that he has the authority to make a call like that in the heat of the moment.
He's basically the showrunner so it's within his power to do almost whatever he wants in that situation.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #72
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
!
isnt that the same reason cruise ships arent registered in the USA? too many rules

!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #73
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I think Brandon's contempt and anger towards Philip is justified and all the others on his tribe feel exactly the same. The only difference is that he (Brandon) has no self-control.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #74
jradosh
Newlywed

All this focus on Brandon... didn't anyone notice (or care about) Brenda's obvious limping around at the reward challenge? Or her poorly disguised knee brace at the aborted reward challenge?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg survivor.jpg (214.8 KB, 235 views)

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #75
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Honestly, I did not notice it at all. And God knows I look at Brenda any chance I get. Not her knees, mind you...
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #76
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

did the reward challenge include a grill top? cause I could swear they were cooking the steaks on one.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #77
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Honestly, I did not notice it at all. And God knows I look at Brenda any chance I get. Not her knees, mind you...
They are too sharp?

I did not notice Brenda limping or the disguised knee brace either until someone else mentioned it the other day earlier in the thread.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #78
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I did not notice Brenda limping or the disguised knee brace either until someone else mentioned it the other day earlier in the thread.
That was me yesterday. If you rewatch the reward challenge, it's REALLY obvious something's wrong. Hopefully she (and her sharp knees ) stick around for a while.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #79
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Did they ever show the tribe drinking the wine? Could any of Brandon's blow-up been caused by a little (or a lot of) vino? I wonder if that was strategically edited out.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #80
dirtypacman
Coming and going

That was an interesting episode for sure. I was glad to see Brandon go as he was obviously a complete mental case. I don't give him or the producers any excuses - he has been on the show before and was loopy, he knew what he was coming back to and can't handle the pressure of the game. I don't think I would go as far as saying anybody was in any danger but I think the producers knew they were dangling from a thin string keeping him on the show. I believe the producers knew it was going to play out that way at the challenge and were prepared for it.

Philip has become one of my favorite players on the favorites this year now. I really really disliked him previously but he has grown on me. His efforts in the challenges have almost single handily kept the favorites on a winning path. Between his efforts and toned down personality this year (editing) he has been entertaining.

I could barely handle watching Dawn and her facial expressions during the challenge tribal council. This lady is almost on the brink of a break down herself. I actually enjoyed watching her in the past season but this season from the little I have seen with her interactions has gotten underneath my skin.

Jeff needs to just cut the touchy feely crap.... its not the first time and its becoming tradition to see him get all up on someone when they get it rough in the game. As others have stated I would love to see him replaced and get a fresh face into the game. I like the idea of doing Survivor "Old School" and take all the rules from season 1 and 2 and stick to them.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #81
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

The producers would not have allowed him to compete. The Favorites should not have forfeited.
You keep saying this as if you have some inside info about what the producers would have done. I don't think you're right. I think the producers would have loved to film as much drama as they possibly could.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #82
newsposter
Poster of News

the camera following him in back of the challenge was interesting. i think it's the first time i've seen a shot like that on this show..i thikn the camera was wet and defintely not as smooth as other shots, even through rough terrain.

i wonder if we will get some new rule regarding forfeiting? like you lose 2 members. but you cant force someone to do something so they would just stand there or play so bad as to lose. would be lame to watch.

!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #83
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
You keep saying this as if you have some inside info about what the producers would have done. I don't think you're right. I think the producers would have loved to film as much drama as they possibly could.
Yes, they love drama. But Brandon was a physical danger and they would not have let him remain in the camp. On all reality shows, as soon as a contestant becomes a threat to the safety of others they are removed. Lawyers trump producers.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #84
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

it makes no sense to speculate on what the producers would have done. We know exactly what they would have done because they were there and did it!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #85
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
it makes no sense to speculate on what the producers would have done. We know exactly what they would have done because they were there and did it!
Yep. We know they were going to remove him from the game no matter what, so the Favorites made a mistake in forfeiting.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #86
ireland967

There were a few moments, both in camp and at the immunity challenge before Jeff pulled Brandon away, where it looked like things could really have gotten physical quickly. It didn't seem like there were people there ready to step in, I was a bit surprised things got as far as they did.

As mentioned earlier it could be the editing, but Phil doesn't grate on me nearly as much as he did the first time around. While he definitely poked the bear, I thought he was pretty responsible walking away from the scene with Brandon at camp, and being clear at the challenge that he wasn't taking things physical.
ireland967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #87
newsposter
Poster of News

i didnt watch the camp fight, did phil just not talk to him? i found thats the number 1 hardest thign in life to do but THE most effective, just ignore someone until they get tired of hearing themselves talk.

works in real life even

!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #88
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I don't know. It looked to me like Phil talked a tough game and then ran away - to quote Brandon - like a bi**h when confronted.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #89
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland967 View Post
It didn't seem like there were people there ready to step in, I was a bit surprised things got as far as they did.
I wouldn't doubt there were very large security people just out of the shot in addition to the large number of people in the rest of the crew.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #90
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I really hope Brandon gets the help he needs. Going on the show again only made matters worse. I have no doubts he played up his "I'm a new man" or "I want to prove myself" bits to casting and the psych test beforehand so I really don't think they thought it would get this bad.

He also likely won't be helped much by his family considering how they acted the last time he was on the show.