TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
tiams

The Americans S1E7 Duty and Honor OAD 3/13/13

How can Stan be so stupid? He knows why Nina slept with the Rezident, but he doesn't realize she is doing the same to him? She is doing it to protect herself and for leverage but stupid Stan is smitten.

This episode took place 8 months after the last episode but Granny was still bruised.

I think Philip had sex with Irina to provide evidence she was raped by the Polish Liberation guy, so although the sex was part of the mission, I don't think it was the only reason.
Was DNA matching a part of rape kits in 1981?

I was surprised Elizabeth knew about Philip and Irina's romantic past. I thought they were not supposed to talk about their past lives.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
jr461

I think I missed that this took place 8 months later. Are you sure about that? If so, the bruising is ridiculous.

Overall it was just an OK episode for me. Setting up repercussions for Stan's actions no doubt but generally slow for me.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

"I'm sorry I didn't kill you"
"Better luck next time..."

A work friend and I were discussing this ep-do we think that the son is really Phillip's? I mean, she does lie for a living....or is he real at all?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Elisabeth always dressing up in different looks is HAWT

She is so bad ass. Love it.

Maybe time for another Golden Globe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
"I'm sorry I didn't kill you"
"Better luck next time..."

A work friend and I were discussing this ep-do we think that the son is really Phillip's? I mean, she does lie for a living....or is he real at all?
I say not real. Since Phillip didn't believe it, I don't either.
Also, she may have been another way the KGB was testing Phillip's propensity to defect. Would he run off with her or remain true to his duty?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
VegasVic
Craps Player

I like this show. Yeah Stan is an idiot but he isn't the first, nor the last, man to think with his little head instead of his big head.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I say not real. Since Phillip didn't believe it, I don't either.
Also, she may have been another way the KGB was testing Phillip's propensity to defect. Would he run off with her or remain true to his duty?
I had the same thought. Of course if he doesn't turn Irina in, and she was probing his loyalty, that could almost offset the fact that he wasn't willing to run with her.

The KGB isn't likely big on valuing personal loyalty over reporting security risks.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I had the same thought. Of course if he doesn't turn Irina in, and she was probing his loyalty, that could almost offset the fact that he wasn't willing to run with her.

The KGB isn't likely big on valuing personal loyalty over reporting security risks.
true
Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Craigbob

Quote:
How can Stan be so stupid? He knows why Nina slept with the Rezident, but he doesn't realize she is doing the same to him? She is doing it to protect herself and for leverage but stupid Stan is smitten.

This episode took place 8 months after the last episode but Granny was still bruised.

I think Philip had sex with Irina to provide evidence she was raped by the Polish Liberation guy, so although the sex was part of the mission, I don't think it was the only reason.
Was DNA matching a part of rape kits in 1981?

I was surprised Elizabeth knew about Philip and Irina's romantic past. I thought they were not supposed to talk about their past lives.
I also thought the Stan/Irina hookup stupid on his part. Understandable but stupid.

Stan is smitten with Irina, but at the same time is also very withdrawn from his wife/family. I think his being deep undercover for so long has a lot to do with it.

DNA matching was available in '81. The discoveries that led to it 1st came about in '86.

While they are not supposed to discuss past lives, they have done so previously so it is not a suprise that she knew.

I don't think this took place 8 months later, at most a week or two.

This is one of my favorite shows right now.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
DNA matching was available in '81. The discoveries that led to it 1st came about in '86.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
It's a wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing.

Or a typo. Sometimes they're hard to distinguish.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
marksman
ID-10-T

I think turning people with sex is a well worn spy precept and one they clearly use a great deal here so Stan getting some familiar strange didn't bother me.

As for the son it was a nice twist, I didn't give it a second thought and believed it legit and then the goodbye I knew it was a ruse.

Felicity is an awesome bad ass and looked good in her blue nightie.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...This episode took place 8 months after the last episode but Granny was still bruised...
I saw and heard NO evidence this episode was eight months after the previous one. I seem to recall is was cold in the last ep, and it was cold in this ep. But I was surprised Megs didn't have more bruising left from that savage beating...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I saw and heard NO evidence this episode was eight months after the previous one. I seem to recall is was cold in the last ep, and it was cold in this ep. But I was surprised Megs didn't have more bruising left from that savage beating...
Then you aren't paying attention.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
MikeCC
TiVotee

I did not see or hear anything that pointed to an eight month span. And I was paying attention.

In fact, Phillip and Elizabeth's discusson about the possible repercussions of Elizabeth's beatdown of Granny would point to a much much shorter time having lapsed.

Eight weeks? Possibly. Eight months? Less likely.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I did not see or hear anything that pointed to an eight month span. And I was paying attention.

In fact, Phillip and Elizabeth's discusson about the possible repercussions of Elizabeth's beatdown of Granny would point to a much much shorter time having lapsed.

Eight weeks? Possibly. Eight months? Less likely.
8 months.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
8 months.
Can you at least offer something to back that up?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Then you aren't paying attention.
I never said I was...

BTW...is Hank in this thread?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Can you at least offer something to back that up?
This. Emphatically this.

Did you see something that overlaid the scene saying "Eight Months later..."?

Or was there dialog? Who said what to whom? I'm sure with your firm and unwavering conviction, you can help us understand where you came to know it was eight months, and why the rest of us missed that bit of information.

Simply insisting it was eight months without offering the doubters among us any reason to change our minds... well, you know how this thing called the internets work. We will argue... sometimes for the sake of arguing, if an off-topic discussion on another thread is to be believed.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
This. Emphatically this.

Did you see something that overlaid the scene saying "Eight Months later..."?

Or was there dialog? Who said what to whom? I'm sure with your firm and unwavering conviction, you can help us understand where you came to know it was eight months, and why the rest of us missed that bit of information.

Simply insisting it was eight months without offering the doubters among us any reason to change our minds... well, you know how this thing called the internets work. We will argue... sometimes for the sake of arguing, if an off-topic discussion on another thread is to be believed.
I just didn't see the need to argue a fact to people who think that because they missed something it must not have happened. Also, I do know how people love to argue, so I assumed somebody would have jumped in to answer by now. I wasn't stating an opinion I needed to defend.

Anyway, we knew last week's episode occurred in April because the announcer for the baseball game heard in the background made it clear that opening day was the week before. This week we know it is eight months later because Reagan's speech about the situation in Poland occurred on December 23, 1981.

Now I am sure people will find a way to argue and disagree with these facts. Proceed.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, it's possible that it was just a continuity error..which seems likely, since the bruises on the handler's face haven't healed & this seems to be the first time they've met with her since they beat the crap out of her.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, it's possible that it was just a continuity error..which seems likely, since the bruises on the handler's face haven't healed & this seems to be the first time they've met with her since they beat the crap out of her.
Definitely this....no way it was eight months.

.....and we don't "argue".....we discuss. Unless it's Hank and THEN we "argue".
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:

I don't know...Grannie looked awfully GAUNT (or is it GOTH) for being beat up 8 months ago...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #24
tiams

Quote:
Quote:

Two expected examples of people dismissing what I say just for the sake of arguing with me. Go ahead and ignore the fact that the writers intentionally included an event in one episode that happened 8 months after an event they intentionally included in the previous episode.

What you are really doing is trying to explain away why you didn't notice the time jump yourselves.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Two expected examples of people dismissing what I say just for the sake of arguing with me. Go ahead and ignore the fact that the writers intentionally included an event in one episode that happened 8 months after an event they intentionally included in the previous episode.

What you are really doing is trying to explain away why you didn't notice the time jump yourselves.
Well, no...we're pointing out other blatant evidence that it WASN'T eight months. Yes, your observations are valid...but are they relevant? If you're arguing that despite of the actual story continuity the background information is intended to be definitive (thus handlers who only check in with their agents every eight months, facial bruises that last eight months), then you are correct. If, on the other hand, we are to assume that the writers had something different in mind when they had the spy meet with the handler for the first time since the beating with the bruises fresh on her face, then we must assume that the background information was a continuity error.

You were very clever to notice those chronological cues. (Not so clever to deliberately withhold them repeatedly in order to, I don't know, flaunt your sense of smug superiority?) But those cues need to be placed within the context of the actual story, in which they don't hold up.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
....You were very clever to notice those chronological cues. (Not so clever to deliberately withhold them repeatedly in order to, I don't know, flaunt your sense of smug superiority?) But those cues need to be placed within the context of the actual story, in which they don't hold up.
Mostly that...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #28
Cainebj

Quote:
I think you are giving the writers/producers/sound people way too much credit.

"OK we need audio of a Reagan speech - I got one."

Does that mean anyone checked the chronological dates of the story? No.

Do I happen to know the date of that Reagan speech?
No.
Do I care what the date was?
No.

I was caught off guard by the shot of the Twin Towers.
I wonder if it was actual footage or some after effects wizardry.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I didn't realize that "doing a solid" and "getting some strange" were from 1981 and before. They seemed more contemporary phrases than that.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I think you are giving the writers/producers/sound people way too much credit.

"OK we need audio of a Reagan speech - I got one."

Does that mean anyone checked the chronological dates of the story? No.

Do I happen to know the date of that Reagan speech?
No.
Do I care what the date was?
No.

I was caught off guard by the shot of the Twin Towers.
I wonder if it was actual footage or some after effects wizardry.

The possibly obvious point occurred to me that the writers have the luxury of changing history to serve whatever story they want to tell "now." We never saw Phillip look at the picture of his lost love, but now "of course" "Misha" is remembering that because we're about to meet that old flame.

Why would the loan shark give in and "sell" the guy to Elizabeth? After she left he's still afraid she'll go after his privates again? What kind of goon is he?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote