Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #151
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
That's a bad anology. The budget includes salaries. Everyone involved is making a buck. They are not working for free.
My guess is that this will be similar to "Doctor Horrible," in which everyone will make at or as close to scale as permitted by the union, but the contracts will be back-loaded to distribute some of profits (if any) back to the actors, crew, etc. That's the only way I can imagine a motion picture like this can be made for this little.

Scale is about as close to free as possible.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #152
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Update 3 from Rob Thomas:

Quote:
You asked for it, you've got it!

A New York City premiere and after party!

An Austin, Tx Southern Fried Rob Thomas Friends and Family Jubilee and Premiere.

And more spots for extras in a the movie. Now more even more value when you and a friend do it together!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #153
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
That's a bad anology. The budget includes salaries. Everyone involved is making a buck. They are not working for free.
But they are almost certainly working for well under what they could be on a "regular" project -- at least, most certainly, KB, Rob Thomas, and Enrico Colantoni are. And if they bring Amanda Seyfried back, she definitely will be.

And anyway, the point isn't about the actors or the crew. It's about Warner Bros. They own Veronica Mars. They're the ones that need to make money on it, and enough money to make this sort of project worth their bother.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #154
Azlen

Quote:
Warner Brothers has already agreed to foot the bill for this. I am sure they would LOVE to be able to make movies and only have to pay for marketing and distribution. These are not poor companies. They are already among the most profitable companies that exist. They just found a way to become even more profitable. Luckily, this will benefit fans.
That still doesn't mean that one movie ticket sold is profit which was what you originally said. They won't have to pay as much in development, but there will still be a cost that needs to be recouped.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #155
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Update 3 from Rob Thomas:
Heh, people are already buying up the NY Premiere one... including one person who switched off the LA Premiere to the NY Premiere.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #156
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Ok, things are picking up again now that they added a few more rewards. Yeah, $3m by the end of today looks more possible.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #157
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Up to $2.9M
Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #158
Zevida
witless and unarmed

The Austin premiere ticket is very tempting...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #159
logic88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
All of the available Veronica Mars packages that include tickets to the premiere are gone already. Wow. Rob might be kicking himself that he priced those too low.
Why doesn't KS implement a bidding process for packages? That way, the ones that are highly prized can raise more bucks?
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #160
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

New York premiere is already oversubscribed. That's $100K right there in less than an hour.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #161
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
The Austin premiere ticket is very tempting...
I'm eyeballing that, too.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #162
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Up to $2.9M
And a little over half an hour later ... $3 mil.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #163
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Three million!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #164
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Just hit $3M at 4:18 PDT.

ETA: Weird - I've been hitting refresh pretty regularly over the past 5 minutes, and it didn't click over to $3M until 5 minutes after it did for you guys.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #165
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Rob T. just tweeted that the Today show filmed him as the campaign rolled over $3M. May have to record Today in the morning.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #166
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

According to Wikipedia, if funding closed today, that would make it the 6th most funded project in Kickstarter history.

If it topped out at $4m as has been suggested, it would be the #3 project. It would have to make more than $8.5m to become #2, and more than $10.2m to become #1.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #167
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
According to Wikipedia, if funding closed today, that would make it the 6th most funded project in Kickstarter history.

If it topped out at $4m as has been suggested, it would be the #3 project. It would have to make more than $8.5m to become #2, and more than $10.2m to become #1.
And we're still only 36 hours in to the campaign.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #168
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Just hit $3M at 4:18 PDT.

ETA: Weird - I've been hitting refresh pretty regularly over the past 5 minutes, and it didn't click over to $3M until 5 minutes after it did for you guys.
TCF is not exactly atomic clock standard. Nice people, don't get me wrong.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #169
SoBelle0
What's next?

Arrested Development wishes they'd thought of this. . Think of the prizes they could have offered!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #170
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Rob T. just tweeted that the Today show filmed him as the campaign rolled over $3M. May have to record Today in the morning.
Someone else just tweeted at him (which was RTd with a "Thank Gawd!" by KB): "$3M baby... yes! Logan's safe!"

Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #171
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
TCF is not exactly atomic clock standard. Nice people, don't get me wrong.
You're right - I hadn't noticed that my post was timed at 4:12, when I had noted it was 4:18...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #172
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
Arrested Development wishes they'd thought of this. . Think of the prizes they could have offered!
You're not the only one to have thought of that:
Quote:
Way back in 2006, when Arrested Development was canceled for the second time, we thought Kickstarter could save it. At the time Kickstarter didn't exist — we were trying to get it off the ground, and it would be three years before we would — but as fans of the show we thought Kickstarter could help. So what if a TV network wanted to kill the show? Fans could band together and fund it themselves.

So we tried to make it happen. Perry got an introduction to David Cross (Tobias Fünke on the show) through a friend and told him about Kickstarter: the fans fund the show directly and Arrested Development keeps going. David liked the idea (enough that through this he became Kickstarter’s first investor), but he told Perry that Arrested Development couldn’t happen that way. There were too many hurdles and the entertainment industry was just too complex for it to work.

At the time David was right. But seven years later things are changing. Arrested Development is back thanks to Netflix. And yesterday saw the relaunch of Veronica Mars in stunning fashion.
http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/a-big-day-for-fans
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #173
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I'm eyeballing that, too.
I decided against it. I like the show, but I don't $750 like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #174
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
Not sure what the hook will be then. Short blonde 20 something detective? What was cool about the show was she was a HS/College sleuth. I assume this will be a made for TV movie, so what the heck, it's worth a shot.
Quote:
Our goal is to release the movie in early 2014. We intend to release the film theatrically in as many cities and theaters as possible. We’ll also try to prioritize cities where our Kickstarter support is coming from. And all Kickstarter backers above $35 will get their digital copies within a few days of the film’s theatrical release.
I read elsewhere that the plan is a limited theatrical release, followed by release to VOD outlets. I don't think that anyone is considering a "made for TV" scenario.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #175
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
And a little over half an hour later ... $3 mil.
Yay!!

I knew it!!!
gilmoregirls102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #176
cmontyburns
Excellent.

So this is nice. I sent in a suggestion via the campaign page, and Rob Thomas just replied to me personally. Very cool.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #177
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

What was your suggestion?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #178
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Joss responds to the VM Kickstarter success:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon
That's what everybody wants to know about. Uh, yeah. My fourth feeling when I read about [the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign] was a kind of dread. Because I realized the only thing that would be on everybody's mind right now. I've said repeatedly that I would love to make another movie with these guys, and that remains the case. It also remains the case that I'm booked up by Marvel for the next three years, and that I haven't even been able to get Dr. Horrible 2 off the ground because of that. So I don't even entertain the notion of entertaining the notion of doing this, and won't. Couple years from now, when Nathan [Fillion]'s no longer [on] Castle and I'm no longer the Tom Hagen of the Marvel Universe and making a giant movie, we might look and see where the market is then. But right now, it's a complete non-Kickstarter for me.
He also talks about how excited he was and what a big fan of the show he was (you may recall that he actually had a cameo a convenience store clerk in, I think, S2), but that's the money quote re Kickstarter/Firefly.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #179
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
What was your suggestion?
To cast me as Veronica's love interest, of course!

But really, I just made a comment, not a suggestion. I encouraged them to do as Rob suggested in his proposal and work to expand digital distribution beyond UltraViolet. Who knows where UV will be in a year, but it will probably still suck compared to the other established platforms, with far less reach. I'd bet that digital sales will be essential to this project being a success, and I doubt they'll get them through UV. And as a fan of the show (and good platforms) I want the movie to be successful.

Rob's reply was short but affirmed they are working on it, with a number of tricky issues they need to resolve to get there.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #180
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I decided against it. I like the show, but I don't $750 like it.
I was actually leaning towards it, but I just noticed they're all gone. Oh well.