Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #121
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Id be on board with a Buffy movie too.. Im really surprised it hasnt happened but SMG and AH seem to be doing pretty well without the show. Cant say as much for everyone else except maybe Seth Green.
I wouldn't say SMG is all that successful, in Hollywood superstar terms. She starred in some horror movies. Was in a short-lived show that was canceled after one season. And does some voice work.

David Boreanaz and AH I would rate much more successful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #122
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Yeah, 11 seasons of Family Guy is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Joss is undoubtedly in a powerful position in Hollywood these days after Avengers. Heck, I'm sure he could get a Dr. Horrible movie greenlit at this point with a sizable budget.
That and Robot Chicken... he just hasnt been doing much in front of the camera. Seems like he was in some movie I watched not too long ago, just dont remember which one. DB has Bones too so I doubt he'd be interested.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #123
Azlen

Are SMG and Whedon wanting to do a Buffy movie or are they happy with where the story ended? I haven't heard any desire from anyone involved mention that there was more story to tell.
The only show mentioned that I could see getting some money from Kickstarter would be Firefly/Serenity but it would be hard to do a movie justice on a small budget. It would need at least 10 times the money that Veronica Mars is getting and it would still be an incredibly low budget movie for SciFi.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #124
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
DB has Bones too so I doubt he'd be interested.
If he did do it, I wonder how they would handle the whole never aging vampire thing.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #125
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Who will play Veronica Mars? Kristen Bell is a bit long in the tooth to play a teen crime solver.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #126
danterner
Not it!

I have not been able to get the Veronica Mars theme song out of my head for the last 24 hours. Especially frustrating since I only know the lyrics to the first few bars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #127
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
If he did do it, I wonder how they would handle the whole never aging vampire thing.
Maybe they'd CGI him in
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #128
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I wouldn't say SMG is all that successful, in Hollywood superstar terms. She starred in some horror movies. Was in a short-lived show that was canceled after one season. And does some voice work.

I'd bet my favorite pair of boots that David and Sarah would NEVER do a reunion movie.

David won't even talk about Angel anymore, and Sarah seemed happy and proud of Buffy at the time, but she's over it.

As opposed to KB who never got over it. Maybe if VM had had seven seasons, she would have gotten her fill. Maybe if Buffy had been cancelled after three, SMG wouldn't have.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #129
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
Who will play Veronica Mars? Kristen Bell is a bit long in the tooth to play a teen crime solver.
Not sure if you're serious, but the movie will be set in the present day, so Veronica will be in her late 20s.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #130
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
I'd bet my favorite pair of boots that David and Sarah would NEVER do a reunion movie.

David won't even talk about Angel anymore, and Sarah seemed happy and proud of Buffy at the time, but she's over it.
Yeah. Mind you, I don't have a dog in that hunt, but I'd bet Buffy would fail at least conditions 2, 3, 5, and 7 on my list above.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #131
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
But the contributors are only half the story, or less. We've funded the production of the the thing. It still needs to make money. Well, "needs to" in the sense that none of this matters if the people involved in making things like this don't see that they can profit from their time. It's awesome that tens of thousands of us made this happen, but most of us are now getting the thing now for no extra cost. The next challenge is for it to show some profit. If no non-contributors buy a ticket or the digital version, getting this to happen won't matter much in the grande scheme of things.
But the cost to make the movie is essentially zero. If one person buys a movie ticket, it's profitable.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #132
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:

SMG also has a daytime Emmy.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #133
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
But the cost to make the movie is essentially zero. If one person buys a movie ticket, it's profitable.
But that would completely ignore marketing and distribution costs. The cost to make the movie is still probably the biggest expense with most movies but it's not the only thing that goes into the budget.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #134
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
But that would completely ignore marketing and distribution costs. The cost to make the movie is still probably the biggest expense with most movies but it's not the only thing that goes into the budget.
In addition, the cost to make this movie is not being covered by this kickstarter fundraising--it's just a techique used to raise awareness and attract other investors.

These other investors would like a return on their risk, too. If they have no way of recouping their investment, they won't back the project, no matter how much we all like Veronica Mars.

Investors don't usually put up money because they're fanboys and fangirls: the investors want to make money. A few paltry thousand subscriptions to a link, or a hundred thousand tickets ain't gonna do it.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #135
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Think of it in terms of effort. Suppose you had an opportunity to drive somewhere for an hour, turn around, and drive back. In exchange, your gasoline costs would be covered, and you'd be paid a dime. Your drive is profitable. But would you do it?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #136
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
In addition, the cost to make this movie is not being covered by this kickstarter fundraising--it's just a techique used to raise awareness and attract other investors.
That may turn out to be true, but I don't believe that is the premise going in. Rob T. planned to make this movie for two million dollars. The Kickstarter campaign was intended to cover that.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #137
gweempose

Quote:

I would agree that post Buffy/Angel, DB and AH have been infinitely more successful than SMG, as they are both currently starring in their 8th seasons of very popular shows.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #138
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:

As opposed to KB who never got over it. Maybe if VM had had seven seasons, she would have gotten her fill. Maybe if Buffy had been cancelled after three, SMG wouldn't have.
SMG has seemingly remembered how good Buffy was for her - her appearance at the 2008 PaleyFest reunion was the first time she seemed to enjoy being associated with that role. I think she'd be on board.
But Boreanaz doesn't seem to want to go back there. He's never bad-mouthed the show, but since he's been on Bones he seems to want to focus on that only. I'm not sure if that's loyalty to his current show/bosses, or what. And I'm not sure Joss would be into it. I kinda feel like Joss said all that he wanted to say w/Buffy, unlike w/Firefly, for instance.

VM is a passion project for Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell - like Lori said, KB in particular has never gotten over the show being cancelled. Firefly would be a passion project for Joss and Nathan and Jewel and everyone else. But I don't get the sense that Buffy would be a passion project for Joss and SMG.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #139
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Please, please, please, no more Firefly anything. Serenity was terrible because it focused on the single greatest flaw of Firefly -- the main storyline.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #140
cherry ghost

Quote:

She's not exactly hurting for money. I'm sure Maybelline paid her very well over the years.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #141
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Not sure if you're serious, but the movie will be set in the present day, so Veronica will be in her late 20s.
Not sure what the hook will be then. Short blonde 20 something detective? What was cool about the show was she was a HS/College sleuth. I assume this will be a made for TV movie, so what the heck, it's worth a shot.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #142
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what the hook will be then. Short blonde 20 something detective? What was cool about the show was she was a HS/College sleuth. I assume this will be a made for TV movie, so what the heck, it's worth a shot.
Take this with a grain of salt since I don't think there's a real script yet, but here's what the Kickstarter page has to say about where we are in VM's life:

Quote:
Life has taken Veronica away from Neptune. In the years since spoiling Keith's chances to be reelected sheriff, Veronica hasn't taken a case. But something big is about to bring her back home and back to her calling. My goal is to include as many of your favorite characters as possible. It is, after all, time for Veronica’s 10-year high school reunion. Keep in mind that the more money we raise, the cooler movie we can make. A two million dollar fundraising total probably means cross words are exchanged at the class reunion. Three million? We can afford a full-on brawl. Ten million? Who knows... For some reason the Neptune High class reunion takes place on a nuclear submarine! A Hobbit shows up! There’s a Bollywood end-credit dance number! I’ve always wanted to direct Bill Murray. We’ll figure out something cool.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #143
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
It's not entirely clear, but it seems they're shooting for a real motion picture. To me, it seems like it'd work better as a direct to home video release, and in fact, many of the backers will actually get it on home video at the same time as the wide release of the movie.

In any case, as with "Buffy," the high school is just a window into the real storyline of the series. The real "hook" of the show was Neptune itself and the very noir-ish storylines that occurred there. In fact, that's probably where season three of the show fell apart a little bit, in that it seemed to move more insular to Hearst College and lost some of the focus on the goings on in Neptune itself. (Well, that, and the lack of a singular overarching mystery arc.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #144
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Veronica Mars now up to $2.7 million. The initial rush has worn off, I guess.
Someone predicted it was going to top out at $2.3 million, when it was already at $2.2.

It was not topping off then, it's not topping off now.

On the other thread I pointed out that what had been called "stalling" overnight, at $2.5, was slowing to a pace unimaginable at the starting gate. That slowed pace (sustained, which it will not) would generate $10 million over the 30 days left. Nothing has stalled.

$2.8+ right now, BTW, I'm still looking for near $4, and considerably higher if they add new incentives.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #145
gilmoregirls102
Oregonian

I bet they reach $3 million by the end of today!
gilmoregirls102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #146
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmoregirls102 View Post
Based on the pace I'm seeing, I doubt it. It'll hit $3m for sure, but not by the end of today. Sometime tomorrow, though.

I would say reaching $4m is a safe bet, especially if they open it up to international sponsors and/or add some attractive stretch goal rewards. I'm not expecting much more than that though.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #147
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Warner Brothers has already agreed to foot the bill for this. I am sure they would LOVE to be able to make movies and only have to pay for marketing and distribution. These are not poor companies. They are already among the most profitable companies that exist. They just found a way to become even more profitable. Luckily, this will benefit fans.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #148
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Indeed.

Think of it in terms of effort. Suppose you had an opportunity to drive somewhere for an hour, turn around, and drive back. In exchange, your gasoline costs would be covered, and you'd be paid a dime. Your drive is profitable. But would you do it?

That's a bad anology. The budget includes salaries. Everyone involved is making a buck. They are not working for free.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #149
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
What was cool about the show was she was a HS/College sleuth.
The coolest thing about the show was the writing. Even "bad" episodes were well written. Paris Hilton guest starred in one of them....
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #150
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmoregirls102 View Post
If you mean today as in second day of project, IMO that's nearly certain.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote