TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #91
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Heh... Kristen Bell on Twitter:

dear pope: Im sorry VM fans stole ur thunder on ur 1st day. I mean,Im not really that sorry,but i thought it would be polite 2 say so. xo

http://twitter.com/IMKristenBell/sta...54864882565120
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #92
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Up to $2.4M
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #93
logic88

With all the big rewards gone, will they come up with any new ones?

Also, with them blowing by $2M so easily, maybe they should have set a higher bar?
logic88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #94
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Up to $2.5 million. But it took them all night. Might be time for more incentives.

And according to Rob Thomas's first update on the project, there will be more high-end incentives, and rewards for foreign investors:

Holy cow, what a day. As of 4 a.m. CT, we're just over $2.5M dollars. We couldn't be happier. We really couldn't. My wife says I'm insufferable, but she said that four days ago in anticipation of a day like today.

A couple important announcements. First, please know we are trying to make international donations a possibility. We are running into a couple thorny issues, but we want it to happen. It might take a week or two before we have an answer, but keep checking back. Know that we hear you, and we're trying our best.

We can't believe we've topped out on so many of our bigger reward packages. We're working on coming up with some new high end rewards. This might also take a few days, but more will appear.

Lastly, thousands of questions have come in through the Kickstarter site. We're making our way through them. They will all get answered, but it may take a few days. A lot of them are real stumpers.

Thank you so much,

Rob

Last edited by Graymalkin : 03-14-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #95
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
Also, with them blowing by $2M so easily, maybe they should have set a higher bar?
That'll get asked, I'm sure. But really, this achievement obliterates the prior best funding effort in the film category. I think the previous high mark was something like $800K, and of course it took the whole 30 days to do that. There just wasn't precedent for something like this.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #96
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
And Nielsen ratings just became a little less relevant.....
Because we now have concrete proof of the existence of 41,791 fans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #97
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post

Because we now have concrete proof of the existence of 41,791 fans?
Because this suggests the potential viability of a production model where funding comes not from corporate sponsors but rather from the fans themselves directly. I can envision a series of kickstarters, one per episode, for a new season four. Or one kickstarter per season. Kickstarter essentially becomes the Nielsens. As long as the fans remain literally invested in a show, the show continues. Kind of like Channel 101, but with fans voting with their wallets.

If you get something for free, you are probably not the customer; you are the product. The business of television is not designed to provide entertainment to viewers, but rather to provide viewers to advertisers. This suggests an alternate way of providing viewers with entertainment could work just as well for the viewers and the producers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 03-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #98
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Because this suggests the potential viability of a production model where funding comes not from corporate sponsors but rather from the fans themselves directly. I can envision a series of kickstarters, one per episode, for a new season four. Kickstarter essentially becomes the Nielsen. As long as the fans remain literally invested in a show, the show continues. Kind of like channel 101, but with fans voting with their wallets.
Well, covering production costs is one thing, but making sure the episodes have a broadcast outlet is another.

Why would a network or DirecTV or whatever distribution channel allow Veronica Mars one hour of its schedule to be used for a episode, unless those corporate sponsors buy advertising time?

I suppose Veronica Mars producers could use their budget and buy the time themselves, similar to infomercials, but then they'd likely be relegated to odd shopping channels or the 3am to 4am block.

Still, it IS fun watching the totals add up.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #99
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post

Well, covering production costs is one thing, but making sure the episodes have a broadcast outlet is another.

Why would a network or DirecTV or whatever distribution channel allow Veronica Mars one hour of its schedule to be used for a episode, unless those corporate sponsors buy advertising time?

I suppose Veronica Mars producers could use their budget and buy the time themselves, similar to infomercials, but then they'd likely be relegated to odd shopping channels or the 3am to 4am block.

Who needs a broadcast outlet? The contributors get a link to download the video file.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #100
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post

Network? Who needs a network at all? Louis CK chose to skip the TV Network BS and dustribute the product himself. It was a huge success.

ABC gave up on All My Children and One Life To Live so they moved to the web. That success remains to be seen but it's getting a lot of buzz.

This VM thing is just the latest success in breaking free from traditional TV/Move financing models. It too them 10 or so hours to raise $2 million. I am guessing the majority of Holloywood producers have never secured financcing that quickly.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #101
mwhip
All better

Now the rumor is a re-watch of the series with live tweeting by cast members. Sweet.

What else will KB do while the baby sleeps?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #102
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

2.5 mil.. seems to have really tapered off. Maybe it will pick back up when they announce some new packages. I might even bump mine up.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #103
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Who needs a broadcast outlet? The contributors get a link to download the video file.
But the contributors are only half the story, or less. We've funded the production of the the thing. It still needs to make money. Well, "needs to" in the sense that none of this matters if the people involved in making things like this don't see that they can profit from their time. It's awesome that tens of thousands of us made this happen, but most of us are now getting the thing now for no extra cost. The next challenge is for it to show some profit. If no non-contributors buy a ticket or the digital version, getting this to happen won't matter much in the grande scheme of things.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #104
raebyddet
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
But the contributors are only half the story, or less. We've funded the production of the the thing. It still needs to make money. Well, "needs to" in the sense that none of this matters if the people involved in making things like this don't see that they can profit from their time. It's awesome that tens of thousands of us made this happen, but most of us are now getting the thing now for no extra cost. The next challenge is for it to show some profit. If no non-contributors buy a ticket or the digital version, getting this to happen won't matter much in the grande scheme of things.
I'm not going to contribute to the Kickstarter, but I will for sure pay to consume the movie at some point. So there will be a market beyond just the Kickstarter community.

Also this is going to drive digital downloads and dvd sales of the existing seasons, which everyone involved gets some kind of part of, so this makes the whole brand more valuable.
raebyddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #105
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebyddet View Post
I'm not going to contribute to the Kickstarter, but I will for sure pay to consume the movie at some point. So there will be a market beyond just the Kickstarter community.

Also this is going to drive digital downloads and dvd sales of the existing seasons, which everyone involved gets some kind of part of, so this makes the whole brand more valuable.
Certainly we hope that's the outcome. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that. Look at Serenity... you won't find a more passionate group of fans than the Firefly bunch. They were enough to get the movie made, and then it pretty much bombed. The best those fans can hope for now is the occasional appearance at ComicCon because studio interest is dead.

The good news for us in VM land is that it isn't going to take much for this effort to turn a profit (I wouldn't think). And I don't think anyone believes this is going to be a smash, even on a relative scale. So hopefully the whole property gets enough of a bump that it will mean good things.

Regardless of any of that, I'm awfully excited about this and really looking forward to seeing more VM!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #106
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Looks like a lot of people from niche shows have taken an interest in this.. Zachery Levi sort of hinted they may do the same thing for a Chuck movie.. I could get behind that as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #107
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Veronica Mars now up to $2.7 million. The initial rush has worn off, I guess.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #108
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

It's not surprising. The hardcore fans were all over it yesterday, and that was bound to taper off. From reading the comments, it sounds like most international pledges were of the lowest level because of the no-international shipping for the rewards. Rob Thomas said in an email today they are working on that, so I would guess that if they open the reward tiers up to international there would be another big spike (though nothing like yesterday).

But $2.7M in 24 hours is damn impressive no matter what.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #109
gweempose

Quote:

Look at Serenity... you won't find a more passionate group of fans than the Firefly bunch. They were enough to get the movie made, and then it pretty much bombed.
The difference is that Serenity had a $40M budget. Even if something like Kickstarter existed back then, there is no way they could have raised that kind of capital. The fact that Joss managed to get that movie made is a miracle in itself. I also think, while perhaps not quite as passionate as the Browncoats, there are way more VM fans out there. The show ran for three seasons, as opposed to half a season.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the VM Kickstarter is going to have a huge impact on the entertainment industry. It is absolute proof that the fans are willing to backup their loyalty with their pocketbooks. Very exciting times!
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #110
gweempose

Quote:

... this achievement obliterates the prior best funding effort in the film category. I think the previous high mark was something like $800K, and of course it took the whole 30 days to do that. There just wasn't precedent for something like this.
It not only beat the prior record in the film category, it actually set a new record for the highest goal achieved, period. In fact it set quite a few records yesterday:

- Fastest Kickstarter project to hit $1M
- Fastest Kickstarter project to hit $2M
- Highest goal ever achieved
- Largest film project in Kickstarter history
(3) Minis

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #111
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the VM Kickstarter is going to have a huge impact on the entertainment industry. It is absolute proof that the fans are willing to backup their loyalty with their pocketbooks. Very exciting times!
I think it will have an impact but I don't think it will be a huge impact.
The number of properties that have a dedicated following, where the principals are available and are willing to work cheaply, have a reasonable budget, couldn't get funding from traditional methods and could turn a profit even with the kickstarter money aren't really all that numerous.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #112
eddyj

If I understand correctly, the $2 million (or whatever) will not be the whole budget, it almost seemed like "good faith" money to get the actual film company on board. From the OP:

Quote:
If they reach it, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Looks like a lot of people from niche shows have taken an interest in this.. Zachery Levi sort of hinted they may do the same thing for a Chuck movie.. I could get behind that as well.
I bet this will inspire a lot of similar thoughts. I'd expect few of them to amount to anything, though. This is a great development but I think it took a perfect storm to get this result.
  1. A cadre of loyal fans that has kept a torch burning for the show
  2. A creator and star who have kept the torch burning for the show
  3. Principal actors who are willing to participate, probably at reduced compensation, and who are available during the narrow window when such a project would need to come together
  4. Enough time having passed that the torch still being lit meant there was a decent chance of getting results
  5. A show concept that was clearly not yet played out when the show went off the air
  6. A rightsholder willing to let the project go forward (Warner Brothers in the case of VM)
  7. A studio willing to market and distribute the result (i.e. help fund it)
  8. A bunch of internet people who may not care that much about the show, but wanted to be part of the buzzy internet thing of the day
  9. First-mover advantage (doing something on this scale had not been tried before)

If any of those things weren't true in the case of VM, I don't think we'd be here now.

I would guess at least a couple of those wouldn't hold true for Chuck. For me, I don't know if I would back a Chuck movie -- and I really enjoyed the show most of the time. (Or I probably would, I guess, but not nearly at the level I did for VM.) Chuck got five seasons and was pretty well exhausted when it ended. And I thought the ending was great... I thought the conclusion on the beach was beautiful and hopeful, and I don't think I really need to see anything past that point. That could just be me.

Last edited by cmontyburns : 03-14-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Changed from bulleted to numbered list.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #114
gweempose

Quote:

This is a great development but I think it took a perfect storm to get this result.
  • A cadre of loyal fans that has kept a torch burning for the show
  • A creator and star who have kept the torch burning for the show
  • Principal actors who are willing to participate, probably at reduced compensation, and who are available during the narrow window when such a project would need to come together
  • Enough time having passed that the torch still being lit meant there was a decent chance of getting results
  • A show concept that was clearly not yet played out when the show went off the air
  • A rightsholder willing to let the project go forward (Warner Brothers in the case of VM)
  • A studio willing to market and distribute the result (i.e. help fund it)
  • A bunch of internet people who may not care that much about the show, but wanted to be part of the buzzy internet thing of the day
  • First-mover advantage (doing something on this scale had not been tried before)
Obviously, it takes a show with a huge cult following to pull off something of this magnitude, but I can see this project having a future impact in smaller ways. For example, there are a lot of shows that get cancelled and leave the audience hanging. I could see a Kickstarter being used to fund one final episode or a mini-series to wrap things up.

In terms of other shows that have a large enough mass following to warrant something like this, Buffy is the most obvious candidate. If SMG and the rest of the cast were on board for a Buffy movie, the money would come pouring in so fast, it would be insane! Arrested Development is another obvious one, but we are fortunate that the series is already being brought back. Some shows I would have liked to have seen continue include:

Firefly
Farscape
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Stargate Universe
The Tick (live action version)
Tru Calling
Torchwood
Mr. Show with Bob and David
Better Off Ted
(3) Minis

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #115
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
If I understand correctly, the $2 million (or whatever) will not be the whole budget, it almost seemed like "good faith" money to get the actual film company on board. From the OP:
I understood that to mean that the kickstarter money is the shooting budget, while Warners picks up the back end stuff, which is probably matching what kickstarter earned.

And they said limited run, which probably means a two week run, in 100 theaters if we're lucky.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #116
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I bet this will inspire a lot of similar thoughts. I'd expect few of them to amount to anything, though. This is a great development but I think it took a perfect storm to get this result.
  • A cadre of loyal fans that has kept a torch burning for the show
  • A creator and star who have kept the torch burning for the show
  • Principal actors who are willing to participate, probably at reduced compensation, and who are available during the narrow window when such a project would need to come together
  • Enough time having passed that the torch still being lit meant there was a decent chance of getting results
  • A show concept that was clearly not yet played out when the show went off the air
  • A rightsholder willing to let the project go forward (Warner Brothers in the case of VM)
  • A studio willing to market and distribute the result (i.e. help fund it)
  • A bunch of internet people who may not care that much about the show, but wanted to be part of the buzzy internet thing of the day
  • First-mover advantage (doing something on this scale had not been tried before)

If any of those things weren't true in the case of VM, I don't think we'd be here now.

I would guess at least a couple of those wouldn't hold true for Chuck. For me, I don't know if I would back a Chuck movie -- and I really enjoyed the show most of the time. (Or I probably would, I guess, but not nearly at the level I did for VM.) Chuck got five seasons and was pretty well exhausted when it ended. And I thought the ending was great... I thought the conclusion on the beach was beautiful and hopeful, and I don't think I really need to see anything past that point. That could just be me.
Yeah, I was a big fan of Chuck, but I don't really feel like there is any major ground left to cover for those characters. We got to see Chuck & Sarah together, we got to see Casey happy, etc.

I like your list, and the only show that I can really see being able to check off most of those items is Firefly/Serenity.
  • A cadre of loyal fans that has kept a torch burning for the show = Big check - still a big attraction at ComiCon and every other con
  • A creator and star who have kept the torch burning for the show = Big Check (see every Joss and Nathan interview pretty much ever)
  • Principal actors who are willing to participate, probably at reduced compensation, and who are available during the narrow window when such a project would need to come together = Big check - just about every one of the principal characters talks about their time on the show as their favorite job ever
  • Enough time having passed that the torch still being lit meant there was a decent chance of getting results = Check - Serenity came out 8 years ago
  • A show concept that was clearly not yet played out when the show went off the air = Big check = even with Serenity, there are still major storylines that went unexplored
  • A rightsholder willing to let the project go forward (Warner Brothers in the case of VM) = ?? - Fox is notoriously stingy, but did license to Universal so that Serenity could be made
  • A studio willing to market and distribute the result (i.e. help fund it) = ??
  • A bunch of internet people who may not care that much about the show, but wanted to be part of the buzzy internet thing of the day = ??
  • First-mover advantage (doing something on this scale had not been tried before) = ??

The big problem with Firefly is that the budget would need to be much, much higher for a feature or even a mini-series. You're looking at $20-$25M probably.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #117
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
In terms of other shows that have a large enough mass following to warrant something like this, Buffy is the most obvious candidate. If SMG and the rest of the cast were on board for a Buffy movie, the money would come pouring in so fast, it would be insane!
Hmmm. Hadn't really considered Buffy. I wonder if the fact that it had 7 years and well more than 100 episodes would limit the demand?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #118
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post

Hmmm. Hadn't really considered Buffy. I wonder if the fact that it had 7 years and well more than 100 episodes would limit the demand?
If they can raise $3M for a VM movie in one day, I would think they could raise $10M for a Buffy movie no problem. Other than something like Star Trek or perhaps Doctor Who, I'm hard pressed to come up with a TV franchise that has a larger or more dedicated following than Buffy.
(3) Minis

Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #119
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Id be on board with a Buffy movie too.. Im really surprised it hasnt happened but SMG and AH seem to be doing pretty well without the show. Cant say as much for everyone else except maybe Seth Green.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #120
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Id be on board with a Buffy movie too.. Im really surprised it hasnt happened but SMG and AH seem to be doing pretty well without the show. Cant say as much for everyone else except maybe Seth Green.
Yeah, 11 seasons of Family Guy is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Joss is undoubtedly in a powerful position in Hollywood these days after Avengers. Heck, I'm sure he could get a Dr. Horrible movie greenlit at this point with a sizable budget.
(3) Minis