Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #871
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Interesting... AMC shows tonights fan event as 2 hours 18 minutes, but the regualr movie listings are shown as 1 hour 48 minutes. I wonder if we're getting an extra presentation along with the movie...

They also are having a 12:01am showing at the same theater.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...c-neshaminy-24
They're supposed to be handing out t-shirts and other stuff. Maybe that's part of the extra 30 minutes?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #872
markymark_ctown

I never saw the show, but want to see the movie. would it be worth it?
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #873
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Ask us after we see it tonight.

Advance review summaries I've seen have been positive. (I'm avoiding reading anything in detail until after I've seen the film.) From what I can tell, the consensus so far is that the movie is accessible for people new to Veronica Mars, although there are emotional and character beats that may not resonate with newbies as much.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #874
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

What a crock of ****. The digital download is only available via flixter. This means I can't watch it on my tv at all considering I have nothing with a flixter app.

Now I'm going to have to find other means. What BS.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #875
mwhip
All better

Just FYI KB is on Craig Ferguson tonight.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #876
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The movie is hovering in the 74-76% range on RottenTomatoes, and fairing a bit worse with a 61 on Metacritic. Still, not horrible, and probably a bit what you might expect given that it is more or less a movie extension of the TV show, for all the pros and cons that might mean.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #877
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I am also supposed to get the Blu-ray.

I just really don't want to install iTunes simply to get one movie. If that happens I may resort to other means to get my digital copy.
You were going to have to install something no matter what due to the DRM. In this case, you'll need the Flixster Desktop app if you want to watch the movie on your computer offline. And of course you'll need the Flixster app on any mobile device.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #878
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
What a crock of ****. The digital download is only available via flixter. This means I can't watch it on my tv at all considering I have nothing with a flixter app.

I'm not happy either, but I believe them when they said they looked at all the options and this was the only one that let them release the digital copy to all backers, everywhere, at the same time. So it's BS, but I don't blame them for it being BS.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #879
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I'm not happy either, but I believe them when they said they looked at all the options and this was the only one that let them release the digital copy to all backers, everywhere, at the same time. So it's BS, but I don't blame them for it being BS.
so how am I supposed to get the download? I can't get it in iTunes, I can't rip it, the only way will be to torrent something I paid for.

All these digital downloads include copies for iTunes and other services when you buy a bluray, why was it hard his time? Flitter doesn't even have an app on roku.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #880
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
so how am I supposed to get the download? I can't get it in iTunes, I can't rip it, the only way will be to torrent something I paid for.
You create an account on Flixster and then watch it streaming to your browser. To download for offline viewing, you have to install the Flixster desktop software. And you watch it on mobile via the Flixster app for iOS or Android. That's as I understand it… I've not used UV/Flixster and it's why I would have much preferred it via iTunes.

For TV, I'm hoping the Flixster app on iOS allows AirPlay to an AppleTV. That will do in the interim until my BD arrives and I can rip it. (But not as good as being sourced from iTunes to begin with.) If there's no Flixster channel on Roku, I guess you'd have to connect your computer or phone to the TV to watch it on your bigger screen?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #881
holee
Uncertain

I was hoping for an iTunes code as well, but I understand why they went with Flixster. I'll probably end up buying it through iTunes for the convenience, even though I'm a backer.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #882
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
I am still at our annual conference. After being on my feet for 16 hrs + each day for the past 6 days, here's how MY Friday is going to go: Sleep in 10 am-mani/pedi 12:30-massage (90 minutes) 3 pm - Veronica Mars Movie I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
That sounds like an absolutely lovely day!!

Quote:
In contrast, I am definitely hoping for iTunes. I don't want to mess with janky stuff like Ultraviolet. (Since you can pre-order the movie on iTunes now, I'm taking that as a good sign.)
How does a non-financial supporter see this movie? Are there open seatings? The good theater does have it - based on the list someone shared way back. Or is it only for kickstarters? Or if I buy it?

I don't need to own it, I just want to see it because you'll all be talking about it. . Oh, so I mean this weekend. I assume next week will be open to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I am also supposed to get the Blu-ray. I just really don't want to install iTunes simply to get one movie. If that happens I may resort to other means to get my digital copy.
Then there's that. I couldn't do it, since I didn't back. And kind of hope people don't put it out for a while.
Oh, except I now see David's predicament.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #883
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0 View Post
How does a non-financial supporter see this movie? Are there open seatings? The good theater does have it - based on the list someone shared way back. Or is it only for kickstarters? Or if I buy it?
There are special advance screenings at a few AMC theaters tonight. I think those mostly sold out. The movie opens generally tomorrow -- but it's not a wide release. It's only at AMC theaters and not nearly all of them. But if there's one near you, you could certainly catch it this weekend.

If there's not a theater near you, the movie will be available on iTunes for purchase tomorrow. Maybe other digital platforms, too? Not sure.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #884
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I assume our digital copy with be HD? Would kind of suck if its only in standard definition.

EDIT: nm found it

Veronica Mars Backers located in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland will be provided with a Digital HD UltraViolet version playable through Flixster and all other UltraViolet service providers. For more information regarding playback on Flixster, please refer to http://support.ultraviolet.flixster.com.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #885
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

To clarify: Other than the fact that this movie will only be shown in select AMC theaters, this is a normal theater released movie. Anyone can buy a ticket at the box office or through Fandango and go and see it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #886
Azlen

Quote:
All these digital downloads include copies for iTunes and other services when you buy a bluray, why was it hard his time? Flitter doesn't even have an app on roku.

Yes it does.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/1968/flixster
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #887
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:

Flixster most certainly does. I just set it up on my dads new Roku 3 about 2 hours ago.

I also wonder if it will also show up in my Vudu library since all my other movies appear in both places.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #888
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

To those planning on watching the PaleyFest stream, they're now tweeting that it is expected to start about 25 minutes later than expected, approx. 8:25 p.m. PDT/11:25 p.m. EDT.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #889
Dago Red

Quote:
Interesting... AMC shows tonights fan event as 2 hours 18 minutes, but the regualr movie listings are shown as 1 hour 48 minutes. I wonder if we're getting an extra presentation along with the movie...
They showed some Q&A footage from the NY Red Carpet Premiere as well as a clip with Kristen Bell before the movie began. That probably accounts for the extra time.
Dago Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #890
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's an UltraViolet release; you redeem it via Flixster but it will be available via all UltraViolet sources.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #891
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

The swag was handed out as you entered the theater (at least in Boston) so no delay for that. The clips and footage was not nearly 30 minutes though: probably more like 10 minutes or so, if that.

Count me happy they didn't go with iTunes. I don't have any Apple devices; iTunes video does not run well on my systems. If they had to go with DRM Flixter is OK with me; I can use my phone (which also has an HDMI out), my Roku, or my desktop.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #892
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
It's an UltraViolet release; you redeem it via Flixster but it will be available via all UltraViolet sources.

That works for me
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #893
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

PaleyFest panel was good, although I wish there would have been more questions to the cast, because Rob ended up speaking for most of it.

Interesting to hear that apparently Warner Bros does have a specific number that would make the movie a success in their minds. I'm not surprised that RT didn't disclose what that number is.

The other interesting thing for me is that RT brought up Amazon and Netflix streaming in passing; I've often wondered why they didn't go down that road instead of a major motion picture. I do wonder if that could potentially be an avenue for future projects, if there are any.

ETA: Ugh. You have no idea how many times I've almost clicked the "Veronica Mars Movie (Spoilers)" thread. It's KILLING me to avoid it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #894
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

ETA: Ugh. You have no idea how many times I've almost clicked the "Veronica Mars Movie (Spoilers)" thread. It's KILLING me to avoid it.
At this very moment, you probably could read it. Only two of us have posted so far, and I think we've (really, I have) only mentioned one spoiler. Go on, you know you want to…
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #895
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I really expected to have my code by this morning, but so far I have not seen it.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #896
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:

It's on usenet now. In HD. It's about 4 gigs in size.

Last edited by Malcontent : 03-14-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #897
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
It's on usenet now. In HD.
thx

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #898
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
At this very moment, you probably could read it. Only two of us have posted so far, and I think we've (really, I have) only mentioned one spoiler. Go on, you know you want to…
Oops, I posted a number of spoilers... don't look!!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #899
gweempose

I don't want any spoilers, but I am curious to know what people who have seen it thought of it. Is giving their opinion of the film considered a spoiler?
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #900
StacieH
betativowho??

Agree we should have a separate thread. Has it been set up?
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote