TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #691
smak
TV MA SLV

Did VM originally air in HD when it was making its initial run?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #692
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

-smak-
I'm fairly certain it did.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #693
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yes, but it was an era where many of the affiliates weren't in HD yet, over the air or via cable/satellite, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #694
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Aaaaand… we have a poster! Perhaps a tad generic, but I like it. It took me a moment to adjust to it, because KB obviously looks much younger on the cover art for the TV seasons. This will look good autographed and on my wall.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9c2d895a0f870ca51065d3ee0ea1ec76_large.jpg (50.6 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by cmontyburns : 01-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #695
smak
TV MA SLV

I like it. How much was that one? $200?

-smak-
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #696
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
I like it. How much was that one? $200?

-smak-
Heh, I couldn't remember and had to go look. Yep, $200.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #697
hummingbird_206

I did the $100 and that includes the poster (unsigned).
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #698
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Heh, I couldn't remember and had to go look. Yep, $200.
If I had to do it over, I probably would have done that one, instead of the $35.

-smak-
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #699
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I believe I did $100. I can't even remember what it gets me. I remember I didn't go for the level with the TV show DVDs, but now I wish I had; I would have given them to my daughter for Christmas.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #700
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I believe I did $100. I can't even remember what it gets me. I remember I didn't go for the level with the TV show DVDs, but now I wish I had; I would have given them to my daughter for Christmas.
I had to go look up emails to see if I was getting a poster. Here's what I had received re the $100 level

Quote:
Rob Thomas says:
For your further information, your credit card charge paying the amount pledged to the Veronica Mars Movie project of $100.00 included $8.55 of sales tax. Sales tax was charged on those physical and/or digital items within your reward package that are subject to tax at the applicable rate for your shipping address, including: PDF of shooting script, Limited edition t-shirt, Early digital download, Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack, Limited edition poster (unsigned).
and

Quote:
Reward: It just keeps getting better. You’ll receive everything listed above -- the updates, the script, the T-shirt, the digital version, the movie poster. Additionally, you’ll receive a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack that includes the documentary on the making of the Veronica Mars movie, plus other exclusive bonus features not available on the digital version. Available to US, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, and Select EU countries (Now including Norway and Switzerland! See Project Description for full list)

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #701
StacieH
betativowho??

I'm rewatching the series for the 3rd time. Well, fourth if you count when it was on the air..third time this year. And I have to say, I'm still impressed with how much story they were able to get in to each episode! I'm just starting Season 3.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #702
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I started rewatching this weekend, now that it's on Amazon Prime. Not sure how regularly I'll get to it with my usual shows starting back up, but I made it through the first 3 eps. Man, I can't believe how much I've forgotten - I remembered the basics of the Wallace and Weevil introductions, but I had completely forgotten about the extended Paris Hilton cameo.

I watched it via Airplay from my iPad, thrown up to the Apple TV. Picture quality was a little funky at the beginning of each ep, but it sorted itself out after a minute or so.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #703
smak
TV MA SLV

I've been watching on the XBOX Amazon app. Looks pretty decent. Better then my ripped DVDs

I'd have to say that the pilot is probably in the top 5 pilots of the last 20 years.

-smak-
Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #704
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I've been watching on the XBOX Amazon app. Looks pretty decent. Better then my ripped DVDs

I'd have to say that the pilot is probably in the top 5 pilots of the last 20 years.

-smak-
It's even better if you watch it with the extended cold open. Without that, it's still OK, but that extended cold open just completes the episode.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #705
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
It's even better if you watch it with the extended cold open. Without that, it's still OK, but that extended cold open just completes the episode.
I am starting to watch the series for the very first time... I just finished the pilot... what is the "extended cold open"?
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #706
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
I am starting to watch the series for the very first time... I just finished the pilot... what is the "extended cold open"?
It's on the DVDs... been a while, I forget where. It was intended to be attached to the beginning of the pilot episode, but was cut for the version that actually aired, and the version that appears on DVDs and is streaming. Here it is on YouTube:
Veronica Mars - Extended Cold Open

(Cold Open, for those puzzled by the terminology, is television terminology for a scene that precedes a title sequence. "Cold" refers to dropping an audience "cold" into the show without the title sequence to introduce the show; "open" means that it opens, or begins, the show. As an example, the first sketch on Saturday Night Live is referred to as a cold open.)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #707
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Hmmm, Amazon streaming seems to have NO cold open.

-smak-
Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #708
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
It's on the DVDs... been a while, I forget where. It was intended to be attached to the beginning of the pilot episode, but was cut for the version that actually aired, and the version that appears on DVDs and is streaming. Here it is on YouTube:
Veronica Mars - Extended Cold Open

(Cold Open, for those puzzled by the terminology, is television terminology for a scene that precedes a title sequence. "Cold" refers to dropping an audience "cold" into the show without the title sequence to introduce the show; "open" means that it opens, or begins, the show. As an example, the first sketch on Saturday Night Live is referred to as a cold open.)
Thanks...glad I got to watch it before continuing on with the rest of the series...

I know it has no bearing on any of the future content, but glad I watched it while the first ep was still fresh in my mind!
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #709
cmontyburns
Excellent.

What's funny is that I always remember the first episode as starting with that "cold open", which is Rob T's preferred cut. But if memory serves, the network disagreed and began the ep with the high school scene for air. So I must have seen that alternate cut when the show debuted, but I just don't remember it. The series has always begun with Veronica staking out the motel, in my mind. (Which it certainly should.)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #710
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Ok, this is cool. I just stumbled upon this through a Google search. I know nothing about this site, have nothing to do with it, but here it is:
Veronica Mars - Pilot - Script (an earlier edit than the one that aired)
Veronica Mars - Story Notes (also very early)

I can't definitively verify that these are legit, but they look to me like they are. The script looks like it's an early version of the pilot, back when Rob Thomas was planning on selling it to HBO or Showtime, not UPN. The show notes seem to be from about the same timeframe. It's interesting to see changes to the show as it evolved toward the version that aired.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #711
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
What's funny is that I always remember the first episode as starting with that "cold open"
Whether from reruns or versions available on line I'd guess a lot of VM viewers saw the opening in the first episode.

I didn't see the first few episodes first run; I stumbled onto the series I think episode #4 or so because I heard about it (maybe here on TCF) and have always liked the Nancy Drew formula. It may even have been in reruns at that point. So I then got the first few episodes from nefarious sources and the opening was there.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #712
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm wondering if the extended open aired somewhere like Canada, but not here, and that's how so many people saw it (downloads of the episode capped from Canada).
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #713
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I definitely remember seeing that extended cold open when I watched. I think I watched S1 via torrents during the summer after it first aired, because I know I caught up and watched S2 and S3 live as they aired.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #714
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
I'm wondering if the extended open aired somewhere like Canada, but not here, and that's how so many people saw it (downloads of the episode capped from Canada).
The DVD I bought originally had it. I'm not sure if there were 2 versions of the pilot on the DVD, but the same cold opening that is in that youtube, is the one on my PC.

Amazon streaming has no cold opening, which makes the pilot <40 minutes which is pretty short.

-smak-
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #715
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
The DVD I bought originally had it. I'm not sure if there were 2 versions of the pilot on the DVD, but the same cold opening that is in that youtube, is the one on my PC.

Amazon streaming has no cold opening, which makes the pilot <40 minutes which is pretty short.

-smak-
It's on my DVD, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #716
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Aaaaand… we have a poster! Perhaps a tad generic, but I like it. It took me a moment to adjust to it, because KB obviously looks much younger on the cover art for the TV seasons. This will look good autographed and on my wall.

I rather likethe poster. I originally ponied up for the signed poster but then backed it down to the $100 donation.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #717
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

CW announces an online "Veronica Mars" spinoff series:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/vero...-series-on-cw/
http://tvline.com/2014/01/15/veronic...he-cw-digital/

This is the first I've ever heard of CW Seed. Interesting.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #718
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I was just going to post that. Looking forward to some details.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #719
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Well, details... unless he was kidding, of course. Hard to tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @RobThomas
The CW web series: a comedy featuring @HiRyanHansen attempting to put together a Dick Casablancas spin-off of #VeronicaMars. No date yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @JeremyMeyers
@RobThomas so its like a 'behind the scenes in hollywood' thing? or @HiRyanHansen AS dick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by @RobThomas
.@jeremymeyers @HiRyanHansen Ryan as version of Ryan trying to put together a Dick Casablancas series.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #720
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER