Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #601
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Is it just me, or is this about the lowest quality shirt you can get? I can hold it up to the light and see through it!
See some of the previous comments about that (594, 595). Thin, soft material is "in" for T-shirts now. They're more comfortable than the bulky "Beefy Ts" of the past, and just because they're thin doesn't mean they're low quality. I recently got a gift of one of these thin, soft T-shirts and it's quickly become my favorite shirt.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #602
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Yep, I've worn the VM shirt a couple of times now and my opinion of it has changed quite a bit from that of my first impression. I quite like it now.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #603
Azlen

The release date for the movie is going to be March 14, 2014.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/0...-release-date/
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #604
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I like that they're going wide with it instead of just doing a token release. Go big or go home.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #605
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I like that they're going wide with it instead of just doing a token release. Go big or go home.
Well, it would be kind of pointless of them to have partnered with Warner Bros. if they weren't going to get wide distribution out of it. An independent, self-funded movie can get narrow distribution by itself.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #606
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Well, it would be kind of pointless of them to have partnered with Warner Bros. if they weren't going to get wide distribution out of it. An independent, self-funded movie can get narrow distribution by itself.
Since WB owns the rights, they had no choice but to "partner" with them. And since distribution is being handled by Warner Digital, it wasn't a sure thing they'd get much of a theatrical presence. As we know, the original plan was just for a token release before hitting the digital market. I agree that a bigger release is a logical place to have ended up, but I take it that this was not the original plan because Warners wanted to hedge their bets on the movie. So I'm thinking this development is a sign of their confidence in how the movie turned out!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #607
Azlen

With the bigger release, I'm curious if the $35+ kickstarter backers are going to be able to download the movie around the release date. I would think they would want to wait awhile to ensure maximum box office but it was part of the kickstarter campaign.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #608
smak
TV MA SLV

Am I the only one who's watched the ENTIRE series 5 times this year?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #609
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Am I the only one who's watched the ENTIRE series 5 times this year?

-smak-
I'm on number 3...
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #610
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
With the bigger release, I'm curious if the $35+ kickstarter backers are going to be able to download the movie around the release date. I would think they would want to wait awhile to ensure maximum box office but it was part of the kickstarter campaign.
Rob Thomas just sent another backer update that included this:

Quote:
Q: How will this affect our digital downloads and DVDs of the movie?

A: This one is easy: it doesn't. If your Kickstarter rewards include a digital download of the movie, we've always promised that you'll get it within a few days of the film's theatrical debut. That's still the plan. For DVD and Blu-Ray rewards, I'm told that we're hoping to ship those out in early May, but that's still subject to change. We'll keep you posted if it does.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #611
StacieH
betativowho??

I got a gift card for AMc theaters this week. Hoping to be able to use it for VM!
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #612
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Rob Thomas just sent another backer update that included this:
It seems that the few day delay in receiving the digital download will do the trick in enticing VM fans to go to the theater opening weekend.

-smak-
Old 12-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #613
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post

Wow, no kidding. I wear a Women's medium in most tops/T-shirts and this XL is even smaller than a 'normal' medium. Bummer.
Yep, no way could I wear mine. It's not really a problem, I almost never wear printed Ts anyway. I was in it to get the movie made!

I just need my girls to get a little older so I can stay them on VM and they can wear it.

Quote:
Got mine. The shirt actually is bigger than I thought it would be. It fits pretty well, although I'm afraid of washing/drying it once for fear it'll shrink.
It sounds like there's a pretty big discrepancy between the men's and women's sizing.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #614
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
It seems that the few day delay in receiving the digital download will do the trick in enticing VM fans to go to the theater opening weekend.

-smak-
I'll probably go see it anyway if it shows up in town here. Just as a way to further support it.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #615
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I'll happily see it in the theater if it opens here, but I doubt it will. It'll kill me to have no option but to wait!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #616
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'll happily see it in the theater if it opens here, but I doubt it will. It'll kill me to have no option but to wait!
Did you not toss in the extra $10 to get the digital copy? My town is bad about getting any movies except the big releases so I knew the odds of it opening here were small. $10 extra seemed like a easy call.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #617
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I did, but there will be a "few days" between when it opens in theaters and when the digital download is available.

I don't normally bother with opening night showings but THIS one I need desperately!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #618
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

While I'm excited that they are opening wider than they originally planned, I guess I misunderstood the original plans. I hadn't realized they originally only intended in opening in select cities, so the current plans are what I thought they had intended all along. When someone mentioned that it was opening wide, I didn't think it was still going to be a limited release.

Hopefully it opens near here. There aren't a lot of theaters that specialize in limited releases here, and most of them focus on arthouse pictures. The only chances are if the Oriental or Downer Theaters pick it up. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #619
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It'll be playing in Portland. We should have a meet.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #620
stalemate
McGruber

I still don't have my stickets (I was a $10 backer). Should I have them yet? Do I need to do something to get them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stalemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #621
stalemate
McGruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
Got it! Though I think I'll get more use out of the stickers than the shirt. There's no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that the shirt is an XL. But....I got it!
If I ever get my stickers... want to swap?

stalemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #622
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
Got it! Though I think I'll get more use out of the stickers than the shirt. There's no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that the shirt is an XL. But....I got it!
Is it a women's shirt? If so an XL would probably fit me...if you're going to make it into a pillow or something and the size doesn't matter, want to swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
It'll be playing in Portland. We should have a meet.
That's turning it into one spendy kickstarter!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #623
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Yep, no way could I wear mine. It's not really a problem, I almost never wear printed Ts anyway. I was in it to get the movie made!

I just need my girls to get a little older so I can stay them on VM and they can wear it.

It sounds like there's a pretty big discrepancy between the men's and women's sizing.
I've noticed that elsewhere. Ordered a couple of shirts for myself in my usual size from a website, and they fit like they should, then ordered a couple of the same shirt in women's sizes, and they were ridiculously small.

-smak-
Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #624
nyny523
Oy

I ordered a Mens Medium.

I should have ordered a large, because I like my tee shirts to fit loose.

But the medium does fit - and the fabric is nice and soft. And fashionably lightweight - that is the "look" for knit tops these days.

I will either wear it over a long sleeve top, or wait until it gets warmer!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #625
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Aside from the true diehard fans who still remember, and followed this show, does the studio think any moviegoers outside that niche of folks will actually go see this? I'd think they'd be better off going straight to video to save $$$. I can't imagine folks outside of the fan base have any desire to pay to see this or do they think it will be some huge underdog hit?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #626
smak
TV MA SLV

If only people in the fan base are going to see any particular movie, how does any original movie ever get anybody to go?

-smak-
Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #627
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Should be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #628
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Aside from the true diehard fans who still remember, and followed this show, does the studio think any moviegoers outside that niche of folks will actually go see this? I'd think they'd be better off going straight to video to save $$$. I can't imagine folks outside of the fan base have any desire to pay to see this or do they think it will be some huge underdog hit?
They don't have much to lose by widening the distribution a bit. The movie is already bought and paid for, so any extra that they earn is just gravy.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #629
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think the only thing preventing a wider audience is how well (or if) they can market the film. The concept is fairly accessible, and I highly doubt it will require a significant (if any) knowledge of the TV show to understand.

The movie will almost certainly begin with a scene introducing who Veronica Mars is and give the audience a surface-level review of her history before moving onto what I expect will be a fairly self-contained plot without a huge amount of call-backs to obscure facts or events from the show.

That said, I'm not stupid. I don't expect that WB will do any marketing at all, and it'll breeze in and out of a limited number of theaters before you can sneeze.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #630
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
WB needs to have a high profile rerun of the series leading up to the movie opening, and again a few weeks after the movie has opened.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote