TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
lyriclisa

Do I HAVE to use a cable card?

Just bought a Premiere XL off ebay, and thinking about what I need to do to get it set up when it arrives.

I have a cable box on my TV that I don't have any other use for (included in my cable package) - can I connect this to the Tivo, or do I need to get a cable card?
lyriclisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
ybtrue

You need a cable card to authorize the Tivo to receive the cable channels.
ybtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
lyriclisa

Ok - thanks!!!
lyriclisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
jadziedzic

Depending on your provider you can *probably* return their cable box, get a new CableCARD for your TiVo, and perhaps even get a slight "customer owned equipment" discount.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

You do not need a cable card to make manual recordings if you get clear QAM channels. All cable is local. I used my Premiere for a month before getting the card. I did need the authorization to get a guide and allow it to function. Careful when deciding to return your old STB. If your service was part of a "package", they may revert to "a la carte" pricing. Check with your provider. Some charge for the card and some let you buy it from eBay and some give you one for free. Some will let you install it and some charge for the visit. All cable is local (I said that).

Without the card you will get frequent messages that the channel is not on your guide. That's very nasty and why I have a cable card. Good luck.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
some let you buy it from eBay
No they don't.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
No they don't.
Who is "they"?

I also didn't mention TWC and SDV tuning adapters.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Who is "they"?
Unless you can provide specific, documented examples, I am going to continue to believe that no cable provider allows you to buy a cable card off of ebay and activate it.

I am also going to continue to believe that it is a violation of FCC regulations for them to charge you more to use your own equipment in lieu of theirs. In point of fact, they are required to give you a discount.

Finally, I know for a fact that they must allow you to self-install a CableCARD in a TiVo and cannot require a charged visit by a technician.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Unless you can provide specific, documented examples, I am going to continue to believe that no cable provider allows you to buy a cable card off of ebay and activate it.

I am also going to continue to believe that it is a violation of FCC regulations for them to charge you more to use your own equipment in lieu of theirs. In point of fact, they are required to give you a discount.

Finally, I know for a fact that they must allow you to self-install a CableCARD in a TiVo and cannot require a charged visit by a technician.
ok
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
I also didn't mention TWC and SDV tuning adapters.
While most notably neither Verizon FIOS no Comcast uses SDV, TWC is hardly the only one that does.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

When I activated my second TiVo I for a time did not have a cable card or tuning adapter. The QAM channels came in fine and I didn't receive any messages re:guide info. When I did add the second cable card running adapter, they shipped a self install kit, no problem with that, the tuning adapter was DOA out of the box. That was 4 months ago.

Intially Jan 2012 when I swtiched to TWC It took 7 months to get the first one working and somewhat stable. I've been though a total of 4 tuning adapters in 15 months. Had a new line pulled from the box outside to my wall. Initially they kept blaming TiVo and it always proved to be aTWC issue. Even had their system corrupt the pairing in their office. It took them a truck roll to figure out their MAC pairing was fubar.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)

Last edited by PCurry57 : 03-13-2013 at 06:58 PM.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriclisa View Post
Just bought a Premiere XL off ebay, and thinking about what I need to do to get it set up when it arrives.
You will need to go to tivo.com, set up an account, and add the TiVo to it. If it has Product Lifetime Service (PLS), you will have no additional charges. Otherwise, there will be a $14.99/mo charge for service.

After you have it physically setup (connecting it to the Cable and/or Antenna, Internet, TV and optionally to your sound system) you will need to run Guided Setup to configure it and get your local scheduling information.

You may have to get the CableCARD "paired" to the TiVo, but since you are doing locals only, it may not actually be necessary. One of my Premieres still does not have its CableCARD paired and I can access every channel with no problem. I have Comcast's "Digital Starter" package which is far more than locals, just no premium channels.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 03-13-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

Your first and 3rd paragraph are correct, I don't know about the 2nd, as with my plan I get a HD small cable box "free", I asked if the box could be turned in for a cable card, the answer was no! I don't use the cable box but because Comcast is only charging me $1.15/month for each of four cable cards I am not going to press the issue (no A/O charge, the line for the A/O charge came off the bill last month, before that the A/O charge was $0).

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Your first and 3rd paragraph are correct, I don't know about the 2nd, as with my plan I get a HD small cable box "free", I asked if the box could be turned in for a cable card, the answer was no! I don't use the cable box but because Comcast is only charging me $1.15/month for each of four cable cards I am not going to press the issue (no A/O charge, the line for the A/O charge came off the bill last month, before that the A/O charge was $0).
Yeah, if I had that deal, I wouldn't complain either.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Just for s@#ts and giggles, could you let us know your zip code and what sort of subscription package you have with Comcast?

I would like to figure out whether there is some magical formula for avoiding the dreaded $10 "TiVo Penalty Fee." Maybe it has to do with your tier of service or bundle package or total monthly fee amount?
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Mike-Wolf

Speaking from a service operator standpoint, they will not activate CableCARDs purchased by customers regardless of where it was purchased, even if in the unlikely event of it being purchased from the manufacturer of the CableCARD itself. Each card is registered by serial number and MAC address to a specific provider location for logistics and theft prevention. This is the same reason why one cannot relocate to another area within the same service provider area (such as from Comcast in New Jersey to Comcast in New England) with the same card even if transferring service. Upon activating a CableCARD to pair with equipment, the service provider requests the serial number and CableCARD ID number which is checked against authorized registered cards in their system. If the information is not given the green light (not registered with them) or a red flag has been put on the information (registered as stolen from either another service provider or region) certain steps are then put into motion. This is the exact same scenario when it comes to digital set top equipment as the majority of equipment found on Craigslist and eBay are more then likely stolen, and could very likely put the person who purchases these items in legal trouble under "possession of stolen goods" and since the equipment is considered communication equipment with FCC part 15 class A digital device, there could be federal trouble.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote