TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
DawnW

Mini on ebay

New: $49 including shipping from France.

Anyone want to take a chance and get back to us on how it worked?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Mini-in...item35e4324863

I am thinking stolen.

I remember years ago, probably 9 or so now, I ordered a Directv Tivo and it ended up being stolen and they wouldn't activate it. Thankfully I got my money back.

This looks shady unless I am missing something.

DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

I can't imagine what a Mini would be doing in France. It has no business being there. Seems fishy to me.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
DawnW

In looking at the sold items I see other listings for $49 that have sold, under 3 different usernames. One in Singapore and two in France.

Very fishy.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
pfiagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I will let you know. I ordered one last week that is to arrive on Feb 4.

pfiagra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
DawnW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfiagra View Post
Awesome, please report back!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
chiguy50

Quote:
New: $49 including shipping from France.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Mini-in...item35e4324863

I am thinking stolen.

I remember years ago, probably 9 or so now, I ordered a Directv Tivo and it ended up being stolen and they wouldn't activate it. Thankfully I got my money back.

This looks shady unless I am missing something.
I don't know what it implies about the legitimacy of the Mini or the seller (I note that he sold 10 of them yesterday), but I see that he seems to have stolen the product photo on his posting from this reliable eBay seller.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
DawnW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
I don't know what it implies about the legitimacy of the Mini or the seller (I note that he sold 10 of them yesterday), but I see that he seems to have stolen the product photo on his posting from this reliable eBay seller.
Oh, yeah.....that isn't allowed. I got in trouble for that once. And the picture I copied was actually a stock photo, but he had cropped it.

So, I had to repost with a stock photo cropped by me.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
howardval

Not sure if this is the same, but it could be a credit card scam. Here is how it works:

The seller has some stolen credit card numbers. When you buy the mini from them, they place the order from a legitimate store here in the U.S. using the stolen credit card. They have the item shipped directly to you. You receive a good Tivo mini from the retailer, and the retailer charges the credit card (for example, $150). The seller gets your $49 from e-bay via Paypal.

Later, either the store or the credit card company gets to eat the bill.

In this scam, the seller never gets caught. He is out of the country. The store and credit card company don't pursue you either. It's not worth their time or money. You just get to keep the product.

I purchased a Dewalt tool this way (unknowingly). I used the "Buy It Now" to purchase a brand new Dewalt tool for an awesome price. The seller was out of the country. I received a brand new tool directly from Home Depot within 2 days of placing the order. The packing slip showed the buyer as some lady in another state (she probably had her credit card stolen). The "ship to" address on the packing slip was me. The price charged was twice what I paid.

This was suspicious right off the bat. Why would someone pay double to sell an item to me - brand new - directly from a store. I contacted Paypal and e-bay as I didn't want to get nailed later for possession of a stolen item. E-bay verified the scam and suspended the user's account. Paypal also verified the scam and told me to just keep the tool.

This scam is now more prevalent on e-bay. It works for both parties (buyer and seller). Most buyers never realize this was a scam as they get a perfectly legit unit from a retailer. They leave a positive feedback and the seller gets cash.

howardval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
DawnW

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardval View Post
Not sure if this is the same, but it could be a credit card scam. Here is how it works:

The seller has some stolen credit card numbers. When you buy the mini from them, they place the order from a legitimate store here in the U.S. using the stolen credit card. They have the item shipped directly to you. You receive a good Tivo mini from the retailer, and the retailer charges the credit card (for example, $150). The seller gets your $49 from e-bay via Paypal.

In this scam, the seller never gets caught. He is out of the country. The store and credit card company don't pursue you either. It's not worth their time or money. You just get to keep the product.

I purchased a Dewalt tool this way (unknowingly). I used the "Buy It Now" to purchase a brand new Dewalt tool for an awesome price. The seller was out of the country. I received a brand new tool directly from Home Depot within 2 days of placing the order. The packing slip showed the buyer as some lady in another state (she probably had her credit card stolen). The "ship to" address on the packing slip was me. The price charged was twice what I paid.

This was suspicious right off the bat. Why would someone pay double to sell an item to me - brand new - directly from a store. I contacted Paypal and e-bay as I didn't want to get nailed later for possession of a stolen item. E-bay verified the scam and suspended the user's account. Paypal also verified the scam and told me to just keep the tool.

This scam is now more prevalent on e-bay. It works for both parties (buyer and seller). Most buyers never realize this was a scam as they get a perfectly legit unit from a retailer. They leave a positive feedback and the seller gets cash.
Oh, yes, I have been a victim of that scam, but in a round about way. Someone used my Walmart account to purchase about $150 in prepaid phone cards.

They actually used someone else's credit card but logged in to my account.

I contacted Walmart and they didn't really seem to care. They just told me to change my password.

Dawn

Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:

I received a new Roamio (when they first came out) that way, shipped from Best Buy, called Best Buy with the order number and was told that the item had been paid for at list price, and I could return it for a refund if I wanted to, I guess I could have purchased 10 of them and made $2000, but that not my bag.
I guess E-Bay and other web sights have put fences out of business, purchase from the truck of a car on the street and you have a problem, purchase from any web vender (inc. E-Bay) that takes PayPal and your safe from the law.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
kettledrum

Quote:
Oh, yes, I have been a victim of that scam, but in a round about way. Someone used my Walmart account to purchase about $150 in prepaid phone cards.

They actually used someone else's credit card but logged in to my account.

I contacted Walmart and they didn't really seem to care. They just told me to change my password.

Dawn
Walmart has got to be one of the worst. We had something similar happen a couple of years ago. A purchase of a Hawaiian shirt made by the crooks got approved, but a subsequent purchase for a bunch of prepaid cards got flagged and denied. On the phone Walmart didn't seem to care much about it, like it happens all of the time. The shirt got delivered to us and when we tried to return it to Walmart they thought we were crazy.

kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
trip1eX

Quote:

Interesting. Thanks.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
leo38cheng

any updates?

leo38cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
leo38cheng

will TIVO suspend your account if the items were later deem stolen? just afraid of a permanent ban.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
will TIVO suspend your account if the items were later deem stolen? just afraid of a permanent ban.
TiVo would never know unless the stolen unit had already been registered with TiVo, take it from my home you would have a problem after I reported to TiVo and the police, a new one comes from say Best Buy using a bad credit card, Best Buy does not keep track of each sales TSN so no problem with Best Buy, and if you use PayPal to pay for the item on E-Bay you will have no problem. People making a purchase on E-Bay are protected from that, just like any purchase from a normal store, even if the store owner had stolen the item you purchased.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
lessd

It is back on E-Bay $49 from France http://www.ebay.com/itm/251819425458...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck, a new model is now out A93, I assume this is the A92 model

Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
howardval

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
As Lessd said above, Tivo will never know. Believe me, credit card companies and the retailer just write it off their books as "cost of doing business". And Paypal will protect you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It is back on E-Bay $49 from France http://www.ebay.com/itm/251819425458...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck, a new model is now out A93, I assume this is the A92 model
Ok...thanks. I just ordered one. I don't need one, but just really curious to see where it will come from. I'm betting I'll get this within the next 2-3 days directly from a U.S. retailer. I'll report back.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #18
leo38cheng

seems like people has been buying from this seller for a while -- but only 4 feedback?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
HarperVision

Has anyone on the forum actually received one and activated it?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #20
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Has anyone on the forum actually received one and activated it?
I have one coming in the 15th to the 24th of Feb., we will see.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #21
pfiagra

Quote:
Nothing. I had contacted the seller a couple of times over the past few weeks, but received no reply. I've now sent the official request for a refund through eBay's Resolution Center, but don't anticipate any reply from the seller.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
pfiagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have one coming in the 15th to the 24th of Feb., we will see.
I suggest you get ready to familiarize yourself with eBay's Resolution Center.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I suggest you get ready to familiarize yourself with eBay's Resolution Center.
10 sold. Listing ended. I'd be curious how long before a resolution.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #24
WVZR1

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing. I had contacted the seller a couple of times over the past few weeks, but received no reply. I've now sent the official request for a refund through eBay's Resolution Center, but don't anticipate any reply from the seller.
I believe it's only the 5th so I doubt that eBay will even consider checking into it on your behalf "YET". Unless there have been multiple issues with the seller.

I wouldn't have anticipated that the seller would have carried on any correspondence with you regarding the transaction. To have assumed they would have is very foolish.

WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
howardval

Quote:
I believe the person you ordered it from had his account disabled soon after the listing. So I don't think he has any control anymore. And did you ever receive a tracking number? Or was the date just estimated by e-bay? They usually don't send a tracking number. Either way, you're safe. Paypal is usually pretty quick and simple to get a refund. Since (and if) his account was disabled, it's clear cut.

The guy I ordered it from still has his account active. But as of this morning, he has a negative feedback from someone who didn't get their mini I got an e-mail from the seller stating item had been shipped (no tracking provided), but I haven't written back. I'll wait a 2 weeks or until his account is disabled to ask for a refund from paypal.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
pfiagra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I wouldn't have anticipated that the seller would have carried on any correspondence with you regarding the transaction. To have assumed they would have is very foolish.
I expected the seller wouldn't respond, but did so just to have some proof to eBay that the seller was not responding. Not having been through the resolution process with eBay, I didn't know if having attempted some previous communication with the seller would be beneficial or not.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #27
pfiagra

Quote:
I believe the person you ordered it from had his account disabled soon after the listing. So I don't think he has any control anymore. And did you ever receive a tracking number? Or was the date just estimated by e-bay? They usually don't send a tracking number. Either way, you're safe. Paypal is usually pretty quick and simple to get a refund. Since (and if) his account was disabled, it's clear cut.
No tracking number; only an estimated date. The seller (jonpremosch) just recently (last week?) put up another batch listing of tivo minis, so if the account was suspended, it must have just been recently. Also noticed the seller's feedback now shows negative ratings, so there must be other buyers from the first batch also not getting any tivo minis.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
blacknoi

I saw these same ones on ebay, coming from singapore.

The red flag went up when I knew TiVo didn't service that market. And I didn't feel like playing the refund game with Paypal so just skipped it.

...should have bought 2 on Amazon when the pricing dropped / lifetime became included instead of just 1. It was nice to get one for $85 shipped.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #29
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I expected the seller wouldn't respond, but did so just to have some proof to eBay that the seller was not responding. Not having been through the resolution process with eBay, I didn't know if having attempted some previous communication with the seller would be beneficial or not.
eBay can tell if you have communication. When you give feedback, it won't let you rate the seller's communication if you haven't actually had any.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #30
DawnW

Any resolution?