TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
kisby

setting up 4 minis. Can't use MoCa.

I have two new Bolts. MoCa doesn't look good due to my coax cables, splitters, tuning adapters, and the way TWC amplifies the signal into our big house. Too many of these connections are not MoCa friendly and I don't know how helpful TWC will be at setting up MoCa and replacing all these parts. So...

Bolt A in man cave connects to ethernet hardwire.

Bolt B in main floor family room. No hardwire ethernet connection.

3-4 minis in various rooms that I want to connect to Bolt B.

I have a robust wifi in our house and stream Netflix, etc. all the time with no problem.

Do I need to find a way to connect these minis wirelessly? Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisby View Post
I have two new Bolts. MoCa doesn't look good due to my coax cables, splitters, tuning adapters, and the way TWC amplifies the signal into our big house. Too many of these connections are not MoCa friendly and I don't know how helpful TWC will be at setting up MoCa and replacing all these parts. So...

Bolt A in man cave connects to ethernet hardwire.

Bolt B in main floor family room. No hardwire ethernet connection.

3-4 minis in various rooms that I want to connect to Bolt B.

I have a robust wifi in our house and stream Netflix, etc. all the time with no problem.

Do I need to find a way to connect these minis wirelessly? Any suggestions appreciated.
Possibly.

With 4 Minis plus a BOLT on wireless, you'd best have a really robust Wi-Fi solution, especially if you plan on having multiple of those Minis streaming off the BOLT simultaneously. Typical Netflix streaming doesn't require anything near the bandwidth needed for HD streaming to a Mini from a TiVo DVR.

But given that your BOLT "A" can create the MoCA network and that your BOLT "B" and Minis can connect via MoCA, I'd recommend getting as many of these devices working reliably via MoCA as you can. Yes, you'd have to do some work to evaluate your coax components, but the payoff would be considerable -- especially since getting MoCA working would then enable wired network connectivity wherever your coax runs in your house, freeing-up some of your wireless bandwidth.

Quoting a few key replies to your similar thread over in the Bolt forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Streaming requires wired connections. Sometimes you can trick it by connecting a wireless bridge to the Tivo's ethernet port, but it's not always going to work. Wireless is finicky.

If all the boxes are sharing a common coax network, go into the Network Settings on Bolt A and tell it to create a moca network. Select "moca" for Bolt B and Minis. Easy peasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Given your setup, you could use 'Bolt A' to create your MoCA network on your coax lines, and then 'Bolt B' and all your Minis, connected only via coax, could use the MoCA network to communicate with each other and get to the Internet.

Other possibilities and considerations exist (Do you have a MoCA-capable router? Is your coax plant MoCA-ready?, What's a PoE filter?, etc); you can get more info on MoCA at the links below. The TCF thread is a good source of info, as well as assistance.
TCF: Setting up a MoCA Network for Tivo

TiVo: Connect your TiVo box to your home network *

* NOTE: The linked TiVO page provides incorrect information on using the BOLT to create a MoCA network (it incorrectly indicates the BOLT cannot); just follow the 'Option 2: Create a MoCA network' steps for a Roamio Plus or Pro for your 'Bolt A' box, and your MoCA network should be up-and-running.

Last edited by krkaufman; 10-09-2015 at 10:29 PM.
krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Since MoCA is built into the Bolts and Minis, I would at least give MoCA a quick try to see if it will work. You might get lucky and it might just work without having to replace any splitters or anything. And if it doesn't, you could also call up TWC and have them come out and install their whole-home DVR system. Let them do all the work to get your coax network MoCA friendly for their system. Then, after a few days just return all their equipment and tell them you changed your mind and use the TiVos instead.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Since MoCA is built into the Bolts and Minis, I would at least give MoCA a quick try to see if it will work. You might get lucky and it might just work without having to replace any splitters or anything. And if it doesn't, you could also call up TWC and have them come out and install their whole-home DVR system. Let them do all the work to get your coax network MoCA friendly for their system. Then, after a few days just return all their equipment and tell them you changed your mind and use the TiVos instead.
I like that approach! I haven't had to employ it myself, but I've suggested it a few times, for those concerned about getting MoCA going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
How much? The MoCA filters can be had for $8 or less.

One alternative I've pondered is calling Comcast to upgrade to their X1 services including the X1 DVR, so long as they provide free installation with a money back guarantee, and then cancelling the service within the free refund window. The benefit being that the X1 DVR communicates over MoCA, so a MoCA PoE filter and MoCA validation of the home coax plant would be part of the X1 installation.

Should you try this, you may want to add at least one additional TV location to the work order, assuming minimal/no additional cost, to ensure the tech is doing more than getting a single coax wall outlet working.

Again, the benefits of a wired connectioin would be worth it.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
jonw747

Powerline Adapter is another possible option (the Mini will use more bandwidth than Netflix).

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw747 View Post
Powerline Adapter is another possible option (the Mini will use more bandwidth than Netflix).
Another vote for powerline, I've used it for my mini for about 2 years and it's been almost flawless.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Another vote for powerline, I've used it for my mini for about 2 years and it's been almost flawless.
Powerline, just like MoCA, is dependent on how the wiring in your home is set up. It will work well for some people, not so well for others.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote