TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
john4200

Grimm S02E13 "Face Off" 2013-Mar-08

I was happy to finally see Nick find out that Renard is not human. Hopefully we do not have to wait another two seasons to find out exactly what Renard is and what he is trying to do. After Nick wakes up, I would think that he will have a lot of questions for Renard. Even though Renard may not be completely evil, he certainly has wronged Nick multiple times -- sending people to kill Nick's aunt, working with Adalind to poison Hank (nearly killing him), not telling Nick about Renard's involvement with Juliette, and stealing Nick's key. Probably more I have forgotten.

Someone asked in another thread why Nick did not drink the potion when they first made it. I thought it was obvious that the potion was likely to take Nick out of commission for a while, so Nick could not drink it before confronting Renard, which he wanted to do immediately.

So, Adalind is pregnant, apparently with Renard's child. Why was she so happy about that? Is it going to get her powers back somehow? Or is it part of some larger plot with the guy in Europe?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Does anyone remember how they discovered the location of Nick's trailer?

Didn't we see Nick hide the key in the trailer? Does anybody remember Nick putting the key in his desk?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
MikeCC
TiVotee

While I have little idea what Adalind is up to (though carrying a royal offspring might factor in...) I hope this ep main plot means that there is likely to be less secrets and misunderstandings among the loosely aligned newly grouped Scoobies. (A Greenwalt reference BTW.)

The Nick and Juliet story was beginning to drive me nuts, especially before her memory loss. Renard appears at first glance to have parallel interests to Nick, so I might imagine he would be a sometime ally.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Does anyone remember how they discovered the location of Nick's trailer?

Didn't we see Nick hide the key in the trailer? Does anybody remember Nick putting the key in his desk?
I believe Juliet let slip to Adelinde that Nick had a trailer in some parking lot somewhere.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I believe Juliet let slip to Adelinde that Nick had a trailer in some parking lot somewhere.
In a storage park, making the search easier. I seem to recall he did take the key out of the trailer.

The captain seems like the black sheep of the Royals. Useful to keep around, mostly, but certainly not indispensable. Seems like he just realized allying with Nick is his only way to stay alive.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
He did at one point. But I also thought I remember his mother taking it.

So he got it back and hid it at work maybe?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Someone asked in another thread why Nick did not drink the potion when they first made it. I thought it was obvious that the potion was likely to take Nick out of commission for a while, so Nick could not drink it before confronting Renard, which he wanted to do immediately.
Adelinde's mother said that only a royle could break her out of the coma, and that only after taking the purification potion. She also said that there would be complications.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
In a storage park, making the search easier. I seem to recall he did take the key out of the trailer.
Love you guys with great memories!!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
waynomo
My One Time

Is it just me or has the show evolved?

I remember being bored with it about midway through the first season and decided to stop watching it. Fortunately I decided to not delete any episodes and then caught up, etc. Now when it didn't record for a few weeks I make sure it is going to record and is usually a show I watch within 24 hours of it recording.

I also seem to recall that at first it was very basic. Creature did something bad and nick had to figure out what it was and kill it. Now the plot is a bit more involved with the royals. There seems to be a bit more depth.

Is this just my poor memory or do others agree?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Jonathan_S

Can someone remind me why Capt. Renard looks all messed up in his Wesen form? It looked like his face was partially disolved
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Can someone remind me why Capt. Renard looks all messed up in his Wesen form? It looked like his face was partially disolved
He looked very similar to what Adalind looked like in her Wesen form IIRC.

This from the guy whose memory is admittedly not the best when it comes to these things.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Renard isn't fully Wesen.
He's part Wesen and part human (the product of a Wesen/Royal mating).
(Adalind's mother said that he was "mostly human".)

Which is part of the reason why relations with his family are strained.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
stellie93

What's a royal? Are they not Wesen?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
No, the royals are human. That's why Renard is looked down upon by his family...he's tainted with Wesen blood.

(I've never figured out exactly who the royals are supposed to be.)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
stellie93

Thanks, I didn't get that. I thought they were just the hierarchy of the Wesen world.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No, the royals are human. That's why Renard is looked down upon by his family...he's tainted with Wesen blood.

I think where it gets fuzzy is the relationship between the Grimms and the Royals. I thought they previously said that in the ancient past, the Grimms were used by the Royals as the way to keep the Wessen in their place?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

So you're saying that they don't like his Wessonality?

Quote:
I think where it gets fuzzy is the relationship between the Grimms and the Royals. I thought they previously said that in the ancient past, the Grimms were used by the Royals as the way to keep the Wessen in their place?
Yes, that was stated and it seems like (based on previous dialog) the Royals are the Power behind the rulers in Europe.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Quote:
No, the royals are human.
Quote:
Wow. I missed this one. Royals are human!? So this must have been mentioned in an episode. Anyone remember which one?

I always thought that the Royals were using the Wesen to kill the Grimms.

Now you are saying that the Royals and the Grimm are working together?

Something isn't making sense in my mind.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The place of the royals in all this has never been explained.

Yet.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
wprager

Grimm Wiki to the rescue:

Quote:
The Conversation

After Kelly removes a rolled piece of paper from the cabinet in Marie's Trailer.

Nick: What is that?
Kelly: A page from one of the first diaries ever kept by one of us. You see, legend has it that there are seven keys.
Nick: Seven?
Kelly: Forged by knights who fought for the seven royal families in the fourth crusade. Now, when you put the maps together, they make one big map, leading to the location where the knights hid the precious wealth they took from Constantinople after they sacked and burnt it. Those knights are our ancestors.
Nick: What, so they worked for the seven royal families.
Kelly: Some of them did. Well, they needed us.
Nick: So the Wesen fought for the royals?
Kelly: Yes, and the royals needed the Grimms to control them, as they do now, but there was one thing in the treasure the knights hid. There was one thing that was more powerful than anything anyone had ever seen. If the royal families got ahold of it, they could control the world.
Nick: Okay, so nothing really big. I guess they hid this thing pretty well?
Kelly: Sure, yeah. They made a map, they cut it into seven pieces, they gave each knight a key.
Nick: What was so powerful?
Kelly: I wish I knew. This is the only page left of the diary. which was destroyed in the Wesen wars of 1285.
Nick: Okay, now I have a headache.
Kelly: Nick... They know you have the key.
Nick: Who?
Kelly: The royal families. They're the only ones powerful enough to send the Mauvais dentes. My guess is, they want the key and they want you dead.
Nick: How would they know I have a key? I haven't shown it to anyone.
Kelly: There must be somebody in Portland who knows. I think we have to get to Kimura, because he might give us the connection. We need to talk to him.
Nick: You cannot go to the precinct.
Kelly: No, but you can.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

You guys are making me feel dumb. I feel like I have to go back and rewatch all the episodes and take notes. I didn't think this show was so complicated.

Serves me right for treating it as casual couch potato fodder.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Quote:
He looked very similar to what Adalind looked like in her Wesen form IIRC.

This from the guy whose memory is admittedly not the best when it comes to these things.
So it looks like I was correct. Adalind is a full Hexenbiest. Renard is half human half Hexenbiest.

And from the Grimm Wiki . . .

Quote:
When they woge, unlike many other Wesen, Hexenbiests still appear human, however their skin decays so that it resembles a corpse, their teeth sharpen, and their hair turns grey.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
waynomo
My One Time

And a little bit more about Renard.

Quote:
Renard is a member of one of the Royal Seven Houses. Hexenbeists work for royalty; the second Reaper of the Grimm who came to avenge Hulda and slay Nick knelt before him. Leo Taymor refers to Renard as royalty, as did the priest.
I don't know where they get all this from. I feel like I have never even watched the show.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Adalind is a full Hexenbiest.
Adalind was a hexenbiest. Now she is human, since Nick took her wesen mojo away.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
stellie93

Guess I'm going to have to quit playing solitaire while I watch Grimm.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

This show went away for so long that I'm surprised that I remember anything about it.

I didn't like Juliette even when she and Nick were together.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I didn't like Juliette even when she and Nick were together.
I liked her for about 15 minutes, when she knew what was going on. But of course they ruined that immediately.

I've always hated "We have to keep this a secret from everybody because yeah." Sure, it creates drama, which is the lifeblood of serial television. But it seems like it's been years since anybody has even made a serious effort to come up with a good in-story reason for it.

Scooby gangs are so much more entertaining to me than clueless morons.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
I liked her for about 15 minutes, when she knew what was going on. But of course they ruined that immediately.

I've always hated "We have to keep this a secret from everybody because yeah." Sure, it creates drama, which is the lifeblood of serial television. But it seems like it's been years since anybody has even made a serious effort to come up with a good in-story reason for it.

Scooby gangs are so much more entertaining to me than clueless morons.
That's why Grimm has gotten better as they've brought everyone into the fold. Nick always had Monroe, which was good. Then we got Rosalee, great. Add Hank in, now you're talking.

Pretty soon only Sgt. Wu will be left out.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Although I'd say Hank is the only one of those who counts, since the rest are already in on it by virtue of their nature. And yes, I cheered when Nick finally (belatedly) told all to him.

Juliette is the outsider who doesn't already know, and it was positively criminal of Nick to keep it from her (thus endangering her life, unbeknownst to her). Which is why it annoyed me to no great end when they revealed the secret to her, thus eliminating Nick being a bad person and her necessarily being an idiot...and then immediately give her amnesia.

The sad thing is, this is a better show than that. Clearly, they just didn't think through the logical consequences of Nick not telling people, because that's THE WAY IT'S DONE. I do like that they've managed to shake that way of thinking, and in Hank's case bring him in, and in Juliette's at least consider the moral implications of keeping her in the dark.