TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #121
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
* Store all user settings- channels preferences, show ratings, menu preferences, season passes, etc, on a removable flash card, like an SD card. This would prevent loss of that data when the hard drive crashes, would enable easy transition with a replacement box, would grealy ease upgrades to new boxes, and would increase performance
I think these settings would be more reliably stored on Tivo's servers and then automatically downloaded to a new Tivo when necessary instead of just being on SD flash. They could also beef up the website to allow access to these settings so that changes can be made and then propagate down to the Tivo box.

Quote:
* Built-in WiFi G/N.
Dual band N & 802.11 ac is more future-proof.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #122
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

@mrsean Agreed
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #123
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo is moving away from wifi. There is no way it's going to be built in to any future unit. They want people to use MoCa. Wifi is just too unreliable and unpredictable.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #124
Bigg

Quote:
While that is true, what I mean to say is built in TA functionality. The hardware isn't needed anyway.

It would cost them nearly nothing at all to add another port. As it is now, the slide takes one, and the tuning adapter the other. This leaves nothing for a wireless keyboard adapter, the N adapter, a flash drive with video or pixs on it, or some other gadget. Of course if the bluetooth is built in (and perhaps no NEED for a TA) then it might not be an issue anymore.
The slide remote is discontinued, they are moving to MoCA and Ethernet, and TiVo is not really oriented towards flash drive playback in the first place. That only leaves you with a TA if you have one of the crappy cable companies that requires them, and maybe a slide remote if you got one while they were for sale.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #125
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The slide remote is discontinued, they are moving to MoCA and Ethernet, and TiVo is not really oriented towards flash drive playback in the first place. That only leaves you with a TA if you have one of the crappy cable companies that requires them, and maybe a slide remote if you got one while they were for sale.
And perhaps a wireless keyboard dongle
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #126
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo is moving away from wifi. There is no way it's going to be built in to any future unit. They want people to use MoCa. Wifi is just too unreliable and unpredictable.
Too bad it is not Homeplug... then it would work anywhere, like WiFi does. Instead of just places that have coax runs.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Too bad it is not Homeplug... then it would work anywhere, like WiFi does. Instead of just places that have coax runs.
But then you can't use a UPS. So the network connection will go down if the power goes out. Because of that ethernet over the power lines would be an absolute last resort for me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #128
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
HomePlus is a lot less reliable and much more susceptible to interference from bad wiring and other devices that are plugged in.

The reason TiVo is moving toward MoCa is because in most cases people have cable run to the locations where they want to put a TV so it's almost as ubiquitous and power in the places a TiVo would be used and it's significantly more reliable then HomePlug.

The good part is it's all just standard IP so if you want to use Wifi or HomePlug it's as simple as buying a bridge. TiVo wont support it if it's not reliable, but if you can make it work then they'll never even know.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #129
Bigg

Quote:
And perhaps a wireless keyboard dongle
And you have a Slide remote and a keyboard why? You could always just use the app, and then you get your iPhone's keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But then you can't use a UPS. So the network connection will go down if the power goes out. Because of that ethernet over the power lines would be an absolute last resort for me.
UPS is a short term thing, it's not meant to actually use anything, just to either get it shut down gracefully or transferred over to generator power. So I wouldn't really worry about that. That being said, in my apartment with two Homeplug units literally a few feet apart, which are also both like 5 feet from the breaker panel, I'm lucky to get 25mbps.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #130
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
And you have a Slide remote and a keyboard why? You could always just use the app, and then you get your iPhone's keyboard.

UPS is a short term thing, it's not meant to actually use anything, just to either get it shut down gracefully or transferred over to generator power. So I wouldn't really worry about that. That being said, in my apartment with two Homeplug units literally a few feet apart, which are also both like 5 feet from the breaker panel, I'm lucky to get 25mbps.
Personally for me I have my TiVo, external drive, and network switch on a UPS so I don't miss recordings, and the router and cable modem on another UPS so I don't lose internet. Both kept me from missing my recordings during Hurricane Sandy and the power outage aftermath down here in the Jersey Shore.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #131
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
OOooh, that is interesting information I have never heard before. Makes sense that the signal could not go through a UPS, but you could power the ups with one plug on the wall outlet and use the other just for the network. Not as elegant, though.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #132
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I live in a condo so I don't have the option of a generator.
I use UPSs to give me anywhere from 2 hours to 18 hours or more of use for all my electronics. Depending on the devices and how many are connected to the UPS. And the thing I want up the longest, is my network, ONT, and alarm system. Which will be up for at least 18 hours during a power outage., The second longest devices I want up are my TiVos. During a power outage I can use all my electronic devices like normal. Whether it's a receiver, subwoofer, PC, TV etc.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #133
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Wolf View Post
Personally for me I have my TiVo, external drive, and network switch on a UPS so I don't miss recordings, and the router and cable modem on another UPS so I don't lose internet. Both kept me from missing my recordings during Hurricane Sandy and the power outage aftermath down here in the Jersey Shore.
All of my electronics (model, computer, TV, monitor, TiVo, amp, phone, non-laser printer, tuning adapter, Wii, laptop, router, dvd) are on UPS, as should be everyone's'.

* It lets equipment ride through short outages so it can still be used.
* It allows the user time for a better or proper shutdown if necessary.
* It prevents data loss.
* It prevents system corruption due to improper shutdown.
* It prevents timely waiting for things to come back up after the event.
* It prevents hardware damage from under or over-voltage.
* It helps to prevent damage from severe spikes like lightening surges.
* In higher-end units, it also automatically cleans the power of even minor frequency and voltage variations and RF, extending the life of everything connected to it.

Even with above average power reliability at my house (since we are on a hospital grid) I estimate there are still at least a dozen disturbances a year.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #134
Bigg

Quote:
You had cable? How big of a UPS do you have and how long will it last?

Quote:
I live in a condo so I don't have the option of a generator.
I use UPSs to give me anywhere from 2 hours to 18 hours or more of use for all my electronics. Depending on the devices and how many are connected to the UPS. And the thing I want up the longest, is my network, ONT, and alarm system. Which will be up for at least 18 hours during a power outage., The second longest devices I want up are my TiVos. During a power outage I can use all my electronic devices like normal. Whether it's a receiver, subwoofer, PC, TV etc.
If you have a garage, you could put a transfer switch in there, and run the cord under the door when you need to run the generator...
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #135
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The solution that Comcast came up with for VoD should be the model everywhere. It supports any internet connection and doesn't require many changes to the VoD infrastructure.
Disagree - the VOD model should be entirely internet-based, because it would then not tie up a tuner and could have been rolled out to every Premiere at once (like Xfinity on Xbox) instead of this rollout that's taking forever because it has to be enabled on every headend.

Yeah, this wouldn't be great for DSL users, but I'd bet most on Comcast are getting their HSI anyway.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #136
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Amazon and various online websites are still selling them and last I checked TiVo is selling them under the "clearance" section for around 39 or 59 dollars. I liked the Bluetooth controller because it was so much more responsive, however it just felt too small to me compared to the full sized IR remote.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #137
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
That's the key right there, the lower the wattage the longer the UPS lasts, so only having the essentials running help, no monitors or anything like that. Wireless router allows the usage of wireless internet to the laptop. Yes, during and after the storm the internet and television worked great thanks to Comcast.

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-17-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Nachos
Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #138
Bigg

Quote:
Amazon and various online websites are still selling them and last I checked TiVo is selling them under the "clearance" section for around 39 or 59 dollars. I liked the Bluetooth controller because it was so much more responsive, however it just felt too small to me compared to the full sized IR remote.
There's a few available on Amazon for $100 through Weaknees. They are no longer available from TiVo proper.

[quote=Mike-Wolf;9574988]
Quote:
QUOTE]

That's the key right there, the lower the wattage the longer the UPS lasts, so only having the essentials running help, no monitors or anything like that. Wireless router allows the usage of wireless internet to the laptop. Yes, during and after the storm the internet and television worked great thanks to Comcast.
You're really lucky. Most Comcast was totally down for quite a while after the storm if there were any power issues in the area.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #139
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
There's a few available on Amazon for $100 through Weaknees. They are no longer available from TiVo proper.
Quote:
You're really lucky. Most Comcast was totally down for quite a while after the storm if there were any power issues in the area.
You are correct, I just checked TiVo's clearance center and it's listed as out of stock. I just got off the phone with a support agent after being on for an hour and forty minutes and said no one on their end seem to know why it was discontinued either.

I was actually in Stafford Springs, Connecticut when the hurricane and following snowstorm hit and ended up losing power overnight while visiting my friend's grandparents, whom have Cox Cable and didn't have any battery backups. However when I was able to get back home the power was still out and the battery backups were still chugging away. Checking the modem uptime log showed that it had not been reset in over 60 days.

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-17-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Pizza
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #140
Bigg

Quote:
You are correct, I just checked TiVo's clearance center and it's listed as out of stock. I just got off the phone with a support agent after being on for an hour and forty minutes and said no one on their end seem to know why it was discontinued either.

I was actually in Stafford Springs, Connecticut when the hurricane and following snowstorm hit and ended up losing power overnight while visiting my friend's grandparents, whom have Cox Cable and didn't have any battery backups. However when I was able to get back home the power was still out and the battery backups were still chugging away. Checking the modem uptime log showed that it had not been reset in over 60 days.
You got pretty lucky. This area was hit HARD, and we as a state and a society haven't yet learned from any of it. If we had, we'd be beginning the process of under-grounding all of our power and utilities.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #141
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
You got pretty lucky. This area was hit HARD, and we as a state and a society haven't yet learned from any of it. If we had, we'd be beginning the process of under-grounding all of our power and utilities.
Yeah I was surprised when I was up there how unprepared the state was. Took me four weeks to get back to Jersey via the train and bus. What's funny is that I would have thought that after the snowstorm in October of 2011 that lessons would have been learned, especially by the power company and transportation departments and it wasn't.
Anyway I'm looking forward to moving up to Connecticut and seeing what TiVo has to offer for my future house mates.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #142
Bigg

Quote:
Yeah I was surprised when I was up there how unprepared the state was. Took me four weeks to get back to Jersey via the train and bus. What's funny is that I would have thought that after the snowstorm in October of 2011 that lessons would have been learned, especially by the power company and transportation departments and it wasn't.
Anyway I'm looking forward to moving up to Connecticut and seeing what TiVo has to offer for my future house mates.
I was surprised how fast they got rail service back up in the greater NYC area. Utilities are just so obviously a preventable problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #143
jadziedzic

Quote:
Living here in New Hampshire that's a subject we hear frequently. Our local newspaper runs articles on that subject every time we have an extended outage (three times in the past four years). It was estimated it would cost $40,000 PER CUSTOMER to convert the entire power grid in New Hampshire to underground service, and would likely take forty years to do it (which is about ten years less than the fifty year service life of the cabling). Yeah, I know, we have a lot of open space up here, and "they" could concentrate on the cities, but as they say up here, it's still "wicked expensive".

I'm all for it, but how's "society" gonna foot the bill?
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #144
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
Living here in New Hampshire that's a subject we hear frequently. Our local newspaper runs articles on that subject every time we have an extended outage (three times in the past four years). It was estimated it would cost $40,000 PER CUSTOMER to convert the entire power grid in New Hampshire to underground service, and would likely take forty years to do it (which is about ten years less than the fifty year service life of the cabling). Yeah, I know, we have a lot of open space up here, and "they" could concentrate on the cities, but as they say up here, it's still "wicked expensive".

The last neighborhood I lived in had all underground power, and there was plenty of problems, water getting into the xformers, shorts in the high voltage wires that feed the xformers, we lost power two three time a year with heavy rain, in my new home with above ground wires (I have underground feed to my home) rain has never killed the power, it takes a tree to fall on the wires, or a big problem at the switching station.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #145
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post

NH is a lot more rural. If you did 80% POPs in NH, the cost would go WAY down, and for the other 20% POPs, the utility company would have more resources to put them back online after a storm, as they wouldn't have to worry about the other 80%. In CT, we don't have any areas that are as rural as many parts of NH, so to get close to 100% POPs wouldn't be nearly that expensive (certain areas close to the water, prone to flooding, swamps, etc, can't be done), and if you bond it out over 30 years, and do the actual upgrades over a decade or more, it's not that difficult of a project to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The last neighborhood I lived in had all underground power, and there was plenty of problems, water getting into the xformers, shorts in the high voltage wires that feed the xformers, we lost power two three time a year with heavy rain, in my new home with above ground wires (I have underground feed to my home) rain has never killed the power, it takes a tree to fall on the wires, or a big problem at the switching station.
If you do it right, it works.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #146
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The last neighborhood I lived in had all underground power, and there was plenty of problems
The last neighborhood I lived in had all underground power, and there were no problems from that (except when they were installing Fios, also underground -- got a bit careless with their digging at one point).

To be fair, I haven't had significant outages in the new neighborhood, with overheard lines, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #147
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The last neighborhood I lived in had all underground power, and there were no problems from that (except when they were installing Fios, also underground -- got a bit careless with their digging at one point).

To be fair, I haven't had significant outages in the new neighborhood, with overheard lines, either.
And for me to be fair the underground wire was put in in the early 70s, so today the power co.s may be able to do a better job.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #148
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Big Grin

I got to thinking this morning when I got to work and began my daily ritual of surfing the TCF with my first cup of coffee from 7-11, in this case a blueberry coffee with french vanilla creamer FYI. Serious.

I liked to think of the Mini as TiVo's "UNICORN", until it was finally discovered to be real. It was a mysterious, magical, and mystical creature, capable of amazing feats.

Therefore, I would like to preemptively christen the TiVo Series 5 "Bigfoot". It's big, it's powerful, it has tons of intimidating features to lesser creatures, and tons of people have claimed to have knowledge about it, but it will undoubtedly remain hidden for a long time and be the subject of much folklore and speculation until we actually find a real specimen.

"TiVo Series 5; Codename: BIGFOOT" Copyright 2013, NotNowChief
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #149
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I got to thinking this morning when I got to work and began my daily ritual of surfing the TCF with my first cup of coffee from 7-11, in this case a blueberry coffee with french vanilla creamer FYI. Serious.

I liked to think of the Mini as TiVo's "UNICORN", until it was finally discovered to be real. It was a mysterious, magical, and mystical creature, capable of amazing feats.

Therefore, I would like to preemptively christen the TiVo Series 5 "Bigfoot". It's big, it's powerful, it has tons of intimidating features to lesser creatures, and tons of people have claimed to have knowledge about it, but it will undoubtedly remain hidden for a long time and be the subject of much folklore and speculation until we actually find a real specimen.

"TiVo Series 5; Codename: BIGFOOT" Copyright 2013, NotNowChief
I may need some meds first I believed in Unicorns and now I believe in Bigfoot
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #150
Mike-Wolf

(sniffs NotNowChief's coffee for anything extra added to it)

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-21-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: coffee sniffer