Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #301
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use three slides and have not had any issues with them. With text entry I'm not using that every day, but when I do it's typically for a search. And that has worked without problems on my three slide remotes for the 2.5 years or so that I've been using them.

Of course I don't drop my Slide remotes either. It seems like some people are prone to dropping their remotes for some reason which could decrease it's life.
I love the Slide, it is the best product TiVo ever created.
But mine does get dropped a lot... mostly due to meows, and my first one did fail (acting slow, missing key presses). Thankfully I got another before they were discontinued.

It was really stupid of them to discontinue it without having the replacement ready.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #302
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I only have one Slide and it works great except for one issue - pressing select or enter on the keyboard generates the letter 'A' for some reason, not enter. Weird but not a big issue since it works fine on the remote.

It will also randomly decide that it's not sync'd to the BT receiver on the Tivo (which I have moved up to the front of the Elite with a USB cable, it's less than 8 feet from me) but this is rare. It always re-syncs on its own after a few button presses.

It's a great remote otherwise except for the random button presses when I drop it etc. that you don't get with an IR remote.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #303
JWhites

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
As stated in the other new product speculation thread, I KNEW you would post this BEFORE you even posted it.

Is there anything you own that breaks, or has issues you are bothered by (since nothing TiVo-related is ever in those categories)?

I should have asked, in the other thread (actually I will): Why are you so active in saying how great everything TiVo is, and how much value it retains, while never posting any help for those who need help? That seems to be the main draw here (people who Googled a TiVo issue and found themselves here).

It's like as if an Apple iFanBoy droid lost his way and landed here and converted, where most people (seem to be) griping, or seeking help...
Converted? or do you mean defected?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #304
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
As stated in the other new product speculation thread, I KNEW you would post this BEFORE you even posted it.

Is there anything you own that breaks, or has issues you are bothered by (since nothing TiVo-related is ever in those categories)?

I should have asked, in the other thread (actually I will): Why are you so active in saying how great everything TiVo is, and how much value it retains, while never posting any help for those who need help? That seems to be the main draw here (people who Googled a TiVo issue and found themselves here).

It's like as if an Apple iFanBoy droid lost his way and landed here and converted, where most people (seem to be) griping, or seeking help...
What the crap?? As I stated in the other thread, I have always posted my positive and negative experiences with TiVos. Just recently I was the first one to report the TiVo Mini rebooting with Netflix when it switches to 1080P24 output. I guess you have selective memory or something?

And have I owned anything that's broken of course, but it is certainly not the norm for an electronic device I own to break. But they do. I've owned hundreds of electronic devices over the last 35 or 40 years. Most of them have worked without issue but sometimes you can have a problem.

One example was a 40" Westinghouse LCD TV I bought in 2007. It was the only TV I've purchased that I did not get an extended warranty on. And it has been the only TV I've owned that went belly up. Within a month or two after the warranty expired the backlight went out. I never got it fixed and eventually I trashed it since it would have cost more to fix it than to get a new one.

Another example is a ROku 2 I bought sometime over the last couple of years. I got it home and it had some issues. I don't remember the problem but I took it back to best buy to exchange it. I have not had any major issues since with my two Roku2 boxes or my Roku3.

I recently started having problems with my Algolith FLea. So I removed it from my broadcast video chain. But that is over six years old. They stopped making it many years ago and I more than got my $800 out of it. Everything will break if you give it enough time. Nothing can last forever.

What about my launch xbox 360 in 2005?. It had a Red Ring of Death before it was even called that. It happened within a few weeks of launch and MS replaced it within a few days. Out of the dozen or so 360's I've owned I had one other 360 that had a warranty repair during the extended warranty period.

And I've owned at least a couple dozen HD DVD and BD players over the last seven years. I had a couple of the combo HD DVD/BD players that needed to get repaired by BestBuy during the extended warranty period. But only two players out of 24+ players I've owned.

There are other things I've had issues with over the years but it is certainly nowhere near the norm to have problems with electronic devices.

You make it sound like every TiVo should fail or even 25% of TiVos should fail or a very large percentage of electronic devices should fail. And that is just nowhere near reality.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #305
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
I guess THAT would be on MY wishlist for the next TiVo! Some keyboard-entry system that actually works, accepts all necessary characters, and works on every app on TiVo that requires text input!
Have you tried my network remote (see sig)? On a Series 4, it can use the KEYBOARD command, for which I have all of the Slide's codes mapped. The Series 3 is limited to the less powerful IRCODE version of direct text input. (This is purely a software issue, though -- the Series 3 could be upgraded to support KEYBOARD, if TiVo were still updating it. With a USB keyboard, you can actually do a bit more on a Series 3 than with a network remote. I've thought about making a Bluetooth software remote for this reason.)

The apps are another issue... there are different APIs that have been available in different versions of HME, and I'm not sure that the Flash API even supports direct text input. But, my remote can also help with these situations, by translating text to arrow/select sequences. (This only works with TiVo-standard A-Z layouts, numbers, and spaces.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #306
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Of course I don't drop my Slide remotes either. It seems like some people are prone to dropping their remotes for some reason which could decrease it's life. No idea though if you fall into that category. But having four Slides crap out it is completely opposite of the experience I have had with my three Slide remotes.
The one issue there is with the Slide is that there is an internal connector that can be dislodged when dropped. Easy to repair, but the unit does need to be taken apart to do so. I did this often enough I just glued the cable down. Fixed evermore.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #307
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
What the crap?? As I stated in the other thread, I have always posted my positive and negative experiences with TiVos. Just recently I was the first one to report the TiVo Mini rebooting with Netflix when it switches to 1080P24 output. I guess you have selective memory or something?<snip>
Well when 99% of what you post about TiVo is glowingly positive, is it really "selective" that I may have missed or forgotten the 1% of "other"?

I guess the next logical questions would be:

If I put a TiVo sticker on it, before you received it, would you report in the same manner?

If I sold you the worst car on earth, with a TiVo bumper sticker, would you still report in the same manner?

Now I really am pushing it, but it's tongue-in-check, now (and some of it already was).

Your points are taken and considered.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #308
compnurd

Quote:
Well when 99% of what you post about TiVo is glowingly positive, is it really "selective" that I may have missed or forgotten the 1% of "other"?

I guess the next logical questions would be:

If I put a TiVo sticker on it, before you received it, would you report in the same manner?

If I sold you the worst car on earth, with a TiVo bumper sticker, would you still report in the same manner?

Now I really am pushing it, but it's tongue-in-check, now (and some of it already was).

Your points are taken and considered.
and 99% of what you post is negative. just switch to a cable DVR and leave already
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #309
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
and 99% of what you post is negative. just switch to a cable DVR and leave already
Not until something better becomes available.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #310
Dan203
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the standalone DVR business is not really a good business to be in. Between the economics, the push back from the cable companies, and the head aches of dealing with CableCARDs I don't think we're ever going to see a viable alternative to TiVo in the standalone market. I'm actually kind of surprised TiVo stuck it out this long. I'm betting that if they ever make any significant inroads into the cable industry, with the major players not these smaller companies, the standalone product is going to die.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #311
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Unfortunately the standalone DVR business is not really a good business to be in. Between the economics, the push back from the cable companies, and the head aches of dealing with CableCARDs I don't think we're ever going to see a viable alternative to TiVo in the standalone market. I'm actually kind of surprised TiVo stuck it out this long. I'm betting that if they ever make any significant inroads into the cable industry, with the major players not these smaller companies, the standalone product is going to die.
Sadly, I agree with you...
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #312
HarperVision

I think the thing that's holding them back is the initial costs for hardware. They should model it like the cell companies and subsidize the hardware costs and give them totally or almost free and then charge for services. I personally think they'd explode into the market if they had, say, a Best Buy kiosk with the tivos next to a crappy cable dvr playing on a pair of nice HD sets and a sign saying "try me out and take me home for FREE" *monthly service fees apply.

Just my humble opinion anyway. :/
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #313
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I think that the standalone TiVo product is still good for another technology cycle at least. It's a very valuable resource for developing and demonstrating leading edge DVR capabilities, as well as audience measurement and targeted advertising capabilities.

But I agree that TiVo has always been focused on the long-term, and the standalone market is not a long-term market. If Tivo plowed half a billion dollars in to the standalone product (price, product, and ads), they might double or triple their standalone numbers, but would hardly influence their long-term survival possibilities. Their future is the cable companies.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #314
HarperVision

So why not try to take over the cable co's from the consumer's end by implementing my suggestion above?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #315
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I think the thing that's holding them back is the initial costs for hardware. They should model it like the cell companies and subsidize the hardware costs and give them totally or almost free and then charge for services. I personally think they'd explode into the market if they had, say, a Best Buy kiosk with the tivos next to a crappy cable dvr playing on a pair of nice HD sets and a sign saying "try me out and take me home for FREE" *monthly service fees apply.

I get what you are saying. Back in the days when I used to talk to real TiVo high-level types, I was told that for every Premiere they sold, they were already selling them at a loss. I asked what would happen if people hoarded them and never got service. They said that would be a very bad thing for them.

However, many people who get a discount price, versus full-retail, and agree to a 1 or 2 year contract, have been very vocal about how they wound up with a TiVo that didn't work, but still had to fulfill the contract, or pay the price difference, plus penalties.

I think a lot of TiVo users are of the type who don't deal with change well. Look at how many people use the SD UI on their Premieres, which basically makes them a TiVo HD v2.

The last time TiVo updated their policies it rocked the forum. You still see signature lines that reflect that sentiment.

I honestly don't have a "plan" that I could present to reinvigorate TiVo, that would sit well with the masses...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #316
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I think the thing that's holding them back is the initial costs for hardware. They should model it like the cell companies and subsidize the hardware costs and give them totally or almost free and then charge for services. I personally think they'd explode into the market if they had, say, a Best Buy kiosk with the tivos next to a crappy cable dvr playing on a pair of nice HD sets and a sign saying "try me out and take me home for FREE" *monthly service fees apply. /
They tried free TiVos in the Series 2 era. It didn't work then, and I don't see any reason it would work now, given that experience.

I'm not sure people realize how vulnerable TiVo is to the cable companies, especially in an era of changing technologies. The cable companies can effectively kill off TiVo if they really wanted to. TiVo can't make enemies of the cable company - and has amazingly managed not to do so, considering how much cable cards are a thorn in the side of the cable companies.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #317
atmuscarella

Quote:

They did offer the Premiere for free with a $20/mo service cost and 2 year commitment several times, I don't think many people like the deal. Also both my Series 2 units were free after rebates. So TiVo has kind tried what you recommend.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #318
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
They did offer the Premiere for free with a $20/mo service cost and 2 year commitment several times, I don't think many people like the deal. Also both my Series 2 units were free after rebates. So TiVo has kind tried what you recommend.
Yes, they've continued to dabble in trying free TiVos in their special offers. The particular Series 2 attempt I had in mind was a complete revamping of their pricing, and for a long time (4-5 months?), they paid for every weekly Best Buy circular to advertise the Series 2 TiVo for free. This was a major effort, and was unsuccessful. I can't really see it being more successful today, given the top cable and satellite DVRs are much closer in many respects to TiVo (better in some respects, worse in others).
Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #319
Gavroche

Quote:
Of course I don't drop my Slide remotes either. It seems like some people are prone to dropping their remotes for some reason which could decrease it's life. No idea though if you fall into that category. But having four Slides crap out it is completely opposite of the experience I have had with my three Slide remotes.
Have to agree with you here... my housemates ALWAYS drop their remotes on the hardwood floor... which I assume has contributed to the demise of at least 2 of my slide remotes.

But I've had some that I've never dropped... and they still stop working after a while, or work only on IR, which of course doesn't support the actual keyboard.
Gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #320
Gavroche

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Have you tried my network remote (see sig)? On a Series 4, it can use the KEYBOARD command, for which I have all of the Slide's codes mapped. The Series 3 is limited to the less powerful IRCODE version of direct text input. (This is purely a software issue, though -- the Series 3 could be upgraded to support KEYBOARD, if TiVo were still updating it. With a USB keyboard, you can actually do a bit more on a Series 3 than with a network remote. I've thought about making a Bluetooth software remote for this reason.)

The apps are another issue... there are different APIs that have been available in different versions of HME, and I'm not sure that the Flash API even supports direct text input. But, my remote can also help with these situations, by translating text to arrow/select sequences. (This only works with TiVo-standard A-Z layouts, numbers, and spaces.)
I haven't... but now feel that I must, because your stuff is always remarkably solid. But yes, lack of support in all apps is a major sticking point. It was mentioned that the most often-use for the keyboard is search, and I agree, but if you're setting up a new TiVo and have a bunch of passwords to enter for the various services (apps), it's seriously a pain without a keyboard.

While we're on the subject... has anyone else noticed that the TiVo website accepts characters for the login password that the android app simply will not accept? (Example: underscore)

I hope they fix that in the next iteration of the app as well. Ugh... really? I can't use an underscore in my password? At LEAST make it consistent! ARRGH!

I asked for help on this on Twitter from TiVo, which TiVo ignored, but they were quick to favorite my tweet congratulating them on the Emmy win this year.

Last edited by Gavroche : 08-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #321
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

This is going to be an exciting week!!!!!

This week is going to be very exciting...

A lot of TiVo stuff happening!!!!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #322
aaronwt
HD Addict

I hope the S5 shows up!!
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #323
DCleary

I don't understand why the Premiere has an incomplete interface or why it is slow, particularly with apps, but I hope the Series 5 fixes that and that TiVo provides some good incentive to upgrade.
DCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #324
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Because Tivo likes to do everything half-assed?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #325
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
Maybe because they were totally unreliable and never worked?

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get 100 replies stating "Mine works fine! Never had any issues!" or something like that... but I've purchased 4 of those damned things and every single one of them crapped out after a while, for no reason at all.
My first one flaked out early, and dispite repair attempted the RF never really worked. It would often fail to sent keypresses, or else there'd be an unacceptable delay then several presses at once would get processed; almost like the connection dropped and it had to resync and then send buffered commands. (I ended up pulling the dongle and using it as an IR remote which meant no keyboard use)

I picked up a 2nd on clearance and, so far (fingers crossed), it's worked perfectly. (I wouldn't have risked it, but I'd previously borrowed a friend's and confirmed that his worked fine at my house; so it clearly wasn't a site issue)
But the slide's really do seem to be hit or miss...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #326
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCleary View Post
I don't understand why the Premiere has an incomplete interface or why it is slow, particularly with apps, but I hope the Series 5 fixes that and that TiVo provides some good incentive to upgrade.
I don't know why the interface is incomplete, but the reason it's slow is because the hardware is not up to the task. The UI on the Mini is faster and acts the way I've always wanted the Premiere to act. As long as the UI on the new hardware works at least as well as the Mini then I'll be happy.

As for the UI completeness.... There are rumors we'll be seeing a few more HD screens in the next software update. So it looks like they're continuing to plug away at it. Maybe in a year or two so we'll eventually have a complete HDUI.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #327
rogmatic

I really don't understand the HD screens. What needs to be in HD? It is just a blue screen with words on it. All you have to do is make it 16:9 and it looks HD to me.

I will admit to being technologically challenged, but I also don't see why my phone can add third party apps so easily but my TiVo takes 3 years to develop a Netflix app that works.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #328
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I really don't understand the HD screens. What needs to be in HD? It is just a blue screen with words on it. All you have to do is make it 16:9 and it looks HD to me.

I will admit to being technologically challenged, but I also don't see why my phone can add third party apps so easily but my TiVo takes 3 years to develop a Netflix app that works.
The HD screens make better use of the space and resolution then the old screens. The old screens were designed for 4:3 SDTVs and were inefficient when simply stretched to fill new 16:9 HDTVs.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #329
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The HD screens make better use of the space and resolution then the old screens. The old screens were designed for 4:3 SDTVs and were inefficient when simply stretched to fill new 16:9 HDTVs.
I miss being able to use Page Up and Page Down to be able to go up and down an episode from the description screen. While I agree on making better use of the screen space, navigation takes a lot more button pressing and waiting for laggy screen changes, than switching to SDUI and getting to use less presses, with less lag.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #330
Dan203
Super Moderator

My wife hates that change too. I hope they bring it back eventually so she stops complaining to me. She acts like I made the decision or something.