TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

TiVo Series 5

I wanted to start a thread about the series 5 for rumors when it might be released, any features people might want, etc.

I was going to purchase 2 Minis and an XL4, but I've decided to wait until the new series comes out. Was hoping for faster processor and 6 tuners.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

You mean like this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501545
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

My first guess...Iit probably not going to be called a Series 5. It'll likely still be a Premiere just with upgraded hardware.

My second guess... It will be based on the Pace XG1 hardware platform meaning it should be capable of having up to 6 tuners. I also think we'll see a 3 or 4 tuner unit that supports OTA.

My third guess... It'll have a built in H.264 encoder for built in TiVo Stream capabilities.

Now lets see if any of those come true.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Oops.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My first guess...Iit probably not going to be called a Series 5. It'll likely still be a Premiere just with upgraded hardware.
Their next model may not be a Series 5, but there will be a Series 5 eventually (unless they go out of business before then).

P.S. I'm not saying I expect them to go out of business; I'm just saying that the only way I see a "Series 5" not happening at some point (however distant) is if they do go out of business before they get to that point.

Clearly a "Series" can encompass some significant hardware changes (e.g., OLED S3 vs. TiVo HD, or Premiere vs. Premiere 4 for that matter). But at some point -- I don't know when -- there will be something -- I don't know what -- that makes them think, "This deserves a bump in the Series number."

Maybe when they add h.265.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 03-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

He indicated that he was waiting for the Series 5 as if it would be released soon. I don't think that's going to happen. I believe that TiVo is working on a new generation of hardware that will likely be released this year, but it probably wont be called a Series 5.

I think we're going to get another 3+ years out of the Series 4/Premiere line.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
compnurd

Quote:
He indicated that he was waiting for the Series 5 as if it would be released soon. I don't think that's going to happen. I believe that TiVo is working on a new generation of hardware that will likely be released this year, but it probably wont be called a Series 5.

I think we're going to get another 3+ years out of the Series 4/Premiere line.
I agree. It will just be a new model Premiere with faster hardware.

Direct TV has done the Same thing with there HR Line of DVR's

The HR24's came out 2 years ago and just flowed into the system but they had upgraded HW.. Now you have the HR34 and 44 which is the same design but now with the 34/44 have 5 tuners
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I agree that the next TiVo hardware to come will be considered a "Series 4".

I expect a 6 tuner cable model and a 4 tuner OTA model based on the recent FCC filings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I expect a 6 tuner cable model and a 4 tuner OTA model based on the recent FCC filings.
An OTA-only model?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
An OTA-only model?
I would guess it will be both OTA and digital based off the filings and surveys.

Potentially I could see TiVo approach whoever makes the OTA tuner chips to see if they can develop a 4 tuner design. Either that or there are other chip improvements that may make it affordable and efficient to make it both 4 OTA and digital.

The waiver request is to drop Analog tuners which may be enough of a solution.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
I also think we'll see a 3 or 4 tuner unit that supports OTA.
With the mini being advertised as requiring four or more tuners, I don't think we'll ever see a 3 tuner TiVo.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

My second guess... It will be based on the Pace XG1 hardware platform meaning it should be capable of having up to 6 tuners. I also think we'll see a 3 or 4 tuner unit that supports OTA.

My third guess... It'll have a built in H.264 encoder for built in TiVo Stream capabilities.

I like your predictions and think they are probably correct. Except I think a 3 tuner would be odd, 4 is on the mark.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I broke down today and bought a Mini and XL4. We don't have a cable box in our master bedroom, and my wife is pregnant and wanted to watch her shows in the bedroom. So I caved in.

Will probably move the XL4 to the home theater room when a newer DVR comes out (or get another Mini and sell the XL4 on eBay).
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Mike-Wolf

I wonder if HDMI 1.4 will be implemented in the next TiVo since the current Premiere is HDMI 1.3. I'm also hoping that the next TiVo will support all of the features that the current line of TiVo Premiere's have such as support for streaming and transferring so it can be added into a TiVo Premiere centric household. I'm also wondering if TiVo will roll out any software updates to the current line of TiVo Premiere's to bring it on par with the software or feature of the next TiVo, again so the functionality and performance is seamless between current and next line.

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-11-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: cheesesteak
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
MrZarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I would guess it will be both OTA and digital based off the filings and surveys.

Potentially I could see TiVo approach whoever makes the OTA tuner chips to see if they can develop a 4 tuner design. Either that or there are other chip improvements that may make it affordable and efficient to make it both 4 OTA and digital.

The waiver request is to drop Analog tuners which may be enough of a solution.
I would buy a 4 OTA + digital unit so fast it would make someone's head spin. This would be a great solution, supporting both OTA usage as well as Mini and Stream usage! Hurry up, TiVo!!
MrZarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

We just got the Mini. I'm going to bask in that glory for a while.

I've learned to have very low expectations for new TiVo products. With that being said, I will not expect, speculate, or look for a Series 5 box within the next 2-3 years, AT LEAST.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:

Possibly with the 2 drive bays for more storage, maybe a bump to a 3 or 4Tb per drive.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I like your predictions and think they are probably correct. Except I think a 3 tuner would be odd, 4 is on the mark.
The reason I said 3 is because if the new platform only supports a max of 6 tuners, like the current one only does 4, then i could see them doing a 3/3 configuration for a box that does OTA.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
atmuscarella

I certainly would be Interested in a 4 Tuner OTA model that offered increase speed and perhaps more IP/Internet Streaming abilities.

With Digital only combined OTA/Cable units TiVo can offer some interesting options, like a 4+4 digital OTA/Cable combination might be able to record more than 4 channels at once if you were using both the OTA and Cable inputs. Plus now that they have built the Mini with the operating system on flash memory perhaps future units would use the same setup allowing for simple hard drive upgrades (no software to worry about), like allowing dual internal drives again and drives bigger than 2TB.

Not sure TiVo really is into innovating any more but we can still hope
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
uw69

6 tuner box, 4tb hdd, built in capabilities of the current TiVo Stream, and enough internal upgrades to be called a series 5!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

How about we iron out that whole dynamic tuner allocation thing before hammering out that 6-tuner box.

Maybe even that whole Stream/Android thing too.

Thanks.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
How about we iron out that whole dynamic tuner allocation thing before hammering out that 6-tuner box.

Thanks.
Different teams.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Different teams.
Agreed. I meant my comment more along the lines of "let's get the stuff we have on sale right now fully finished before we move onto the next thing we aren't going to finish".
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post

Thanks.
I'd rather get the six tuner TiVo first. As long as it has at least a 3TB hard drive.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

No matter what we all want, one thing is certain. We will be waiting a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for it.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
The reason I said 3 is because if the new platform only supports a max of 6 tuners, like the current one only does 4, then i could see them doing a 3/3 configuration for a box that does OTA.
That would be my guess as well.
TiVo could use a 6 tuner chipset for both a Premiere 6 (digital cable only; like the elite/4/4xl but 2 additional tuners) and a Premiere 3 (ota/cable; like the Premiere/XL but with 1 additional logical tuner).

Although if the minis really will only work with "4 or more tuner TiVos" like their box says that implies they wouldn't work with a 3/3 box - which would still mean no OTA TiVos could support them (which seems an oversight)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bet that 4 tuner limitation on the Mini is temporary. Once they get dynamic tuner allocation working there is no technical reason to set a minimum number of tuners for the host. It makes sense now, with the all or nothing approach they currently have. But we'll likely see dynamic tuner allocation working long before these new units hit, so I bet that limitation is gone before it's an issue.

TiVo has had boxes in the past with wording that no longer applied and the just covered it up with a sticker. No reason they couldn't do that again with any remaining Minis in stock after the software is updated to support dynamic tuner allocation.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
teklock

Quote:
I bet that 4 tuner limitation on the Mini is temporary. Once they get dynamic tuner allocation working there is no technical reason to set a minimum number of tuners for the host. It makes sense now, with the all or nothing approach they currently have. But we'll likely see dynamic tuner allocation working long before these new units hit, so I bet that limitation is gone before it's an issue.

TiVo has had boxes in the past with wording that no longer applied and the just covered it up with a sticker. No reason they couldn't do that again with any remaining Minis in stock after the software is updated to support dynamic tuner allocation.
If that were the case, they would of waited. I don't think 2 tuners will ever work with the mini.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think that's true. Our best info says dynamic tuner allocation wont be available until Q2, which means the end of June. And it's not like TiVo has the best track record with sticking to release schedules so it could end up being September. By releasing the Mini now they not only appease anxious customers but they also potentially drive sales for 4 tuner units which have better margins for them.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Wolf View Post
I wonder if HDMI 1.4 will be implemented in the next TiVo since the current Premiere is HDMI 1.3.
What do you need that 1.4 supports that 1.3 doesn't? That's an honest question. I thought 1.3 did everything people could ever need now, including 3D.. Maybe it doesn't do 4K? We're not going to have 4K sets for a long time.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote