TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Bering Sea Gold - Season Two Thread

Well it looks like some people are just doomed to make the same mistakes over and over.

Either that or Zeke is just a glutton for punishment. Imagine hiring Emily for another season after she demonstrated that her greatest talent was "Drama Queen".

If Verne and Scott don't come to blows again I'll be surprised.

Did I see correctly that the Christine Rose is still relying on "rowing" with the bucket rather than actually proceeding under power?

With all the dredgers being in hock up to their eyeballs I'm not sure I understand Gold Fever.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Worf

Easy come, easy go.

It's just like people who win the lottery - they're good, but within a few years, they're back where they started, except even more in debt and in even worse financial state.

They may have a windfall, but then they go spend it all.

And face it, there's a certain thrill to working only a few months a year to earn what most people would in 5.

And Scott's back? I thought in the after show he was going to be run out of Nome by everyone...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Gregor

I think the allure of gold fever is a chance to strike it big. It's not like there are tons of high paying jobs in Nome going begging for workers.

From some of the comments made, this may be the only route they can figure to getting out of debt. I see a lot of parallels in comments between these guys and the Gold Rush crew.

My guess is they are making much more from the broadcast than from actual mining.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
...Did I see correctly that the Christine Rose is still relying on "rowing" with the bucket rather than actually proceeding under power?...
I said the exact same thing! They either didn't get it fixed or they are using "stock" footage from last year.

I like how Scott is wanting us to believe he borrowed money from the mob or something.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Zephyr

Both of these shows (GR $ BSG) are beginning to bore me... too many previews, recaps, unrelated gold mining activity. They better start mining/dredging, weighing in lots of gold, or else SPD.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
GDG76
Packet Herder

Couldn't believe that the one guy tried to swim out to be on the barge.

"Varneen Akkison" needs subtitles. Also don't know why he brought his daughter other than to get her on TV.

Scott will have a mutiny on his hands before the end of the year. He's a ******bag of the first order.

Why anyone would hire someone in Nome named "Riedel" after seeing this show is beyond me. I'm thinking they got some $$$ for allowing both back on the crews for the drama.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
Couldn't believe that the one guy tried to swim out to be on the barge.

"Varneen Akkison" needs subtitles. Also don't know why he brought his daughter other than to get her on TV.

Scott will have a mutiny on his hands before the end of the year. He's a ******bag of the first order.

Why anyone would hire someone in Nome named "Riedel" after seeing this show is beyond me. I'm thinking they got some $$$ for allowing both back on the crews for the drama.
I agree with everything you said. I think the producers found out Vern had an attractive 21year old blonde daughter and convinced him to put his daughter on the show.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I agree with everything you said. I think the producers found out Vern had an attractive 21year old blonde daughter and convinced him to put his daughter on the show.
Either that, or the attractive 21 year old figured this was a great way to get on TV.

If your name is Reidel, does it automatically make you useless on a boat?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Big Deficit
Happy now?

I wonder how much of this show is real vs the machinations of Tom Beers and company?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Jayjoans

The guy that attempted to swim out to the barge was not in his right mind. Unfortunately, that was proven later on.

Last edited by Jayjoans : 01-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
I wonder how much of this show is real vs the machinations of Tom Beers and company?
Since we know that Storage Wars is a complete crock, not hard to imagine that much of this show is just as false.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
jradosh
Newlywed

Same old, same old.

Even the announcer is boring.

I'm giving it one more episode.

Then probably another.

:|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
...I'm giving it one more episode.

Then probably another.

:|
LOL...the most honest post!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Swimming 1/2 mile in the Bering Sea = Darwin Award runner up.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
vertigo235

i want a show on Diver Dave!!

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
i want a show on Diver Dave!!
That guy was hilarious, but I am hoping it was all an act. He is either going to go postal or give himself a stroke.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Where did Emily ever get the idea that she is a diver? Every time she gets in the water it ends in stark panic. Maybe she got the idea from her Dad who is the second worst diver in Alaska. Gets on the gold and just passes it up and then takes an early break.

I guess it would be a boring show if every one was competent and just did there jobs without fanfare.

I gotta laugh at Vern, who swore Scott was stealing all his gold. He's finding that it isn't so easy.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
Where did Emily ever get the idea that she is a diver? Every time she gets in the water it ends in stark panic. Maybe she got the idea from her Dad who is the second worst diver in Alaska...
I love this!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
jradosh
Newlywed

I'm glad that Diver Dave walked off. He was so over-the-top... even if it wasn't an act it sure looked like an act.

Check out
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
I'm glad that Diver Dave walked off. He was so over-the-top... even if it wasn't an act it sure looked like an act.
you mean swam off.....LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
you mean swam off.....LOL
And given how the episode started (guy nearly dies swimming to the boat) wasn't it a total tip-off to the artifice of the "reality" that the guy swam off the boat at the end of the episode.

Check out
Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
jradosh
Newlywed

no one watching anymore, eh? Or more realistically... there's nothing worth saying anymore.

Check out
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #23
jeepair

I'm still watching. I think the best part of the entire season was Vernon cussing out the Federal Government over the gas can nozzles.

They should redesign the Christine rose and put another backhoe on the other end of the barge, move the pile driver in the middle, enlarge the drop area for the sluce and double production.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
Bob Coxner

Quote:
no one watching anymore, eh? Or more realistically... there's nothing worth saying anymore.
Still watching. Much of the drama went out of it when Scott left. We have been teased for two episodes that someone committed suicide. Maybe we'll learn the details next episode.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
pmyers

Still watching....blehhh

Why don't any of them do multiple divers. To me, the key seems to maximize the little bit of diving time you do get. why not have a setup where you have 2 hoses/divers going into 1 sluice box?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
Legion

Quote:
Still watching....blehhh

Why don't any of them do multiple divers. To me, the key seems to maximize the little bit of diving time you do get. why not have a setup where you have 2 hoses/divers going into 1 sluice box?

Depending on depth you only have so much bottom time before you have to start thinking about decompresson stops etc. That might be a big hassle with the gear they use and currents etc.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Depending on depth you only have so much bottom time before you have to start thinking about decompresson stops etc. That might be a big hassle with the gear they use and currents etc.
Well we've heard them say they've been down for 6+ hours at a time.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Quote:
Well we've heard them say they've been down for 6+ hours at a time.
The fact that the ChrisTine Rose can dig with its limited reach, and the long dive times, they're not going deep enough where decompression is an issue. I think (for most of the boats) the issue revolves around having enough engines, compressors (and fuel) to provide air and suction for two divers. Most of these 'boats' look like they're already about to tip over.

Check out
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #29
Worf

It's not decompression limiting their dives - they're really only down about 10 to 20 feet - but fatigue. They're down there hauling the hose and dealing with the rocks and such for 6+ hours and breathing whatever little air the masks can provide. That gets tiring quickly (and very unpleasant - the masks get clammy and cold and so does your face). The cold also wears you down really quickly - the hot water and wetsuits help, but you still get chilled. And the cold water extracts all the heat from the body, so it works harder and you get more tired trying to stay warm and do the work.

Remember those hypothermia demos? You start to feel numb, your extremities get uncontrollable and you stiffen up and ache. Remember early on the guy who tried to swim a half mile in a wetsuit? The hot water they use helps prolong it from a few minutes to hours, but it still gets to you.

As for multiple divers - they do have that. Just that the Reidels find every ecuse NOT to dive. So your crew of 2 divers is down to one because Steve or Emily refuse to dive.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #30
jeepair

When the camera guys are in the water I'm wondering if they have their own ship/barge nearby and use the air/heat from that or do they double team off of the mining ship?

I'd just use the Reidels as tenders, no need to have them dive and not perform.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote