TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,920
shark tank 3.8.13

wow the kids party people needed a new spokesman. Also the heavy editing was really obvious. i think they marketed their idea wrong and the sharks took the sponsorship in the wrong way. of course i do agree if sponsors were really lined up they wouldnt be in the tank. but maybe the producers saw a successfull thing and let them in the show to get their 5% cut. shows you that the show can be 'rigged' a certain way.

i'm shocked about the cowboy, i wonder how much time passed before daymond really said yes. appeared instant on the show

the phone protection thing seemed like a spam email from the get go plus who wants to wait 3 days for a phone. more than 1 person will definitely abuse the system and they will be out of business very soon

bean bag buy got very lucky and he knew it. the other sharks were probably shocked as was i.
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,490
The cowboy fitness program was moronic. Every heart rate monitor for the past 20 years at least has had an indicator for when you are in the zone. Also, more importantly, the zone is grossly overrated and bordering on "myth" territory. If you work a lot harder over the same amount of time, you are going to burn more fat. It might be a lower percent fat vs muscle but the fact that you are working harder means you are burning more fat. Also, there are better ways to ensure that your body burns fat.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...t-burning-Zone
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Yeah, I thought the kids party thing was a brilliant idea and the sharks would be all over it. They definitely took it the wrong way, and those folks will be hugely successful without the dumb sharks.

The cowboy was a scam (nothing that's not in any other workout).

I liked the phone case insurance. They would just need a 30-day waiting period before paying for any repair once you register the serial number. Then people would have to buy the case, register a dead phone, then wait 30 days to get it repaired. Sure people will do it, but it will stop the people "crap, I just broke my phone, now I'll buy a case and send it in". It's definitely a good idea that needs tweaking. For instance, sell them exclusively in Radio Shack, and you have to register a working phone in-store at POS for the insurance to be effective.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,920
with the workout i think another problem was the guy said it's ANY 12 workouts..well bending over to get the remote off the floor counts as 1 workout to me

i do think they had a bigger problem with the name than they showed.
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
TriBruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 2,879
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yeah, I thought the kids party thing was a brilliant idea and the sharks would be all over it. They definitely took it the wrong way, and those folks will be hugely successful without the dumb sharks.

The cowboy was a scam (nothing that's not in any other workout).

I liked the phone case insurance. They would just need a 30-day waiting period before paying for any repair once you register the serial number. Then people would have to buy the case, register a dead phone, then wait 30 days to get it repaired. Sure people will do it, but it will stop the people "crap, I just broke my phone, now I'll buy a case and send it in". It's definitely a good idea that needs tweaking. For instance, sell them exclusively in Radio Shack, and you have to register a working phone in-store at POS for the insurance to be effective.
My problem with the Phone case, is the case sucked and there are other places to get insurance (SquareTrade, AppleCare+). All they were offering is a 1 year replacement insurance with a $5 case.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I liked the phone case insurance. They would just need a 30-day waiting period before paying for any repair once you register the serial number. Then people would have to buy the case, register a dead phone, then wait 30 days to get it repaired. Sure people will do it, but it will stop the people "crap, I just broke my phone, now I'll buy a case and send it in". It's definitely a good idea that needs tweaking. For instance, sell them exclusively in Radio Shack, and you have to register a working phone in-store at POS for the insurance to be effective.
Squaretrade would crush these guys like the roaches they are by offering a wider selection of cases and allowing you to cross ship your phone with a credit card charge to be reversed once the warranty claim was verified.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Squaretrade would crush these guys like the roaches they are ...
Mr. Wonderfull....is that you?!? LOL

That sounds just like something he would say!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Mr. Wonderfull....is that you?!? LOL

That sounds just like something he would say!
Felt cranky this morning.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Squaretrade would crush these guys like the roaches they are by offering a wider selection of cases and allowing you to cross ship your phone with a credit card charge to be reversed once the warranty claim was verified.
ST also costs at least twice as much and they're not in the case manufacturing or sales business. They are in the virtual insurance business.

I think dropping $50 for a case AND a warranty is a much easier sell to an impulse POP customer than going online to sign up for ST for twice as much (even if their offering is "better".) Like I said, with a little tweaking, their business could work well.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
ST also costs at least twice as much and they're not in the case manufacturing or sales business. They are in the virtual insurance business.

I think dropping $50 for a case AND a warranty is a much easier sell to an impulse POP customer than going online to sign up for ST for twice as much (even if their offering is "better".) Like I said, with a little tweaking, their business could work well.
well you pay for the case/warranty and on top of that a $50 handling fee to take advantage of the warranty. ST wouldn't have to sell the cases themselves, they could just ask you to provide proof that you purchased a case within 30 days of signup. Plus CellHelmet only deals with Iphones atm and only covers you for the first year.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Fine, I'm not going to argue with you about it. It appears to still be a viable company, and I suspect they will continue to do so -- they are serving an entirely different market served by ST and other insurance companies, so you really can't compare the two.

I'm out.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,490
Square trade does not cost twice as much. It's also $50/year, which was the same as this one, I think? And if I heard right, the one on Shark Tank expired as soon as you used it once, whereas Squaretrade can be used up to four times. I'd say the shark tank one is marginally cheaper since it comes with a cheapo case that otherwise would cost you $3-50 (depending on where you bought it).

Still, I think there is some truth to the idea that people will psychologically be more likely to impulse purchase a physical case that comes with a warranty. The problem is, SquareTrade could just start doing that too and crush them.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Square trade does not cost twice as much. It's also $50/year, which was the same as this one, I think? And if I heard right, the one on Shark Tank expired as soon as you used it once, whereas Squaretrade can be used up to four times. I'd say the shark tank one is marginally cheaper since it comes with a cheapo case that otherwise would cost you $3-50 (depending on where you bought it).

Still, I think there is some truth to the idea that people will psychologically be more likely to impulse purchase a physical case that comes with a warranty. The problem is, SquareTrade could just start doing that too and crush them.
You can use CellHelmet as many times during that one year as you want you just have to pay the $50 handling fee each time.

Does ST sell warrantys at POS like purchaseing a cell phone top up card? That would be their next avenue of growth.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
...Still, I think there is some truth to the idea that people will psychologically be more likely to impulse purchase a physical case that comes with a warranty. The problem is, SquareTrade could just start doing that too and crush them.
I totally agree with both points here. I've been in sales and have sold lots of extended warranties and they got MUCH easier to sell when I had something physical to show/sell the customer instead of just a paper or contract.

I also agree that SquareTrade could easily just come in and offer the same exact thing, with their existing infrastructure and crush these guys in a heart beat.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,490
I looked at both sites and the truth lies somewhere in-between, I guess.

SquareTrade covers 4 incidents, either repair or replace. CellHelmet covers unlimited repair and only 1 replacement. Also, CellHelmet doesn't cover certain things like water that SquareTrade does. Nor do they cover the cost to ship to them. I believe SquareTrade is either they overnight you a replacement or reimburse you for repairs at an Apple Store.

So it is not a 100% exact comparison, but certainly SquareTrade is within the same ballpark.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yeah, I thought the kids party thing was a brilliant idea and the sharks would be all over it.
It was freaking ridiculously expensive.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It was freaking ridiculously expensive.
Depends on the target market. Well-off parents can spend tens of thousands on BD parties. And these parents often try to out-do each other. I'm sure they'd have no problem finding customers in the right areas.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It was freaking ridiculously expensive.
i thought they said like 12 bucks a kid?
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i thought they said like 12 bucks a kid?
That's about what I remembered too.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
newsposter
Poster of News
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SE PA
Posts: 32,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
That's about what I remembered too.
so 12 x 3500 for that one party is 42K. not a bad party!
__________________
Tivo Premiere; Hitachi 57 in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
DancnDude
Thrice as nice
 
DancnDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 7,428
I think it was $12-$20 depending on the market the party was in. Different prices based on the location.
__________________
XBox Live Gamertag - DancnDude
Wii code - 5559-0767-1390-1788
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,011
I thought it was like $15. I don't have kids, but that sounds like a lot for a kid outing.. Was this a really special very rare thing? Not sure..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,039
Buts thats for everything including drinks/snacks, optional cash bar for the adults. They said its the same price bracket as going out for a movie. I could see it as a once a month thing for alot of parents. Seems to be highly cost intensive tho, thus the need for advertising support as the main profit generator.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #24
Turtleboy
Registered User
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 47,407
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought it was like $15. I don't have kids, but that sounds like a lot for a kid outing.. Was this a really special very rare thing? Not sure..

$15 for a night out with the kids is a very expensive rare thing?

Really?
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Buts thats for everything including drinks/snacks, optional cash bar for the adults. They said its the same price bracket as going out for a movie. I could see it as a once a month thing for alot of parents. Seems to be highly cost intensive tho, thus the need for advertising support as the main profit generator.
I'm not sure I get the "once a month" thing. Unless you have 12 or more kids, it's only going to be once or twice per year.

Or do you all think the party attendee kids all pay their own fee to get in? That's not how it works, the parents of the party kid pay the entire fee. So it's $15 times the number of kids. Say it's 50 kids, that's only $750 (probably plus food an drinks). Seems pretty reasonable for a BD party.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
Grasshopper AZ
Registered User
 
Grasshopper AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 939
I think this is where they did a poor job of selling the business. I didn't get that it was for "Birthday Parties" specificaly. I thought they came into town and promoted a giant "Rave" for kids. That is why they had sponsers. The sponser could target a large group of kids at one whack.
__________________
HR10-250 stock
HR10-250 stock
HR20-700S
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper AZ View Post
I think this is where they did a poor job of selling the business. I didn't get that it was for "Birthday Parties" specificaly. I thought they came into town and promoted a giant "Rave" for kids. That is why they had sponsers. The sponser could target a large group of kids at one whack.
That's what I got out of it too. This was for VERY large groups of people.

And $15 for a kid to do anything, is CHEAP.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
You're right they didn't do a good job of explaining it at all. You can still have sponsors of the business regardless of it's one huge event or for lots of little events. It makes more sense to me to have a business that runs lots of little birthday parties at these venues.. have one or two booked each week. If it's one huge event once a month or less, that is not a good business. And if that's what it is, I'm not surprised the sharks totally dumped on it, because that's a bad idea.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Grasshopper AZ
Registered User
 
Grasshopper AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
You're right they didn't do a good job of explaining it at all. You can still have sponsors of the business regardless of it's one huge event or for lots of little events. It makes more sense to me to have a business that runs lots of little birthday parties at these venues.. have one or two booked each week. If it's one huge event once a month or less, that is not a good business. And if that's what it is, I'm not surprised the sharks totally dumped on it, because that's a bad idea.
Thats the thing. I don't think they have a venue but instead rent a venue when their travleing little "rave" comes to town. If they had permenant venues then I agree that 3-4 little birthday parties a day on the weekends and a couple of them a day during the week would be a good business. The way I understood the business was that they hit a town, rent a space and throw the party with 100-300 kids and there parents and then move onto the next town.

Either way, 15-20 per head is not a bad price when it comes to kids parties.
__________________
HR10-250 stock
HR10-250 stock
HR20-700S
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,743
Yeah, I know they rent the venues during the day, but that doesn't really matter. They could just have a standing agreement with a local venue and DJ staff to host small or large parties. It's a great use of otherwise empty/dead club space during the day.

If it's like you say, they swing into town for a huge blowout smash, that's a really bad idea.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |